A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I'm considering factory work... - iamnew

Posted: Jan 27, 2012

I'm looking to get out of MT and am considering factory work. At least I'd get to be around people. Has anyone else here done it before? If so, what was your experience?

I used to - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in a couple of factories in the past in my college years.

In some respects the work is the same as MT in that it is focused on production and repetitive. If you are working on the line you are doing the same thing most of the time, but you do usually get to switch between stations and do different jobs throughout the day. I worked at a box factory and made boxes and other packaging items--like gluing pieces of styrofoam to carboard. It wan't really that bad. I also worked at a wine company and packaged bottles (imagine bottles full of wine speeding down a conveyor belt and you are there to pick them as fast as you can and put them into box after box), put the paper bottle caps on the bottles as they sped by on the conveyor, inspected labels, etc.

If it weren't for my kids, I would definitely get out of MT right away. Factory work isn't that bad. It might be just the change you need right now, but only you can decide for sure. The one thing that is a bonus with factory work is that you usually get freebies of whatever your factory produces. When I worked at the winery they gave out free wine every month, but I was under age so I didn't get any :(

Not many factories left in the U.S... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Now that we are a "service" economy (thanks, Clinton!) and America doesn't make much anymore, most of the manufacturing jobs have gone overseas so those jobs are few and far between. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from pursuing it -- if you can get on at one, then great! -- but I'm just saying that there aren't many of those jobs left. The few factories where I live hire illegal aliens, which of course makes the wages a mere pittance.

Good luck to you! Almost anything would be better than MT; at least you would have work, and you would be learning some new skills.

According to the census bureau - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Manufacturing was looking pretty good in 2002, so whatever happened in that sector did not happen under his watch.  Evidently, the hit it took came later, but I hear manufacturing jobs are on the rebound, and that the numbers of jobs added in 2011 are the best they have been since 2005.  Thanks, Obama!

Source of dt:

http://www.census.gov/econ/census02/data/us/US000.HTM

File:Sectors of US economy - firms with payrolls - sales vs employees in 2002.gif

Excellent graph - thank you--nm
[ In Reply To ..]

I worked in a factory for a little over a year, loved it, 7 to 3 hours and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
was done when 3 p.m. rolled around. I had no weekend work as the factory was closed on the weekends. That was over 20 years ago. They had 3 shifts. I enjoyed being able to leave my work behind when I drove away. I also didn't have some up my butt all day telling me they thought I was doing this wrong or that wrong. We did occasionally work overtime if asked and we were paid time and a half for it.

I'd do it if I could - Wish I could

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband works in a factory and makes in one hour what I make in a week. I make decent money too!

If I could get in there I would in a heartbeat. 8 hour days, no weekends, holidays off, bennies and perks.

What kind of factory? - Sigh

[ In Reply To ..]
The proximity of my area to the US-Mexico border means SLAVE wages. The only "non-slave" factory jobs here are management positions that require a degree and/or prior experience PLUS you have to be bilingual!

So what type of factory does your husband work in?

factory work - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I did factory work for 6 years before becoming an MT, I did not like it because I thought the work was very boring and I don't like supervisors breathing down my neck all day, but I did like being around people and getting off at the same time every day and a guaranteed paycheck, which i have not had with MT, which is why I'm getting out of MT also, good luck to you!

factory work - embolicetiology

[ In Reply To ..]
can you find a near hospital with need for an MT? waitress whilst searching? i'd think factory work would eventually pan out to even worse than the situation with MTing & being indoors. or, perhaps furthering and going into billing/coding for a hospital or clinic? more demand, i hear...

Factory work - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess it depends on the factory, but I worked in a textile factory in upstate NY in the late 80s and early 90s and I loved my job. We made lace there and I worked all 3 shifts at one time or another. My co-workers were great and we had fun. Good luck finding a factory job though...there are not very many left and depending on where you live.

Me too! - Dallas

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked administrative type work until becoming an MT nine years ago and a factory is about to open up not far from me and I'm seriously going to apply. I'm so sick of this work.

Good luck! nm - iamnew

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
Sep 26, 2012

I watched a documentary on this fire the other night and mentioned to my SO how it reminded me of being an MT for Nuance.  It seems like sooner or later something very bad is going to happen.  I know it's reaching, but think of the similarities; they were all women, they worked long hours, weekends, made crappy pay and were skilled at what they do, and yet... "Although the floor had a number of exits, including two freight elevators, a fire escape, and stairways down to Greene St ...