A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is there any hope for me? - OrthoMT

Posted: Aug 27, 2010

I am no where near as experienced as some MTs even though I have been transcribing for 12 years.  Problem is, I have only done ortho.  When my in-house job went with the service, I went to.  Then my work was offshored, so I moved to a different company, still doing ortho, and making better money, about $40,000 a year.  Now the company has lost that account and I am unable to go with it.

I have been switched to an acute care account (clinic work only), doing VR.  Can anyone out there know how I feel like a fish out of water?  It is so difficult to learn to do the VR, using my hands differently and learning the function keys (not the best platform in the world).  What makes it even more difficult is now I have all these new specialties like cardiology, oncology, neurology, on and on and on.  I have to stop and research drugs, demos, abbreviations, procedures, etc.  Absolutely everything is new to me except the ortho work.  I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I was just learning the VR or just learning the new specialties, but both at the same time is driving me crazy. 

I decided that this is the way of the future, checked my attitude, and have tried to learn and push through.  I am told that my work is very good, but I am very slow.  Of course I am.  When I look at my paycheck now I feel like crying.  I have never worked this hard for so little money.  How long is it going to take for this to improve,  I don't expect to make what I was making in the past, but a 50% cut is tremendous.  Should I stick with it, and hope to come back to maybe at least $30,000.  Perhaps I could get a $25,000 to $28,000 job in my area and get out of MT altogether, but I don't want to wonder if I cheated myself. 

Please hold any insults.  I am just venting and wondering if anyone else has been through this who could offer some helpful advice.

Every single time I have had to learn a new specialty or platform. - MTPockets

[ In Reply To ..]
What you are feeling is completely normal. It does feel overwhelming when you have to keep stopping to look up terms and drugs, but hang in there! By doing so, you are giving yourself a great education and you will be zipping past words that you once had to stop and look up. There is always a learning curve with any new specialty or platform. A good supervisor should recognize that you are simply overwhelmed right now. They should have the ability to remove some work types from your work pool. Can you talk to her and let her know you are feeling overwhelmed? Tell her you will glady accept the challenge of another specialty once you are comfortable with what you are doing. She should appreciate your candor and accommodate your wishes.

Do not give up. We have all stood where you are right now. If you have done ortho for 12 years, you have the right tools and you will soon be feeling just as confident about other specialties. Don't give up! It DOES get easier.

Thank you. I guess I have no choice, besides.... SM - OrthoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
What would I put on my resume?...."Excellent ortho MT - Stupid about everything else."

I guess it wouldn't seem so difficult if it was just 1-2 new specialties, but so many at one time really blows my mind. However, it has just become too diffiult to chase 1 specialty and I have come to realize no matter how good you are at it, companies don't like that.

I am a hard and dedicated worker. I am very reliable too, but since I have seen what has happened to my paycheck I have become very depressed and feel worthless. I know many come on here and brag about how good they are and how smart they are, with loads of experience but surely some have found themselves in my position, even if they are afraid to admit it.

I'm smart and good with loads of experience but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate ortho, so my hat's off to you! Also in the same boat having the ridiculously decreased paycheck and the terrible treatment and the offshoring and, and on and on, now will be learning a new platform and new account.

Weird, I didn't mind being treated like a machine as long as they pay was good and I was valued as an employee. But machines don't need food and shelter in order to keep doing their work and I do. Also I care about document quality and that was not rewarded; in fact, it is nearly discouraged these days.

The only reason I've stayed in the profession this long is because I care about clarity of the written word--even when NOBODY else does and I don't get paid for it.

Just wondering if your employer would do this - Hmmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
Would they be receptive to giving you just 1-2 new specialties at a time to learn, along with ortho? That way, you could take your time learning 1-2 new fields but also have the ortho with which you are familiar to keep your line count (and paycheck!) up.

Since they know your situation, maybe they'd be receptive to such an arrangement and relieve you of some of that stress.

In any event, as other posters have said, don't give up. You'll learn, and more quickly than you realize. Once you have to look up those new meds and new terms, they'll stick in your brain and before you know it, you'll be whipping out ANY specialty report with the same speed and confidence with which you do ortho.

Good luck!

Similar Messages:

Used To Hope For Lots Of Work, Now I Hope For NJA Or To Be FIRED
Oct 09, 2013

This job is not worth the trouble.  It certainly does nothing for me when I open the "paycheck" every 2 weeks and see that despite my 40 "power hours" every week, I made less than last time.  No matter what, I cannot manage to make a decent living here any more.  I am over it.  Sad to admit, and yes, the shame is on me, but I do wish for NJA or even better, to be FIRED from this place.  Just had to get this off my chest before I burst into flames of fury at the horrid qu ...

A Little Holiday Message Of Hope (I Hope!)
Dec 10, 2013

Hi, everyone. A year or so ago, I read a message by a former transcriptionist who had gotten into medical school and was at last working as a physician. I'm sure it's still here in the archives somewhere; please forgive me for not digging it up. I remain grateful to that poster to this day. Yes, even if she was making it all up! It still inspired me so much. Last month I began work at only the second job I have ever held outside the MT field. It took me seemingly forever to find it, a ...

Is There Hope For My Pay?
Jul 12, 2010

So... I've been at Medquist for about 6 months - I was a new grad so I only make 0.05 a line (I know, I know, save your comments about that people!). I actually have really good accounts so I never make less than $12 an hour so at least I'm not making minimum wage. But anyway I was wondering if anyone knew what people with a year experience start at and what my hopes are for raises in the future. Surely they can't pay me 0.05 forever, right?? right??? ...

My Last Hope
Aug 18, 2010

He says "I have ordered blood tests to rule out the possibility of an inflammatory edemunothologic condition." Any idea? I'm starting to lose it!!!!!! ...

Is There Any Hope?
Aug 15, 2011

Hi, I did do as someone suggested and contacted via email Erin Brockovich, but we have to understand her organization does deal mostly with environmental litigation.  I did try and summarize our difficulties and requested if she might direct us to an organization who might help us.  In listing our complaints I found they were too numerous to list, and since we are virtual, I was not clear as to whether we could prove some of my/our accusations.&n ...

There Is Hope MT's!...well For Now
May 02, 2012

Well, just quit Nuance.  Can't believe I made it nearly 2 years, after being at OSi for 5 years.  They sent all my work overseas and there has not been any work there for the past month!  After reading many many posts here I thought MT days were over!  Then a job came up, I replied and for 2 weeks I have been working for a small local company, no VR, you can copy and paste for your lines (instead of it being against "HIPAA policies" per Nuance!) and what...a local Englis ...

There IS Hope!
May 18, 2012

I left an MTSO that started off okay to begin with, but the honeymoon ended shortly after with a barrage of e-mails to speed up, slow down, work more, longer, etc.  I didn't realize how much this all stressed me out until I stumbled upon my new job which is THE most amazing company I've ever worked for! The pay is twice what I was making at my previous place. NO ESL, VR, only straight typing. Most importantly, an amazing caring and understanding TL. I am left alone to do what nee ...

There Is Hope Out There After All
Nov 18, 2012

Got fired from MModal two weeks ago after 12 years with them for not making quite the minimum wage for my state (one of the highest). I was devastated as only needed to hang on for 2 more years before retirement age and afraid I would not get another MT job after being fired for the first time in my life, but also a little relieved as I knew it would force me to find something that pays better, MT or non-MT. I took my daughter and baby to their pediatrician appointment a week ago Friday and got ...

I.N.T.E.G.R.I.T.Y Is Too Much To Hope For
Jun 29, 2014

Too many MTs on an account now that almost all of it is VR and shipped off overseas?  Nuance COULD choose to lay us off (honorably) and eliminate a bunch of sassy MTs that have been around the block too many times to be run off with the trickery and disrespectful planted errors (that actually do compromise patient care and encourage medical malpractice claims).  Honestly. I.N.T.E.G.R.I.T.Y. starts at the top.  Stop lying when you acquire these new clinc MTs. They will NOT all ha ...

There Is Hope
Jun 17, 2015

I am now an ex-Nuance employee and happy to be so. I have found a company (actually 2) that has work available, doesn't demand 4-hour TAT and let's me work the hours I choose without committing to a schedule as long as I do XX number of lines on the days I says I will work. The work I have had thus far has been, for the most part, good dictators, and the QA I have received has been very helpful, not punitive or downright mean, and my pay is punished by it! Keep your heads up and kee ...

I Hope Someone Will See What's Happening To Me
Dec 11, 2009

Do I have options, or just wait until they fire me (why? this is crazy!).  ...

Hope Renewed
Jan 14, 2010

Further down the board regarding TAA someone said they filled out an application online regarding the TAA benefits, and then made an appointment to talk with someone about the situation. Thank you for that information, I feel like I can try again.  I advise anyone to read that post and take a different approach.  As the original poster said, they have no clue how we are paid and it may make a difference, I never thought of that.  One question, where do I find the application? ...

I Hope MQ Eats Up WMX!
Sep 02, 2010

The biggest irony and the best thing we can wish for is that Webmedx gets eat up by Medquist and they lose everything! I was a QA and the editing on those accounts, especially on MModal was ATROCIOUS.  Everytime you went to a new report you had to reset audio. EVERY TIME. Their software is the pits.  It's no wonder they don't have good quality.  The MTs were amazing with the work they did and were able to put out considering the horrible dictators and accounts, atrocious ...

Hope In Sight
Oct 26, 2010

Just wondering if anyone getting unemployment received a letter from their Dept. of Labor. It mentions HCTC (Health Coverage Tax Credit), TRA (trade readjustment allowance and RTAA (reemployment trade adjustment assistance.  The letter mentions that I am a transcriptionist who worked for a named  MTSO and now I may be eligible for retraining. I'm just wondering if the Dept. of Labor is now getting involved with our cause.   ...

A Small Ray Of Hope For MTs
Sep 02, 2011

Recently, one of our local hospitals opened up 4 full time jobs to QA the work they are getting from their vendor.  It seems the doctors were complaining about the quality of their reports.  My hope is that other hospitals as well will see that you get what you pay for and that the lower rates they are demanding followed by the lower rates paid to qualified MTs working for companies like MQ results in the loss of the most qualified MTs and inferior work being produced by less qualified ...

Hope For The Future! Sm
Dec 18, 2011

I just finished typing a patient -   106 years old - NO past medical history, NO past surgical history, completely negative ROS, NO medications at all.  She came into the ER for a tooth abscess!  ...

I Sure Hope Nobody Applies To TTD INC.
Apr 14, 2012

Job seekers board. They are offering 3cpl. They should be boycotted. ...

Hope FLOATS!
Sep 13, 2012

Like so many of you, I have sent out countless resumes over the past 3 years, mostly with no response.  The ones who did respond were not worth even giving up my low paying transcription work.  Then something magical happened.  I got laid off in mid June.  I filed for food stamps and unemployment and was assigned to a person in the UE office called a Career Coach.  I met with him weekly for several weeks and he helped me with my resume, coached me thru the inte ...

Glimmer Of Hope
Nov 03, 2012

I put in my resignation from Nuance yesterday :o) I just wanted to share a glimmer of hope with you all. There is a much better life out there beyond Nuance. I was able to find an MT job that is M-F, straight typing only, and pays 11 cpl. It is independent contractor status with a very flexible schedule. No benefits, but I couldn't afford the benefits at Nuance anyway and had to use all my PTO for NSA. I just wanted to encourage everyone to keep looking because there are good jobs out ther ...

There Is Hope For Incentive
Apr 15, 2013

After months of trying, I finally made the incentive bonus.  I have always missed it because of something and to be honest had just really given up, but I have to say that seeing it there made me feel good.  I have no problem with Nuance and never really have.  QA definitely has its moments but I have stuck with them because I love the main account I have and I couldn't ask for a better team leader.  For those of you thinking about coming to them, please realize that the ...

Don't Give Up - There's Hope!
May 24, 2013

I have a small medical transcription service. For years, all of my clients were physicians. With the implementation of the EHR, my business took a nose dive, but I’m now (thankfully and gratefully) beginning to build my client base up again which consists of non-medical clients. How many others have made a successful change like this in their once-only-medical-transcription service? ...

Docs You Hope You Never Have To Go To...
Jan 12, 2015

I have had a dictator who always downgrades whatever pain score someone gives.  For example, he says things like, "The patient says his pain level is 7/10, but I think it is really only a 3."  I have really never heard him agree with a patient's pain score, and I thought the point of pain scores was to find out how the patient was feeling, not how you thought s/he should be feeling.  It's kind of funny, but I would not want him for my physician.  Just wondering if o ...

What Does This Mean? Hope We Do Not Lose Our Jobs.
Nov 05, 2009

Transcribers Band for Network HDM Breaking News, November 4, 2009 The Medical Transcription Industry Association, Verizon Business and five transcription firms have formed a consortium to develop common standards and practices for digitizing and sharing transcriptions of physician-dictated notes.Basking Ridge, N.J.-based Verizon is contributing an information technology platform, expected to be available later this year. Charter transcription firms in the new Medical Transcription Service Cons ...

Last Question I Hope :-) S/l Extreated
Dec 09, 2009

MRI scan reveals there are some degenerative changes present, but there is a full-thickness radial tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  The portion of the meniscus is extreated medially. tia. ...

This Gives Me Hope That There Are Still Good Jobs In
Jan 15, 2010

I love this in-house job ad.  Wish I lived in Pennsylvania: Medical Records Transcriptionist Promoting Hope, Healing, and Wholeness BASIC FUNCTION: Under general supervision transcribes treatment teams’ dictation for inclusion in patients’ medical records. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Operates dictating equipment and word processor in order to transcribe materials dictated by treatment team members for inclusion in the patient medical record. Depending on length of dictation, transc ...

A Flicker Of Hope For This Industry!!!
May 04, 2010

I spoke with a wonderful company today that offered IC positions and the owner of the company told me that she refuses to offshore because she could not honestly tell her clients that she can be HIPPA compliant when the files leave the US soil and that she refuses to under bid her MTs who contract with her and she tells anybody who wants to do business with her that she will not offshore and she chooses to pay her MTs an honest living wage!!!!  Hooray for her.  I was really impressed w ...

NJA This Morning. Hope The New People
Jun 24, 2010

people get tested quickly so they can get to work on this backlog!!! ...

On New Years Eve, 1999 - I Had So Much Hope For
Aug 06, 2010

It seems like ever since Jan. 1, 2000, everything you can think of has gone even further down the tubes: U.S. Government Wars we're involved in. MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION INDUSTRY. The economy. Our life savings/retirement.  The Middle Class. The Justice System. Wall Street. Opportunities for employment (in any field, but especially MT). Banking. Home ownership.  (Most of us can't afford to get in;  and too many of those who did get into the housing market, ca ...

A Message Of Hope, From A Former MQer
Nov 09, 2011

I have been accepted to law school!  I went back to college about a year after returning to the Q after a long absence.  When I saw how things had changed in the industry and at the Q, I realized that MT was not going to be a reliable source of income for me for more than a couple more years.  I ended up leaving the Q shortly after starting college, also, and check in here now and then to see how bad things are.  I do not doubt my decisions for a second after just spendi ...

Hope Work Picks Up Soon
Jan 11, 2012

I have been putting in a lot of resumes and not getting any responses. Ever since before the holidays the work seems to have dried up at least for me. Anyone think it will pick up soon? I need to find work soon somewhere really hurting. ...