A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bankrupt - schanuzermom

Posted: Aug 15, 2012

The company I have editted for since last fall has gone under owing me for work done in July.  What now?

Judge Judy!! She's the boss, applesauce. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I don't know if that's a job for the Labor Board - or Small Claims Court, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
if a judgement is made in your favor (and why wouldn't it be?), then if they don't pay, you could put a lien on property of theirs that can be sold to pay you back. (Office equipment, PCs, servers, printers, copiers, etc.) Real estate, too, if they own they property they work out of.

Actually, some real estate is protected under bankruptcy laws. nm - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If they're not incorporated, maybe it's possible - to sue the owner personally?

[ In Reply To ..]
Nab his boat, his Lexus, or his Persian rugs, perhaps.

If you have documented proof that they owe you... - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
and if they truly filed for bankruptcy, try to find out who the attorney was who handles the bankruptcy and make sure you are on their list of creditors owed. That way you and her other creditors listed on the bankruptcy should be paid first. Otherwise, file a judgment against them and with documented proof of what they owe, your judgment should be amongst the others filing suit against them. good luck!

schaunuzermom - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to find out where the bankruptcy was filed. You will then need to petition as a creditor and get in line for all of the other creditors for some kind of a settlement, probably 10 cents on the dollar if you are lucky. You need to do this in a timely manner. Write a letter to the Bankruptcy Referee, enclosing copies of all invoices, agreements, etc. Although I wish you good luck, I wouldn't hold my breath.

thanks - schnauzermom

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to get all my ducks in a row so to speak and get rolling with an attorney probably by Monday.

Similar Messages:

Will SOP To Bankrupt MTSOs?
Oct 16, 2012

From what I am hearing about the financial difficulties and downsizing of many MTSOs, I suspect that their SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) are going to bankrupt them. Will we go back to ICs working directly for the doctors/facility? Isn't it a matter of downloading a free platform or utilizing a server for MTs that encrypts? Here is where the MTSO are losing money: Clients not informed of horrid sound quality, taking the MTs a lot of extra time to decipher. Doctors are not trai ...

Bankrupt Spheris Wants To Pay Workers In Cash
Mar 13, 2010

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100313/BUSINESS01/3130330/1003/NEWS01   So many workers are taking time off that Spheris Inc., currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and waiting to be sold to a rival, is concerned that it won't be able to finish all its medical transcription chores for clients in a timely manner. The Franklin-based company wants U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to pay its employees in cash for up to 40 hours of accrued and unused leave time so they'll stay ...

Bankrupt Spheris Wants To Pay Their Workrs In Cash
Mar 13, 2010

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100313/BUSINESS01/3130330/1003/NEWS01   So many workers are taking time off that Spheris Inc., currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and waiting to be sold to a rival, is concerned that it won't be able to finish all its medical transcription chores for clients in a timely manner. The Franklin-based company wants U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to pay its employees in cash for up to 40 hours of accrued and unused leave time so they'll stay on the ...