A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Per minute rates - SM

Posted: May 07, 2012

I need some help I think my mind is fried...Does anyone know how to compare pay per minute of dictation to a per line rate?

Example - 0.0972 per line versus 1.056 per dictated minute

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you very muc and please excuse my ignorance, but I am getting frustrated trying to compare the two.

I've never contracted for a per min rate, but .... - Eva

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taught to count on at least 10 lines per min.

Based on that - at 0.0972/line - if the doc speaks at a rate of 10 lines per min - you would make $.97 for that report. So the per-min rate would be in your favor, slightly.

However, if the doc speaks fast and clearly, and they know exactly what they want to say [the type you can make good expansions for], those are the reports that you can get 20 lines/min of dictation [or more].

Of course that would be at least $1.94 at the 0.0972 rate.

On the other hand, if it's horrible dictation where you have to leave a lot of blanks, I believe you'd come out better with the per-min rate.

I was paid by minute - Seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
And really I don't see how you can "convert" the 2. I can tell you this, I was paid $1.00 per dictated minute and aimed for $100 a day. When we switched to lph, I believe the rate was 0.08, I still did approximately 100 minutes for $100, give or take 10 minutes in either direction. But it's hard (if not impossible) to compare accurately because if you have a speedy talker he's going to obviously do more lines in 1 minute than someone stuttering through the report or changing his mind constantly.

Thank you - for the info - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Radiology Paid Per Minute? Is $1/dictated Minute Good, Bad, Average?
Mar 01, 2010

Have 4 years experience.  Mostly acute care/basic 4.   Got a job offer for Radiology using Meditech platform and pay offered is $1 per dictated minute.  This is an IC job.  Haven't done radiology exclusively before and haven't been paid per dictated minute either.  Thoughts? Thanks! ...

To Be BOS Correct, How Would One Write This: 3-4 Minute Episode, 3 To 4 Minute Episode Or 3 To 4-mi
Jul 09, 2013

I question things now that I never before questioned in my life!  Thanks for any help. ...

I Had A 10 Minute Report And....
Dec 14, 2009

only got 37 lines from it.  This nutter dictating kept putting me on hold (with the worst music) every section of the report so he could look it up in the patient's chart!  I hate it when they do that stuff!  There would be no way I would go to this guy as a patient.  Anyone who is that unorganized is not going to operate on me!   Breathing deeply now, rant over. ...

0.16 Per Audio Minute?
Feb 05, 2010

Has anyone heard of pay at 0.16 per audio minute for medical transcription?  They told me I could make at least $10 an hour or more at this rate.  This seems impossible to me... What do you think? ...

Lines Per Minute
Mar 01, 2010

I have been an MT for 12-years now.  I used to get paid hourly, now they are suggesting 12.5-cents per line. Is this too low?  Is 12.5 cents per line fair, anyone know?   ...

NJA Under The 15 Minute Window
Apr 14, 2010

Lately, when I get NJA it is just long enough to slow my production down, but not long enough to report it.  It only lasts about 10 minutes most times.  Does everyone else wait the 15 minutes before reporting as we are supposed to, or do you report it right away? ...

Would It Be Too Much To Ask To Get A 5 Minute Window
Mar 06, 2011

Seriously, I was 11 seconds (according to my punch clock) past the scheduled start of maintenance on submitting a really long job and it didn't go through.  I think they should wait 5 minutes for the last minute submissions or at least hang onto the job and have it submitted after maintenance.  ...

Pay By Dictated Minute-sm
Apr 05, 2011

Anyone get paid by dictated minute -- How profitable is it for you?  Considering options?  is there a catch? ...

When A Keystrokes Add Says Pay By Minute
Sep 01, 2011

of dictation for a radiology position, what does this mean?  So much per minute or a flat rate for a total of minutes per day?   ...

$1.20 Per Dictated Minute
Mar 21, 2012

Hi All:    I was looking at a job posting, but they pay as stated above.  I have never worked for anyone that pays like this.  Does anyone know what this would average out to be per line based on 65 space?  It is not Radiology. ...

Pay Per Minute?? Good Or Bad
Apr 10, 2012

I have never been paid by the minute before and I was wondering what is a good rate? I have been offered 0.08 cents per minute up to $1 per minute depending on the dictator. Right now I am getting paid 7.5 cents per line. I average 800-1000 lines per day on the account I am on now. Does anyone know how to figure pay on the minute versus the line?? Thanks in advance!! ...

Pay Per Minute Of Dictation
May 03, 2012

Hope everyone is having a great day...I have an interview for a position that pays by the minute of dictation...I have never been paid this way or no anyone who has so am at a total loss as to the average, what it calculates to per line, hour, etc.  Anyone who knows anything about this and can share would be so very much appreciated.  I have not interviewed yet so don't know the rate but just want some info so I don't go in completely in the dark. Thank you! ...

Milliliters Per Minute?
Jun 04, 2012

GFR is 23 milliliters per minute. Should this be typed mL/min. I haven't typed this in years, and I have forgotten if I should type it all out or just abbreviate it. Even then, I'm unsure if my abbreviation is correct. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Pay Per Audio Minute At 7 CPL?
Jul 19, 2012

Experienced MTs needed for multiple accounts/specialties - CCT Posted: Jul 19th, 2012 - 9:12 am Experienced Medical Transcriptionists needed on several accounts (3 years of MT experience is required to apply for each of the below) - Multispecialty account (orthopedics, gastroenterology, plastic surgery, internal medicine, oncology) - pay is per audio minute of dictation.  Full time applicants only.  Upon signing contract, please note it will take at least 5 busin ...

I Have Been Told Nothing About The 15 Minute Pay
Mar 19, 2013

I was not told anything about taking 15 minutes when no work available.  I have read something to the effect of taking 15 minutes pay when no work available.  I'm confused.  Why hasn't my TCM told me about this?  I work on new acct, haven't been with MModal that long, but shouldn't I have been told about this as I ran out of work and was told to just clock out if no work.  ...

New 6-minute Rule-sm
Aug 14, 2013

When you get NJA you have the 3 options as we did before.  When you choose to "make up time", at the very end of the explaination, it says something along the line of entering a leave request on teamwork for excused no pay?  This only makes sense if in fact you cannot or do not make up the time, but the policy does not explain it that way.  Example:  You work 2 hours and get NJA.  You have 6 hours to make up and can only make up 4.  The remaining 2 hours must be en ...

Pay Rates...
Oct 20, 2010

Does Medquist still have 2 pay rates--one for straight transcription and one for speech recognition? ...

VR Rates
May 18, 2011

From VR to a new technology called VRWTCY  which stands for very real way to to cheat you ...

Anyone Get New PTO Rates Due Out On 07/24? Nm
Aug 01, 2011

nm ...

MQ Pay Rates?
Oct 06, 2011

What pittance rates DOES MQ pay these days for VR and for straight typing?  (Again, as I mentioned elsewhere on the board, I ask because my department is beginning union pay negotiations as we move to using DocQSpeech for most of our work, so I expect management will be trying to use MQ's pay rates as their point of reference.) Thanks! ...

Going Rates?
Dec 14, 2011

I have been working as an MT for a little over 2 years now and was wondering what the going rates for transcription and editing reports are?  I am currenly an IC doing only transcription at a rate of $0.065 per line.  The line is definced as 65-black character line and it does not include spaces.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

VR RATES!!!
Mar 27, 2014

Who can make a living on VR rates??? I've come to the conclusion, like so many others, it's time to move on. Been an MT for 9 years. Went from making $24 an hour gross to making less than minimum wage with VR! So sad. ...

IC Rates
Jan 13, 2015

Hello all...after 17 years, I'm sick of playing by others rules and want to venture into the world of IC. Could those of you doing IC work give me an idea of what to be asking per line? Any insight into any aspect of IC would also be helpful. Thanks! ...

Rates
Mar 19, 2015

My transcription business has decreased due to EMR. Now I've been offered a job to proof the EMR. What should I expect in compensation?  By patient? By hour? Plan to continue to work from home. Thanks! ...

Going Rates
May 27, 2015

To any IC setting their own rates, what are the going rates for transcription these days?  I had my own small business 20+ years ago and charged $1.25 per full page. Any info would be appreciated! ...

PTO Time In 15 Minute Increments
Nov 05, 2009

Just got an email saying we could now take PTO in 15 minute increments.  Haven't quite figured out yet how this benefis MQ, but I am sure it does.  Any thoughts.  ...

I Just Wanted To Take A Quick Minute To Say I Really
Feb 22, 2010

An hour or two ago, I had a word question and put it on the word board and within a matter of five minutes, someone posted the answer.  I know we all have our own opinions and experiences but I am an MT with 20 plus years of experience and my mind just went blank on this word.  Well, I was glad this fellow MT helped me out, so I did not have to send this to QA.  I looked up the word again myself just to be certain not that I doubted this other MT and then I took a minute to thank ...

Regarding Clocking In/out Right To The Minute, Or Being Locked Out..
Mar 06, 2010

You are all ready to clock in at precisely the scheduled time only to lose internet connection.  This has happened to me many times, and by the time I have unplugged and replugged and reset modem, and that doesn't work, so had to get on phone with internet tech support, 30 minutes or more have passed by....then what?    OR,  if the power goes out, which can be anywhere from a quick flash on and off to longer....then what?   OR, when getting close to end of shift ...

In The Middle Of A 25 Minute Report
Jun 20, 2010

I get a pop up that says my current DQS log in has expired and the system will shut down. Then it shut down on me.  I was TYPING at the time.  I swear, if I log back in an all that work is gone, I am going to go ballistic on someone!! Has anyone else had this happen? ...