A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have a question regarding QA. Let's say you have a dictator who 9 times out of 10 dictates t - SM...

Posted: Sep 15, 2014

exactly the same on every report and you have put his ROS and PE in your abbreviation expander, but sometimes he will dictate something out of order.  For example, the dictator still says the same exact things he always says, but sometimes instead of saying "EXTREMTIES:  No clubbing, cyanosis or edema."  He says, "EXTREMITIES:  No edema, clubbing or cyanosis."  Do you go back and change it or do you leave it since he is saying the same thing?  And if you don't change it to the exact order he dictates it, is it considered an error?

All of my accounts are verbatim, so yes, I do go back and change it. nm - sadie

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well, I work for a small hospital as their transcription supervisor and - SM...

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the process of trying to come up with guidelines for the department. I've been here about 10 months. My first order of business was to set fair production guidelines and insure that everyone was meeting at least the minimum. This was met with A LOT of resistance. I have three MTs who have been here at this hospital and ONLY this hospital for their entire careers. The idea of a minimum production requirement didn't sit well with them as they were used to transcribing 600 or sometimes less lines a day without any repercussions!

Having jumped that hurdle which took several months, I am now ready to tackle QA. One problem is there is no uniformity whatsoever in report formatting. One of the ladies has the newest edition of the AHDI Book of Style on her desk, but as far as I can tell she is the only one who tries to adhere to that standard and she only loosely adheres to it. The others just do their own thing. I have decided I need to sit down and actually write some guidelines for my department. I decided to start with the whole verbatim issue as I personally do not feel verbatim transcription is appropriate in all situations (as in my example posted above). I believe that most physicians expect transcription to clean up their grammar and arrange their thoughts coherently. I refuse to believe that MTs, with all the education and knowledge they are expected to have, should be relegated to become typing zombies, typing only what they hear and not exercising their brain.

I would like to know what the consensus is on the issue of verbatim. I know that most places and accounts require verbatim and I know you do what your told. What I want to know is what most MTs THINK about verbatim. Do you agree with it or not? What is your opinion (not what the AHDI says or what the MTSOs say)?

I've been in this industry for a very long time and I do not believe the AHDI to be the final authority in all things transcription. So while I am familiar with their book of style, I do not agree with a lot of their "rules." So when I write my guidelines, I am going to seek out the opinions of MTs who were in this business before and during the rise of the book of style.

As a small MTSO owner... - Toni

[ In Reply To ..]
...I do fix up their grammar, punctuation, etc. I don't do hospital transcription, only clinic. From my standpoint, I know most of my doctors and I know that they do appreciate our efforts to do so. In my 20 years of transcribing, I've only had one doctor who disputed a comma that I left out because I thought it was inappropriate to use it where he had it. Go figure.

My feeling with - "verbatim"

[ In Reply To ..]
and I put it in quotes because there are plenty of times when it is not appropriate, is that we started getting more and more of this when the quality of MTs started to decline, either due to matchbook schools or Indians. You are wise to require reasonable American English grammar standards in your department.

good for you - me

[ In Reply To ..]
One of my issues is being told to leave a blank when the dictator clearly states milligram when dictating a medicine that comes microgram (and vice versa) and not being allowed to transcribe the correct term. Some medicines may come either way, but there are some obvious exceptions. Dictating a medication that I KNOW absolutely is incorrect but the word they used was "close" to the correct word, again having to leave a blank instead of putting in the right word. I'm not using these examples as doubt of what was said or gray area either/or words. There are things that you know 100% in every fiber of your being and to be told to leave a blank is nuts. We all have an education, we all likely have things in personal life that make us "experts" on certain things. It would be nice to be trusted to use it.

Verbatim transcription - hjr

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a transcription supervisor for a large hospital group. I have been a transcriptionist for over 30 years. All of our work is outsourced overseas. I hate, hate, hate verbatim transcription.

If you are dealing with inhouse transcriptionists who have been there for a long time, I would expect that they would automatically clean up a ESL dictator's report. Whenever I get something back from the service by a ESL dictator, I must clean up the report (grammar, syntax, comprehension of what is being said, etc., in adition to the blanks they leave. It is my contention that if a transcriptionist does not know how to correct a report (grammar, syntax, etc) they should not be transcribing. That is what 30 years of experience should teach you, how to create a clean, concise report,not to type every word a provider dictates exactly the way he dictates.

Verbatim is usually just an - excuse for incompetence

[ In Reply To ..]
Verbatim started getting popular when offshoring took off, and, to me, is an MTSO's response to incompetence. You hardly ever saw it prior to 1998 or so, even with Medquist and whatever Nuance used to be, and when you did, it was the mark of somebody with very poor skills.

The BOS supported judicious editing and good schools taught it. It was the reason students from those schools got jobs and others did not.

Verbatim transcription produces a poor product. It is now one of the main reasons that physicians and facilities tolerate SR and point and click mess ... they do not see much difference between that and the verbatim garbage they get from MTSOs.

We are told verbatim but also "use your best judgment." - Can you imagine...

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not just ESLs we are awesome at making look good, but we have also all had those dictators that screw up numbers in a list, or say "paragraph" after every sentence, or the ones who think they are editors and love to pepper in colons or semicolons EVERYWHERE.

My experience with verbatim is that I once had - to go to court and testify

[ In Reply To ..]
about a specific case. It was a long time ago as we were still using standard cassettes. The judge listened to the dictation, read my transcription, and inquired if it was usual and customary to transcribe what the physician meant to say or transcribed verbatim what he actually said. It was our custom to transcribe verbatim and I so testified. Part of the problem with this case was determining why transcription did not change it to what he "meant to say." Since that incident I have always transcribed verbatim.

I do too, because clients sometimes "audit" reports ... - shadow

[ In Reply To ..]
because physicians make strange claims, like, "that's not what I said" or "they're changing what I'm dictating."

I once got "called on" leaving out, iirc, a few redundant "subsequently"'s in a report from a doctor who said the word at the beginning of every sentence.

My rule is -- if it's hard to explain why you do something (other than laziness), just don't. althoguh I certainly asked this same question when I was new and got crickets, and didn't change things for a while before I realized how unprofessional any excuse sounded.

Verbatim sucks even if it's "simpler" or "less work" it's very stressful to be typing bad English, particularly when you're also dealing with an ESL or even an English speaker whose English isn't that good -- Subject/verb agreement, verb tenses, and -- my most hated -- using peculiar prepositions.

Use of a standardized format actually makes the report easier to read and comprehend. I worked in-house with someone with "cre8ve formating" skilz ... looked unprofessional and busy ... our supervisor couldn't bring herself to be "the bad guy" and make her stop. Her reports looked juvenile.

If you're using speech recognition or will be using speech recognition, - gonesoon

[ In Reply To ..]
then you HAVE to do it verbatim and there has to be a standardized format, or the speech program won't "learn," and you end up with a bigger mess, which cuts down on productivity. Sad, but true, that is the way it is. We had that problem at the hospital I worked at.

Thank you all for your input. It is very helpful and very much appreciated! - NM...

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Dictator Says "obtain Records, Records, Records." Would You Type It 3 Times As Dictated?
Feb 18, 2010

Or would you simply type "obtain records..." ...

Dr. Dictates Gotten. Would You Type Gotten?
Mar 15, 2010

He has not gotten lost driving.   He has gotten a workup. ...

Dictates Wet-to-drys
Aug 02, 2010

it as wet-to-drys or simply wet-to-dry? In context:  that wet-to-drys would be the best way to go     ...

ESL Doc Dictates (too Funny):
Feb 01, 2014

VR:              "Patient went out drinking CYANIDE (and soon felt sick).  DICTATED:   "Patient went out drinking SATURDAY NIGHT (and soon felt sick).   VR:              "Patient has allergy to  P _  N I S." DICTATED:   "Patient has allergy to  P E A N U T S." ...

Sutures - Doc Dictates S/l 14-0 Ef A Lon Was Used For Closure
Nov 19, 2009

Morning all - looking for suture name/type.  Doc dictates s/l 14-0 ef a lon was used for closure.  Pt. had sharp dissection of nose lesion.  Thank you! ...

Need Opinions Please ... On IME The Physician Dictates .... (sm)
Aug 17, 2010

Most vena cava clips these days can be MRIed - MRId ........ Would it be ed behind MRI or just the d?  Both look very odd.   TIA ...

Dictates Drug List With DMT 5-MeO. Sm
Mar 06, 2011

methamphetamine, marijuana, ecstasy, mushrooms, PCP, DMT, 5-MeO, peyote, LSD, alcohol, and tobacco. (the commas are not dictated).  I am questioning the DMT, 5-MeO, because I find 5-MeO-DMT and one thing??  How to type?  ...

This Doc Always Dictates Under Vitals--can't Ever Make Out
Mar 24, 2012

It's a terrible s/l but really is best I can do with how fast she dictates. Always, always, indistinguishable and run together this way. Vital Signs:  Blood pressure 168/102, pulse 95. Respiratory rate is 16, oxygen saturation 100% on room air, *s/l "wushterpizhil"*, and temperature is 98.4. ...

Times
Feb 27, 2010

When they say 4-0 Nylon x 4 interrupted sutures, is it preferred to use "x" or "times"? ...

Does Anyone Know How Many Times You Are
May 12, 2010

allowed to use the F11 key?  Is it once a day or a certain percentage of your lines?  ...

2 By 4 Times 2.7 Times 3.3 Cm
Aug 07, 2012

Dictator says "There is a 2 by 4 times 2.7 times 3.3 cm solid mass..." What would be the correct way to transcribe this? 2 x 4 x 2.7 x 3.3 cm is incorrect. Thank you! ...

How Many Times
Dec 12, 2013

Do I have to change this????????????? ASR has 2 +distal pulses.  Should it be 2+ distal pulses?  You keep correcting and correcting and then it's back to the same errors. My Christmas wish---that the ASR gets BETTER.  Ha!  Never gonna happen.   ...

S/l Co Cup Used Several Times In Report PLEASE HELP
Jan 13, 2010

Dr. Dictates this about 8 times in the op report each time clear "co cup", ...

Woo! Good Times!
Jul 28, 2010

I just started a 22 minute consult from one of my ESL doctors and the next one in line is a 36 minute consult from a Chinese doctor.  He stutters and stops and starts and that 36 minutes will probably net me 100 lines or so.   Gotta love it! ...

Writing Times
May 08, 2012

Doctor dictated: Start time: 03/21/2012, 091446. What would be the correct way to write the time portion? ...

Anybody Know The Exact Times We Were Down
Jun 12, 2012

I didn't do a ticket, but I'm assuming we do get paid down time if it happened during our scheduled hours, as we have before.  ...

Are The Times A Changin'?
Jul 15, 2013

The recent ad onthe Job Wanted Board for Oncology scribes prompted me to check a couple of employment search sites.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were many ads for, not just "Scribes" but now for "Scribe/Medical Transcriptionist."  There are facilities looking for people they can hire directly to input in real time to their EMS.  There were several for Oncology and Emergency Medicine.  Have they finally seen the light??   MTSOs are trying to sell us ...

A Sign Of The Times...
Aug 02, 2013

Temp Opportunity for Pathology Transcriptionist Medical facility is moving towards a voice recognition system ultimately eliminating the need for transcription. This candidate would continue to work until the new system is in place and fully functional. Hours: Mon. – Fri. 8:30 – 5:00 Rate of Pay: $16 hour CANDIDATE MUST HAVE PATHOLOGY TRANSCRIPTION EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED ...

It Has Been Said Many Times On This Board
Dec 06, 2014

and I will say it again.  Get out of Nuance!  Stop being negative about this profession, describing it as obsolete and going to machines, etc.  It is that attitude that will push this profession into just that, for good!  I left in October.  I see others who have posteod here who have left even before that.  I found a wonderful small company to work for.  I cannot put their name here, as at this time they are not hiring, and they would be flooded with resumes, ...

How Many Times Have You Fallen Below
Mar 19, 2015

UGH -- I am feeling sick with myself -- it looks like it'll be 2 weeks in a row that I have "fallen off the grid" and had below 99% QA.  I do NOT want to lose my job.  I know Nuance has plenty of issues, but I still like my hours, my accounts, and have not had many problems.  When do you start getting reprimanded or whatever for being below 99%? ...

Does Anyone Know What The Times For Shift
Apr 15, 2015

changed some time back but I can't find the info in the employee handbook or anywhere? Anyone know? ...

Wonder How Many Times Any Company Has To Get A Ton Of
May 16, 2015

dislikes before they realize they need to change something.  SMH ...

TeamWork Question About Our Times
Oct 22, 2009

A few times already I noticed that Teamwork sometimes changes my times.  Today I clocked in at "9:06" and I diligently wrote down the time as I always do.  When I went to clock off, it said my clock-in time was "9:07."  I read somewhere that our times are rounded to the nearest minute but then why isn't it always done?  ...

Let Go Three Times And Called Back Again
May 04, 2010

Why does an employer, who let you go three times in three different type of work settings, yet call me back again to work for them? It is like they had a layoff a year ago with all this BS in mind. They have to know that I would hate to go back there with all this wishy-washy stuff; it is almost like they did it on purpose so that it would be a year and they could see if they could get something for nothing. I am having enough trouble trying to get out of this insane "career" without this type o ...

I Know It's Been Said Many Times Before And Beaten To Death..........but
Oct 03, 2010

But do they really think throwing us on multiple accounts constantly is going to help quality?  What IS their motivation for this?   It's just stupid.  I would be more than happy to learn, say, THREE, accounts like the back of my hand, but it is impossible to really keep 12 accounts straight, even if you make notes for yourself, refer to them, you are GOING to NOT get it right, not without accepting 3 bux an hour anyway.  It would just be SMARTER to figure out how ...

Pay Rate Not Keeping Up With The Times
Jan 20, 2011

I have been an MT since 1986. I would like to know why the MT industry does not raise pay rates for MTs to keep up with the rising cost of living? Are we expected to just work longer hours in order to raise our pay? I see job openings offering 7 cpl! This is ridiculous! I have never made more than 9.5 cpl.  We all know the companies are raising their contract rates for clients and making a killing, so why is our industry becoming such a slave-driving industry and what can we do about it? Ye ...

Wow ! Brutal Board At Times.
Oct 25, 2011

For those well-meaning posters who have brought to my attention that maybe it's me, not them, please listen to me. I am looking for answers.  I am not stupid.  I use shortcuts up the yingyang.  I work every single day on production tips for ASR.  I am not holding myself back.  I am working 2 additional jobs trying to get my foot in other doors to get out of here. I am not new to all of this.  Wish I really could know who you are, what account you work o ...

I Know This Has Been Posted A Million Times But . . .
Nov 16, 2012

It makes me feel better to vent on here. I'm so sick of QA. Now we are being marked off for blanks sent to QA. We were also told we could send the job to facility with 2 blanks. Now, I'm marked off for those. And, typing we will . . . instead of we have . . . I get that I got that wrong but is that one error worth a score of 98.2%. So, I guess I should be expecting a "corrective action" email from my TL. She said anybody below 99% would be receiving corrective action. Sigh . . . ...

Correct Placement Of X (for Times).
Jan 30, 2013

Should there be a space or no space between the x and the number? Is there a reference to this anywhere or just personal preference? Ex: p.o. x1 or p.o. x 1 ...

Noticed The Times Don't Add Up On Webclock
Jun 07, 2013

Okay, just wondering if anyone else has noticed the times don't add up on Webclock.  For example, I punched in today at 05:03 and punched out at 05:16 due to lack of work.  How does it figure I worked 22 minutes????  From 05:03 to 05:16 = 13 mins doesn't it.  ...