A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Since when is Neurology Service capitalized? - this is ridiculous

Posted: Mar 03, 2014

Years back, the name of the service was to be capitalized if they said the patient was seen by Podiatry or the patient was seen by Neurology.  But if the patient was seen by the neurology service, it was not capitalized.  Why am I being counted off for not capitalizing Neurology Service?  It just looks stupid with it capitalized.  I feel like I'm dealing with people who don't really know what they are doing.  Very frustrating. 

Well - see msg please

[ In Reply To ..]
Check and make sure that it isn't a client preference, dictator preference, work type preference, etc.

Once you know for sure it's not required by one of the above (or, if you're with an MTSO, it's not their preference), then follow proper protocol to dispute it.

I think it's MTSO preference. It's still stupid. - this is ridiculous

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes no sense at all. I have done this job a long time. Used to be the QA people knew what they were doing and made sense. This doesn't make sense. Also saying an account is "verbatim" and not changing obvious errors, but then getting counted off for every had/has was/is, etc. that they must have heard differently than I did, on dictation that you can hardly hear anyway. I have been going through and transcribing and then going back over it with the headphones pressed to my ears so I can hear each word better and try to get every word "right" for QA, and then the next report they still count off. Either very inconsistent QA or they don't know what the they are doing. I miss working with professionals whose goal was to have you use your brain and make judgment calls, put in the right words, make the report make sense. Not people who are only interested in flagging every little thing they perceive to be a mistake which in all my years of transcribing have not been mistakes. Ugh.

What I do - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I just go with the flow on these types of things.

I think if you knew beforehand it was the preference, then you should have just gone with the flow.

If you didn't know, then now you do know and you know that you'll get marked down for it, so let them ehave it their way.

It's not affecting patient safety, so you have to go with the flow.

You do know that the QA person gets audited, too, right? So this means if she or he doesn't correct you/mark you down, she or he gets marked down.

Frustrating, but it's the facts. Just because we've done something for years, doesn't mean we get to decide for someone else.

Trust me, I know it's annoying. But it's the way it is.

I wouldn't have capitalized that either - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't have capitalized that either. I was taught if it had the word "the" in front of it you didn't generally capitalize it. Also, if you substituted the words "Dr. Smith" for Podiatry, Neurology, etc. and the sentence still made sense it was capitalized, and if it didn't make sense (like in "the neurology service" since we wouldn't say "seen by the Dr. Smith") then you didn't capitalize it.

Exactly! I was taught the same thing - - this is ridiculous

[ In Reply To ..]
if you can put "the" in front of it, it's not capitalized.

RE: NEUROLOGY SERVICE IN CAPS - Jasmine

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi,
I agree with you! We were taught to lower-case the first letters of these departments, like pathology service, surgery team, etc.

I also think this looks really odd and grammatically incorrect:
The first word of a sentence if it is a number, should be spelled out, like:

Third-graders should walk in a row, quietly together. NOT 3rd-graders,

Doesn't that look RIDICULOUS??

Twenty-three-year-old white female,
NOT 23-year-old white female?

Even the newscasts have this now!

its ACCT SPECS follow them that simple nm - mjig

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

When it is a proper name of an organizational - entity

[ In Reply To ..]
Some organizational structures use the concept of "service lines." It is a way to identify and focus concerns related to quality, productivity, etc. Just like an electronics company might have service lines for each of 4 different types of products, like TVs, computers, and cell phones, a healthcare entity may have service lines for surgery, engineering, fiscal, human resources, neurology, imaging, etc.

When they do, they are often formally titled the Surgical Service, Engineering Service, and Neurology Service. That makes them proper names.

It doesn't sound at all strange to me because my organization is structured that way. You probably don't have a problem with caps in "Surgery Department" or "Pathology Department" if you recognize them as proper names. You wouldn't with service lines (or "services") if you knew they were proper names.

BOTTOM LINE ANSWER...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, the skill/craft of medical transcription has been dumbed down to suit the MTSOs/clients. Now, I just have to grit my teeth and do what the MTSO account specs/client wants no matter how silly or gramatically incorrect I think it is. One of my accounts wants initial caps for departments/services, my other account does not. All the ranting/raving and posting about how this is wrong will not change anything, so don't sweat the small stuff, follow the specs, and forget about it, is my best advice.

But it's not. That's the problem. - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

How do you know it is not if you work for an MTSO?? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
No msg.

No it is not ridiculous - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the preference of some clients. One of the hospitals I work for (on the East Coast) insists it be Neurology Service. Why not give them what they want? They're the ones paying your salary.

It is... - bleeble

[ In Reply To ..]
In a nutshell, it is ridiculous--especially if you see the RIDICULOUSNESSSSSSS that comes from the new EMR point and click and Raggin Dragin/Voice Wreck. I think its QA and a few leads trying to keep their jobs and rightly so I suppose. Do you think the places CARE about something that petty if the rest of the document if gibberish? Some may not realize on the transcription end here how they look but it is plain ridiculous. Ask for one of your own notes from your own doctor who uses the now infamous EMRs. Horrid. Just horrid.

p.s. especially if pay is horrid - bleeble

[ In Reply To ..]
Being QA'd to death by petty stuff and then being asked to correct it on your own time and/or then fired because you missed something so petty makes it even worse.

Exactly. I have had my own accounts and - Older MT

[ In Reply To ..]
the doctors really DO NOT CARE about petty stuff like that. They don't. In every case when there was nitpicking about stuff like that, it was because of some set of rules made up by MTSO, or QA, or somebody on the transcription side. It was definitely not the providers complaining. Yeah, there are things that DO matter and DO affect patient care, but that is not one of them. The doctors actually are pretty easy to please, in my experience. In all the years I had accounts of my own, I was never told to do something this way or that way; they left it up to my judgment and all I ever got was compliments from the doctors I transcribed for, never criticism.

Oh yeah, and I worked for a hospital until recently. You guys should have seen the discharge medication reconciliation lists that were autopopulated. I don't know who puts the information in. I think maybe sometimes PA, sometimes resident. But strict QA for the MTs and then you should see what a mess the discharge med list was, with misspelled words, etc. We used to type them in before they were autopopulated. After they started being autopopulated, I was embarrassed to have my name on that report lest anyone think I transcribed that med list. And if they don't care that the discharge meds are misspelled, why the hell would they care if neurology services was capitalized or not? The answer: They wouldn't. It's just something to ding MTs on. Instead of focusing on the work, we are getting sidetracked by the focus being placed on things that don't matter.

Another viewpoint - VA MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for the VA and they capitalize so many nouns as a sign of respect. The Veteran, the Army, the Operating Room, the Neurology Service, any mention of rank, any medals or honors, any kind of program, it goes on and on. The Veteran was seen by Physical Therapy and completed his physical therapy. You just get used to it and use your autocorrect. Account specs rule the day.

Explanation - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, Veteran is capitalized as a form of respect when it is used as a title. (The Veteran has an appointment, but he is a Korean War veteran.)

Everything else you listed are capitalized because they are proper names. There will be an organizational entity called the Neurology Service in that facility. There are locations called the Community Living Center and the Operating Room. There are honors and medals called the Purple Heart and Meritorious Service Medal. Homeless Veterans Program.

The Army is short for the United States Army, a proper noun, the formal name of an organization. Most countries have an army, just as we have an army, but someone who serves in the US Army serves in the Army.

Similar Messages:

Remedy Self Service Portal - Is That The Same As Qcare Self Service?
Apr 06, 2012

x ...

Neurology H&P
Sep 27, 2010

Could anyone help me with a couple of things I'm tring to figure out in this chapter 14 Neurology H&P report ? I am stuck on... She has had an operation to release a tethered cord and also fusion ________ . (sounds like somekind of swan.) She also had medicines revoked potential, which showed abnormal bilateral tibial mass reovke potential in both the normal position and in "Buddha position".  (not sure if this is correct or makes sense.) Deep tendon refelexes are equal. _____ ...

Neurology?
Oct 05, 2010

I'm about to start transcribing a neurology clinic.  Any comments on neurology transcription?  Thanks! ...

Neurology MRI
Feb 21, 2011

The patient had an MRI/MRA. Sentence is: The aneurysm remains occluded by the corels/corals/quirls?  It is impossible to tell what is going on in the left supraclinoid internal carotid artery because of the presence of the stent and the artifact from it. ...

Neurology Word
Dec 29, 2009

Anyone ever heard of something that sounds like "tachythemic speech"... Thanks in advance! ...

Neurology Term?
Jan 16, 2010

Tone is normal. No cogwheeling. (Dechinary??) flexions are equal. Thank you ...

Neurology Head CT Help Please
Apr 06, 2010

Head CT findings show ipsilateral s/l ex-wy-i-co distension of the lateral ventricle ...

Neurology Tests See Msg
Jun 10, 2010

neurologist ordered ANA test and line panel.   Is "line" panel correct?  Not saying liver panel. ...

Can Someone Help With Neurology Question? S/L BNS Or DNS
Aug 10, 2010

She says this in two places, once in the subjective and once in the plan. S:   The patient was last seen for continued follow up due to her history of myoclonic seizures and BNS for intractable seizure activity on 05/18/10. P:  I did discuss with the patient that we should check BNS today, she did decline that at this time.  We will recheck this at her next visit in three months and I advised patient if she had any concerns, to contact us sooner, and we would see her sooner ...

Neurology..please See Message
Apr 15, 2011

Her palate elevates symmetrically upon s/l "fination."  TIA! ...

Neurology Scoring?
Jan 18, 2012

s/l ranson level 3 at the time of admission, level 6 at time of discharge. ...

Craniectomy/neurology
Jan 18, 2012

I'm an MT student and I'm struggling with this dictation. it sounds to me like he says "where he underwent a craniectomy, which removed the left subdural bled." However, the MT grading my papers says that bled and bleed are "the incorrect form of the correct word". I thought those were the only 2 forms of the word??  ...

Neurology Brain MRI
Jul 30, 2012

There was felt to be ______ of hemosiderin throughout the large cyst, suggesting prior hemorrhage. (s/l a profrogram/proforgim). I keep listening and cannot grasp. Cannot hear "component." Am pretty sure of the p sound at the beginning, f in the middle, and the m at the end. Only have about 20 minutes before it is due. TIA for any ideas. ...

FSTS In Neurology?
Nov 09, 2012

Anybody know what this stands for? Searching long time. ...

Help With Neurology Word
Oct 05, 2014

MENTAL STATUS: The patient is awake, alert and generally very anxious, with pressured and thick speech. She is unable to sit still and is very ______ (doc spells it out twice as "akithetic").   I am sure she is trying to relate a word like "akinetic," because the admitting diagnosis was difficulty with coordination and walking, but she clearly spells this out twice as "akithetic." Has anyone else used this word before?  ...

Neurology Term
Feb 26, 2015

I work for a mental facility.  Anyone know the correct spelling of what sounds like "choreaothesis?"  The hundreds of previous reports I checked have it as "chorea thesis" but I can't find either in any med books.  It apparently is a symptom.  Could it be 2 specific conditions instead of 1?  Thanks. ...

Neurology & Neurosurgery References
Feb 26, 2010

I am picking up a new clinic and I am hoping those of you who have been doing Neuro/Neurosurg might be able to suggest some of your favorite links for these specialties.  I am very excited about the new clinic, but pretty nervous too.  There is so much to learn.   Any ideas on where I can find the best references in these fields?  Thanks in advance.... ...

MEP - Neurology - Back Surgery
Oct 13, 2010

Motor ___________ Potential ??? What is the middle word?  MEP.   Thanks. ...

Neurology/head Term
Apr 05, 2011

Neurology report. Says tenderness in the mid anian region (talking about the head/brain and spells anian). Have seen this before and thought it started with an o but now cannot find. TIA ...

H&P Neurology Report, Lots Of Help Needed
Aug 06, 2010

I have been on this report for 2 days now. I have managed to figure most of it out but I am really lost on one paragraph. After she dictates all the information under Physical Examination she goes into another paragraph describing more of the patient's symptoms. Is there supposed to be heading before that paragraph? Also, below is a few sentences from that paragraph that I just cant make out. Any help would be great. Thanks again. Tone is normal no clog whealing. Degenerative reflexes ar ...

Should Pneumovax Be Capitalized?
Oct 12, 2009

as in the pneumovax vaccine? thanks! ...

Is Candidiasis Capitalized
Apr 10, 2010

x ...

Glucometer Capitalized Or Not?
Jul 15, 2010

Is glucometer supposed to be capitalized or not?  ...

Ceftaz Capitalized Or Not?
Aug 25, 2010

Dictator states vancomycin and ceftaz. QA changed it to Ceftaz. Which is correct? ...

Plain Gut, Capitalized Or Not?
Feb 15, 2011

"...a segment of tube was oscillated and tied off using 2-0 plain gut ( or Plain Gut)..." Thank you ...

Phyrgian Cap - ?capitalized - SM
Apr 04, 2011

Hi, all, My (oldish) Stedman's Radiology Words doesn't show it capitalized, but almost every other (credible) reference does.  Anyone got something definitive on this? Thanks :) ...

Is Centigrade Capitalized?
Aug 07, 2011

I find that Celsius is capitalized, but no help with centigrade. Anyone ? thanks..... ...

Phaco Blade-capitalized?
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone know whether "phaco"  as in "phaco blade" is capitalized or not?  Is there a chance it would be one word:  phacoblade?  Thank you so much for your response in advance!!! ...

Is Carbo/taxol Capitalized ??
Feb 15, 2010

x ...

Would Agent Orange Be Capitalized? SM
Oct 06, 2010

"The patient was exposed to Agent Orange during the Vietnam War."   Thank you kindly! ...