A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Article - Transcription Holy Grail - mte

Posted: Dec 30, 2009

Here's a link to another article regarding tyrannical QA editors, how it takes a highly skilled professional to input medical data, etc.

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/062209p14.shtml

Unfortunately, even if there were an agreed-upon QA standard - it would not solve other issues

[ In Reply To ..]
The dream of establishing an entirely objective quality standard with 100% buy-in up and down the documentation chain is admirable, but the real problem is that there are systemic impediments to implementing any standard, including those we have now that are reasonably objective and enjoy broad agreement.

First, there is the disinclination of the customer to control the quality of the input (the dictation) - which in effect forms the "specifications" for the "customized product" that the documentation process produces.

Imagine that you operated a custom widget factory. Customers can come in, order a widget according to their specifications, those specs are evaluated, turned into machine instructions, and eventually the widget pops off the end of the assembly line.

But wait! Now, let's suppose that our customer walks in with anything from an engineering drawing replete with parts list, while another customer walks in with some scribbles and sketches on the back of a coffee-stained napkin.

And, let's suppose further that this stained-napkin customer might walk in on Tuesday with a demand for one widget, on Wednesday with a demand for 50 widgets, none on Thursday, and 100 on Friday...in each case, his order having to be filled by end of business that day.

And now, let's suppose further than you have not just one such customer, but a hundred of them.

...and every one of their widgets, regardless of the quality, completeness, legibility, etc. of their specification, is to be produced to 99% quality standards, regardless of how many there are, within the allotted time. Your "assembly line" has to be sufficiently elastic to accommodate any conceivable number of orders, and it shouldn't cost you too much in overhead on the days when it's only utilized at 10% of capacity.

But wait! We have another supposin' to do, because these customers are simultaneously demanding that you shorten your production time while reducing your prices "or they'll take their business to the widget factory down the street"...and of course, if they do so, it won't be long before they're making the same demands with THAT widget factory owner. And, it really doesn't matter very much to these customers whether their demands ultimately result in a situation that is fiscally and operationally impossible for the widget factory owners in town...because they can always order widgets from Pakistan.

The presumption behind this article, as well as the quality draft standard from AHDI that it mentions, is that the customers want quality. What the presumptions fail to address is that quality - HOWEVER it is ultimately defined - costs money, and the customers in healthcare these days DO NOT WANT TO PAY THE PRICE.

Holy Grail - jaytee

[ In Reply To ..]
You said it just perfectly! Send your response in to For the Record. :)

"Holy cr@p" is more like it.................. - BOS = Bunch of ____. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Article About Low Wages In Transcription
Mar 22, 2015

Interesting article in the latest For the Record, the AHIMA magazine, about the low pay most companies offer.http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/0315p18.shtml ...

Article Stating To Keep Medical Transcription In
Dec 29, 2012

http://www.ahdpg.com/blog/a-call-out-to-u-s-hospitals-to-help-put-americans-back-to-work/ ...

Article Regarding Transcription Error By An Indian
Apr 22, 2013

Of course this could happen to any one of us, but it's interesting that the article points out the terrible quality of the reports being done in India.  This particular MT transcribed the incorrect insulin dosage that ultimately led to the death of the patient.  Proofread, proofread, proofread.  We already know that, but it doesn't hurt to spread the word.  We're all so production oriented these days given our excessively low pay, but we still need to be so inc ...

Article - Dictation And Transcription Will Be Under Increased Scrutiny
Dec 29, 2009

We'll see how this shakes out but what it looks like, according to this article, is that security will be forefront. To me this means that the vampire squids (the suits) who live and die for widespread databases will need to figure out how they can make their systems more secure. I think they can't if they continue the road their on. See below for recent article link.  http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/122109p10.shtml ...

Article - HIPAA Targets - Dictation And Transcription
Jan 13, 2010

Below is the link to the article called HIPAA Targets and it talks about how dictation and transcription are going to be under increased scrutiny. The one paragraph that caught my eye was this: "Casto also points to the number of outsourced companies that work directly off the Internet, opening themselves up for breaches. “A lot of people would be shocked as to how many of those companies have an FTP site that works off the Internet,” he notes." This info needs to be widely spread ...

AARP Article Recommending Transcription To Seniors
Oct 27, 2013

A friend has written to inform me that the latest AARP magazine has an article recommending transcription to seniors as a viable source of side income. At first I laughed.  Now I'm mad. I have looked on AARP.org to find said article, but I can't locate it.  I have googled it, to no avail.  My friend is not tech savvy enough to scan it and e-mail it to me.  Anybody out there receive this magazine?  I would like to actually read this thing.     ...

Holy Cow
Mar 09, 2014

I came back to see how everyone was doing only to find this.  My new job is hard on the legs, but doing okay for only being there a total of 7 whole days.  When I worked for MModal (Medquist) things were tough, but not terrible.  I'm kind of in shock over this.  ...

HOLY COW!!!
May 21, 2015

I am glad I'm sitting down. QA,TH, is actually transcribing!!! Put this on the calendar. I would love to audit her work because if it is anything like her emails, QA would have a field day w/that! Would love to pick her work apart like she does everyone else's, and not encouragingly either. Would love to see how she likes it... ...

Holy Cr*ap Batman
Mar 22, 2010

Got an RN dictating alphabet soup -- ER, CHF, CAD, CABG, INR, DOE, JVD, TURP. . . a medication that she can't get close enough to pronouncing for me to get close enough to spelling, and then to top it all off, a hgb of 113.7.  Nothing on previous report look-up is a help for this one! But I bet she got a raise -- not a pay cut ~~ ...

Holy Water
Jul 05, 2011

The wound was irrigated with Holy/Wholly water?  I have seen it both ways in old reports, can anyone clarify?  Thanks ...

I Don't Know How Old This Is But Holy Crap!
Apr 16, 2012

The US Department of Justice has confirmed that it is conducting an antitrust investigation of Nuance Communications. The investigation is looking at Nuance's acquisition of Philips Speech Recognition Systems from Royal Philips Electronics for $96.1 million in October 2008. There has been concern since the purchase that Nuance has essentially taken control of the world's medical transcription market. Nuance's acquisitions, which have sometimes been preceded by submitting target co ...

Holy Crap, I Can't Believe What I Just Did....
Jul 05, 2013

I quit!! Nicely, but said today was my last and I was moving on with my career choices.  bah!!!  Just waiting for my first day at Amphion. ...

Holy Cow What Happened To ASR
Mar 23, 2014

it is worse than EVER...I have the clearest dictator I have had in a while and the things that are printing our are simply amazing. I need to get away from this place, I think it is seriously time to start exploring other options. ...

Holy Cow...BREATHE !!!
May 15, 2015

You don't have to do the entire dictation in one breath, honest. And stop slurring..Gonna be a loooonnng day I can see it already. ...

Holy Cow. 66 Pages To Print Out
Nov 23, 2009

for the MDI merg-ees.  That used about 1/2 printer cartridge, took at least an hour of time and I have yet to fill them out.  This working at home is getting more expensive and aggravating all the time. ...

HOLY SMOKES, I Must Be Dreaming!
Oct 25, 2014

THANK GOSH I'm not working my "regular primaries" anymore ... the accounts I've been working on for the past 5 years are almost ALL completely indecipherable accents from every country on the globe but since the new switch I haven't had even ONE single report from those accounts but the new ones I'm being routed are vanilla-accented, plain English-speaking and normal-speed midwesterners in Kansas and Oklahoma.  Those of you who have always worked on these accounts until ...

Holy Smokes ... If You Think WE Have It Bad, Check Out The Nuance Forum
Dec 03, 2014

New pay plan was just announced and is going into effect ... WOW ... what a mess.  Reading that page will make you want to count your blessings with MMoral.  ...

Holy Yikes..got An Email From MedQ With All Email Addresses
Nov 17, 2011

I am sure these are closely guarded as they would let MTs actually communicate with each other..and that would be a no no.. MTs might actually band together ...

S/l "holy" Dissector (used In Cholecystectomy)
Mar 04, 2011

Looking for instrument term  s/l "holy" dissector. ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...