A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ask about benefits, etc. before I apply or after offered a job? sm - dee

Posted: Feb 02, 2011

I have about 15 questions to ask about benefits, scheduling, training, pay per line, etc.  I was wondering if I should call all of the companies now before I put in the time and effort for testing and application or if I should wait until a job is offered to me?  Thanks for your help! 

ASKING ABOUT BENEFITS, SCHEDULE, ETC - TIRED MT/GOING BEHIND

[ In Reply To ..]
I just received an e-mail stating one company had received my application and copy of my resume and "I would hear from them soon." I guess I feel pretty confident this morning because I e-mailed back a list of my expectations for a position, stating I had recently been tested and interviewed, and had to decline positions for some of the same expectations cited.

I am not sure how that will go over, but I am really sick of thinking that after 30 years experience I have to start at the bottom and that in my present position people are coming on and being paid the same amount as I. I guess I am quite frustrated, and probably did not answer your question, but again it felt good.

I hear a lot about new hires getting paid less. Maybe that - knowledge will make you feel better, too. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Halleluhah to you! I think that is wonderful - sm - Sam

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so tired of jumping through hoops for companies only to have them tell me AFTER that they only pay XXX (crap money). Ridiculous. Why should I get the same pay as anyone who has so much less experience than me? They are basically getting my knowledge and vast experience for nothing. No way. Good for you for standing up for yourself!

I always try to gather whatever info I can BEFORE testing because if you are paying me a measly line count, I am not interested in wasting my time testing.

Disagree that 30 years gets you more money in this field - 30 years MT 2

[ In Reply To ..]
The client pays for a final document. They don't really care if you have 3 years or 30 years experience. You'd think with 30 years experience, you'd actually make more based on tricks of the trade that you've honed over the years.

There are MTs with 3 years experience who are just as capable of producing 100% accurate documents in a reasonable amt of time as someone with 30.

This field has never really been about how many years experience you have, but about the final product.

I hope you get a response from your lead and that you aren't shooting yourself in the foot.

30 Years MT 2 - Your post is what many do not understand. - Ancient MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The number of years experience an MT has does not matter much to anyone, although my company does not hire anyone with less than 10 years experience. They will not waste time on someone learning any particular specialty or BOS. You should know it all. The only thing they want to offer assistance with initially is their platform and the account specifics.

That being said, the pay is the same for everyone. Companies are doing that across the board for transcription and editing. You can take it or leave it. If I only have 10 years experience and the OP has 30, they do not care. What you said is so true. By now, she should have learned tricks of the trade to turning 7 cpl into at least $35,000, 8 cpl to $40,000, 9 cpl to $45,000 or more, and so on. Same thing applies to VR. Most of the time the number of years experience you have is how you personally increase your income because you are actually more experienced and faster than a younger MT. In the end, all that matters is the finished product.

The days of 15-20-30 year MTs expecting to make more are gone. The line rate is the same for everyone and it is up to you what you do with it.
Agree with you both: Valuable, anti-silly perspective - perspective on years in field. NM Pragmatist.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
True! When I realized MTSO was not going to change - business practices b/c I was unhappy SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I knew I had to learn to work the system. What I make or where I work is really irrelevant. Bottom line is what my check is, what did I make $ per hour? I dont care how business is done as long as I meet my personal goals as to the size of my paycheck. And I look at skills as part of the paycheck puzzle. Tweaking to increase what you make per hour while also decreasing how hard you have to work
3 sensible useful responses in a row now. Wow! :) - Pragmatist NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Dee, why would a busy personnel clerk - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
spend valuable time answering your questions before they had any reason to think they wanted you? (A company without applicants and desperate to hire might be glad to, but who's that and why?) Second question, what clues might they think they were getting about you from your questions? This would be their first impression, after all, and if negative it may well be matched to a following application even if you don't give your name.

BTW, I once worked temp for two weeks as a front-desk personnel clerk at a busy university and was very surprised to find my job was not just to answer phones, but to make the first cut. People came in to apply in those days, and if the person and application made a good impression on me I told them they'd be called back for an interview (with a "real" personnel person too busy for all this). All my amateur discards were...discards. So make those first contacts count.

Health insurance is a real potential third rail, by the way--never suggest that you're anything but outrageously healthy or that your interest is more than just keeping costs down, and NEVER ask about it right off the bat, just add that question in later on, casually, just another on your list. Average age for this field is in the 50s, with older people greatly outnumbering young ones, and providing affordable coverage to way too many sickies is a real problem for employers.

If you have a hard requirement or 2 (can only work weekends and 3rd shift, will only do heavy ESL) by all means call and sift first--if they can answer your brisk questions in about 10 seconds or less.

Good luck.

Health insurance - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree with you on the issue of health insurance, it's actually been a deal breaker for me on several MTSO jobs. I'm in my 50s but healthy and only routinely go to the doctor. However, I only have one income and having to pay a large portion of the premium out of pocket with deductibles of $1000 or more is an issue and something that I do need to know before accepting a job and learning the hard way. We are the ones paying for it, I think it's a legitimate question.

Benefits, yes. Pay, no. - No message

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Company reply - LT-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's flip that script:

Company: I was wondering if I should bother to test this person because I have no clue if a) their resume is accurate b) they are reliable c) they are resourceful d) they won't need their hand held.

You take the test to see if you are even eligible to work there. Why would a company want to invest time and effort in you at that point in the process?

MTSO doesnt wonder if should test you. They NEED you. - They have to test MT or no work done. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Is It Appropriate To Ask About Benefits Before You Apply For A Job Posting?
Jun 16, 2011

I sent an email to the recruiter for Keystrokes asking that very question, but never got a response.  I don't think its crazy to want to know about their benefits, or the pay, before you even bother to go through the whole process of applying and testing.  Am I wrong? Set me straight folks!  Thanks!  ...

Wow!! I Was Just Offered 2 Cpl To QA!!
Jan 20, 2010

Why dont they just start asking us to work for free!  At that rate I dont even think you make minimum wage!  This is obviously not even because of outsourcing.  I think what has happened is that a lot of work has gone overseas, but the remaining work that the transcription companies are getting is still paying a half-ways decent rate but they have taken a small cut to keep them.  Then they turn around and pay NOTHING to get it transcribed so the people running the companies a ...

Did Anyone Get Offered The Job For QTS?
Jul 13, 2012

Just wondering if anyone got the job offer from QTS? They sent me questions and answered my question and that was it. Thanks. ...

I Was Offered
Nov 08, 2014

Farewell Nuance.  My only regret is not taking this step sooner.  ...

Offered Job At Softscript
Jun 28, 2010

offered job at Softscript; anyone familiar with this company? ...

OT Was Offered Yesterday
May 18, 2010

x ...

Offered A Job By VMR-Transfer
May 18, 2010

I am one of the people who received a contract and was offered a job by VMR-Transfer, but when I called and emailed about hrs/lines/days required, my messages were never returned. I know there was a thread about this previously as many other people had the same problem. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually started working for them yet and if this really is a legitimate company. Thanks ...

Would Any Of You Take A Buyout From MQ If Offered?
Jun 20, 2010

In past months I have read on this board, with dismay, so many posts about long-time MQ MTs/MEs failing consecutive audits, and eventually being discharged. I think it is a major coincidence that so many employees are suddenly and consistently failing to meet the same quality standards they always met. I think it’s a flimsy contrivance to get rid of the more highly paid employees and replace them with cheaper newbies while avoiding an age discrimination actions because those higher-paid pe ...

Offered Job With Transtech
Jul 20, 2011

Is ANYone happy there? ...

Just Offered Position Of CCM
Oct 04, 2011

I'm certainly uncertain of taking such a position.  Is there anyone out there who has been/is a CCM and can tell me what it's like...pay, stress, pay, hours, pay, etc.  TIA ...

New Service Offered
May 21, 2012

psychiatrist at Wal-Mart for depression.   ...

Job Positions Offered
Jul 20, 2012

Which job position is more profitable MT/ME or Quality Analyst?  Does Quality Analyst ever run out of work?  Are both paid on production?  Pondering a position with M*Modal. I qualify for both positions is all I have been told thus far--have not really inquired further. ...

Proscript Or TTS? Been Offered Both.
Nov 08, 2013

x ...

Overtime Being Offered
Aug 12, 2014

There goes our weekend line count.  ...

Sheesh - First OT Offered And Now NJA - Anyone Else?
Sep 14, 2014

x ...

Again... OOW Due To OT Offered Yesterday
Jan 27, 2015

We were out of TAT once last week and since then if there are more than 2 (well maybe I am exaggerating here) jobs in the pools they open up OT.  Everyone needs to make money, so of course many of us come in and work.  Understandable.  But TSMs need to cut it off at some point so we don't wind up with nothing in the morning and slow, slow, slow to build up during the day once it is cleaned out at night.  They want you to come back in early afternoon and make up ...

Help -- How Do I Apply For PTO?
Oct 21, 2010

TIA for your help. ...

Should I Re-apply?
Nov 20, 2010

I applied to RI Unlimited 3 months ago and never heard back--should I reapply?  I got emails saying that I passed everything and then they said I would hear back but never did.  What is your advice? Thanks. ...

How Do You Apply For MTS Job?
Jan 26, 2011

I'm interested in applying for the MTS job posted, but I can't find a place on their web site to send a resume.  What am I missing?  I called the 800 number and it just had a menu for unrelated departments. ...

Should I Even Apply?
Sep 04, 2012

I just got an e-mail from a recruiter from Nuance asking me if I would like to apply for a job; i.e. they took over my former place of employment's transcription department and I had originally applied so I could stay on, but then decided not to-thus they still had my contact info. The recruiter said that they had merged with Transcend and that there was plenty of work, etc. I do need a job as my unemployment benefits will be running out by the beginning of the new year, or sooner if phas ...

How To Apply At MQ
Jun 21, 2013

How do I apply for work at MQ?  ...

Trying To Apply
Jul 08, 2014

Trying to apply at the Mmodal website but MT doesn't come up as an open job.  Are they still under a hiring freeze? ...

Is Anyone Familiar With E-Trans? I Was Just Offered A Job With Them.
Mar 19, 2010

Employee Offered Insurance... Not Really Better Than My Own??
Jun 03, 2010

I am new to the MTSO thing.  IC for 10 years and bought my own health insurance.  It was $242.00 a month, and I let it go a few months ago after losing my job.  Now I am being offered by my employer an HSA plan for around the same amount or a PPO plan for around $300.00.  (this is them paying 60% and me paying 40% and that is what it equals??) This seems OUTRAGEOUS.  Am I crazy?  I am single, no children, spouse... under 30.... What is some opinions on going with ...

Alltype Has Offered Me An IC QA Editor Job But...
Jun 17, 2010

They require that I purchase professional liability insurance.  Does anyone work at Alltype as QA editor? and if so could I get you to message me?  I have a few questions.  This whole liability insurance thing just bothers me so much.  I make so little now as QA that to then have to shell out more money, I am considering just retiring and be done with this profession. Thanks ...

Offered VBC Line Rate
Jan 07, 2011

I have been offered a position for 0.08 VBC line/65 characters.  I can obviously figure this is going to be less than with spaces.  Is there anyone here who DOES get paid this way and if so, how much of a difference overall is it?  I have not accepted the position and am not sure how offended I should be, or if I should be offended at all since "this is the new industry standard."  I have been in this buisness a long time and have apparently never dealt with this "new" way of ...

Offered A Position With Keystrokes
Mar 08, 2011

Was just offered a position with Keystrokes.  Worth taking?  Some of these posts make me wonder.   ...

Offered A Position With Acusis
Jun 06, 2011

I was offered a position with Acusis. Am looking for information on the company as I cannot seem to find much recent info. Any help is appreciative. Thanks in advance ...

TTS - I Was Offered A Job But They Didn't Follow Up.
Aug 17, 2011

What is up with this company?    Maybe they lost accounts but at least they could have let me know so I'm not just waiting for training. ...

Looking For Opinions, I've Been Offered At Job At A Small,
Apr 24, 2012

one-doctor, one-nurse practitioner office that is 10 minutes from home in my small town where I will make $12 an hour or I could continue to work from home averaging basically the same rate of pay being paid on production.  I'm not sure which to choose. I like working from home, but the in-office job is Monday through Friday, 9 to 5.  No working late to get my lines or working weekends, but it also means an investment in some new clothes because it has been a very long time since ...