A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Doc dictates "F" word, direct quote, in psych eval? How would you type? - Tiny

Posted: May 18, 2012

I'm typing a psych eval. Doc  dictates the patient states "I don't give a f**k" I can't find the rules for typing profanity in BOS, but I did find in the psych eval section to type it as quoted. Anyone else know any different???

Quotes should be exactly what the pt said. - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]

BOS2 page 236 - Olive

[ In Reply To ..]
..... do not belong in a patient's record unless they are part of direct quotations...

Thank you to both of you! Guess I gotta type it. nm - Tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Of course you do, why would you think otherwise? - puzzled

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a quote, and unless your specific account has rules about quoting the patient, why would you even question typing it or not?

Reminds me of a thread here a long time ago with a similar question, but the MT didn't think she had to type it because the word offended her. LMAO! It's letters on a paper, or in our case, on a computer screen. I will never understand what is so offensive about typing a word.
I'm not offended in the least.....sm - Tiny
[ In Reply To ..]
I was under the impression that I had read somewhere that it was to be typed like this: F**K.

But, I do appreciate your sunny disposition! B***H
LOL - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
When I read this reply, I was thinking the exact same thing! Wonder who peed in her Cheerios this morning.
Me either, Puzzled. Now, using one to insult someone - for no good reason is contemptible. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
But it's "just a word"???? nm - also puzzled
[ In Reply To ..]
xx

from an old MT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I do it just like you put it in the post. It's less offensive and no meaning is lost. I have never had a complaint.

"Puzzled," you don't have to be a jerk. - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
She was just asking a question. There's no need for "LMAO!" We're talking about putting profanity in a patient's permanent medical record.

Original poster, if you have the BOS 3, look on the bottom of page 26. It does say to leave a blank and flag obscenities and derogatory remarks EXCEPT when directly quoted but also adds, "In instances where the inclusion is easily edited, do so to avoid misinterpretation or *the retention of an inappropriate abbreviation or term*."

I've never come across this situation before, but I would probably type it similar to the way you did in your post.

"Reminds me of a thread here a long time ago with a similar question, but the MT didn't think she had to type it because the word offended her. LMAO! It's letters on a paper, or in our case, on a computer screen. I will never understand what is so offensive about typing a word."

Similar Messages:

How Do I Respond To The Psych Eval Posting?
May 08, 2014

How do I respond to the Psych Eval MT position?  There is no email address given in the post and when I try to reply by MT Stars email it gives me a failure notice.  Thanks! ...

Fluency Direct Quote On MModal Facebook Page
Jul 18, 2013

I use Fluency Direct while I talk with patients in the exam rooms. I talk to the patients and dictate right into the system. A lot of patients think it is kind of cool that the software is doing the dictation. When I walk out of the room, my chart is kind of done." KIND OF???????? ugh ...

Dr. Dictates Gotten. Would You Type Gotten?
Mar 15, 2010

He has not gotten lost driving.   He has gotten a workup. ...

How Doyou Type 1:1 Psych Sitter?
May 10, 2012

How do you type 1:1 psych sitter (1:1 or one-to-one)? ...

Psych Word - S/l Down-tia-thymic
Mar 27, 2012

During a psych eval. Sentence is : Affect is congruent and he appears s/l down-tia-thymic. Thanks in advance. ...

Psych Word - (s/l Florid) Mania
Oct 08, 2012

It appears that he was exhibiting symptoms of ______ (s/l florid) mania.  Has anyone ever heard of this, or any idea what it could be? ...

Psych Word - Affect Is Labile And _____ (S/L Sil-lian)
Dec 17, 2011

Affect is labile and _____ (S/L sil-lian).  She is also manipulative.  Any ideas?    ...

He Dictates"He Is A Reportedly Healthy 3+ 10-year-old Child" Is This How It Should Be Type
Nov 17, 2009

NM ...

Doc Dictates "senna Docusate" As One Drug. How To Type?
Jun 05, 2010

sd ...

TT QA Eval.
Dec 01, 2010

What is acceptable score?  One that will make me feel "job safe." ...

...eval And Amp...?
Jan 16, 2012

Any idea on the amp part? I'm sure the first one is just evaluate. CHIEF COMPLAINT:  Partial airway obstruction, status post tracheal reconstruction, please evaluate and **amp**; scope if indicated. Thanks in advance. ...

If You Disagree With Something On Your Performance Eval
Jul 20, 2010

and you refuse to sign it, will it make a difference?  Or should one refuse to sign it and go over the head of your immediate supervisor since obviously your supervisor and you disagree? ...

NMS (med Eval Srvc) Netcaremd?
Dec 09, 2010

Has anyone heard of a company named NMS (medical evaluation services)?   netcaremd.com is in the email address.  Are they legit or is this a scam?  I cannot find them anywhere.  Thanks ...

To Quote Or Not To Quote?
Jan 11, 2010

Dictation on a patient in the ICU:  "...sedation held for drug holiday...".  Should the words "drug holiday" be in quotes because it's a slang term?  I know it's a legitimate form of medical therapy, and have heard the term thus used.  Thanks for any/all input.  ...

Because Or 'cause In A Quote
Sep 27, 2010

The doctor always quotes the patients as saying cause instead of because:  "Cause I didn't want to do it."  Do I type 'cause instead of because since it is a quote or just leave as cause.  Thanks. ...

Quote Of The Day
Apr 01, 2013

"Nothing is really work, unless you would rather be doing something else." ~ James M. Barrie So true. So very, very true. Love that James Barrie. ...

To Quote
Apr 08, 2013

Fluency supports transcriptionists and editors by facilitating the management of multiple labor sources (outsourced, in-house, hybrid) with varying workflow needs. Taken from the website. Do you think this suggests that at day̢۪s end when the docs download a ton of work most of it is outsourced? Could explain NJA. ...

Contractions In A Quote?
Oct 05, 2010

If the Dr. is quoting somebody else and uses a contraction, do you transcribe verbatim or expand the contraction. Ex: ...she got the advice to "don't be on it that much". Do I leave it don't or change it to do not? ...

Proper Way To Type A Word
Feb 08, 2010

Just wondering...what is the proper way of typing CO2? ...

Any Companies Where You Just Type Into Word?
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any companies left where you just type the reports into word? Or close to it? I'm looking for a part-time IC position like this, without the headaches of learning oodles and oodles of Account Specifics, adding attendings, intricate software, etc. Please name some companies like this for me. ...

Word Help: Type Of Swelling
Aug 05, 2010

Dermatologist says patient has "folliculitis type dermatitis.  He gets it on the hands, abdomen, even face hairs, and now he has one at left infraorbital area", then s/l  ferathemous or therathemus "swelling or pain".... I've been searching but haven't found the right word yet...anyone know what this is or can point me to a good place to look further? thanks, Cindy ...

Word Help-type Of Eye Procedure/exam
Mar 28, 2010

Pt with probable conjunctivitis.  I suspect this is something I know but am just not getting it.  "She has a clear cornea on s/l "bal-ma-scopy."  ...

Neuro Eval For Headache. There Is No Pain On S/l Bal-ak-man Of The Eyes Through Closed Eyelids.
Oct 01, 2014

x ...

Word Expanders - How To Make The Expansions Type
Jun 30, 2010

I am having a brain malfunction.  I cannot remember how to make the expansions type.  For example, tp for the patient,  it will not type out the patient.  What is the control for this?  Thanks. ...

Word Help - EGFR ____ Wild Type
May 23, 2013

This is a rad/onc report. Here is the sentence: "...woman with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer with neuroendocrine features, EGFR _________ wild type." The blank s/l either "and AOK" or "NAOK" Any clues anyone? Thanks in advance :) ...

This Sounded Familiar. It's A Quote From A Popular TV Series In The Late 1980s.
Nov 30, 2012

Episode Street of Shadows of The Twilight Zone series, originally aired 1/21/1989. CONSULTANT:  Very nice, very nice indeed. OWNER:  You’ll notice the growth in the 4th quarter profits. CONSULTANT:  Yeah, I can see that, but I still want the audit pushed through.  If there is any way we can cut back on expenses (salary, budget, personnel), do it. OWNER:  I have to tell you that there’s going to be some opposition.  They say they’re down to the ...

Instant Text, Shorthand, Fast Fox, Smart Type, Word Autocorrect
Apr 25, 2012

Need help choosing a new word expander!  TIA!  :) ...

Dictates Wet-to-drys
Aug 02, 2010

it as wet-to-drys or simply wet-to-dry? In context:  that wet-to-drys would be the best way to go     ...

ESL Doc Dictates (too Funny):
Feb 01, 2014

VR:              "Patient went out drinking CYANIDE (and soon felt sick).  DICTATED:   "Patient went out drinking SATURDAY NIGHT (and soon felt sick).   VR:              "Patient has allergy to  P _  N I S." DICTATED:   "Patient has allergy to  P E A N U T S." ...

Sutures - Doc Dictates S/l 14-0 Ef A Lon Was Used For Closure
Nov 19, 2009

Morning all - looking for suture name/type.  Doc dictates s/l 14-0 ef a lon was used for closure.  Pt. had sharp dissection of nose lesion.  Thank you! ...