A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do you increase sound quality? sm - speedyfingerz

Posted: Jul 11, 2012

I have a service that rerecords from the hospital server and then we download from the service's server.  The sound quality is absolutely atrocious by the time it comes to the MT with most jobs sounding like they were dictated on a cell phone inside a cardboard box.  I am presently using a Boostaroo which make the audio louder but does nothing to clean it up.  Is there something I can buy that will improve the quality?  TIA

Sound issues - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I use sometimes Goldwave to increase the volume of a low speaking dictator. It has functions for minimizing background noise, etc., too. I think if you tinker with it for a bit, it will best fit your requirement. If you search the file sharing websites, you can get it free.

try new headset and sound card -- sm - earcheck

[ In Reply To ..]
I just bought a new headset: Dictaphone 501054 Deluxe PC Headset
and new external sound card:
sound blaster x-fi go pro

which seems to have helped me - maybe it will for you too

Similar Messages:

DSG- Sound Quality
Jul 18, 2010

I'm trying to troubleshoot something.  Does anyone else have sound-quality issues on DSG dictations?  Just curious if I should seriously have this looked at on my end.  It's not all reports, but enough so that I need to look into it one way or the other.  If I'm the only one, I'll hire someone to look into this.  I have no problems with audio otherwise, just work-wise. ...

Can The Sound Quality
Sep 07, 2011

I've done this account forever and even the guys who were always clear now sound like they are dictating through a wet paper bag, with pebbles in their mouths.  Have they switched to India Bell? ...

DSG-anybody Find The Sound Quality Bad?
Feb 16, 2010

And if so, how do you fix it? ...

Sound Quality Issues.
Jan 04, 2011

I am having a very hard time with sound issues.  I turn it all the way up and still struggle just to hear the voices.  It doesn't matter if I plug my headphones directly into the computer port or the speaker port.  It plays louder if I let the speakers play out loud without headphones but I cannot always do that when others are around because of HIPAA and privacy issues.  I have a generic SoundMax sound card on a Dell computer.  Does anyone have any suggestions to m ...

Sound Quality All Of The Sudden Changes
Sep 30, 2011

Why would one by one doctors who I have listened to for years suddenly have changes in the quality of their voice files?  They were clear as a bell and now muffled or with static.  What could be causing this?  I'm afraid the company I am working for is planning on sending files overseas but I can't figure out why the sound quality would change.  Does anyone have any ideas? ...

Could The Sound Quality Get Any Worse?
Nov 20, 2011

Is it just me or is the sound quality just getting worse and worse?  Distorted, static, background noise, on and on.  And these are doctors who used to be crystal clear.  I am adjusting the tone & jamming my headset onto my ears but that's a waste of time. Very frustrating.  Just my gripe o' the day. ...

Is The Sound Quality Much Worse
Feb 15, 2012

or is it just me? Static, low volume, horrible! ...

Sound Quality Very Poor
Aug 31, 2012

Is it me or is it that the sound quality is getting worse and worse on these accounts.  Ever since last year when they had the town hall meeting saying they were making improvements (e mails, etc.) and then they got bought, seems all that improving stopped.  Half of the work I get every day or more are simple inaudible, I cannot hear or the static is so bad, or the sound so low, I have to send to QA b/c these are not intelligible. Is it me, or has it always been this bad?  We are ...

Has Anybody Been Able To Improve On The Sound Quality At AP? Sm
Sep 23, 2012

I have done absolutely everything that I can think of and it's still horrible!  I upgraded from WinXP and Word 2002 and bought a brand new, faster computer with Win7 and Word 2010.  I bought the recommended USB headphones.  Although Spectra headphones aren't considered very good quality, the USB made the sound louder but not clearer.  It still sounds muffled.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the sound quality when I went from the old computer and the USB ...

What Would Cause Such Poor Sound Quality? Sm
Mar 26, 2013

I know my hearing has not changed but it seems that the sound quality of the dictation lately has changed.  It doesn't matter whether I'm using a cphone or downloaded voice files.  On A LOT of the dictations there seems to be a whooshing sound (for lack of a better description) in the background.   On others there seems to be a squeaking sound as if the doctor is playing with the phone cord.  Is this because the docs are now dictating directly into the computer ...

Poor Sound Quality
Oct 07, 2013

Almost ALL reports done so far this a.m. have had the worst quality.  Dictation cutting in and out, muffled speech, turning head away from phone, shuffling of papers, talking in background.  COME ON!!!  This job is difficult enough.  Quit wasting my time on this garbage.  ARGH. ...

Sound Quality Sucks Again
Jul 01, 2014

Back in the 80s and 90s, we had to put up with fuzzy tapes, but I would have thought that by 2014 this would no longer be an issure.   I'm so tired of struggling to hear voices that sound like they're speaking through a long tube or under water. ...

Sound Quality Issues
Aug 26, 2014

Lately, the sound quality is becoming much worse.  Muffled, garbled speech.  How can we not leave blanks?  This is so frustrating. ...

Sound Quality Deteriorating
Mar 31, 2015

Everyday it is getting WORSE.  Too bad they can't be bothered to work on this chronic issue.  ARGH!!!!!!!!!  One report is a whisper, the next nearly blows your brains out.  So tired of the same old garbage every day. ...

Sound Quality Going Downhill
Jun 27, 2015

Has anyone ever complained through Remedy about the sound quality for Fluency?  I realize this is probably futile with MM, but it has become so unacceptable. How in the h3!! are we supposed to produce quality documents when MM can't even give us quality sound???  This is so freaking annoying.  The past 4 jobs I have done have been deplorable audio and every single one of them I have placed a QA note regarding the state of the sound hoping that one of the dictators will relist ...

Help Poor Sound Quality Report
Apr 03, 2011

Please HELP!!!  What is the policy when you have a 22 minute dictation and the sound quality is so poor you can only understand may be every 4th or 5th word/phrase.  I already have about 25 blanks and I'm only about 5 minutes in.  I have been a tier 3 MT for 12+ years and am not trying to pass the buck here.  I believe it is actually a mechanical malfunction on his end.  There are times when it is dead silent and I can't tell if he is dictating or not through i ...

America's Pride Sound Quality (sm)
Jul 30, 2012

Does anyone else find the sound quality of AP files to be horrendous? ...

Sound Quality Is Horrible This Morning
Oct 14, 2012

Seems like it just happened overnight. Wasn't this bad yesterday. Sounds like they are talking through a big old thick sock.  ...

InScribe Poor Sound Quality
Oct 14, 2012

I'm just wondering if poor sound quality (very muffled) can be due to other things than dictator using cell phone, etc.  I recently started working with Inscribe, and sometimes it seems like every single dictator is very hard to hear clearly (static, overall muffled, etc), so I'm wondering if it's something to do with a temporary condition related to the Inscribe platform/server or the hospital.   Before this account, I got all my dictation over the phone, so this is new to m ...

Sound Quality Issues, Help With Equalizer.
Nov 22, 2012

My EQ50 Koss 3 band equalizer went out on me two months ago and boy am I feeling it.  My sound quality is horrible trying to hear all my dicators.  Apparently the EQ50 equalizer by Koss has been discontinued and I cannot find it anywhere.  Can anyone share a new equalizer or any equalizer that is comparible or anything.  Thanks!!! ...

Sound Quality And Dictators Terrible?...sm
Dec 02, 2013

Current Probity employee about to be sucked up by the impersonal big company.  Anyway, has anybody noticed in the last two weeks all the good dictators are gone and there's nothing left but the garbage dictators and poor sound quality?  I have struggled all evening and have a total of about 300 lines.  Ran out of work both Saturday and Sunday nights which has never happened in the past.  Either I'm on the s**t list or the work is already transitioning somewhere else ...

Horrible Sound Quality Today!
Dec 15, 2014

Most of the dictations I'm getting sound raspy and crackling, with sound weaving in and out.  I'm so on edge from straining to hear, I can't wait for this to be over. ...

Headphones - Anything Decent That Helps With Sound Quality?
Aug 13, 2013

Some of these people are difficult enough to understand, though we've got a decent dictation/transcription system.   I was wondering if any of you have headsets that are noise-cancelling, or can do anything to improve the sound quality of what you hear? I would like a smaller style of headphones, like Lanier MP-555 style, with the small beads that fit in the ears on a light plastic headset -  if possible. Thanks. ...

What Did He Say? Poor Sound Quality This Past Month.
Jun 11, 2014

A lot of the reports I've had in recent weeks have been hard to hear.  I'll start to think it's my hearing or my headset, then one will come in crystal clear, and I realize the others are just muffled.  Back in the days of tapes, we'd get scratchy, muffled tapes from time to time, but I never would have thought in the year 2014 with digital technology, I'd still be dealing with the same problem. ...

I Quit Due To Crap Sound Quality And Hellish ESLs
Mar 26, 2015

I quit in early 2014 because there was a sudden switchover of doctors in the acct I was typing, and they were the worst I've ever encountered. The sound quality was atrocious at Nuance. It was like scraping the bottom of the barrel. I work for a different company now that doesn't make you jump through stupid FIESA hoops, etc, and it's nice. Just wondering if the same crap dictation continues at Nuance. I liked Transcend. ...

Is There Any Software Program To Download To Improve Sound Quality/tone?
Jun 28, 2012

for Windows 7.  Thanks for your help.  ...

New Quality Index Vs Old Quality Score
Oct 18, 2014

I ran an error report for all reports, all accounts on my platform for this quarter, 10/1 - 10/18. So far the Quality Index is 84% vs Quality Score 99.18%.  Didn't they advertise this new error scoring as working out in our favor?  Doesn't look like it to me. This is based on 2194 jobs and 105,358 lines audited on E5.  I checked the box that says view all corrections on the correction report. ...

I Need To Increase My Pay....
Feb 08, 2012

....as I'm about ready to get kicked out.  I have been working like crazy and was shocked when I saw my paycheck but at least I have a job.  Please tell me what I can do to get more lines per hour.  If I turn the clock off when I get up, then I have to make up that time to get my eight hours in.  Too tired by the end of when my shift is to stop to do more typing/vr.  I need hints/ideas/etc!!!!!  Thanks :) ...

Trying To Increase Speed...
Sep 25, 2010

Does anyone have any hints/suggestions/help for working more quickly in Powerscribe editing radiology reports?  The program seems a bit sluggish and you have to wait on it when you want to go on to the next step/next report.  Any hints for copying/pasting more quickly, etc?  Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to increase my speed.  TIA ...

Best Way To Increase Lines
Jun 27, 2013

I've been doing work via escription for about a month and a half now (Transcriptionist most of my life) and i really like it.  I am just up to about an average of 300 lines per hour though. I have heard/seen people do much better with the line count, and I wonder what your input is.  Some say that you shouldnt use the mouse and should only use the keyboard for quick editing.  I use the mouse still. I have my short cuts in and such, but for the most part i keep my hand on the ...