A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Employee offered insurance... not really better than my own?? - Confused

Posted: Jun 03, 2010

I am new to the MTSO thing.  IC for 10 years and bought my own health insurance.  It was $242.00 a month, and I let it go a few months ago after losing my job.  Now I am being offered by my employer an HSA plan for around the same amount or a PPO plan for around $300.00.  (this is them paying 60% and me paying 40% and that is what it equals??) This seems OUTRAGEOUS.  Am I crazy? 

I am single, no children, spouse... under 30....

What is some opinions on going with employer health insurance or trying to find your own? 

I know lots of people read these things and never comment... I hope some people speak up, I'm really new at this MTSO thing and I'm thinking of maybe going with their dental and vision plan... but I've never looked into that elsewhere either... I know I have to do tons of research, but they have to have this back to them in 2 weeks... (we found this out yesterday - in which ive had a week planned vacation leaving in 2 days!!)  ugh.

Really a tough call - Depends on so many factors

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, it's such a tough call with the prices of insurance.

The MTSO for whom I work had a BC/BS plan that by all accounts should have been fantastic...at about $420 a month, but included medical, vision, dental, etc., and covered my husband and I. HORRIBLE policy. They wouldn't approve anything. Everything was subjected to "pre-existing conditions." It was like burning $420 a month.

At the first of the year, they switched to another carrier which I'd never of but they have approved literally EVERYTHING. Even though it costs about $5 or so a month more than that godawful BC/BS policy, I've saved about $600 on various co-pays, referrals, etc., since the beginning of the year. Although I'd never heard of them, when I first went to their website, I discovered there were over 200 physicians in my area that accepted this insurance, and every local hospital did as well.

My husband and I both have medical conditions that require monthly treatment, so we definitely need to have medical insurance. Perhaps if we were both healthy and I felt I could get away with purchasing a private policy to cover only MAJOR issues, I would have passed on the MTSO-provided policies. I know our ERs here in CA have started requesting anywhere from a $100-300 co-pay in advance and having insurance makes that easier to work around (I don't know many people these days with that kind of cash set aside for an unexpected ER visit).

I pretty much think the rate they're quoting you is within reason compared to my experience, but as to whether or not to sign up for it is a pretty personal decision.

Sorry if this rambled; it's early here for me and I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but I saw you needed info ASAP and wanted to let you know, IMHO, the charge for their insurance doesn't necessarily seem out of line to me.

Good luck, and enjoy that vacay coming up!

This is a BC/BS plan ... from their state - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
This is where I get confused. They say that the plan based in their state does cover all 50 states... I am glad you brought up some stuff about what I will need the insurance for .. you didn't ramble :) I'm also on west coast time and was just in a baffle this morning! I got in trouble for not sending my lines on May 31 and I was like, ugh! that was a holiday and I didn't even turn ON my computer, and I just got up! (it was 930 my time... not so early theirs haha)... I am learning so much this past month of new employment and I'm just stressing out I know I need to take a deep breath... It's scary for me to not have insurance, but I took a pay cut to join this company as it is and can barely force myself to even get to full time status... I can't imagine a big chunk coming out of my paycheck like that...
You are right it is personal... Even though I'm very much an adult, I feel like such a child sometimes and still need my mom's help for stuff like this... I know I need to grow up and make the decision... but financially it's been tough for so long that this is just another thing that hurts.
I guess it's a risk not having it, just like anything else... it's meant to help if something DOES happen, but what if it doesnt... UGHHHHH :(

I definitely need the vacation... although if I'm serious about it, I am just going out of town, I still have to work... but at least I can throw some pool time in there :)

A policy of your own - Buying it myself

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just over 30 and for my 2 cents I'd say get the policy on your own. From what I hear on these boards it is hard to keep enough work from the MTSOs to keep your benefits. If you buy your own policy you aren't trapped with this company either. You can take a job with a higher pay if it comes along!! Especially being so young you know you aren't going to be with this company forever. Sometimes working 2 part time jobs is safer in this industry. Then at least if 1 company is slow you have the other to fall back on. Or if one company gets bought out by MedQuist (I'm just sayin!)

Especially if you were buying your own before and it cost roughly the same per month... Do take the time to compare the benefits though. I've seen it wildly vary for policies of the same cost.

Now one thing I want to stress to you is, get insurance -before- you turn 30 and don't let it lapse after that. The rates go WAY up if you are getting insurance after 30 without having prior coverage. You can change insurance companies but your rates will always be cheaper if you currently -have- insurance.

As a transcriptionist I know you've seen enough emergency cholecystectomy, appendectomy procedures to know that if this happens to you, you'll be SO glad you paid that insurance premium each month!! These things DO happen to younger people.

The other advantage is, that if you DO get sick you won't be in pre-existing condition hell for a year when you do buy insurance. This is totally frustrating but it was the only way I could get my condition covered. I had to pay for everything myself while at the same time paying the premiums, now that was a big chunk of my paycheck!

My favorite advantage of buying it myself is FREEDOM! I'm not dependent on my employer and am free to change jobs if I want to.

Good luck! And do try to relax by the pool!

An options for a 62-year-old (me) who did not take the MTSO Ins - because of $5000 deductible
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately I ended up in the ER in early April (with a kidney stone) and the ER bill was close to 2 thousand, followup CAT stone almost the same, and seeing urologist another 2 thousand. I passed a 5 mm stone but still have a 9 mm stone that could dislodge at any time. Then I would need surgery and would really be up the creek. I make lowly wages, do not qualify for any aid in my state because I am just above the qualifying level. If anyone knows where I could get insurance without paying a terrible deductible, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

I know exactly what you mean - Really a tough call

[ In Reply To ..]
This was BC/BS out of Georgia that I was saddled with (the godawful one that wouldn't approve ANYTHING). The co-pay was $10 per office visit more than with this current plan and the prescription co-pay was also double (the ONLY thing it did pay). I've been awaiting surgery to remove a tumor for 8 months because of this insurance company denying everything or calling it out of network...just an unending nightmare of red tape and paperwork. The new carrier immediately approves everything within 3-5 days (sometimes sooner). The difference in responsiveness is amazing and, because I had to find a new PCP, I have to admit I feel like I've discovered an oasis; real doctors that call me at home to see how I'm doing, follow-up on referrals to make sure I've been contacted, etc. Without the transition to this new insurance carrier, I'd have never heard of this medical group, so everything apparently does happen for a reason.

If I were younger and in better health, I have to admit I'd be tempted to wing it without any insurance, either, and hope for the best. It just seems such a waste of money every month when you're young and relatively healthy and can truly go years without any serious illness or injury. Maybe it's cheaper to just put aside a reasonable amount ($500 or so) in case you needed to pay for an urgent care visit or ER visit rather than invest in a plan every month.

I'm with you...Sometimes I just want my mommy or daddy to decide these things for me, lol! The simplest decisions in life can be the most overwhelming to deal with!

I think I need a vacay too...I'm WAY too rambling today!

I'd do the employer thing for now... - cindyoh

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the BCBS plan through my employer (Diskriter)that runs me around $195 a month. I'm single, no kids. I did a bit of shopping around but everything else seemed higher and didn't cover as much. Happy with my plan and glad to have it, I'd be afraid to wing it.

Similar Messages:

TTS Insurance..IC Versus Employee Status
Jun 04, 2010

I am considering TTS (Transcription, Technology, and Support) and was wondering what anyone could tell me about their insurance such as rates, etc.  Also, I'd like to hear from both IC and employees there.  I didn't know which would be the best way to go.  Thanks! ...

Dsg Gobbleed Up Too. How Much Is Employee/spouse Health Insurance?
Feb 06, 2012

Hi, just found out DSG is now part of m-modal. I would appreciate knowing how much their employee/spouse health insurance is, and if it is any good or not. Thanks so much for your time   ...

Medical Transcription - Health Insurance For A New Employee At The 30-day Or 60-day Mark?
Mar 01, 2010

Anyone know of a company who starts health insurance  for a new employee at the 30-day or 60-day mark? ...

MTSO/Employee Status With United Healthcare Insurance?
Sep 08, 2010

Does anyone know of any services who hire employee status and that offer United Healthcare insurance (besides MQ!)?  I have a job as an IC that used to be full-time and has now dwindled down to part-time.  I'd like to keep this part-time and find an employee status full-time job just for the insurance and to help with the taxes.  Most of them won't even tell you until you've applied, sent your resume, tested, and then IF they make you a job offer they tell you what ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

Wow!! I Was Just Offered 2 Cpl To QA!!
Jan 20, 2010

Why dont they just start asking us to work for free!  At that rate I dont even think you make minimum wage!  This is obviously not even because of outsourcing.  I think what has happened is that a lot of work has gone overseas, but the remaining work that the transcription companies are getting is still paying a half-ways decent rate but they have taken a small cut to keep them.  Then they turn around and pay NOTHING to get it transcribed so the people running the companies a ...

Did Anyone Get Offered The Job For QTS?
Jul 13, 2012

Just wondering if anyone got the job offer from QTS? They sent me questions and answered my question and that was it. Thanks. ...

I Was Offered
Nov 08, 2014

Farewell Nuance.  My only regret is not taking this step sooner.  ...

Offered Job At Softscript
Jun 28, 2010

offered job at Softscript; anyone familiar with this company? ...

OT Was Offered Yesterday
May 18, 2010

x ...

Offered A Job By VMR-Transfer
May 18, 2010

I am one of the people who received a contract and was offered a job by VMR-Transfer, but when I called and emailed about hrs/lines/days required, my messages were never returned. I know there was a thread about this previously as many other people had the same problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually started working for them yet and if this really is a legitimate company. Thanks ...

Would Any Of You Take A Buyout From MQ If Offered?
Jun 20, 2010

In past months I have read on this board, with dismay, so many posts about long-time MQ MTs/MEs failing consecutive audits, and eventually being discharged. I think it is a major coincidence that so many employees are suddenly and consistently failing to meet the same quality standards they always met. I think it’s a flimsy contrivance to get rid of the more highly paid employees and replace them with cheaper newbies while avoiding an age discrimination actions because those higher-paid pe ...

Offered Job With Transtech
Jul 20, 2011

Is ANYone happy there? ...

Just Offered Position Of CCM
Oct 04, 2011

I'm certainly uncertain of taking such a position.  Is there anyone out there who has been/is a CCM and can tell me what it's like...pay, stress, pay, hours, pay, etc.  TIA ...

New Service Offered
May 21, 2012

psychiatrist at Wal-Mart for depression.   ...

Job Positions Offered
Jul 20, 2012

Which job position is more profitable MT/ME or Quality Analyst?  Does Quality Analyst ever run out of work?  Are both paid on production?  Pondering a position with M*Modal. I qualify for both positions is all I have been told thus far--have not really inquired further. ...

Proscript Or TTS? Been Offered Both.
Nov 08, 2013

x ...

Overtime Being Offered
Aug 12, 2014

There goes our weekend line count.  ...

Sheesh - First OT Offered And Now NJA - Anyone Else?
Sep 14, 2014

x ...

Again... OOW Due To OT Offered Yesterday
Jan 27, 2015

We were out of TAT once last week and since then if there are more than 2 (well maybe I am exaggerating here) jobs in the pools they open up OT.  Everyone needs to make money, so of course many of us come in and work.  Understandable.  But TSMs need to cut it off at some point so we don't wind up with nothing in the morning and slow, slow, slow to build up during the day once it is cleaned out at night.  They want you to come back in early afternoon and make up ...

Is Anyone Familiar With E-Trans? I Was Just Offered A Job With Them.
Mar 19, 2010

Alltype Has Offered Me An IC QA Editor Job But...
Jun 17, 2010

They require that I purchase professional liability insurance.  Does anyone work at Alltype as QA editor? and if so could I get you to message me?  I have a few questions.  This whole liability insurance thing just bothers me so much.  I make so little now as QA that to then have to shell out more money, I am considering just retiring and be done with this profession. Thanks ...

Offered VBC Line Rate
Jan 07, 2011

I have been offered a position for 0.08 VBC line/65 characters.  I can obviously figure this is going to be less than with spaces.  Is there anyone here who DOES get paid this way and if so, how much of a difference overall is it?  I have not accepted the position and am not sure how offended I should be, or if I should be offended at all since "this is the new industry standard."  I have been in this buisness a long time and have apparently never dealt with this "new" way of ...

Ask About Benefits, Etc. Before I Apply Or After Offered A Job? Sm
Feb 02, 2011

I have about 15 questions to ask about benefits, scheduling, training, pay per line, etc.  I was wondering if I should call all of the companies now before I put in the time and effort for testing and application or if I should wait until a job is offered to me?  Thanks for your help!  ...

Offered A Position With Keystrokes
Mar 08, 2011

Was just offered a position with Keystrokes.  Worth taking?  Some of these posts make me wonder.   ...

Offered A Position With Acusis
Jun 06, 2011

I was offered a position with Acusis. Am looking for information on the company as I cannot seem to find much recent info. Any help is appreciative. Thanks in advance ...