A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have often wondered - SM

Posted: Jun 05, 2014

I think of thousands (I hope) MTs coast to coast across the country working at home under various circumstances, and I try to picture this in my head.  I live in Tennessee and I have my office set up where I am facing a window.  The window is open and there is a nice breeze, I'm watching the hummingbirds at the feeder, and across the road in the woods there is a mother deer and two little spotted babies.  Would anyone care to share where you live and what your office setup is like? 

I live in the country too - Old School

[ In Reply To ..]
My office has a door to the outside which I keep open any time the weather allows. There's a woods right out back where I can hear birds singing.

Not in the country and right now no window - to look out of

[ In Reply To ..]
I got a roommate a couple of years ago, so had to move my office out of the main room in my very small house into my bedroom. I work third shift, so the windows are blacked out, so my desk is in the corner. I have a TV on all the time, though, so I don't feel quite so isolated, even if it is just Star Wars playing again from my iPod. LOL.

Roomie moves to Florida in 18 days and change, though, so the desk gets moved back out into the main room and I can once again look out the window into the front yard, at least in the mornings before I go to bed.

I love where I live because I too have the - animals around me, not country per se

[ In Reply To ..]
but out of the big city about 30 miles. I have woods close behind the house and see deer frequently, even coming to my patio to feed on my bird seed I put out. I made a bedroom over for my office and my window faces the street, mailbox, driveway. I like to see when someone might approach. I love my animal friends. Have seen a wild turkey, a turtle, the deer, cats and dogs wander thru and I just love my place. One thing I have here that I did not have while in the city are cardinals and even saw a woodpecker 1 day. Those are hard to spot now days. I am a Tennessee born and bred though.

West Coast? Inner city? - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I am particularly curious about West Coast MTs because I have never been there and it is completely foreign to me. Also what it is like for MTs who live in a big city.

West Coast - San Diego, CA...... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
My window overlooks my front yard, allowing me to keep dibs on my mom (dementia) so she doesn't wander off (haha). I can also see trees/flowers in the yard and my 2 Pomeranians romping around with each other in the yard, occasionally yapping at passers-by.....and then I use my clicker and they come running in the house thru the doggy door, as they know they will get a treat. I can't work facing a wall...got to have a window to stare out when this work gets frustrating, as it often does. : )

in the country also - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in the country too. I see deer a few times a week. I can hear the birds sing all day long. As it gets closer to evening the frogs are out croaking in force. It's very soothing.

My office used to be downstairs but it was freezing cold in the winter and sweltering in the summer, so I moved upstairs where I can have the woodstove in the winter and the windows open in the summer.

I wouldn't want to trade this for working in the big city with a view of smog, thousands of cars, and the concrete walls of the buildings next to you.

Country worker here also. - Live in N. Idaho on a

[ In Reply To ..]
small horse ranch. Only sounds I hear are the birds, bees and occasional donkey heehaw. No solicitors either. Only drawback is it's hard to get back to work if I go outside for a little bit.

West Coast and Loving It - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I live on the West Coast and live in a major city. I have a window to look out of to my side and I see a semi-busy street, people out walking their dogs, lots of birds. Right now the city workers are fixing the road in front of my house. I like the noise of the city. I don't feel so isolated in such an isolating job. The temperature is perfect year round. Hardly ever use air conditioning or heater. Stores, gas stations, banks, gyms, restaurants and a library are less than a mile away. Love it!

Phoenix, AZ here - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My office is set up in the master bedroom next to an 8 x 8 window. I have a large desk, filing cabinet, printer, and two computers, one for work, one my PC. Though not in the country, I still have a pretty view as I enjoy gardening. Right outside my window I've planted a large plumeria (Hawaiian/lei plant), bougainvillea, and fan palms, so it looks lush for AZ. I can see many birds including hummingbirds, hot air balloons over the mountains behind our house, and beautiful sunsets.

Previously, I loved living in a high-rise in downtown Boston on the waterfront, but my desk had no view at all and just faced a wall.

Also in the country - thankful

[ In Reply To ..]
My desk also faces a window where I have bird feeders (my coworkers LOL). My backyard backs up to a national forest so very peaceful.

I live in Boston - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
in my teeny tiny condo with only 2 windows in the entire place. My "office" is in my living room and I do look out one window with a view of a busy 2 lane street, which is mostly people walking around. I love the big city and I love to people watch so this really is my perfect place.

I have a crappy office to match my crappy employer - N - but do have a window

[ In Reply To ..]
I may not have a pot to ?!$$ in but I at least have a window to throw it out of.

Small semi-rural town on San Francisco's - north bay, overlooking the -

[ In Reply To ..]
water. It's windy out there today with lots of chop, so no kayaks, only cargo ships and the occasional sailboat. Lots of trees & squirrels, birdbath right outside my window. I love my view, the only problem is I find it hard to look back at my computer. It's a perfect day, and it's much more interesting outside than indoors working.

I live in a bay in California and I can hear - sea lions and smell the ocean

[ In Reply To ..]
while I'm working. I can also smell the fried food on the wharf. :o It makes me hungry.

I also live in Tennessee - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
Rutherford County. Office is 12 x 14. Desk is L-shaped, which gives plenty of room for some my fur babies to stretch out. Unfortunately, my back is to a window, which might be a good thing 'cause I would be easily distracted. The wildlife I've seen on the property are rabbits, skunks, and vultures.

total envy! - bornfree

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm totally dying here, reading where you guys are! Blessed to have been able to visit San Francisco/Calif coast and Tennessee several times, and love it all - gorgeous! But I live in Chicago burbs, office in the basement, no windows, just washer and dryer, a couple fake plants, surrounded by stacks upon stacks of our daughter's apartment stuff, as she was hit by the economy and now lives with us. Upstairs we have lots of windows and very sunny, pretty yard and neighborhood, but down here it's cold and dark, no matter what time of year, and even have to wear winter clothes in summer. :( trying to find another job! Having Seasonal Affective Disorder doesn't help...blah!

I live a couple of hours north of - NYC...

[ In Reply To ..]
...in a country-ish area in a mobile home. My dear dad set up a bird feeder right outside of my den window where I work, and I love watching the beautiful local birdies come by, cardinals, woodpeckers, blue jays, you name it. My kitty gets a big kick out of it too, especially when a squirrel raids the bird feeder. hah!

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

denver here and mountains galore - transplanted Easterner

[ In Reply To ..]
The contrast of the mountains against the blue-blue sky and white clouds makes for a sanguine place to look when I get frustrated with cavalier mush-mouth dictators.

Semi country... - 4vrtpng

[ In Reply To ..]

I too live in upstate NY about 45 minutes west of Albany.  I have two windows to look out of while I type, unfortunately one of them looks at the house next door.  The other gives me a view of the seasons as they roll by without me, as I seemed to doomed to be in here a while longer.  I have finished school, passed my boards and have New York license to take x-rays in NY, just need to find a job and I am out of here. Worked for just about 4 hours yesterday and made only $36.  Would have been over $62, if it had not been for stupid SR.  So cannot wait to hand in my resignation.  

Similar Messages:

I Am Not Currently An MQ Employee, But I Wondered
Dec 04, 2011

I was contacted by an MQ recruiter saying she wanted to schedule an interview for me at a certain time on a day I was gone all day.  I emailed her and told her I was so sorry, but had just now seen the email.  I have not heard from her again and this was last Monday.  Is this the way MQ does things always? ...

Always Wondered If Some Doctors Are Really Coherent During Dictation
Dec 08, 2011

Everyone one of this doctor's dictations end with "The rest of the....." but maybe should have been left off of this one.  "She was declared expired on 10/08/2011 at 11:25.  The rest of the hospital stay was uneventful." May the patient rest in peace.  ...

I Just Got Offered .50 Cents Per Line And Wondered
Mar 25, 2014

what is the going rate for most MT jobs per minute of dictation? Help! ...

KCS PsychType. Wondered If This Service Has Happy Transcribers.
May 30, 2011

On this posting only 1 was found a while ago and the transcriptionist said it was 2 hours away and she needed the job badly, but no questions were answered and she would have to drive 2 hours away tao be trained.  The pay was very low and many difficulty factors.  Wondered if over the years, anytihing has changed.  This is just a one-owner business and not a big national. ...