A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Negotiating rate of pay - Curious

Posted: Jul 05, 2013

Do any of you negotiate line rate, and if you have, has it been successful?  I've tried, not worked or not gotten a call back.  Is it advisable to do?  After I take the test, I'm told I did great and am offered the job, then try to negotiate their abysmal offering.   TIA

Don't think that works anymore - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Problem is, you have so many MTs that for each job listed there are hundreds of applications and most can easily pass the testing process. If you won't accept their pay, then there is another MT standing behind you that would gladly accept it. Just the way of our times.

You can forget that - No matter how good you are-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

If every single MT did that, we might have a chance to - get our pay rates higher

[ In Reply To ..]
but I don't think many people even try to do it.

Absolutely you can! - ...and you must!

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are not new at MT'ing and have some years under your belt, this is ESPECIALLY important.

You tell them, "With the experience and professionalism I bring to your company, I am worth xx cents per line." Then you can go on to tell them about how you will NEVER be MIA, you will clock in and out at the times they request, and you will show up for work, every day without fail, and work your fingers to the bone.

If they still hem and haw at what you think you're worth, tell them you will show them what you've got for 30-60 days and will work for what they initially offer. Then, after they see you weren't blowing smoke up their hiney, you expect to be compensated what you stated originally or very close to it and if they agree verbally to this, tell them you must have that agreement in writing as well.

I've done it and found I was respected for it and I got what I wanted/deserved. You can do this :)

will definitely take that into consideration - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
but, of course, I know it won't work with all of them. They are still some out there that value experience and dedication to what you mention, great work ethic and professionalism. It's just so demoralizing to accept what they offer! Thanks for the advice. Very good advice.

I have been trying to negotiate 1 cpl raise for 2 years without - success.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Negotiating
Feb 16, 2012

Any tips on negotiating salary for an IC job.  I'm out of practice with this sort of thing.  Usuaully, it ends up with them dictating the pay, take it or leave it.  Ugh. ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

What Is A QA Sub Rate?
Nov 05, 2009

Just got mine, had one last pay period, well duh-------nobody explained it to me!! ...

Pay Rate-HELP!!
Jun 13, 2010

I've been out of the industry and on unemployment for over a year, and have just been contacted by a previous employer to work for them again.  The catch?  I was very well paid by this company and I will be discussing my rate of pay tomorrow with the payroll manager.  I am gunshy about asking for too much money because I now know what slim pickings it is out there.  Should I just jump in and ask for the same rate as before?  I was paid by the page, does anyone ...

DSG Pay Rate
Aug 09, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me an exact cents per line that they make at DSG, documentation services group.  Let me know! I've just received email that i can now test with them and was wondering.  Also how was the test?      ...

What Is The Rate?
Dec 23, 2010

I was offered a second shift job doing QA.  They pay by the hour, but I am not sure what the going rate is. What should I ask for? ...

PTO Rate
Jan 17, 2011

Has anyone noticed an unfamiliar rate in the ultipro system when viewing your pto hours available?  Mine is way off unless they dramatically dropped my PTO pay rate without me knowing yet.  I have not received the dreaded 6th months pto rate change for january in the mail.  I contacted payroll and waiting for a response back. ...

Pay Rate - Rad MT
Jul 11, 2011

What a shock to wake up this morning and realize the almighty "Q" has just sent me hurling into bancruptcy!  My husband lost his $75,000/year job 3 months ago and just found another but only making $8.50/hour.  As we don't live beyond our means, we thought that would at least let us catch up on the major bills.  But now I'm going from $1.65 a report to $1.20 a report.  That's a MAJOR cut in pay ($1,000 to $3,000 PER MONTH).  This is devastating and I feel ...

IC Pay Rate
Sep 20, 2011

I am thinking of taking an IC position.  Can anyone tell me the going rate of how much to charge a company?  Thanks! ...

VR Pay Rate
Oct 11, 2011

I recently read a job posting that required 150 lph for straight type and 225 for VR - Does this make sense ?  These companies are using the excuse that we should be able to produce "twice as many lines" with VR - thus - HALF the pay.  If that is truly the case, then why in the world would the line requirement not reflect that as well.  Obviously, these companies know VR is not nearly as productive for the MT as they claim; however, I would venture to guess with the MT making hal ...

Going Rate For IC?
Jan 05, 2012

After nearly a decade of working with Webmedx, I like many others am looking for extra work to supplement what I will be losing with Nuance.  I have a chance to pick up some part-time IC work, but I have no idea what a good acute care IC rate is.  Ten years ago, I charged $0.12/line.  Is this still an okay rate?  More?  Less?  I don't want to ask for too much and have them laugh at me, but I also don't want to sell myself short. Thanks for any advice! ...

Rate Of Pay
Jan 08, 2012

Wow, I'm an independent contractor and was looking at the job seekers board to maybe take on another part time job.  The rate of pay is still 7 to 8 cents per line??  This seems a bit ridiciulous.  I mean 10 years ago when I started with an online company, this is the rate of pay they started you out at!  I work for local doctors and charge starting out no less than 11 cents per line, especially as an independent contractor where you get no benefits or paid time off. &nb ...

Going Rate
Jan 08, 2012

If you are an IC, what is the going rate to charge?  I am at the beginning of researching to do get my own clients again but am out of the loop of what to charge.  This would be only as myself and not a big company.  Thanks. ...

VR Pay Rate?
Apr 11, 2012

Just wondering what to expect.  My company is moving some docs to VR and I have heard that the pay will be a straight line rate.  I worked very briefly for a company who paid one rate for reading the report and another rate when corrections had to be made.  Just hoping to get some input on how many people out there are paid just a flat rate.  Can you make any money doing this or do you find you have to work longer hours for less money?  Is there anyone out there who is h ...

Pay Rate?
Jun 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me where to find my pay rate?  I checked UltiPro and cannot find it there.  For the past 3 pay periods, my pay has decreased approximately 10 dollars each pay period and I am still doing the same amount of lines that I always do.  Im wondering if they decreased my pay rate without telling me.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you! ...

ASR Pay Rate
Jan 08, 2013

Can someone tell me what the pay rate for ASR compared to transcription? TIA ...

How About A 700+ LPH Rate?
Jul 31, 2013

On a report to us today that someone had a 700+ LPH rate.  When I questioned it, I was told that they didn't know how that could be either, it was on the management report they got. THAT is the very reason why I don't trust these reports they shove at us, I won't even look at them anymore.  I'm glad I'm done with this place in just a few more days. As I've said so many times before....this company was NEVER a transcription company.  They are a SOFTW ...

PTO Rate For PT
Sep 11, 2013

guess it doesn't matter how fast we can go per hour anymore since we no longer get PTO! LOL! No wonder they were very late to tell some of us our new PTO rates - because they knew it wouldn't matter anymore............... ...

Going Rate For SR?
Jan 15, 2014

thinking about coming over from M2 ...

TTS PAY RATE
Mar 05, 2014

Can anyone working at TTS tell me what the pay is - 8 and 4 cents?  Does weekend and evening differential bump it above 4 cents? ...

What's The Going Rate For QA
May 13, 2014

I'm thinking of hiring a QA person to work as an IC.  Can anyone tell me what the going rate is per line? ...

Per MB Rate
Jun 03, 2014

Does anyone know what the going rate is when being per megabyte typed? ...

Pay Rate
May 09, 2015

If QC is over 10%, then the pay is 7/3.5 pennies a line. If it's that amount and the speed is just about 100 lines or a little over that an hour, I think that would amount to below minimum wage, wouldn't it? So I think the 7/3.5 pennies a line pay rate automatically is equivalent to MUP--unless the MT is very speedy. 7/3.5 pennies a line pay rate is pretty ridiculous. However, I don't understand a couple of commenters here who have complained about the pay scale overall being ...

Pay Rate Before VR ... And After
May 09, 2015

I was with N and their predecessors for 18 years. Before Voice Wreckognition I was making about $36 an hour and working part-time and regularly received quality bonuses. After all the wage cuts with N I was making minimum wage when I quit in March. It was getting paid for every other line that finally got to me. ...

Per Line Rate
Oct 13, 2009

Is it typical to be paid a higher per line rate with a clinic account or a hospital account? ...

Question On Pay Rate...
Nov 24, 2009

Anybody ever work for a company that pays per minute of dictation?  If so, what is the average pay and is it even worth it to work for a company that pays this way? ...

Rate Decrease
Nov 24, 2009

During this transition time I was trying to decide between IC status and employee status.  I was doing this because I thought that being an IC would save my 1/2 cpl decrease that you get with employee status.  However, in my packet, my rate is now 9 cpl, down the 1/2 cpl as mentioned, but the choices were still FT, PT or IC.  That makes me wonder if we all got cut down to 9 cpl and even if I would have decided to go with IC status, my rate would still have been cut.  Did any ...