A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Employee status minimum wage - Kath

Posted: Mar 13, 2015

Does anyone know if it is legal to not pay at least minimum wage as due to lack of work when you are expected to work anyway?  Third-party MT companies are getting rich, and we are being treated very unfairly.  I have been doing this for 35 years.  I have spent 2 stints, 5-years each, with at-home companies, and they could care less about us.  At age 56, I was hoping to retire from the company I work for now, but I cannot make a living.  Also, very nontransparent line counting, basically take their word for it.  Anyone know where I can research labor laws for at-home MT employee status.  Would it be the state I live in or the state which the company is? Just a number.  

Downtime - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 66 and recently retired as a hospital transcriptionist, being at that particular facility for seven years. I was making just under $20 an hour working at home with their equipment, super benefits. When I left, I took with me a check for $20,000. Now after getting bored, I am work PT doing transcription for a national company and have read many posts over the past several months, being outraged at what I was reading. To that end, I have recently sent info to my Congresswoman on investigating this industry and will probably have to wait several months until her staff can investigate everything I told her about. As for getting paid "downtime," you may as well forget it. They could care less. I had contacted the Labor Dept. recently who could care less. So I feel there as no recourse but to contact my Congresswoman ...

no work and wages - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
I called the DOL last year regarding this issue. They told me that your pay for the entire WEEK had to be less than minimum wage before the company would be required to add money to make sure you are paid minimum wage. My pay even with hours of no work always equaled to at least minimum wage so the company never had to cover any of the no work hours.

you can apply for partial unemployment - beenthere

[ In Reply To ..]
they have to pay you minimum wage if you don't make that for the entire week. if you have been getting a whole 40 hours of work and then it goes down, you can apply for partial unemployment, at least you can in TN, with the reason being "lack of work." and you would check with the labor dept in the state where you live.

Similar Messages:

Report Wage Discrepancy Or Employee Status
Jun 29, 2010

Watching MSNBC and a number was given out along with a plea for anyone in the US who feels they are being paid unfairly or if they feel their tax classification (IC v Employee) is wrong.   866-4US-WAGE The push is on.  ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

What Happens When You Get Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 14, 2010

I'm worried if I suffer another .03 cent decrease I may drop below minimum wage.  How do we indicate that to somebody?  Is it calculated per pay period - or what? ...

Minimum Wage In MA And MUP
Nov 20, 2013

Massachusetts may well pass a minimum wage of $11 (over 3 years).  It's passed the state senate.  Parts of WA (Seatac) actually have a $15 minimum wage.  Wonder what Nuance will do about MUP now, since so many in those states will be getting it.  Could get interesting.  ...

DC Minimum Wage
Dec 18, 2013

Okay, so I read by 2015, DC wants minimum wage to be $11.50 an hour. I'm assuming by that time Nuance will make our minimum line count reflect this increase - approximately 280 lph, especially since WE NEVER GET A RAISE. ...

Minimum Wage?
Oct 29, 2014

just wondering if anyone knows...is there any kind of rule for paying you a minimum wage if your income with MM drops below the minimum wage? ...

At Least Got Minimum Wage
Dec 17, 2014

Bottom line is, regardless of the new pay rules, it's hard to even make above minimum wage before or after the new rules. So at least federal law guarantees minimum wage. Beyond that, my goal is to get out of this field and leave this MTSO company ASAP, though it won't happen overnight. ...

Minimum Wage
Jan 25, 2015

A $15.00 minimum wage would equate to 375 lines per hour at .04 per line. That's 3000 lines a day for an 8 hour day! The best I have ever done was 2700 lines editing in an 8 hour day and that was only once and someplace where I had been doing the same doctors for 6 years. Guess I would get fired for always getting MUP. And by the way, that's 428 lines per hour (3424 lines per day) at .035 per line and 500 lines per hour at 0.03 (4000 lines per day). If more cities raise the ...

What Should We Do If We Earn Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 02, 2010

Are we supposed to report this to someone?  Plus, since our earnings may fluctuate from pay to pay, what do we do then?  ...

Concern About Minimum Wage
Mar 15, 2010

My ASR rate x 100 is less than minimum wage.  My transcription rate x 100 is just slightly higher than minimum wage.  I wonder if MQ is planning to increase the minimum lph to 150.  ...

Working Below Minimum Wage
Apr 05, 2010

With the last spate of "changes" including institution of the latest version of DocQScribe -- the blossoming of the "swap board" and the "waving bye-bye" of accounts of 8-years' duration -- as they switch to using TEMPLATES (God Bless Electronic Medical Records) --my income has dropped more than 50% in the last 6 months.  But hey, I'm not concerned.  After all, I'm an idiot to begin with.  I have no intellect, no language skills, no research skills, no "shorth ...

Minimum Wage On Pay Stub
Jun 10, 2010

On today's check I had 0.25 hours at minimum wage, and I have no idea why. I have always produced my 150 lph minimum every day since I started. I am not making a ton of money, but my hourly average is more than minimum wage. Now I am getting really paranoid. Of course, I am in the over 10 cpl category. This just can't be right, but I fear it has put me on some big-wig's termination radar. ...

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MINIMUM WAGE APPLIES TO MT'S
Apr 25, 2011

I am just curious if we are entitled to minimum wage since those of us who are employees are required a minimum to keep benefits and yet not making minimum wage and just sitting here not making any money while accounts are over staffed?  ...

Minimum Wage Question. (sm)
Nov 14, 2011

I have heard in various places on these boards that if you are supposed to work full-time and your pay (by the line or character) doesn't equal minimum wage for those hours, you can get unemployment even though you still have a job. Does anyone know if that is true? Does it apply to part-time work? If anyone has a link to valid information, please let me know. I don't even know where to look, but I'm dying here with NJA when I'm supposed to be working, getting no response ...

SGS Pays SOME MTs Minimum Wage
Nov 27, 2011

On a post below about SGS, an MT states that she is being paid minimum wage.  She states she had to 'fight' for it, however, they are paying her minimum wage on the accounts where she is scheduled, and expected, to sit in front of her computer when there is very little work. I have asked several coworkers about this, and some of them are being paid minimum wage, as well.  Not all; only the ones who requested (demanded) it. THERE GOES ALL MTSO CLAIMS THAT SINCE WE' ...

Minimum Wage Issue Again
Dec 02, 2011

I was reading a post placed earlier today about minimum wage and calling employment lawyers, etc.  Why can't we all get together, hire someone to represent us (like a lobbyist) or start our own organization since AAMT bailed on us.  There is power in numbers.  We just need someone who is a leader to step forward and make this happen.  I would be willing to pay a small sum of money on my part to get something started for us to have some type of representation to get our i ...

Out Of Work - Minimum Wage?
Dec 24, 2011

Am I reading the policy correctly?  Even if I choose to take PTO, I'm going to get minimum wage? I've never run out of work before. ...

STILL Making Just Over Minimum Wage!
Apr 04, 2012

I LOVE working from home. I love my CCM, she is extremely understanding and flexible, which is what I need! Due to this, a few weeks ago I decided I just had a "bad attitude" and needed an adjustment. So I put my nose to the grindstone and produced almost 5,000 more lines than normal or required (80 hours). I had quite a few straight transcription jobs, and was confident my paycheck for the last pay period would be awesome! Although it was approximately $70 more than normal, I still figured ...

MTSO And The Minimum Wage
Jun 25, 2012

I decided to drive to the Labor Department and ask them directly about this issue, with respect to the fact that MTs who work as employees are paid "per line." The guy said, "It doesn't matter what type of work you do, by federal law you must be paid mininum wage." --- Even if the agreement is for "per line," it must equal mininum wage. So folks ... start keeping very strict records of when you're working and ONLY when you're working. That means, if you get up to go to the ...

Minimum Wage With Overhead?
Feb 25, 2013

I graduated last year from MTEC.  I've been working since November at a national company and am earning minimum wage of $8.00.  Many recommend that you earn a certificate--starting with the RMT and later the CMT.  According to my research, each test costs about $200.  In addition, it is recommended that one keep up with the field by attending conferences and the like occasionally, which also tends to cost some money.  Now, I can understand the "overhead" if being a ...

Even With Accurate ASR, Still Minimum Wage.
Mar 18, 2013

I had a couple of ASR reports that were stellar, being of the quality we were promised (of course, not from my usual accounts), and yet, the lph was still around minimum wage (hovering around 200). What's up with that!? The new statistics graphic shows the proof. Geez, they keep handing us more and more proof that earning a living wage doing ASR for MM is hopeless. Anyone doing at least 300 lph without having dictator standard reports? ...

Minimum Wage Raise
Feb 10, 2014

If minimum wage gets raised to over $10.00 an hour - I'm leaving. I don't care if I work at Wal-Mart or McDonalds!! I'll get paid for chatting, meetings, breaks, going to the bathroom, etc..... ...

Minimum Wage Boost
Jun 22, 2014

Did you know that minimum wage will be raised from $8.00 to $9.00 next month, at least in California? So I wonder what that means for Nuance. Does that mean that the minimum line per hour will now be mmore than the current minimum of 186 lines/hour to meet minimum wage without having the company pay MUP or make-up pay? Or does that mean that they will give employees a raise and leave required lines at minimum of 186 lines? I wonder. ...

Imedx Minimum Wage Pay
Apr 05, 2015

Has anyone been paid minimum wage on times clocked in and out, even if you got no work at all. We cannot be on-call, that makes no sense. ?? ...

Why We Should Be Making More Than Minimum Wage
May 09, 2015

If our skills are valued the same as fast food workers, then why do they require at least one year's experience as an MT to be hired? Why do newbies have to have gone to school? Why the lengthy testing before being hired? Any 16-year-old with no work experience can be hired at Burger King, so why not as a medical transcriptionist? I don't understand the reasoning behind lowering our income to minimum wage and making it next to impossible to advance beyond minimum wage, even for peo ...

QC Is Now Valued At Minimum Wage
May 15, 2015

Checking the new compensation plan, I will make minimum wage if I continue doing the lph I currently do. I need to double it to make close to my former pay; my quality is already at/near the top so can't really improve that way.  Even if I could do many more lines and stay at high quality, THERE IS NO QC WORK! There hasn't been enough work for weeks now.  How can they require this line count when they are fully aware there is not enough work to even do a minimum-wage level li ...

City Minimum Wage???
Jun 13, 2015

anyone out their getting city, not state minimum wage? ...

If You Don't Make Minimum Wage When You're Training,
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

Any Services Supplement Up To Minimum Wage??
Dec 11, 2010

I hear often that you only get paid per line. I was curious if any of these MT services supplement your pay up to minimum wage if your line count pay falls below it. ...