A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How long would you give us? - s/msg

Posted: Jan 15, 2014

The situation:  one of the last on site jobs left, for a medical franchise,  great hourly pay and bennies.  platform not so great, but dictators mostly very good.  Company switched over to a decent speech rec. program, doctors catching on pretty fast, now many doing their own editing, though not all of them yet.  but now we are running out of work, and although we still get paid by the hour, we mostly just sit around with nothing to do.  today i got about one or two reports per hour.  we all are pretty sure we'll be let go.  For those of you that this has already happened to, how long did it take between the time the speech rec. was doing a pretty good job, and you all got fired?  Some people think we still have a few weeks to months.  others think it could happen tomorrow.  who's right?  What were your experiences?

How long would you give us - lmv

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry to hear about your situation because it's very scary when work is hardly anything at all and you are just waiting for the day they tell you they don't need you anymore due to lack of work. I worked in the same clinic in the same department for over 10 and once speech recognition went live with the physician's it wasn't even 2 months before I was let go. We knew it was coming but I really thought after having over 10 years in that I might be ok, I wasn't. If I were you I would start thinking about what your next move is going to be and be prepared because I sure wasn't and it was so hard. I hope the best for you though.

You had better start making a backup plan NOW. - It will happen, you can take that to the bank. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
It's happened so many times at other places just the way you describe.

It's going to happen in about a year where I am, but most of the people are still blindly sailing the River Denial. I'm lucky, I figured it out early, about a year and a half ago, and the manager finally started to admit about this past summer that something's going on. "We'd tell you if we knew something..." or "it has to be cleared through HR..."

Bull-sh. They've known this for a couple years now, the complete plan's been in the works for a while to get rid of the department.

You need to start looking for something and figuring out what to do. It's going to be a very difficult transition from A Job to nothing, and it could happen tomorrow.

So many people vacationing along the River Denial, and their vacation is going to come to a very rude and abrupt ending, but by then it's too late.

Don't keep hoping that "maybe it will be okay, maybe I won't be let go..."

Good advice for all of us - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
This is good advice for all of us, even those whose situation is not exactly the same. For instance, I started working at a company just about a month ago. I was told that this is a huge account and that I'll never run out of work. However, even in the early days of the account, I am constantly running out of work. But here's the thing that really bothers me--

Right now, the account is all straight typing. Soon, it will go to VR. Then, the work will dwindle even more. I believe there's a chance that the huge group of MTs hired to get the account going will be thinned out when this transition occurs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we were all terminated and the account sent to India, as this company does have an Indian team. I have not been happy with the way that I've been treated at this new job, with very little specific account instruction and very little feedback. It gives me the impression that they consider me to be temporary, even though my work is high quality. While I'd like to believe that I'm just being paranoid, I've experienced this type of intuitive feeling before, when accounts were getting ready to go elsewhere, and it turned out that I was just being used and then was discarded like an old piece of equipment once the need no longer existed. My persistent denial ended up hurting me in the end.

So, I am thinking of my current job in MT as a temporary position and am working on my exit plan.
My exit plan is to avoid the medical field altogether. - Medicine has become a scam industry.
[ In Reply To ..]
AGREE! - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
I think your observation is 100% correct. In my former life, I was an RN, and things have certainly changed in that career path... I can actually remember when doctors called the shots and decided what treatment you received. The insurance companies didn't decide this, although there were definitely some pros and cons with insurance and they did try to get out of paying whenever possible. There just weren't as many insurance companies back then, certainly no HMOs and PPOs. I'm going back about 40 years..

However, I'm afraid that scams are in many industries now, and companies seem to only want to use us. Do any of them actually care about us? Well, there may be situations where your direct boss might actually care about you, (or absolutely hate you and make life miserable for you...). There might be some good jobs that I just haven't found yet...I'm drawn toward having an online business, but customers can be quite a challenge, and you are at their mercy..

how long? - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
not long. was let go very recently from a job i had been doing for right at 20 years. the seller of the medical records program which was sold to my boss was not very candid about what the machine did or maybe he just did not look into it thoroughly enough. they are sorry this happened but apparently can't or won't do anything about it. get ready to do something else if you possibly can. i was on sick leave for back problems and resultant surgery. when i told the office manager that i was ready to come back, i was told the job was gone. she had hinted at this a little early but i did not pick up on that.

How long? It is already over. - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't a question of how long you have left. If you are geting only 2 reports an hour, it is already over. Management needs to keep you on board long enough to do the work during the transition, but that transition happens fast.

You should have found another job already. You should have been retrained by now.

I don't mean another job in MT, either.

If your employer has not already made plans to place you in a different job, they have no intention of doing so. You will need to find one on your own. Start with jobs at your facility, then look at others.

If they have not discussed plans with you, they don't have any, so do not expect to get a nice severance package or placement assistance.

A word of warning ... do not wait, holding out until the end. Once you are unemployed, finding a job is much more difficult. You have to BE employed to get a job. Employers do not want those who were laid off. Studies are showing that they don't want those who are collecting unemployment, either. I suggest taking the first job you can get just so you have one.

You should have been retraining by now. You should have started that two years ago. Don't wait on that, either. Start NOW.

You must have - A sweet clinic account

[ In Reply To ..]
If the speech wreck is doing well with the dictators, you must be doing clinic work. Back in the day, I would have recommended you get trained for acute care, but this isn't back in the day, so you have to get out of MT, in my opinion.

If you do choose to stay, get yourself acute care training at a really good school, because all you will get is crap work if you go to an MTSO. Be warned: You would not make an hourly rate and the pay would be really, really crud.

Red flag - ts

[ In Reply To ..]
My advice is find something NOW. I just lost my job 2 weeks ago. It started just like you have described. One day I had work, the next it tapered down to here and there, and now GONE. No work. This happened overnight. Companies won't clue you in, but the signs are there. I stayed in my job because it was my first job and became easy as pie. My advice to you is take this as a big red flag. Seek out work elsewhere whether it be MT or something else. It happens in the blink of an eye and companies won't tell you because they use you while they can not caring if you can make ends meet or not. I never learned acute care along the way, turned down jobs outside the home along the way, stayed with 1 business, and now...No job. I'm looking daily for any job. Don't end up not being able to "live" or meet daily bills holding out for things to get better. Do what you can to cut back on expenses now while you look for other jobs. I hate to see you end up like me without a job. I do have help since my husband works, but I'm a provider for my family with kids. Best of luck to you.

red flag - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
you are so right, yes the ship is sinking and like the titanic passengers there are not enough life boats. if i wasn't past 70 and able to draw social security.... at least it is there for now.

My experience - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I am surprised that they let you sit around with nothing to do and that you are not being asked to use your PTO or flex. VR has not worked very well for my providers but it is getting better. For my department, outsourcing was our downfall. It started gradually, then we had a fully functional EMR and they just kept outsourcing more and more until the MT department finally closed. We had plenty of advance warning from administration (at least a year) that change was coming. As the work dwindled, they helped place us elsewhere within the organization and had projects for us to do when there was no transcription work. We now have 2 QA editors but everyone else is gone. If you are sitting around with nothing to do, I would not expect that to last very long. My advice is not to sit around and wait for the other shoe to drop. Try and find something within your organization so you can keep your benefits. Ask your manager if there is something you can do to make yourself useful during the lull, that may speak volumes in regard to wanting to keep your job when the layoffs start.

severance package - my experience

[ In Reply To ..]
When the hospital where I worked in-house sold out to Nuance, they offered the MTs a "severance package" that consisted of $1000.00 if the MTs signed a form that said they would not attempt to collect unemployment. That was about 4 years ago, though. It's probably not the norm.

s/m - EmTee

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember around December 1999 when I was told the transcription department where I formerly worked was going to be outsourced that if any MT wanted to stay until the department's closure, we would get a severance/bonus of $1500. However, with that, we had to have perfect attendance and could not miss a day from the time we were told about the closure until April 2000. I agreed to stay on, didn't miss a day, and I did receive my $1500 severance.

get a backup plan but wait till they let you go - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked for 2 hospitals that outsourced, saw the handwriting on the wall and left both before I got let go, BUT both hospitals gave 1000 a year severance for every year you had worked for them plus paid medical care for 1 year. The last one I lost out on $8000 cash plus who knows what the medical would have been worth!

I mean this in the kindest way, but why didn't you do anything until now? nm - 1159MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

One word: UNEMPLOYMENT. - I earned it. I want it.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

UE - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
You do realize that UE only pays about a third of what you currently make and only lasts for a few weeks? Also, most states expect you to do a weekly job search and have 3 contacts a week, which means actively applying or interviewing or involved in a worker retraining program. I agree with the other person - it is much easier to get another job when you already have one.
You're right about getting a job while you already - have one, which is why I likely wont get one.
[ In Reply To ..]
PS: I was right. We did get let go today.
That attitude will hold you back - more than anything else.
[ In Reply To ..]
The defeatist, fatalistic attitude that you "won't get one" for whatever reason will hold you back more than anything else.

If you have just been laid off, it is normal to be upset, but you have to overcome that and take steps to brighten your outlook and improve your prospects.

Similar Messages:

How Long Do They Give Newbies
Jan 15, 2015

I hear about the threats of being fired if you don't make enough for minimum wage.  How long do they give newbies to get up to speed/accuracy?  I *really* don't want to get fired.......  I've been here less than 2 weeks.  If it was straight typing, I'd be at the 100 lph - however with the converted line count and the fact that I am not as fast at editing, my average converted line count is only about 81 clph.  I hope they'll at least give me a fe ...

How Long Do You Give A New Company To Actually Put You To Work?
Oct 20, 2010

Hired by new co. only to discover they have no work!!!!!!!  It's been 2 weeks now.  They advertised about needing a lot of new MTs within the past couple months, but I rarely hear from them.  I was put on one account since that has had no work.  Now what?  Why did they bother to hire me?  I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat? ...

How Long Would You Give An MTSO Before You Sue For Nonpayment? Sm
Apr 30, 2013

I am still owed for work done in March. She says she cannot give a definite time as to when this money will be paid to us (I am not the only one she owes). As my bank account grows smaller, so does my level of patience. ...

I Give Up!
May 04, 2010

I absolutely cannot even understand this part of the dictation to even try to break it up into something valid. It's under the physical examination, HEENT. "Pupils equal, round, and reactive to light and accommodation.  Extraocular muscles were intact. (s/l ophthalmolotin powasting)."  She goes into cardiac after this and clearly dictates that heading. ...

OK, I Give Up...
Feb 07, 2012

I thought I'd looked everywhere but obviously not.  Where are the links to external resources, sister MT sites, etc?  I'm sure I'll really feel stupid when you tell me. ...

Something Has To Give Here
Jun 20, 2012

ASR was doing better a little while back now it is way screwed up again...Which means they hired people that dont know what they are doing..They need to make it about a year or so on new hires before they go through the filter and screw it up..And you would think at the very least there would be a filter to keep misspelled words from printing out,,,Just my opinion ...

Ok, I Give Up!!!
May 25, 2013

is it just me or is there someone else out there thinking that ASR has gone completely nuts!  My usual 240 lph is down to about 160 lph with all the editing I have had to do tonight on my normally clearly-speaking dictators, i.e., Dictated:   MRSA bacteremia    ASR:  Cataracts Dictated:  ESRD, on                ASR: Anterior, a If it didn't require so much editing it could ...

DON'T GIVE UP
Oct 19, 2014

I just want to let everybody know there are other fields where we can put our skills to use. I responded to an ad asking for a transcriptionist and thinking it was medical I sent my resume of 20+ years MT and got hired . It turns out its a legal transcriptionist for workers comp lawyers. Right now I do 4 hours a day as they need me (as there is another transcriptionist there) and am making a lot more than medical transcriptionist. I'm hoping at some point they may offer full-time so I&# ...

I Give Up. No More OT For Me.
Jun 12, 2015

I've had it.  Today will be the first time I'm not going to be compliant with the "mandatory" OT.  I just can't anymore.  They mandate, then they run out and cancel the mandate.  They give a few days without mandate and then we're back on mandate.  I work a specific schedule for a reason.  I do NOT appreciate being jerked around.  Whether it's illegal or not, it is WHOLLY UNETHICAL.  I'm not an on-demand worker.  This 8-h ...

Should I Give Up 1 Job? Need Feedback. Sm
Dec 13, 2009

I work part time for 2 companies.  One company usually has plenty of work.  I love the work and the people and they are very flexible.  I can usually get full time lines.  The other company usually has no work and I really despise the work and the QA.  I'm tired of the constant frantic emails stating how there is so much work only to go on and find there are less then 10 jobs.  This company now wants us to be employees.  I don't want to be t ...

DONT GIVE UP
Feb 01, 2010

This board is sometimes so disheartening.  All of you new MTs, we are graduating from reputable schools, we are getting jobs and it is no different from any other occupation.  Times change, rules change, technology changes, but if we are not set in our ways and our not willing to grow, things will disappear.  We always blame everyone else, but maybe its time to look at the opportunities that do exist and concentrate on where we do want to be in 5 years or 10 years.  Peop ...

Does Anyone Know If There Is Someone To Give Feedback On FTR
Apr 13, 2010

I would like to give my feedback, a lot of hype for a BIG let down.  Swapboard a BUST.  OLD report lookup, andother BUST.  They need a HUGE anonymous suggestion box. ...

Please Give Us A Break..........
Jul 15, 2010

How many Medical Transcriptionist right now feel like they are being discriminated against because of your lack of experience?  Why are Medical Transcription companies only looking to hire experienced Medical Transcriptionist in a certain field?   Don't they realize the resources that are out there now, that can give someone the opportunity to grow in this field.  Right now there are so many people out of work and struggling to get a job and have little to no ...

Leave. Give It Up.
Jun 01, 2011

After working for more than 30 years as a medical transcriptionist, having gone through so many changes in the field, I left it all behind a year ago.  I worked the last ten years at home, the last few I was with MDI/Transcend.  MDI was a great company, but it all fell apart when Transcend took over.  Hope DF is sleeping well on her $16 million, I know many transcriptionists are not.  I saw my pay dwindle down to almost nothing and my TL cherry-picking, which really cut my in ...

Can Someone Give Any Info On DSG?
Oct 13, 2011

Can someone give any info on DSG?  Right now, I only care about if there's ASR in a big way, or now/low work in a big way.  Last ditch effort to stay in the business.  Thanks! ...

Ok....give It To Me STRAIGHT!
Dec 07, 2011

I have been considering going to Andrews to become an MT for and I have never done it because I get on these boards and get scared to death! I have worked in the Medical field for 13 years (as a clinical tech and surgery....included in that is some limited transcription and scribing). I now stay home with my kids. I have one in school and the other in pre-school. I would love to be an MT because I love the medical field and I would love something I can do from home. I do not expect to get rich. ...

Can Someone Give Me A Little Info On The
Apr 27, 2012

Mmodal platform?  I googled screen shots because I want to see what it looks like, but could not get anything. ...

Do You Think It Is Necessary To Give 2 Weeks?
May 30, 2012

Do you think it is necessary to give 2 weeks notice if I am ALWAYS out of work. For example I should be done with my 8 hour shift in an hour and I am not even half way through the day due to being out of work on my primary and ALL of my back ups. I just do not see the point in it. What do you guys think? Thanks and I hope everyone has a great day!! :) ...

Bah!! Give Me An ESL With An Accent ANY DAY Over
Aug 12, 2012

I Give Up. Has Anyone Filed For UE
Mar 12, 2013

My TSM is RW. Just WONDERING if anyone else in her region has filed? TIA ...

Don't Give Up - There's Hope!
May 24, 2013

I have a small medical transcription service. For years, all of my clients were physicians. With the implementation of the EHR, my business took a nose dive, but I’m now (thankfully and gratefully) beginning to build my client base up again which consists of non-medical clients. How many others have made a successful change like this in their once-only-medical-transcription service? ...

Can Someone Give Me Instructions
Jul 21, 2013

Mini rant:  Like what, they're worried some unauthorized person will sneak onto your computer and do a few reports?     Anyway have tried going into  the Fluency utilities, logging off Fluency and changing it, no luck.  Have tried cut and paste URL for Fluency without logging in and no luck.  Just asking because I don't especially want to spend an hour with Kumar/Phil at tech support if I can avoid it.  Thanks.   ...

How Much Notice To Give?
Oct 22, 2013

When one gives a notice to terminate employment, does Nuance immediately remove your login for eScripton and Webclock or let you work until your last day? TIA ...

Can Someone Give Me A Hint How To Get Into
Nov 16, 2013

Have the link just misplaced my user name and password somewhere..and really dont want to talk to Phil in India this morning ...

Don't Give Up On Finding A New Job
Dec 30, 2013

I have been transcribing for 31 years. Hospital laid us off in 2008, went with our contract provider, then Nuance took over her employees. I have been looking for a job for over a year and finally found one. Starting on Jan. 6, I will be working for a local pathology office doing minimum transcription as well as other things, meaning no more sitting all day long looking at a dumb computer. It is 8-5 M-F. They are starting me out at $13.50 an hr. The only problem I have is Nuance wants me to give ...

And When You Give Feedback
Jan 17, 2014

not be so darned condescending..If I forgot something that was in the CP, it is simply because I have a zillion accounts and I just missed it..99.9% of the time I don't...Would just rather have you say, hey you missed so and so in the CP, don't quote the CP and then lecture me..Seriously I do this for a living. I am not perfect but I darn sure try... ...

Can Someone Give Me An Idea How To Get Into
Sep 02, 2014

too many different sign ins and passwords, completely forgot how to get in ...

Im About To Give Up And I'm Ashamed.....
Dec 20, 2014

You know I am really really starting to lose my confidence in myself.  I have been doing this for so long now and yet it seems that it gets harder and harder just to make a decent living.  I dont really blame anyone...hell I could blame the president, the economy, the past companies Ive worked for, but somewhere along the line I lost that fire and I dont know why.  Obviously Im like a lot of you here, Im tired of the changes.  I was raised in the deep south by my grandmother ...

Can Someone Please Give Me The Link To Get Into
Apr 04, 2015

nm ...

How Much Notice Did You Give When Quitting MQ?
Oct 27, 2009

With the big pay cut & NJA all the time, I don't feel like I owe them a full 2 weeks!  Why do they need 2 weeks' notice when there's not enough work on the system anyway?  Curious how much notice others have given. ...