A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Extremely fast talking with an accent. - Mel

Posted: Feb 07, 2011

I have been transcribing for 11 years and everytime I get a fasting talking dictator with an accent, it slows me down so much that it affects my production.  I have slowed down the speed and added several expanders but that does not seem to help.

Are there any tips or suggestions anyone has that can help?

Thanks,

Mel

suggestions.... - gertie

[ In Reply To ..]
Breathe...as many deep ones as you can...then settle in and remember that when you finally get that dictator, you'll have it! I know how you feel and the only way I've gotten through those times is to breathe deeply...many times...slow down...and know that often times if I am able to master that doc, then I have some job security. Give yourself an "I CAN" attitude and KNOW that you CAN!!! You got this...just believe!!!

Thank you. - Mel

[ In Reply To ..]
It helps to know that I am not alone.

Mel

the faster they talk the slower I type - OldHandAtThis

[ In Reply To ..]
Just tell yourself that life will get better in the next century or so when you finally finish that damn report. Sometimes I promise myself that when I finally get the miserable thing finished, I will reward myself with something more fun to do -- such as cleaning out the garage or doing my taxes. This is just one of those things we all have to put up with from time to time, you are most definitely not alone.
agree. plus, I have no problem leaving blanks. - NM anmt
[ In Reply To ..]

Here's What I Do - Old, Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I look away to distract myself, as if I don't even care what the dictator is saying. I'll just look out the window while my foot is on the pedal, and just observe the scenery. For some reason, the words come to me--kind of like the less I try, the better it comes to me.

I've also gotten up from the desk, and the words come to me while I'm elsewhere in the house. Kind of like a delayed reaction.

If you're at the brink of tears, definitely get up and walk around and relax a bit.

Here's what I do, too. - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
(BTW, I totally agree with not worrying about leaving blanks for genuinely unintelligible dictators. I've done the relax and watch birds things, and it has worked for me too. I don't think I've EVER been on the brink of tears over one of them, though. :)

The thing is, 9 out of 10, (okay, maybe 4 out of 5) of these dictators, knowing they're hard to follow but wanting usable reports, use the same wording as much as possible each time. VERY early on I learned to avoid dreading difficult dictators by becoming an expert on them as soon as possible. I'll grab a bunch of reports and quickly work up a template, listing all the standard phrases as I figure them out. Happily, once familiar, because of all the repetition I usually end up making pretty decent money on these reports, sometimes very good on a pile of reports others have signed out to avoid. (It's a great system for avoiding resentment over that, too. :) If I can't figure out a nonstandard word, I'm able to quickly recognize it as nonstandard, drop in a blank, and move on, but typically very few need to go to QA for a second try at them, and I'm talking some real stinkers here.

Extremely fast talking with an accent - Lorrie

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Mel :)

I work at a level 1 trauma center associated with a university and we get a lot of fast talking dictators with accents! Here are a few things I try:

1. Say outloud what it sounds like they are saying - it might sound goofy but often it gives me a clue what is being said.
2. Play with the speed - listen and also adjust the speed as you listen. Many of the dictators have a particular speed they are just easier to hear at and it's not necessarily the slowest speed.
3. If it really starts to get to you, make notes somewhere for your own use about why that dictator is so difficult or tips to yourself about how to do them better. Then - I give them a grade and I am a hard grader! LOL It helps me feel a little relief. No one has earned an F yet but some have come so close!

Hope this helps!
Lorrie

Wow, pragmatist - AA

[ In Reply To ..]
That was great advice. I think it's wonderful information that all of you gave. Thank you, even though I am not the original poster, I could really use the insight that was given. Again, thank you.

Thanks. This thread has a wide variety of approaches. - Whatever works, right? Deeep breath...:)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Good advice - MTing half my lifetime

[ In Reply To ..]
Doing what the Old, Old MT and Pragmatist suggested is right on the money. Becoming the expert on hard docs is what makes you stand apart from other MTs. You get job satisfaction from doing that also! Great advice!

Similar Messages:

Please Help With Skin Exam For Physician With Extremely Thick Accent ...
Jan 10, 2011

The patient has a history of having skin cancers removed.  Physician dictates ... "Skin, multiple s/l something that ends with natosis and premalignant lesions, as well as scars from multiple surgeries from the skin cancers." TIA ...

Express Scribe Voice Speeds Up Extremely Fast
Oct 15, 2009

I got my standard USB footpedal to work with Express Scribe, but once I lift my foot off the pedal, the voice speeds up extremely fast.  Anyone know how to fix this?  TIA! ...

Do These Super-fast-talking Dictators
Apr 12, 2014

their dictation comes out with VR?   I have to retype most of it, whatever I can understand, that is.  :p   ...

Need Benefits Fast! Know Of Co That Gives Dental Ins Fast?
Jul 19, 2010

Need benefits fast!  Know of co that gives dental ins fast? ...

Accent Help, Please...
Jul 01, 2011

I'm having trouble understanding this dr. with an Asian accent on this part.  She's dictating that the "Patient was admitted to s/l tree telemetry..."  Does anyone have any ideas? ...

Podiatry Help - Bad Accent
Feb 20, 2011

Dr. is mumbling something horrible with a heavy South African accent. The patient is status post a corrective triple arthrodesis with bone graft for posttraumatic arthritis for a "s/l fill-ank-u-los" fracture. Thanks for looking!   I appreciate the help! ME ...

Bah!! Give Me An ESL With An Accent ANY DAY Over
Aug 12, 2012

Trouble With A Japanese Accent.
Dec 30, 2010

I am transcribing for a Japanese doctor and there are a few words I for the life of me cannot understand. #1: 1.  Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome related complex with moderately severe neuropathy.   2.  Pancytopenia secondary to #1.   3.  Status-post left hemispheric CVA with _____ mild right hemiparesis. Sounds like dee-sald-in and I figured the "in" is "and". I tried to think of words that meant "not as much" since mild was also used in the sentence ...

Help Please With Heavy Accent On Physical ...
Feb 21, 2011

NM ...

MRI Of Brain Tumor With Indian Accent
May 15, 2011

Any help is appreciated.  I'm stuck on 2 words. 1. Sagittal T1-weighted images were followed by axial proton density and T2-weighted images.  Subsequently, formal T1-weighted images were followed by postgadolinium. 2. On the nongadolinium enhanced T2-weighted images, increase signal is identified within the left sphenoid sinus.  This is probably related to a transphenodial pituitary; this concession in this patient. I know these aren't the correct words but they sound ...

Fast Chart - Current Info On Fast Chart
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone have any current info on Fast Chart, good, bad, ugly?  Checked the Archives, not much recent info.  Thanks! ...

Getting Extremely Frustrated
Aug 30, 2010

I have been out of school since July 15 and applied to over 30 companies.  I applied for this job at a company and haven't heard back yet.  I am optimistic that  I may get this job, but it is taking forever to hear back.  Passed their first test, took the second one, now I am waiting to hear back if I got hired or not. In the meantime though, how do I find other companies online?  I have looked everywhere and felt like I have already applied to every company online ...

WMX Extremely No Work
Oct 26, 2010

Today I have had literally half an hour's work all morning.  I was determined to get 8 hours today, but not likely at this rate.  Anyone else having this problem? and worried that it has something to do with the big announcement yesterday? ...

DQM Extremely Slow
Oct 01, 2012

or whatever the term is this week? I have been trying to log in for 20 minutes and no go. TIA ...

Hip Arthroplasty S/l Accent On The Right And Retained Hardware On The Left
Jan 05, 2011

Total hip arthroplasty infection with enterococcus with single-stage s/l accent on the right and retained hardware on the left. ...

Extremely Poor Treatment
Dec 11, 2012

I work for 96 physicians who (rightfylly so) expect the best and fastest quality transciption. However, when seen as a patient, I get the most horrid treatment (and fradulent) treatment possible (most most by clients.) I not only receive "steroid" injections that obviously have no steroids (only receive a few hours of pain relief) to dental care with crowns falling off after 2 weeks (I have had temporary crowns on as long as 3-4 years). These temporary crowns are put in and appointments reschedu ...

Medscribe Test Extremely Difficult?
Nov 26, 2010

Is it just me or is the medscribe test extremely difficult? ...

Synnernet EXTREMELY ABUSIVE To Employees
Apr 08, 2013

Synnernet is HORRIDLY abusive to its employees/"staff".   ...  Continuously changing hours, pay, requirements, cherry picking the best jobs by some staff, rude from the top...  Someone needs to grow some hair on their chest and SUE SUE SUE   ...

Headphones Have An Extremely Cord That Keeps Getting Kinked
Jan 09, 2014

My headphones have an extremely cord that keeps getting kinked.  Does anyone else have this problem and what did you do to keep it from kinking? ...

Anyone Notice How EXTREMELY Quiet It Is In The North (RW/JR)
Sep 24, 2014

more than usual ...

I Just Downloaded Instant Text - Seems Extremely Complicated -
Aug 24, 2010

I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years, all of which has been on Dictaphone EXText and now EXEditor.  Why does my ESP in Dictaphone keep interfering? If I use an expansion and hit spacebar the ESP windows comes up, which makes no sense because ESP uses ctrl-ctrl to open?  And how on earth do you learn it all?  How will it benefit me after using thousands of ESPs daily.    Help!   ...

All Kinds Of Help With An Operative Report With A Surgeon With Heavy Accent: Primary Procedure: Rong
Oct 26, 2010

I am having a really hard time under the Findings and Procedures with an Operative Report. The Primary Procedure is: Rongeur of Perforated Duodenal Ulcer Omentum Patch. The Secondary Procedure is: Standard Gastrostomy and Witzel Jejunostomy. Can anyone please help me? Thank you in advance! ...

Fast Chart - Does Anyone Work For Fast Chart
Mar 07, 2013

Does anyone work for Fast Chart and what can you tell me about them? ...

Bucket Handle Tear:"The Case Was Extremely Difficult Because Of Extreme S/l Laxi To This Joint
Jul 18, 2010

n/m ...

No One Talking About DIT
May 30, 2011

I am really surprised that there is no one talking about DIT.  I know that I am not the only one that got the shaft from them.  The owners last excuse for not paying me for work completed was that he just found out that he was losing his eyesight!.  Again, I fell for it hook, line and sinker.  He couldn't answer his emails because he had to find someone else to read them to him.  By the end of the conversation, I was in tears..... I am such a fool.  I did however, get my pay in full, ...

Nobody Talking??
Jan 07, 2015

Must be extremely busy with M*Modal today.  Nobody has anything to say. Either that or they were taught properly and know if they can't say anything nice they won't say anything at all! ...

When Talking About Positions.....
Feb 21, 2012

is 12 o'clock position/axis/radians or twelve o'clock.....please check the book of style, cuz I'm getting confused with these new people.... ...

People Are Always Talking About How ICs Should Not Have
Sep 27, 2012

a set schedule, but I also thought as an IC you should be able to say how much you charge, not let the MTSO tell you how much they are willing to pay you. ...

Tired Of Getting Talking Down To
Nov 14, 2013

anyone else tired of being talking down to by their QC, so sick of it, they act like we are babies and they are the only ones with knowledge.  So we make a mistake, their mistake in this company if making the point value so high on silly things, but there again that is one way of getting rid of us and giving more to off-shoring. Just tired of it all but looking every chance I get.   And I guess the higher ups who get copies of all the QC emails probably are eating it up when they ...

Talking Type
Mar 30, 2015

Has anyone worked for Talking Type?  I just tested for them and wondered how they are as far as paying on time and having enough work.  Thanks.  Ev ...