A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Neuro exam or extremities? sm - GT

Posted: Jun 22, 2015

When the doctor dictates about the gait and tandem gait, do you leave that under extremities if he dictates it there?  He usually says it at very end of physical exam, and I am unsure if he just forgot to dictate "NEUROLOGICAL" heading or what.  Sometimes he does dictate a NEUROLOGICAL heading and puts the gait there as well as other things, but then many times he dictates it at end of extremities and does not give separate heading.  What would be the appropriate thing to do in this case?

Check your acct guidelines - but

[ In Reply To ..]
I would leave as dictated unless the account guidelines specify to change it.

Personally, I add NEUROLOGIC: - NJMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Since not really part of extremity exam but the neurologic exam. I work for a company STRICTLY follows the BOS, and I add headings for such things all the time and don't get dinged. If all else fails, ask.

definitely need to ask your company - and do as they direct

[ In Reply To ..]
It can be part of either the extremity exam or part of the neurological exam; neither is wrong, but it is a matter of what the person who pays you wants.

I do a lot of orthopedics and that term is stated commonly on the extremity exam. I never add a heading for it. I type as dictated.

(I'm scratching my head wondering what the BOS has to do with someone deciding to add a heading and never getting dinged for it...)

Similar Messages:

Neuro Exam Extremities S/l "slashsisty"
Jan 13, 2011

Patient with cerebral palsy.  On the neuro exam, the ES doc (what else??) says:  "This patient has mild s/l "slashsisty" in both legs.  I was thinking of some kind of dystrophy, but I don't know what the "slash" part could possibly be. Any ideas? ...

ER Extremities Physical Exam
Jun 24, 2011

Never seen or heard before. New doc states in extremities portion...No clubbing, cyanosis or edema.  EDVLSWNL. At least that what is sounds like. Could possibly be EDVLSWNO but don't know what that would be either. Has anyone here heard of this? Thanks! ...

Physical Exam. Extremities
Dec 01, 2010

Physical Exam:  Extremities (sounds like no tumor). What could it be? ...

Extremities Physical Exam
Jun 30, 2011

I have listened to this over and over and it sounds like this doctor is saying, "No clubbing, cyanosis, edema, or lesions.  Full range of motion s/l of/in both pulses."  Then he goes on to the neurologic part of the exam.  Can anyone help me with this, please? ...

Neuro Exam Help And Thanks
Oct 30, 2009

Her deep tendon reflexes are (1-2)(+) in the brachial s/l "ray alis", biceps, Achilles, and patellar tendons, and symmetric.   thanks! ...

Neuro Exam Sm
Nov 07, 2009

Cranial nerves II-XII grossly intact except for left facial s/l nerve lesion on central pathology. Does this make sense? ...

Physical Exam: DTRs Equal 2+ 4 Upper And Lower Extremities.
Jun 20, 2010

Unsure how to correctly type the 2+ 4.  Does she mean 2+/4??  Thanks for helping. ...

Neuro Physical Exam - Thanks!
Jan 26, 2010

Disks sharp on funduscopy.  Cranial nerves 2-12 intact.  No signs of appendicular s/l "cori ditosis", dysmetria, ataxia.  Reflexes were 1/4 bilaterally with no asymmetries.    thanks.  ...

Neuro Exam: S/l Iperarays
Jan 26, 2011

I feel like I should know this but I don't.  During the neuro exam, doc says: "Patient's smile and s/l "eye-per-ar-rays" or "hyper-ar-rays" are symmetrical." Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. ...

Neuro Exam Word Help. Please SM
Apr 29, 2015

NEUROLOGIC:  The patient is alert.  She really is nonverbal.  She makes occasional vocalization.  She has a lot of  _______________ (s/l hand datontism).  She is intermittently holding up her left with her left finger, but is easily distracted from this activity. ...

S/l 'case Preference' On Neuro Exam
Jan 08, 2010

It's a patient with with severe global aphasia. He dictates the following: Cranial nerves, of course she cannot cooperative to measure and test visual fields. She has some spontaneous extraocular motility, and overall, most important, I did not see any **s/l 'case preference' **  He goes on to say there is no nystagmus. She does have a right central facial palsy. ...

Neuro Exam- Babinski Or Brudzinski?
Mar 17, 2010

He says-   No s/l "vavinski" sign.  Does he mean Babinski or Brudzinski?? ...

S/l Fencer's Sign In Neuro Exam
May 22, 2010

Neuro exam/reflexes, dictator says "she almost has s/l fencers sign"   ...

Neuro Exam - Lassig? And Bow String?
Sep 30, 2011

In the neuro exam it sounds exactly like Lassig and neg bow string bilaterally.  I cannot find either. ...

Neuro Exam--brisk Tone?
Jul 23, 2012

Dictated on Neuro Exam:  "Although she had no clonus, her tone was extremely brisk."  I have typed Neuro for a long time and have never heard of brisk tone.  Thanks in advance! ...

Neuro Exam - Head-to-shin Movements?
Jun 30, 2010

She very clearly dictates:  He was also unable to perform finger-to-nose and had difficulty performing "head-to-shin" movements. That can't be right, can it?  I would think it would be difficult for most people to perform "head-to-shin" movements.  Ouch! ...

Okay, Stupid Question Here ... Neural Deficit Or Neuro Deficit On Physical Exam
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks so much!! ...

Neuro Exam, Negative Pronator Drift, Negaive S/l "smitri" Test TIA
Mar 12, 2010

xxx ...

Ma ScoIn NEURO Exam: "Glasgow Core Eyes 4, Verbal 5, And Motor 6. "
Feb 01, 2011

:) ...

On Neuro Exam: Pretty Clearly Says "pal Pupil" Raise Is Symmetric. Tongue Protrusion Is
Apr 13, 2011

Shoulder shrug is symmetric.  Romberg is negative.  He has no dysmetria.  ...

Doing H&P, For Extremities: She Says "Extremities Are Without CCREV." Or CCRV?? Not
May 13, 2015

nm ...

Extremities
Sep 19, 2011

Dictated as:  Upper extremity has some s/l econotic spots.  Any ideas anyone??? ...

EXTREMITIES: WWP
Oct 14, 2012

Cannot remember what this is for the life of me!   ...

Extremity Or Extremities
Apr 18, 2012

Which is correct?   Has bilateral lower extremity edema. Has bilateral lower extremities edema.   Thanks! ...

Extremities: -sl Ruddy.
Jan 17, 2013

Female patient with pericardial effusion.  History of hypertension and non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.  Dr. with foreign accent.  Sounds like he is saying Extremities: Ruddy.  Anyone ever run across Ruddy when describing the extremities? ...

She Has S/L SEDs On Both Lower Extremities.
Jan 11, 2010

After bilateral knee arthroplasty, patient has (S/L) SEDs on both lower extremities. I cannot seem to figure this one out. I was thinking TEDs stockings or some mechanical device to prevent DVT? ...

Significant Anesthesia Of Extremities?
Dec 28, 2011

Dictator dictating the extremity section of PE and says significant right-sided hemiplegia, significant "anesthesia."?  Would this be what is sounds like?  TIA. ...

Extremities: No Rubs, Cords, Or Edema
Nov 20, 2011

Does this look right? Extremities: No rubs, cords, or edema.What are rubs and cords in the extremities?Thanks ...

Grip Strength In His Upper And Lower Extremities?
Nov 20, 2012

The Dr. says "Grip strength is 5/5 in the upper and lower extremities."  Is he misspeaking, or is there grip strength measurement for the lower extremities?     Thanks! ...

Lower Extremities And Very S/l Hyperprepinted Areas Compatible With Stigmata
May 22, 2010

Woody skin at the lower extremities and very s/l hyperprepinted areas compatible with stigmata, venous stasis, and poor circulation.   ...