A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My Christmas Gift - Enlightened

Posted: Dec 22, 2009

First, I hope those of you who need to hear this will.  I am not by any means saying what I am to hurt anyones feelings, to be mean, to start a ruckus, as a means of causing some to say hateful things, or to seem "better than."  This, however, is something that those of you looking for work and unable to find a position, need to hear.

I recently had an opening for a transcriptionist for my very small buisness and recieved many, many resumes.  Some were wonderful and I wish I could have contracted with all of them.  The part that amazed me were the other 60%.  The punctuation was appalling!  Some of the introductions were given as if we were "chat buddies," i.e. "if u want 2 no more mess me."  A great number, much more than I could have EVER expected, had several words such as MOre, WOrked, NAme, you get the idea.  There were several that had nothing at all in the subject line, and even one that said, "I am interest in you position," and it was from an American.  There were responses that had nothing in the subject line, nothing in the email, but just the resume attached.  It is always a good idea to introduce yourself and PASTE your resume in the email itself, and like many of us, I don't care to open attachments from someone I don't know. 

A simple spellcheck before hitting the send button can be a deal maker or a deal breaker, simple as that.  If you do not even proof your resume before attempting to get a job, why in the world would I believe you would proof the work that you would do for me?

I was VERY tempted to make corrections and send each and every inquiry back, but I simply do not have the time.  I would suggest that everyone, just as a precaution, have another MT take a look over your resume before you send it out.  There are too many reasons not to hire so many of those applicants and a couple very simple steps could change that.  If you are one of the ladies here who are finding it difficult to find work, maybe you should give this a try.

Again, this isn't by any means an attempt to draw out the claws, but simply a voice of concern.  I mean no malice by posting this and I hope it will be taken for what it is and not what some might perceive it to be.

Happy Holidays!

You hit the nail on the head (sm) - Long-time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not an MTSO, but I've worked in hospital MT mgmt for years. I have seen similar unprofessional, not to say deplorable, resumes. I don't think anyone should take offense at your posting, rather consider it some free advice that could help someone get a job.

These will be the same MTs who complain the loudest. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs have been in their positions, doing what they do, for so long that they do not realize times have changed. The medical facility where you worked may have overlooked these types of things but the MTSOs and QA will not.

If these types of MTs perhaps did land a job based on their number of years as an MT, they soon find out their work is not up to par. Instead of learning, changing, or improving - they will be the first to complain about low pay, lack of work, and no jobs.

It doesn't really matter if you have been an MT for 10-15-30 years, your actual skills will speak volumes. There is always room for improvement for everyone, no matter how long you have been at this.

Good English never goes out of style and first - impressions count a lot

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the posting was an excellent one and very helpful. I have been in this line of work now for 30+ years and have absolutely no problem with the low pay, lack of work and so on. With the golden oldies they have been the ones who were taught how to research, have the best skills in order to do this job and betting my bottom dollar on this, would be the last to send resumes that contained a sentence saying u r 2. I realize times have changed, but also know the difference between advice and advise, a word that I see used in the wrong text on these boards all the time, and it is usually a newbie. Guess this oldie has that one down pat as least.
My typo, that should be at least- NM - Golden Oldie
[ In Reply To ..]
g

I often have to agree with this...nm - none

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

That must have been for the 7 cpl job posted on the board - Sometimes the low wages attract that kind of respo

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, it wasn't. I pay much better than that. Assumptions are also bad manners. (nm) - O.P.

[ In Reply To ..]
asd

Thank you Ms. Manners - for that bit of etiquette advice

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Excellent post - Thanks for the gentle reminder - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always felt you need you have the "best presentation" as possible when applying for a job. Somehow America has entered the Slob Age. Look around you, people are dressed like slobs when they go out in public. Looks like they donĂ¢€™t even comb their hair. Rewind to the 1950s....I have seen photos of men in SUITS at the county fair. They CARED about how they looked. Nowadays they donĂ¢€™t.

Your sentence in your post, I quote...sm - resume

[ In Reply To ..]
"There were responses that had nothing in the subject line, nothing in the email, but just the resume attached."

Why is this so wrong? We always hear how swamped MTSOs are with hundreds of resumes, that they look only 5 seconds into a resume, that time is money,... why would it be so wrong to cut all the blah, blah and just send the most important: the resume?
This is what applicants to a job might have figured out: If the employer is interested, a followup interview will be scheduled where ALL the other information can be asked.
After all, MTSOs are asking for a
"resume," not for a "curriculum vitae," big difference.
I would really appreciate an answer to my comment, I would like the opinion of employers regarding this.

my reply... - O.P.

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe some employers will appreciate this. On the other hand, I don't. It takes more time to open an attachment and have it scanned than it would to simply read the email. I have a lot of email that is solicitation and if there is nothing in the subject line to identify that you are applying for a position and it is not from someone I know, I generally will not open the email, so you have wasted your time. If the resume can speak for itself, then an introduction might not be necessary; however, the subject line and the resume in the BODY of the email are musts.

I recieved over a thousand resumes and I am not about to schedule an interview with each and every applicant. If the first impression doesn't spark and interest, I will quickly move on to one that does. If it were as simple as you seem to believe it to be, I would have asked for nothing more than a name and telephone number.

By the way, my job posting was some time ago, but this has been on my mind since then. Again, this wasn't to point fingers, but in trying to be helpful. If it does not apply to you, then please do not take it as such.

I was only talking about having to give an extensive resume...sm - resume

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I completely agree with you that an application should mention the job one is applying to in the subject line, one's name and 1-2 introductory lines to the resume which should be in the body of the email.
It is definitely mandatory that all matter sent in should be error free, and no usage of slang!
Thank you for answering.

TO: Enlightened - MT way too long

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you would have posted this a long time ago! I too have posted ads for job openings in the past and the resumes that I get are horrendous. Sometimes it makes for great comedy relief!

When I get the type resumes that you speak of, I throw them off to the side. If a person cannot even send in a professional resume, I figure they are not going to do "professional work." I made the mistake a couple times of trying to look past that and actually hired MTs who sent me resumes like that. What a disaster! They wound up to be very very bad MTs, couldn't take well-intended criticism, always an excuse for every mistake they made, can't accept responsibility, but yet they want TOP WAGES!

I probably will get flamed and I don't really care. It's the truth and one of the reasons the wages are getting so low. Why pay top dollar for substandard MTs? I got out of this several years back and went back to transcribing full-time myself. Too much hassle.

Merry Christmas to you!

Not an MTSO but just an MT (sm)) - yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with your rationale. If one cares enough to present themselves in a professional manner then they are more than likely going to be a very conscientious IC/employee. I would look for the professional resume/brief cover letter if I were an MTSO

Similar Messages:

Christmas Gift From MQ?
Dec 23, 2010

I started in July and was wondering if they ever give us anything at Christmas.  Are you all laughing now? ...

Mq Christmas Gift
Dec 21, 2011

Do any of you fellow MT's remember the Christmas gifts we used to get here at MQ?  Who can forget the lovely mouse pad, worth probably 5 cents.  Oh, but wait . . . don't forget the chapstick . . . what was it, on a chain, I believe?  How would they EVER be able to top THAT?  Guess that's why we won't be getting anything this year.  Too hard to come up with something bigger and better than THAT!  LOL  How I miss the days when this was&nb ...

IMEDX Christmas Gift Card Activation Code?
May 23, 2015

I'm trying to activate the gift card I got from IMEDX for Christmas. I threw away the documentation that came with it that apparently had the "activation code". I called customer service and they stated the only hint they could give was it was the last four digits of my employee ID number.  Can anyone tell me if this was the last digits of our last name?, last 4 of SS number? I can't remember my employee ID.  Thanks! ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS And HAPPY NEW YEAR To All !!!! And To Those Who Do Not Celebrate Christmas
Dec 23, 2014

BEST WISHES for the holidays ...

I Just Watched The Old Christmas Special "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"
Jan 05, 2015

NTS (Nuance) who stole Christmas.....My version......We all know the tune, replace The Grinch with NTS (fits better sound-wise)...NTS = Nuance... You're a mean one, NTS.... You really are a heel You're a Monster, NTS.... You're heart's an empty hole You're brain is full of spiders, You've got garlic in your soul, NTS......(drag it out here!) I wouldn't touch you with a......39-1/2-foot pole !!!!! You're a foul one, NTS... You're a nasty wasty ...

No Gift From MQ, Thanks MQ! Nm
Dec 22, 2009

nm ...

Wow Transcend, Thank You For The Gift!!
Dec 19, 2009

I received a very nice Christmas card and gift card with personal signatures in the mail today -- what a wonderful surprise.  This does help encourage me that maybe things will work out in this transition to a bigger company.  Much negative said here on the boards, but this is very appreciated!! ...

MT Week Gift
May 24, 2010

Just received my MT gift.  I really think that Medquist must feel "It is the thought that counts".  It probably cost them more to mail these then they are worth.  Why don't they just give us an extra hour off with training pay - worth more to me than this mousepad.  I need an ergonomic mouse pad anyway - did they ever think of giving their "beloved" employees one of those?  Oh well.  Just another day being an MT. ...

Got My MT Week Gift
May 14, 2010

Thoughtful and practical - a welcome surprise!  I presume this is implied permission to install it on the company computer? ...

Transcend Gift
May 17, 2010

If Transcend was going to send me something worth less than a dollar store item, I would have rather had the dollar.  Some of you will blast me for not appreciating the gift I did receive as you didn't get anything, but sometimes it is best NOT to get something.  Like when you leave a penny for your server.  That is meant to be a slap in the face.  If you leave nothing they just think you forgot!  This little star clip thing is a slap in the face!&n ...

Thank You Very Much For The Gift Of Candy!!
Dec 12, 2011

I want to say thank you very much to the company I work at for sending me the gift of candy. It was an extremely pleasant surprise in my mailbox today. You are the best for sure!   LSemployee ...

I Just Won A $13 Gift Card!
Oct 25, 2013

Yes, its true, my skills are awesome enough to warrant a $13 gift card.  Bow before me peons!  To all those who will take this personally, I'm teasing.   Anyway, there's a catch.  It turns out that this Visa card can only be used at certain places.  Unfortunately, the nearest one of these places is over 50 miles from me, making it worthless as I'd have to spend more money in gas to get there.  I could use it online, but shipping charges will pretty m ...

MLS Week Gift
May 30, 2015

I got my MLS weak (pun intended) gift. Actually, I kind of like it. I do keep a note pad on my desk and jot things down while I work...not always work related, but hey! It seems more useful than the leather mousepad I got from Spheris years ago. I would have prefered a cash bonus or some free PTO, but they probably got a deal on the thousands of these gifts that they ordered and the actual cost to them was minimal. Weak effort to make me feel appreciated. I still feel underpaid! ...

A Good MQ Gift To All Our ILP Friends Out There
Mar 11, 2010

Thank You For The MT Week Gift Webmedx!
May 15, 2010

Thank you for a truly usable gift and the thought behind it.  You are a great company to work for and the thoughfulness is much appreciated!!  ...

MT Week Gift From DTS America?
May 18, 2010

Does DTS America give an MT week gift out?  If so, has anyone gotten theirs yet?  Thanks in advance. ...

Soooooooo We Are Not Getting A Gift From MQ This Year?
May 19, 2011

I just got a card in the mail from my CCM.....not to sound ungrateful, BUT THAT'S IT?????? ...

What Is With The Job Ad With The Gift Basket Email?
Sep 08, 2011

Does anyone else find it odd that there is a job posting and the email is for some gift basket designer or whatever.  Just when I think things can't get any worse..... So is this a company that designs gift baskets for patients and then transcribes the reports after delivery?  Times are tough, so I guess everyone needs 2 jobs.  Yikes!   ...

Transcend Gift Card!
Dec 17, 2011

I received a beautiful Christmas card in the mail and inside was a VISA card from Transcend wishing me a Merry Christmas and the card even says "thank you" on it!  I wasn't expecting that.  I've only been with them a little over a month!  I'm even more impressed with them now.  I got a calendar last year from my previous employer.  That was nice, but this is even better.  Did anyone else receive one? I sure hope so!  yay! ...

MT Week Gift Card
May 19, 2014

I would have to drive an hour and a half to find a Staples! What a sucky prize ...

Just Gave Myself The Best MT Week Gift
May 23, 2014

I sent my resignation letter to my supervisor.  I am getting out before they completely destroy my self-esteem and physical health.  I've had enough.  ...

Imedx Gift Card
Dec 26, 2014

Tried registering it yet? Have fun. Couldn't get it to register online. Calling the phone number did no good, either. Apparently, my brain can't deal with technology anymore. Couldn't figure out what my employee number was (wasn't any number I could find), and there was no activation code where the computer voice said it should be. ...

Just Got My Gift Card In The Mail
Apr 11, 2015

My $13 prepaid Discover card came in the mail as thanks for not slitting my wrists while training on a new platform.  It came with a whole sheet of paper listing the dozens of different places I can spend it at.  There isn't a single store on the list I use LOL.  That seems mathematically improbable. 90% of them don't even exist within a few hundred to thousand miles.  The ones I do have don't apply to me.  For the second time, the Cracker Barrel is one ...

My Visa Gift Card Was Refused?
Dec 26, 2009

I tried to use my giftcard today and it was refused. It was give by transcend, a visa giftcard, and it was refused when i tried to use it. I didn't see anything that came with it saying it had to be authorized or anything. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have an authorization number i can call to authorize my card? Suggestions? Thanks ...

I Miss My DSG Walmart Gift Card ... And DSG!!
Dec 17, 2012

Merry Christmas to all!  :) ...

TO: MT Week Gift Card Recipients
Jun 26, 2013

Have you received your gift card yet?  I know it said 4-6 weeks.  I am starting to think I missed it in the mail and threw it away or something.....    ...

Trans Tech Gift Cards
Jan 02, 2014

Did anyone get a gift card for Christmas this year ?   We usually do but I didn't get anything.  Thanks  ...

So Did Everybody Get Their Chrismas Gift/bonus In The Mail
Dec 19, 2014

x ...

Any Other AHD Employees Notice A GIFT Category On Their W2? Sm
Jan 17, 2015

I am stumped as to what this is supposed to be.  The number is odd and does not amount to the bonus received.  I guess I should call D on Monday and find out what the heck it is.  I was just curious if everyone had this or if I am just "special."  TIA. ...

Wow Giving Away Close To 400 In Gift Cards
May 15, 2015

Are you freaking serious??? How many MTs are there in this company? What an insult..And no I'm not playing your games, entering your contests, or doing anything but look for another job. ...