A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Isnt it illegal for a potential employer to ask your age? - Zircon

Posted: Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal.

So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out an application in person, or have them mail one to me.  They told me no, the only applications they were accepting were online. 

Soooo, I would use the online application forms, but there is one major problem with them:  You know that little red asterisk that is usually next to a "Required Field" that HAS to be filled in for the report to go through?  Well, there's a red asterisk next to the birthdate field.  And of course, I filled it in and got no callback.  I was TEMPTED to lie about it.  Only problem is, you were also required to fill in your SS#.  (That's another thing I strongly object to!!)  So if I lied about my birthdate, they could find it out through my SS#. 

The other thing is I'm finding that, with over 30 years' experience in MT, that experience is being held against me, as well.  The answer would be to only list my 2 most recent jobs, but the problem there is, the earlier job I held for 25 years.  I feel I'm being passed up for employment because they know I won't want to work for 7 cpl. 

How are some of you other highly experienced MTs dealing with this problem when you apply for a new job?   How can I get around applying online?  

You are right - old mter

[ In Reply To ..]
It is, they do find out however. Plus if they look at your education they can pretty well know you are over 40/50 (which I think the majority of us are that this point). They're cheap, want to hire newbies they can pay squat. Let's face it they probably put up with more crap than we do. I've had the same problem.....

Yet the newbies can't get hired either. - Mush

[ In Reply To ..]
Go figure...... Maybe when they ask for 3-5 years of experience they mean that literally???

It is terrible that they ask your age- how can we report that? - Jane

[ In Reply To ..]
It should NOT be a requirement on the application form, and neither should the SSN. We need to report those companies. Whom should we call?

Actually not illegal, but . . . - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
it has to be for a "legitimate purpose," such as to perform background checks. Obviously, they may also using this information to discriminate on the basis of age in their hiring practices. But in reality, if they are only going to pay 7 cpl, you're not going to want to work for them anyway, right? So it's probably best just to move on. There are a LOT of employers out there. I would just keep applying.

Paranoia maybe????? Anything you apply for, - JK

[ In Reply To ..]
be it a job, a credit card, a loan, anything asks for a birthdate. Did ya think that maybe they have 500 applicants for 1 job and you just didn't get picked for a call back??? I am 50+ and 2 years ago had absolutely no trouble finding a job when I left the Q--making 9 cpl to 11 cpl and then later on picking up an IC job at 10. Don't think that age has anything to do with it. There are just a lot of MTs out there looking for work. Also--don't put your SSN on the application unless you are hired. You can always use all 0s on on-line applications.

I tried using an all-O SS#, and it bounced, Your Rudness. - Z

[ In Reply To ..]

More age tends to mean more health care claims. SM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
More medical claims mean higher rates for all employees, which impacts the line rate that can be offered. This is undoubtedly a factor in choosing for younger employees. For the life of me, and of my income, I don't understand why any voter would oppose the separation of healthcare access from employment.

You are so right on this, age and claims - Older broad

[ In Reply To ..]
I really felt like I had the best of health, hmmm until they accidentally found out on CT scan for something else I have polycystic kidney disease (no symptoms - - yet) and then macular degeneration discovered, no symptoms really- - yet. I look really good from the outside and yet crumbling so to speak on the inside. Oh, even though I have excellent healthcare through hubby's job, donĂ¢€™t mind the separation of job and healthcare.

Age issues - Gem

[ In Reply To ..]
I know if employee they worry about carpal tunnel (who wouldn't have that) and back problems, etc. However!! If you are an IC why should they care? I am a lot healthier than a lot of people half my age and I know how to SPELL! Don't get it - we live in the wrong country, they want to throw you under the bus and that's the truth! At least in Europe, the older, the more respect.
Never had carpal tunnel and no backache here - Older Broad
[ In Reply To ..]
You would have thought with all this time I have spent here.

Im healthier and fitter than most folks 1/2 my age. - So insurance is no excuse. Z

[ In Reply To ..]

A job application does NOT need your SS#.....only IF - you are hired! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Thats what I thought, but the online application - would "bounce" if you didnt put -

[ In Reply To ..]
your SS# in there. I tried all zeros: Bounced. I tried zeros with just the last 4 digits of my SS#. Bounced. Would've just said screw it and walked away, but this was an inhouse job close to where I live, at a hospital I really would've liked to work at, so I continued on with filling in the application. Even left off all but my 2 most recent jobs, so they wouldn't think I had too much experience. But the birthday-field tripped me up again. That one didn't like zeros either. So, I filled it in truthfully, didn't like about my SSN or my BD, and never even got the courtesy of a call or an email. So, this time it wasn't the years of experience I had that they didn't like. The only other thing it could've been was my age. I doubt I'm going to allow myself to be jerked around by another online application again. No hard-copy application, no applicant! Either that, or I'm just gonna lie. Why should they care - they lie to US all the time, about things that actually matter.

Similar Messages:

Inscribe Illegal Employer
Jun 05, 2014

Only hiring I.C.'s? Inscribe is full of it! It costs more upfront to be a 1099, and helps them evade paying taxes. There is tremendous liability on top of it. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! *see link. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2013reports/201330058fr.pdf ...

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

I Was Warned Of A Potential Bad Employer By Checking
Apr 30, 2013

this forum and I backed out because I had to purchase software and would be "micromanaged" too closely. I found myself on the offensive and caught the recruiter off guard because I told him I had no money to buy software because MTs are so poor. It was beautiful just to hear his jaw drop! I felt tremendous just to boycott this industry in my own way. ...

Is It True That, As An IC, A Potential "employer" Cannot
Aug 20, 2014

ask if you work for another place right now?  I thought that they could not ask that. ...

Isnt There One Person On Here That Works For JLG In FL.
Jun 15, 2011

Would like some info on this company. ...

We Were Just Told We Lost A Client. So I Guess 99.6% Isnt Good Enough
Jan 16, 2014

If you paid your workers a LIVING WAGE they might actually give a flying flip about what they are doing instead of rushing through to the next report so they can grab all the pennies they can.    DISGUSTING!!!! ...

ILLEGAL
Sep 02, 2013

A company cannot REQUIRE an employee to sit in front of a computer and check for work and NOT compensate them for their time. Common sense. Call your labor board. Now if they are willing to go back to flex schedules, then it is a whole different story. Boy would I LOVE to go back to that!!! ...

Seen Posted Here Before That It Is Illegal To Pay Someone PTO
Apr 23, 2013

are paid on production.  Does anybody here know anything about this?  We have shown them they cant make us lie on timesheets, they have to pay at least minimum wage.  Now can we show them they have to calculate our PTO in a more fair fashion?  ...

Isn't It Illegal Not To Be Paid For Overtime Or
Jan 03, 2010

required telephone conferences?  ...

Illegal Not To Pay Independent Contractors
Dec 13, 2010

Is it illegal not to pay independent contractors twice a month.  It was agreed to in the hiring process? ...

Illegal? Unethical? Shady?
Mar 05, 2012

So "Perry" has a job on the job board.  You essentially give them leads from accounts you work on and they will try and underbid your current employer.  Guess they never heard of a confidentiality agreement, ethics, etc. ...

Now Its Recognizing Illegal Drug Use,,,lol
Jun 25, 2014

dictated: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin (then doc shuffling papers). typed: Pain is slightly improved with Vicodin off the street ...

Psoriatic Illegal Arthritis?
Aug 15, 2014

This is exactly what the dictator is saying, is this a thing? ...

Company Tactics; Unethical, But Not Illegal.
Mar 02, 2012

I am starting to see a trend here with companies hiring MTs at 6 cpl enticing them with easy doctors, tons of work, and once off of QA "you are bumped up to 7 to 7.5 cpl."  When asked, "Typically, how long does it take to get off of QA?"  The answer always is, "No one is ever on QA for more than 2 weeks or we let them, go...1-2 days typically."  What tends to happen after the first day or two, they begin to add the worst dictators to the pool, thus making it mo ...

Time Outside Production - Isn't It Illegal To Require This?
Feb 13, 2014

New to Nuance, swallowed up when they acquired my employer at the end of 2013.  I see they really expect you to spend a lot of time doing things outside your schedule, training, reading manuals, etc.  Other than a flat rate for installing and learning software (20 minutes, actually took twice that), they don't offer to pay for all this extra time.  Seems excessive.  Has anyone tracked this extra time and filed a complaint with DOL about it?  Or tried to clock into W ...

On-shore US Illegal Activities By Indian IT Companies
Nov 25, 2009

Related to the US transcriptionists issues with work offshoring to Indian companies, is this article series about Indian owned/run companies in the Information Technology field pulling illegal activities right here in the US in order to save money.  http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034732629.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034738024.htm http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_41/b4150034736588.htm Given that these owners would d ...

Do You Capitalize Illegal Drugs Such As Cocaine, Heroin, Etc?
Dec 08, 2011

or do you leave them in lower case.  I know you capitalized brand names and lower case on generics, but what about street drugs, always wondered that?  TIA ...

MME - Really More Pay Potential Or Not?
Oct 08, 2011

It has been suggested to me by my CCM that I apply for MME position, stating I will definitely make more $$$.  My gut says no I won't but I have nothing to back that up.  Any first-hand experience out there to confirm or negate my intuition?  ...

Potential Scam
Sep 19, 2012

I was contacted by a company wanting to interview by chatting.  I did all that, and it sounded so great.  Set your own hours, work as much as you want, etc.  All I had to do to get started was pay $295 for the software they use.  I did some fast Google searches in another window and decided not to.  They pointed out that as an Independent Contracter, I was responsible for my own equipment.  I pointed out that I bought my own hardware, which is almost universall ...

Potential New Hire
Dec 07, 2013

I've had a job offer with a transcription company..however, my problem is I'm required to have MS Word, version 2007 or 2010,,,no student/teacher/starter or trial editions....and I've gone to Best Buy, E Bay and Amazon.  The cheapest I have found to dowload it is $300 !!  That's not happening....so, is there a less expensive way ??? If not, I'm faced with turning down this job offer.   HELP !! ...

Potential Jobs --
Apr 10, 2015

These were listed on a recent Duke Career email I got. I think they are on-ground. I'm on the West coast. Tomah Memorial Hospital Transcriptionist Tomah (WI), Posted: Monday Mar 30th Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Transcriptionist Boston (MA), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th MidMichigan Health Sr Medical Transcriptionist Midland (MI), Posted: Thursday Mar 26th Miraca Life Sciences Transcriptionist Union (NJ), Posted: Thursday Apr 2nd ...

? S/l Asmedicine Revoke Potential
Jan 26, 2010

Patient has a history or balance problems.  sentence reads: She also had s/l asmediciine revoke potential which showed abnormal bilateral tibial s/l mad sensory evoke potentials in normal positions and "budda positions". ...

Potential Complication From Laparoscopic
Sep 23, 2010

"Risks, benefits, and potential complications were discussed with the patient, in particular _________ (s/l  *tomboy buttock*)  phenomenon".     (Pt. is a male). ????? ...

Inscribe For Potential Emplyment
Feb 06, 2012

How is Inscribe to work for.  Do they hire IC or just employees. I know we have talked about this before on here but just wanted to see if anyone was hired recently that would have an opinion on them.  I have gotten several emails from them regarding employment and have not pursued that. ...

Need Advice For A Potential Client
May 13, 2013

Hi, I wondered if some of you who have your own accounts or who have had your own accounts could give me some information.  I have been asked if I would like a part-time dermatology account as an independent contractor in my town.  They said I needed my own transcription software with ability to provide itemized report with invoices.  I know I could use Express Scribe, but what would I need for the itemized report with invoices.  Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would l ...

Keystrokes, As Bad As NU Or MM? Potential Offer
Aug 19, 2013

X ...

For Any Potential New Nuance Acquisition
Jun 21, 2014

Every time there is a hospital or clinic acquisition, those "acquired" MTs will be crammed onto existing accounts as their own account/work types become more streamlined and less available as more and more of it is done more efficiently with voice wreck and 3 shifts of people to do the work. Think of it like when a larger dog moves into a pen already crowded with too many dogs. All the pre-existing dogs have to scooch over yet again (exist on less) to make room for the new dog in the cage.& ...

Potential Employers Interview Process
Mar 22, 2011

So I graduated in February and began the job hunt.  Finally I receive one call back from a local company. To date I have attended two seperate interviews. The second time I was supposed to test but the computer was not working so a couple of weeks later they schedule testing at one of the transcriptionist house.  I test and the computer freezes up.  Luckily the test is recovered the next day and sent to the boss for review.  Get another call today, and am told that ...

Cold Contacting Potential Clients
May 31, 2011

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on cold contacting potential clients. Better by email, mail, fax or phone? Which would be thought of as the most professional? ...

Potential To Switch From Straight Transcription To SR?
May 15, 2013

Hi - I have been doing acute care work for this client as an IC for almost two years. While I enjoy the work, I know it is probably in my best interest to start doing some SR work as well. The company I work for just asked their ICs if anyone is interested in learning the SR platform for some new SR work that is coming onboard. I am currently only making .07 cpl! I know that SR line rates are generally lower since the "assumption" is you can go a bit faster, can anyone give me a fair id ...