A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I AM ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED. - passing right on through

Posted: Feb 18, 2010

Just had a doctor dictate that he told a young woman not to tell her sexual partners that she is HIV positive unless somebody wants to seriously marry her.  He told her just to ask them to wear a condom.  If they wanted to know why a condom, he told her to tell them it was a good idea for everybody to use them with all the diseases that are out there now.  Maybe I'm wayyyyy tooooo old, but I couldn't believe that a doctor was giving a young woman this advice. 

that, I think is legally criminal (for the patient) - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and maybe for the doctor. Unfreakingbelievable.

I agree - luvzminis

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you. Maybe I'm wayyyy tooo old too, but is it not common sense to tell her it would be best to abstain? So sad some people have made sexuality such a god, and the word "abstinence" seems to be offensive to them. No wonder so many people are so messed up. Ridiculous, isn't it?

I saw something about a patient on antidepressants - who quit them because of the side effects

[ In Reply To ..]
the side effect in question being the one of anorgasmia. She cold-turkeyed off the drug so she could have her "fun," had the side effects of withdrawal from the drug, the guy only stuck around for a couple of weeks, then he took off, then she crashed, depression-wise, so she had to go back on the drug and work her way up to a therapeutic dose all over again, complete with side effects.... I hope it was worth it to her, for those few seconds of gratification....

Although, in fairness, I have to admit I am not sure what I would do if I were faced with such a conundrum. Having people who suffer from depression among my close circle of family and friends, and hearing them talk about what it's like to be depressed, I think the consensus in that group at least would be that being depressed is FAR worse than just about anything else, and they'd rather be not depressed, even at the cost of the many side effects, including weight gain and oh, lack of interest in "the bedroom."

depression and drugs for it that do not help killed - a friend of mine at 21 years of age.

[ In Reply To ..]
now THAT's depressing. We miss her.

if you believe that antidepressants help in any way, you are mistaken - no

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Oh, really? They work for ME. - Blanket statements like yours are counterproductiv
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes, really! You should update your knowledge.... - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
"The Proven Dangers of Antidepressants
by Peter R. Breggin, M.D.

On March 22 the FDA issued an extraordinary âPublic Health Advisoryâ that
cautioned about the risks associated with the whole new generation of antidepressants
including Prozac and its knock offs, Zoloft, Paxil, Luvox, Celexa, and Lexapro, as well as
Wellbutrin, Effexor, Serzone, and Remeron. The warning followed a public hearing
where dozens of family members and victims testified about suicide and violence
committed by individuals taking these medications.
While stopping short of concluding the antidepressants definitely cause suicide,
the FDA warned that they might do so in a small percentage of children and adults. In
the debate over drug-induced suicide, little attention has been given to the FDAâs
additional warning that certain behaviors are âknown to be associated with these drugs,â
including âanxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity,
akathisia (severe restlessness), hypomania, and mania.â
From agitation and hostility to impulsivity and mania, the FDAâs litany of
antidepressant-induced behaviors is identical to that of PCP, methamphetamine and
cocaineâdrugs known to cause aggression and violence. These older stimulants and
most of the newer antidepressants cause similar effects as a result of their impact on a
neurotransmitter in the brain called serotonin.
For more than a decade, I have documented in books and scientific reports how
this stimulation or activation profile can lead to out-of-control behavior, including violence. Indeed,.........and so on....!

You can read the whole article...
All substances have associated risks. - Even too much water is dangerous
[ In Reply To ..]
Just read the list of possible side effects for ANY medication out there. Scary stuff. But that doesn't mean it's likely to happen to any given patient.

Lexapro is a miracle drug as far as I am concerned. It pulled me out of a very, very deep black hole, and I don't EVER want to go back there, so I continue to take it, in a very small dose, and I'm fine. I am one of the lucky ones who has experienced NO side effects whatsoever, and if it were not for this drug, I might not be a functional member of society.
So why take them? Then take more pills for their - side effects - bad idea
[ In Reply To ..]
Its a merry-go-round, your doc prescribes a pill with questionable results and a zillion proven side effects, it takes a long time for a "cumulative effect to have any results" (might as well be a placebo for the first 3 months you take it), so you get plenty of side effects with no other results. Doc prescribes more pills to counteract the side effects. Soon you're carrying around a suitcase of pharamaceuticals and spending really big bucks on them - who benefits? Not you, and not your overall health. I for one am sick of the ads that push pills for depression or sleep with side effects that even include death! What are we thinking? Its NORMAL to be depressed in the messed up world we live in. Numbing our emotions to avoid bad times also numbs the happy times. There's nothing wrong with our brains - its the horrible times we live in that make us sad. I'm not becoming a pharmaceutical zombie to make living more bearable - that's exactly what big business wants us to do - a drugged population is an easy to control population.
I could not have said it better, I totally agree! Less is more! - omg
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
what pulled you out was not the effect of this med, it - omg
[ In Reply To ..]
was the "feeling of hope" that this med will bring you out of your depression.
You had HOPE again, it was hope that rescued you.

I assume you are still on your antidepressant?
If yes, you are hooked on it, because if you let go of it, your HOPE, you fall right into your depression again, unless this period of hope motivated you to find peace of mind and you can manage without it.

Antidepressants only MASK the problem for your depression, they do not cure it. You have to fight through your depression on your own, without the help of meds, only this will free you.

Never start on an antidepressant, it's very dangerous, difficult to get rid of it and mostly a money-making business.
You obviously don't believe everything you read, only what you want to. - deb
[ In Reply To ..]
All those "side effects" of the drugs aren't side effects at all. They are conditions already present, and the drug is (hopefully) going to help, but of course there's no guarantee that ANY medication will help EVERY PERSON who uses it. How can you read one article and believe everything in it, when there are articles that are totally to the contrary, and you just disregard them?
the pro-articles are written by the money-making companies - omg
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
May cause groggyness, suicidal thoughts, liver damage - not conditions already present!
[ In Reply To ..]
How in the world can you make the statement that drug side effects don't exist but are conditions already present? Are you a pharmaceutical CEO or what?

Weight gain, bloating, itching, constipation, diarrhea...all that was there already huh? How about your inability to operate machinery and sleepwalking...always there huh? Seems to me if a person had ALL those side effects already present, the last thing they'd be doing would be looking for antidepressants and/or sleeping pils - they'd too busy dealing with/seeking treatment for all their other medical issues to notice they were depressed!

You can't tell me that if you take a new drug and suddenly get an itchy rash and have trouble breathing you're gonna say "oh, I've ALWAYS had that problem" instead of contacting the doctor IMMEDIATELY as ADVISED, who will take you off that med STAT!

You're going to do yourself some permanent damage if you ignore dangerous symptoms when you start a new med and defend the med at the expense of your body that is TELLING you taking it is WRONG!
Another article for you.......I hope they continue to work for you! - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
A Documentary â Making A Killing â The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging
November 12, 2008 â Your Friend
Making a Killing DVD

âPsychotropic drugs. Itâs the story of big moneyâdrugs that fuel a $330
billion psychiatric industry, without a single cure. The cost in human
terms is even greaterâthese drugs now kill an estimated 42,000 people
every year. And the death count keeps rising. Containing more than
175 interviews with lawyers, mental health experts, the families of victims
and the survivors themselves, this riveting documentary rips the mask
off psychotropic drugging and exposes a brutal but well-entrenched
money-making machine.â

The facts are hard to believe, but fatal to ignore.

Big Pharma is making a killing by pushing their psychotropic drugs down millions of individualâs throats from antidepressants to antipsychotics to psychostimulants for ADHD. Letâs not forget those hypnotic sleeping pills, too.

What mental illness do you have this week? Not doing your homework? Agitated because you quit smoking? Or perhaps you just are a teenager and you feel that everyone else is better looking than you. You name it they have a diagnosis waiting for you and a matching pill in just the right color.

Spread this article to everyone you know so that everyone gets the raw truth in the DVD, âA Documentary â Making A Killing â The Untold Story of Psychotropic Druggingâ which is presented by the Citizens Commission on Human Rights.
Are you a Scientologist? - JibberJabber
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I was prescribed a psychotropic for severe menstrual cramps - that article speaks truth
[ In Reply To ..]
The drug they gave me did nada for the pain, just made me so stoned I barely noticed it. I felt like I was in a strange dream every time I took it. I thought it was a peculiar solution for pain, and definitely didn't enjoy trying to drive, work and have serious conversations while I was halfway on another planet! I asked for a painkiller and received a BRAIN killer!
I hate drugs that work on the CNS and brain.. - see inside
[ In Reply To ..]
What are psychotropic drugs?

Quote from Wiki:

"An assortment of psychoactive drugs. A psychoactive drug, psychopharmaceutical or psychotropic is a chemical substance that acts primarily upon the central nervous system where it alters brain function, resulting in changes in perception, mood, consciousness and behavior."

It is said that Adolf Hitler was constantly under the influence of those drugs, and that these caused his behavior and decisions. His doctors prescribed him a lot of painkillers.
No, I am not, but I heard them often mentioned. - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I know that Tom Cruise is a member.

After you asked me this question, I researched closer about them and I have to say that I agree with some of their beliefs, esp. regarding the damaging effect of meds on body and mind, and the controversy regarding the often devastating methods of psychiatry (e.g. lobotomy, et...) and drugs that work on the brain and change the person's personality and memory and what one essentially WAS in the past, leading to a double personality.
In extreme cases these meds kill all the memory of one's former life.

No, thanks, I would rather struggle on my own until I find peace of mind and have closure.
Are you really that gullible? - see inside
[ In Reply To ..]
On Google:

"What mental illness do you have this week? Not doing your homework? Agitated because you quit smoking? Or perhaps you just are a teenager and you feel that everyone else is better looking than you. You name it they have a diagnosis waiting for you and a matching pill in just the right color."

That is a nightmare - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel sorry for the ones she is intimate with - because at this point if she does not have common sense she will probably not even use a condom. Wow !!!!

I don't know about all states, but in - North Carolina, it is

[ In Reply To ..]
against the law to have sex with someone if you are HIV positive and you don't disclose it to them.

If you infect them and didn't tell them, you can be sued and/or worse.

Unbelievable that he would say that to her!

bad enough - oh wow

[ In Reply To ..]
to say it to the patient but STUPID to record it for all posterity!!

Absolutely flabbergasted - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
If she sleeps with some guy/girl and gives them AIDS, she could be charged with murder--at least in the State of California.

Don't think people are legally obliged to - announce their HIV status

[ In Reply To ..]
He might have sensed (or known) that she had no intention of telling her partners and was trying to suggest an alternative strategy that would still accomplish the objective of protecting these partners.

We forget that we don't know everything about all of the circumstances underlying the things that we hear in our earphones. As such, we shouldn't be so quick to judge them...or judge them at all, for that matter.

The thing is, he also told her she shouldn't - passing right on through

[ In Reply To ..]
reveal her HIV/AIDS status unless she had a serious marriage proposal and the wedding wasn't too far away. I don't much think his strategy was to protect her partners. If that were the case, I think he would have told her to be honest with them before having any kind of sexual contact.

You should turn him in - Anonymous Snitch

[ In Reply To ..]
It is encouraged if you have information on a crime, and apparently this is a crime, so you should place a secret call to the proper authorities. You are part of the knowing now. Keeping quiet is akin to cahoot-ness.

terribly wrong advice, HIV virus also transmitted through blood - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Absolutely No Idea...HELP!
Oct 19, 2009

He had an abdominal ultrasound, which showed reverse lerndalytes and left guaddle veins. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...

If You Absolutely Had To Choose ..help! ..sm
Jul 18, 2012

I've been looking for weeks.  The hospital I've been IC with for years is getting rid of all ICs - going totally VR and keeping only their existing employees.  I've tried to be very selective, looking for that great little company somewhere that would treat me with a little respect and value my years of experience.  Well, now I'm to the point that I need to start bringing in a paycheck ASAP.  I've been offered both M-Modal and Nuance - which were my v ...

Is TransTech Absolutely
Jan 25, 2013

I see they are advertising again.  I told them I'd take their test if they would tell me their line rate which they were nice enough to do (the lousy industry "standard"  8/4).  Worse than what I make now, so I had to pass, as I am trying to escape this crap job altogether.  Can anyone give me a  reason why I might try to get on with them if I were to change my mind? Thanks.      ...

I Absolutely Refuse
May 09, 2015

I absolutely Refuse to do any more VR for less than what straight typing pays. Find another Sucker to fix your jacked up reports. This is not worth my time, I am an Educated Professional.  Do not take advantage of me, I will Not sell myself short! Note to transcription companies:  Speech recognition is Not ready for medical or legal reports. It is more suited for personal or small business use at this point. Continue to push this VR crap and you will lose the good scribes.  Wha ...

Some Employers Are Absolutely Hateful!
Dec 22, 2011

It was not bad enough for them to let me go without any kind of notice, but now they will not tell DHS how long I worked for them so I can get food stamps!!  Thanks DSG!!! ...

Absolutely Ridiculous!! I Just Got Chewed Out By QA
May 07, 2012

for putting potassium was 216.  She said patient safety is an issue here.  I said ok.  I mean with the crap pay I get, they cannot expect me to memorize normal values in anything!!  That is what QA is for, for one thing.  For another, if that is what the dr said or even what it sounded like, that is on HIS shoulders!!  What a crappy job to have!! ...

Okay, Now I Am 6 Hours Into My Shift With Absolutely Nothing (sm)
Jan 30, 2013

and now I'm wondering if they threw me a bone yesterday just to leave me to starve today.  I have been checking every 10 to 15 minutes in between doing things around the house.  Thanks MM, since I had no work, I did get a chance to have lunch with my son who only had a half day of school today!  ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

So Torn That I'm Absolutely A Wreck! Need Advice Please.
May 19, 2012

I've been reading these boards for years, and have never posted. But I'm desperate for some advice. I have worked for years at a very small company as an IC and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, life events threw me a curve and I was forced to find an employee-status job. I thought I landed THE best opportunity. I have been with Accentus for a few months and absolutely hate it. I WANT soooooooo badly to like it and make it work, as I do believe it is one of the better companies out ...

I Leave MModal With Absolutely No Regrets!
Apr 05, 2013

I didn't get let go, fired, or whatever they spin it to be.  On Monday, I got a phone call from a place I was trying to get hired on with.  They had an opening, asked me if I was interested in doing transcribing.  I told them, not really.  But, after she told me that they have brought all transcription back in house, I had to come to the interview, if not for any other reason than that, curiousity.  It seems they tried "everyone" out there in terms of tran ...

Absolutely These Posts Are Monitored, But Who Cares?
Jun 02, 2013

"They" would be foolish not to read these posts.  What a great way to see what their employees are truly feeling...not that that changes anything or that they care.  As to the people who always jump on the people who "complain" (I call it venting), they are just arrogant, aggressive types who love to argue.  The one way below who was outraged that someone can't believe someone would be happy with their job, to her I say, good for you.  You're happy?  Well, you ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Started New VR Job Today On Escription & ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT
Nov 15, 2010

I am so excited!  I started a new job today and I absolutely love my account and editing VR on this platform.  I made pretty good lines in just a couple hours using none of the VR key combinations because I haven't started utilizing them yet (figure it will take time to learn them) but I don't think avg. 300 lph is too bad on first day huh?  I was worried and now I can't imagine going back to transcribing, seriously.  I hope tomorrow and each day after is as go ...

I Absolutely Hate The New Group I Was Recently Transferred To.
Dec 30, 2013

I was transferred only about about a month ago (stolen according to my last TSM). This is a new account. Every single week it is something. I was moved to this group " because I had no production problems and no quality problems" according to my previous TSM. Thus far, I have failed 1 audit by 0.15 points, followed by passing an audit, and I have had, according to the email subject, targeted audits 3 out of 4 weeks. I got an email stating I had failed my targeted audit (1 error - date), and ...

Social Security. HaHa! Tried To Apply-absolutely Frustrated
Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show les ...

He Has Marked Tightness Of His Lumbar Area On Forward Flexion. He Remains Absolutely Flat.
Mar 02, 2012

not sure if its all correct in this format or if there should be a period after the word area and then "on forward flexion he remains absolutely flat." Tia. ...