A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job posting - klownmom

Posted: May 25, 2010

How can they ask you to work stated hours if you are an IC?  I see this all the time.  They want an employee, full time, but an IC.  Don't understand all that.

Basic answer is they can't, IC vs. employee - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
If a company requires an MT to work on a set schedule, then what they are hiring is an employee.

The problem is that these companies want to have their cake and eat it too, so the companies are violating the law. They are hiring for "employee positions" but calling their MTs an "IC" just so they can avoid taxes, the IRS and labor laws.

what they can do, however - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
is ask that the MT tell them what schedule he/she is going to work and/or how many lines are going to be produced on any given day. If the MT does not then live up to that agreement, the MTSO can question then and take appropriate action if the commitment consistently is not met.

What the MTSO can also do is say something along the lines of "we have work available Saturday through Tuesday." You as the IC can work those days or not if it suits you, again, with the caveat that you will be asked to at least let the MTSO when you think you'll be working, and then expected to live up to that commitment.

No that is not IC either. Sorry.... - true IC

[ In Reply To ..]
You may think this trickery works but it does not. If they are asking for any sort of commitment other than keeping their client information private, then they are asking you to be employed by them.

Again, an IC does not give their clients schedules or quotas, etc. The IC tells the client (the MTSO is your client) I will transcribe your data by such and such a time when and if that data is available. End of story.

When my clients begin to dictate to me particulars on how they want their work done and when they want it done, they can employ me. Until then, I tell them what I can provide as an IC. I subcontract for an MTSO aka my client, and they have never asked me for a schedule or a line quota but asked me if I could please complete any voice files that I download within 24 hours, and I have agreed to do so under contract. However, I tell them when I am not going to be working (key word tell/not ask).

If you start confusing the two, then you lose the true definition of an IC with this mixed message that you have just put out here.

Read up on it! An MTSO cannot tell an IC they have to work a particular shift and if they are, they need to be reminded that you are an IC. Stick up for yourselves for once, please! It helps us all in the long run!

Yeah, actually it is. - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
I never said that the MTSO could dictate a shift. I did say that that MTSO could ask you when you thought you would be performing the work. You ask your plumber when he's going to show up, don't you? If he doesn't show up when he says he will, you call him and find out what the deal is, don't you? Same principle applies.

Holding hard and fast to the supposed rule that you don't have to tell your MTSO how much work you're going to do on any given day is misguided, IMHO. I'll go back to the plumber analogy again. When I have work done, they will usually give me an indication of what is going to be done and how long they think it's going to take. If that changes, I can ask them about it and they can let me know what circumstances gave arisen and we come to another agreement.

I'll also go back to your statement "I tell them what I can provide as an IC." Telling an MTSO how many lines you think you can commit to on any given day is exactly that - telling them what you can provide. I tell my MTSO what days I'm going to work and how many lines I'm going to commit to on any given day, and it varies by day depending on other commitments that I have.

What about - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
What about the company that employs ICs, but continuously sends out emails, "We have 500 jobs available...Everyone please log in and help to clear up this backlog." Do they have a right to get angry when there is a nonresponse from those who already worked that day and completed their commitments? I think not.

It would be nice if the ICs could return and work another shift on those days when work is overflowing, but it should not be mandatory.
You're absolutely right, no they do not - IC
[ In Reply To ..]
As you say, it would be nice if the ICs return and work more, but the company has no control over whether they do or not and they have no grounds to get angry with the ICs. If the work isn't getting done in a timely manner, the MTSO has no one to blame but themselves for either not staffing correctly and using employees to ensure that the work is done in an appropriate manner, or making sure that they have enough ICs to cover the work based on the amount of work the ICs say they are going to give them.

Similar Messages:

Prn Hem/onc Job Posting
May 08, 2010

Did anyone apply and then hear about the prn job with Audrey's Transcription Service?  Thanks.  ...

Just Saw A Posting For GT For $70 An A/h - Now That
Jul 10, 2012

these jobs are out there and this is along the norm.  Don't - DO NOT - buy into the $30 or $45 an a/h baloney.  They are ripping you off.  Yes, I'm back on my soap box LOL. ...

Why Is TT Out Of H. Always Posting Sm
Dec 21, 2013

the same job ad(s) OVER and OVER again? ...

REV.COM Job Posting....
Mar 19, 2014

According to the job posting this company is based in San Francisco.  The stated pay rate averages $241.00 per month.  If I were this company, I would embarrassed to advertise the pathetic pay they give their MTs in one of the most expensive cities in the country.  If it weren't so tragic that there are desperate people out there looking for a job, it would be laughable.  ...

Funny Job Posting...
Feb 19, 2010

This on the job board today: "XXXX is looking for an experienced QA person to start immmediatly. We are also looking for MT's that have expereince in cardiology (esl), er and discharge summary experience." Yes, I think that QA person does need to start "immediatly". ...

Test Posting
Apr 05, 2010

I wrote a long post and it would not go through, despite the fact that I posted one earlier today.  This is just a test. ...

Job Board Posting . . .
May 16, 2010

On-call radiology work for weekends only . . . at 6 cpl!!!!!  Wow.  I hope no one is willing to take something like this. ...

Radiology IC Job Posting
Oct 27, 2010

I noticed that posting and sent an email.  Pretty sure they posted something similar before because my email had saved their address in it.  Never heard back though.  Does anyone remember this besides me?  Did anyone get hired?  Or a call?  Or an interview?  $2.50 a report, for anyone who has never been paid per report, is excellent!  ...

Posting Pet Peeve
Nov 05, 2010

I have a POSTER pet peeve.  When a comment or question is posted about a specific company, why is the original poster likely to never elaborate?  Why are they wasting everyone’s time? What is up with these hit-and-run posts?   Someone makes an outrageous comment or asks a question implying something negative.  Then when you answer and either ask for more information or ask the original poster a question, the original poster is long gone – never to be heard ...

Re Psychiatric MT Job Posting
Feb 23, 2011

Can somebody explain to me how to access this site to take their test?Ftps://ftp.psychtrans.net. ...

TT And The Posting Of An IC Getting Work From TT.
Jun 06, 2011

Concerned about the posting from the Midwestern MT who said she had work to be done from TransTech and here we all are sitting and checking and no work.  Wondering now about this new SWAT team thing.  From what I was told that the 'beast of the business' is they worry about TAT because they have to take a cut in their portion of the line count wages, so they'd rather meet the TAT?  And yes, we are all cross trained pretty much anyway, but they want lightening speed. ...

TT Posting For Radiology
Sep 08, 2011

What is up with this?  They have plenty of inside people to ASK if they want this work?? I don't get it.  How about the old saying from companies that they "hire within first" because they treat the employees with respect since they have been there and are 'loyal.'  So, many scraping for work and being exhausted by the demands of having to produce for pennies.  Where is this job going?  Where is the labor board?  We only have this board.  ...

Posting Resumes
Nov 11, 2011

Has anyone ever received any response to your resume posted online.  Not sure if I should do this or no so just wondering.  Thanks ...

Wow, Became Really Excited With The Posting Of A New Job (sm)
Dec 17, 2011

Became even more excited when I read that it was owned by a former transcriptionist and then it hit, pay will start at 7-8 CPL, depending upon experience and oh, hey, all of our transcriptionists are ICs.  What the heck????  Oh well, hopefully one of the 50 companies that I have applied with this week will contact me.  Still beating that worn out path .... Good luck to anyone else that is looking! ...

Posting Swapboard
Apr 27, 2012

I am new to MModal. I need to post 5 hours on one of my Sundays to work to see if anyone will cover those. My CCM said I needed to post on swapboard. I can get to swapboard but I don't see anything on there to click for posting. I have went through my paperwork and can't find anything other than what swapboard is for, not posting on it. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

A Job Posting By Nuance
Aug 19, 2012

A BETTER CAREER IS WAITING FOR YOU! Nuance is seeking quality-minded Medical Transcriptionists and Quality Editors with a passion for excellence who seek to join a winning team.  Nuance Transcription Services, the fastest-growing provider of services to Health Information Management organizations, strives to be the best employer in the industry by offering highly competitive pay and benefits.  Our rapid expansion offers unique and unrivalled career growth opportunities to our team memb ...

I Was Excited About The Job Posting That Just
Aug 20, 2012

showed up until I saw it paid NO SPACES!!  I have MS Word 2000 and FTP.  I will not apply because of no spaces though.  Dislike! ...

Just Noticed A New Job Posting....
Sep 06, 2012

on another board under the name of Focus Infomatics.  It is advertising for acute care and new grads... out of curiousity, I clicked on the ad and was shocked to find that it was Nuance advertising.  Perhaps they are having a bit of trouble finding qualified transcriptionists who will apply to their company and are now resorting to using an old name that was gobbled up or became a part of Nuance a long time ago.  Kind of "shady" advertising, if you ask me.  Hopefully the new ...

Trouble Posting-sm
Oct 02, 2012

Every time I try to post an ad appears over the code I am supposed to enter....so frustrating.  How can I fix this? ...

DIRTY POSTING
Nov 16, 2013

I want to share my comments about DIRTY POSTs on MTStars. I was just informed about such post about Ascend Healthcare. I have worked for this company since 2000. Some honest clarification would help. Their MT rates are $0.075 [750 lines per shift], $0.085 per lines [1,000 lines per shift] and $0.12 per line for very special MTs. They pay $0.04/$0.06 per line for editing. They pay $0.8 per RAD VR report editing and $0.035 for VR transcription. Their hourly rates are in the range of $10 - $14. ...

Posting A Reply
Mar 03, 2014

I feel dumb having to ask this, as I'm usually pretty good with navigating sites and figuring things out on my own.  How does one go about posting a reply, or replying to a post that gives no email or contact info? ...

QMedET Still Posting
May 20, 2014

was thinking about applying.  Would like to get info from those who are working their, would anyone care to share.  TIA ...

Just Saw A Job Posting For Keystrokes
Dec 04, 2014

that they are hiring for multiple accounts! What the ??? I am running out of work every day and they are hiring?  I have asked for another account. Crickets.  I'm sending my account manager an e-mail after I calm down.  ...

Audrey Job Posting 1-12-15
Jan 15, 2015

Audrey:  You posted a job position but forgot to post a contact address :( ...

Thank You For Posting About Your Life With N
Apr 04, 2015

I left my "job" at N last fall and have now been with my new employer long enough to begin to have some complaints about how things are done/not done.  But I only need to come here to remind myself what I left when I left N, and I have to contain myself away from the desire to cover my new boss with big sloppy kisses everywhere!!!  Plus, yesterday was payday, and I have been able to replace all of the savings I ate through during my time at N.  My bank account is smiling again.&n ...

Why Are They Job Posting Stating Up To 12 Cpl
Apr 18, 2015

I just saw a job ad for Nuance stating "You can earn up to .12788 cents per line."   Really?!  Not on the Bayscribe/Integra platforms!!!!   They knocked us down to .105 as the MOST we can make.  Is this part of their making it fair across the platforms BS?  I'm pissed.  When they switch us to a Nuance platform, will our pay go up to that?!  Grr ...

Posted On Word Help But Posting Here As Well
Jan 23, 2010

By no means am I trying to put anyone down in this profession, new or old; however, MANY years ago, PHONICS were taught in the schools, which was a form of English/spelling  -- for example, if the word had an "F" sound to it it might be "PH" or some other form of spelling  -- for example "frenulum" you hear the word and it might be spelled "phrenulum"  does it fit in a "medical context?"  This also comes into play with having the "proper tools" in place  -- I have always ...

Posting Of Overflow Work?
Jan 28, 2010

I just wanted to make sure that posting overflow work would go in the Job Seeker's Board.  If not, please let me know so that I can delet it and repost in the correct place if necessary. Thanks! ...

Posting Your Resume On This Board
Feb 18, 2010

I was wondering if anyone on this board has posted a resume on this board and their employer saw it.  I want to post my resume, but I do not want to feel the rath of my employer if they found out or saw it listed on this board.  I need my job right now,but I also need to feed my family, and no longer wish to be the MT who is understanding and sitting at the computer all day. So, I guess what I am asking is can I post my resume and leave my name off it somehow? Has anyone posted their ...

Silent Type Job Posting
Mar 24, 2010

Did anyone apply or test for Silent Type and if so, would you care to share? ...