A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Govt MT job - sweetestpea

Posted: Dec 06, 2011

Does anyone know where to look for a govt. transcription job?

Seems that's an awfully easy thing to Google. - MTs are supposed to be great at Internet research.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

What kind of reply is that??? - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
x

An honest one? - Sandra

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously.

The poster just said "government," which could be federal (VA, etc.), state, local. All one has to do is go to Google or any other search engine and search for government jobs.

One would think (and expect) any slightly-Net-savvy to know that.

It seems that many MTs want to spend time posting here so someone will spoonfeed them info, when that time could have been spent finding it themselves. JMO
An honest one - Sandra - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you on this one. I personally would not hire anyone who did have the research skills to find government jobs. It's really pretty basic.

no advise - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently this board is not a place to get advice or help anymore, it is only for griping and complaining.

How to get government MT jobs - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Amen to that. I would like to have a government MT position, but as I see it most likely big outsource companies probably have those accounts. I would love to know exactly who to contact about that. Doing my research on it.

Totally agree with you on that one - kettle

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems like every time someone asks a question, someone else has to get snarky. Guess that's what happens when you put a group of women together, albeit in the office or out.

kettle - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It has nothing to do with women or getting "snarky" (is that really a word), or anything other than ingenuity in research and personal responsibility. That's all.
Uh huh. - kettle
[ In Reply To ..]
nm.

totall agree... - sweetestpea

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you!! I never would have bothered the question if people were going to get their noses out of joint. Good grief. It was just a question. Of course I know how to research on the internet.

www dot usajobs dot gov - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The federal government has a website, www dot usajobs dot gov, that lists jobs with federal agencies. It gives you all the relevant information about them, including how to apply. There is also an application manager feature that you can use to complete an online application. You can program it to email lists of jobs to you. There is no fee or charge to use that website or to get information from it.

Be very careful that you enter that URL exactly, because you need to get to the DOT GOV site, i.e., the real federal website. Every so often impostor websites spring up using misspellings or variants of that (like one that uses a dot com address). The fake sites exist to steal personal information or as a money-making venture.

Be aware that federal agencies may classify jobs using unfamiliar terms. You might not find "medical transcriptionist" jobs listed (although I have seen those words in some job announcements). The job may be classified as a "medical record technician" position. It may also be classified using something like "data entry" or "office automation." If you look down the list of job classifications on that website, you may be able to spot likely titles.

Definitely search for all the medical record technician (MRT) positions. Read through those to see what they really are--some are coding, some are other types of medical records jobs, and some may be MT. After reading those, you may have a better sense of what to search for to find what you want. Do not be discouraged if you see only one or two MT jobs--they come up periodically. I saw one group of announcements a year or two ago for about 30-40 MTs.

I would avoid narrowing your interest to only MT. You may be well-qualified for any number of MRT jobs. You may also be very well-qualified for jobs as medical administrative clerks, administrative assistants, secretaries, program analysts, and so forth. It depends on the position's level and duties. You might want to search through all the jobs available at an agency's office near you or even nationally. While time-consuming, it would be educational; you would learn how to find what you want.

Be aware that applying for a federal job requires close adherence to the instructions. If your application is incomplete, you will not be considered. If the content of your application isn't what they required, you will not be considered (like you forgot to sign something or left blanks). There are online companies that help with applications (for a fee), but the federal website provides instructions and you can find online advice for free.

sm- - sweetpea

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for you help - and your professionalism.

GOVERNMENT MT JOBS - roybrit

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.usajobs.gov/

My very first MT job was VA Medical Center,Department of Surgical Pathology
January 1979

Similar Messages:

Govt Crackdown On IC Status
Jun 09, 2014

As the govt cracks down on employers claiming to offer IC status and IC status jobs going to be obsolete in the very near future, how many are willing to go to employee status with low pay and strict adherence to set hours ? ...

Today Is Payday, And I Just Applied For Govt Assistance
Oct 20, 2011

MAJOR VENT.  My paycheck from MQ was deposited into my account today and it just sent me into a panic.  Pay days are NOT supposed to feel like this - they are not supposed to cause you to put your head down on your desk and cry.  They are not supposed to be like this.  For the first time EVER I won't be able to pay my rent.  I'm a single mom, I've worked full-time with MQ for 14 years, I'm an MME (supposedly at the top of my career game) and I can� ...