A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fractured radius - ClumsyMT

Posted: Jan 30, 2010

Broke arm and would like to hear other MT's experience with same or similar...how long to type again, how long to productive speed, etc.  TIA.

Both bone forearm fracture... - hurricane

[ In Reply To ..]
Had a both bone forearm fx in 2005. Had surgery and fixation plate. Doc told me it would heal faster with surgery and it did. Was only casted for 10 days --able to do QA stuff in the cast. Was typing, albeit slower than normal, at 2 weeks. Probably about 6 weeks until back to normal.

Broken wrist - MT Bottle

[ In Reply To ..]
I broke radius at wrist. This was a really bad fracture, many pieces. Broke ulna too but not as bad.

Had surgery the day after it happened with four pins with an external fixator - no cast. Had this on for six weeks. It was my dominant hand so I had to learn to do EVERYTHING with my nondominant hand. That was the hardest part to deal with. Think about all you do with your dominant hand...including personal activities if you know what I mean. I doubt that yours is as bad as mine was, thank goodness. It was really hard trying to sleep with the fixator too, had to have arm propped up on 2-3 pillows.

Then my insurance paid for 6 weeks physical therapy but that was not enough so I had to keep going for another 4 weeks. Then I finally went back to work and by that time I was fine, completely back to normal. My surgeon was wonderful.

Good luck with this, hope you get through it without too much trouble.

I think it depends on what you broke, how much it hurts, - and the type ofcast. I broke my wrist -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
last year (Colles fx.), and since it needed only a cast, and no surgery or anything, I told them to leave enough room in the thumb so I could type with it. I found it was no problem at all. So I only missed one day of work - that was to drive to the medical center for setting and casting, and then drive home again. After that, I was back in business.

Thank U all for the info & well wishes. nm - ClumsyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
;-)

Similar Messages:

Area Of Uj? Near The Radius Sm
Jun 09, 2011

His pisiform is in excellent conjunction with the radius itself, but the s/l "area uj"  appears to be well preserved.  There is callous formation over the radius ...

Bone Deformity In Radius And Ulna
Apr 19, 2010

it s/l natalung's deformity. ...

Pt Is S/p ORIF Right Distal Radius With Removal Of Hardware
Nov 12, 2014

and left carpal tunnel release. She is asking for Cad-i-mean cream. Thanks ...

Having A Rough Morning. Distal Radius Fracture Question
Dec 22, 2009

We discussed alternative methods of treatment, other than the surgical option, which include but are not limited to, casting s/l "in situ/inside chew", closed reduction, without percutaneous or external fixation.  LOL, that is the best I can hear!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.    ...

The Pt. Has A Left Distal Radius Fracture And She Is Holding A "rule Of Bias" In That Hand
Feb 24, 2015

nm ...

There Are S/l "steralhairs" At Growth Lines That Can Be Seen On The Distal Radius.
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks.  ...