A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is it even possible to purchase Word on a disk anymore? - Kiki

Posted: Aug 23, 2014

I just need MS Word 2013....but everywhere I look all I see available are "download only" or "no media" or key card only, no disk. I'm worried about getting a copy with no disk. Has anyone ever found a place to purchase Word with a disk for a reasonable price? Or have you had luck with just the downloaded version? Downloaded versions are usually in the $60 to $80 range. Thanks for any advice!

Sure it's 2013 you need? cannot use 2007 or 2010? - trying to help. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
'

I think I can use 2007/2010..... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, thanks so much for trying to help me- I appreciate it so much.
I just figured I'd get the most current version; however, I'm hearing it's better to get the actual disk not download. I've been looking on Amazon, Ebay, New Egg, etc, and haven't found 2013 avail on disk--just download--unless I'm missing it. Is it easier to find the older versions on disk?

Version of word depends on employer...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Before you buy any version of Word, check with MTSO/employer to find out what works on the platform(s) you'll be using. I don't understand why you are afraid of doing a download instead of having a disk. My last purchase of Word 2010 was a download and no problem whatsoever.
Thanks! I wanted to hear if anyone had - Kiki
[ In Reply To ..]
problems with the download. I didn't see why either, just randomly heard the disk is better....anyway, thanks again!

kiki - Old Anon is right, ask employer first. Most - of them say 2003 or higher but

[ In Reply To ..]
newest versions of anything, I have found, are not always the way to go, at least for me. I like to keep 1 or 2 steps behind because I don't need half the new whistles and bells, and most of the unforeseen glitches have been ironed out. I'm always compatible with systems out there, and I find prices more affordable, with years of mileage left in them. Yes, I do believe the newer versions are harder to find on disk.

If you have an MTSO you are setting up for - ask them for their input.

Downloads depend on from whom or where you get them. Run a scan afterwards (virus/malware) and back it up onto something, since no disk, in case you crash or want to change computers again.

I have Office 2007, having just come off of 2003 when XP was no longer supported. I'm fine with it. You'll have to read up on 2010 or find someone who uses it for input on that one.

Do you have Office or Word on your old computer? Programs can be transferred over a couple of different ways - google and read, that's how I learn. Transferred mine with an external drive stick.

I know. Headache, right?
Yes, kind of a pain, especially since - Kiki
[ In Reply To ..]
my my old company provided the computer and all software. Now that I'm looking for a new job, I am finding most do not provide equipment. Not to mention, I haven't ever used MS Word--I hope it's pretty easy to learn-- Thanks so much for your advice and help!
word process program - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
Many companies don't require that you purchase software anymore because the transcription client software is all online. It's pretty cool because your computer pretty much acts as a terminal and all the software is maintained by the MTSO. All you would do program-wise is maintain virus software, and they do the rest. Cindy
It's about half/half - jobs requiring some version of Word or not. - Depends. Job ads will specify. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
`

Word - Dee

[ In Reply To ..]
I just bought a new computer and I downloaded my Word 2003 CD and it works fine.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Best Word Expander To Purchase?
Mar 31, 2010

And how do you come up with everything you will need to add to it?  Thx. ...

Trying My Darndest To Purchase MS Word 2007
Jul 13, 2011

Ok.. I have a job offer but have to purchase MS Word 2007.  Do I need the home/student version or the office version?    What does everyone else use?  And yes, I'm a dummy. ...

Is The Only Way To Purchase MS Word 2010 Or 2013
Oct 30, 2014

Need to buy MS Word for my new job.  However, when I purchased the 2007 version online it was an "academic version" only.  Can't use that.  I guess I have to buy a newer version, like 2010 or 2013, but it seems like the only way to do that is via download and then you pay a subscription of ??? per month or year?  This is fine by me IF the company will allow that.  I just want it to be legal and a licensed full version...obviously the one I purchased online was NOT.& ...

Disk Versus Disc - Degenerative Disk/disc Disease?
Sep 26, 2014

I work with an MT who insists that it is degenerative disk disease, but we have an ortho doctor who insists it is degenerative disc disease.  He is so annoyed that in his latest dictation he says "humor me and just spell it d-i-s-c" and then proceeds to spell the word every single time he says it throughout the report. Now, I will say that I always typed it "degenerative disc disease" because I worked for an ortho office and was told that was the preferred spelling.  When I start ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

S/l Purchase?
Nov 12, 2009

Unfortunately, her screws would not s/l purchase due to bone quality and so no real stabilization could be accomplished.   ???? ...

So Now We Have To Purchase Software If We Don't
Oct 29, 2012

already have it on our computer.  thanks Transcend! ...

Possible Purchase Of Spheris By Nuance
Apr 14, 2010

Has anyone heard anything on if MedQuist has won the bid for Spheris?   I have been reading the news on the internet and it looks like there are two other bidders, but I have been praying for the past few weeks that MedQuist will win so we keep our jobs here in the U.S. ...

Foot Pedals Where To Purchase?
Jun 19, 2010

Relocating to Houston. Does anyone know of places where I can purchase foot pedals? Thank you. Wil ...

Looking To Purchase New Head Phones
Jun 24, 2010

I am looking to purchase new head phones. The cheap ones I note break so easily and I cannot hear very well. I like the head phones that go over the whole ear. Can someone tell me what they find is the best head set to use? If you could give me the name of them and even where you got them and some information about them, I would appreciate it!! Thanks for your time. Liz ...

Should I Purchase A Foot Pedal?
Jul 26, 2010

I am about half way through my transcription training, I've just begun the actual transcription portion of my schooling.  My school did not provide a foot pedal nor did they say that I needed to purchase a foot pedal but trying to do a transcription with a mouse is a pain in the you know what!  Is this something that I will get used to or should I purchase a foot pedal? Any suggestions on what I should purchase? ...

Does Nuance Require MTs To Purchase Their
Oct 31, 2014

If so, is it easy to get it onto MS Word?  Could anyone share which one use?     Thanks! ...

Latest Report On CBay Purchase
Feb 07, 2010

Not quite a done deal, but CBay thinks it is.   Wonder where Kumar got $75 million!!!!  We earned it for him. http://www.bloombergutv.com/industry-news/pharma-biotech-industry-news/44368/consolidation-on-cards--cbay.html ...

Which Foot Pedal To Purchase For Transcription
Oct 02, 2012

Can someone please advise me as to which foot pedal to purchase for transcription -  one that is most universal with transcription/dictation programs? thx ...

MS Office 2007 Or 2010. Anyone Have To Purchase This Lately?
Apr 08, 2014

Hi! I need to purchase this software to start a new MT job immediately. It cannot be the trial or the student version.  I am wondering if anyone else has had to purchase this recently?  I am hoping to find a discounted one somewhere, and I'm hoping someone might have a ligit link??  Thanks!! ...

Disk Or Disc
Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone have a trick on how to know which is the right form to use?  When I look them up in the dictionary I am thinking disc is for eyes and disk is for spine??  Any help appreciated!  ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...

Disk Vs Disc
May 11, 2012

I am curious as to the correct way to use this word when talking about the spine.  I have seen it both ways in my references and back in the day it used to be disc when talking about the eye, but it seems now ortho is using it.  Can someone enlighten me please as to the current preference? ...

Disc Or Disk?
Feb 25, 2015

what is the preferred spelling of disc/disk?  The way I learned was that it doesn't totally matter as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.  But now I am getting feedback that it does matter.  Thoughts? ...

Disk Versus Disc
Jan 16, 2010

Cervical disk versus disc, which is the preferred?  I thought it was disk, but in speech jobs lately it is spelled as disc.  TIA ...

Age Old Question: Disk Or Disc
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's been asked before -- and answered before.  BOS 2nd likes DISK.  I still like it too.  I also like DISC for anything optic related.  Unless definite client preference, is there any updated consensus on using one or the other these days?   Thanks. ...

Disc Versus Disk
Jun 07, 2011

Can someone please clear this up for me as in C3-4 disc or disk? ...

Stapedotomy Disk On A Stick?
Feb 10, 2012

Ever heard of a disk on a stick for a stapedotomy? ...

PIC/PICC And Disk/Disc
Apr 11, 2015

ASR always used to type out PICC (not PIC) and disk (not disc).  I just did a long report and throughout the report it had both disc and disk even in the same sentence.  Also, we were told PICC is the correct abbreviation, not PIC -- so why all of a sudden can't ASR get these abbreviations/words correct?  Why is it getting worse?  How is it getting worse? ...

Disk Or Disc?? What's The Final Verdict?
Apr 18, 2013

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was taught "disk" for eye, "disc" for vertebrae. These days, QA is contraindicating themselves like crazy.  If I type disc for vertebrae, they change it to disk.  If I type disk for vertebrae, they change it to disc.  What gives?  Same goes for eye.  This is driving me nuts.  What do you do here? ...

Sounds Like Dysglurban Or Disk Lurban??
Jan 02, 2014

I have a doc saying "problem with chronic dizziness slash (and what sounds like) dysglurban" Any ideas? ...

"disk Bulging Of The (___)opathy Abutting...
Oct 15, 2011

Can anyone help with the beginning of this word? CT scan done which revealed disk bulging of the (___)opathy abutting the right S1 nerve root, L5-S1. Thank you. ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

I Can't Take It Anymore!!
Jan 18, 2010

I have had 6 (SIX!) reports come through, all having the same mush-mouthed, fast talking, whispering, ESL doctor.  Oh, and the sing-song thing is really about to make me blow my stack. I swear, he is so bad that I can't even understand the patient's name!!!! I am going to pull my hair out.  Yep, I feel it coming.  It takes me forever just to get through ONE of his reports.  He gets so many blanks that I honestly feel sorry for the QA person that end ...