A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone see this about info breach NY Hospital? - wise1

Posted: Sep 28, 2010

Hospital: Info on 6,800 patients leaked online

The Associated Press
Bookmark and Share
email this story to a friend E-Mail print story Print
Text Size:

tool name

close
tool goes here

NEW YORK -- A New York City hospital has apologized for a security lapse that allowed personal information belonging to as many as 6,800 former patients to be published on the Internet.

New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center said the information included names, clinical data and a few Social Security numbers.

The hospital said in a statement Monday that the data had been inadvertently placed on a server that was accessible online. The information has now been taken down.

The New York Times first reported the story. The newspaper said the security lapse happened in July.

The hospital said it deeply regretted the breach and would contact all the people affected by it. No evidence exists that any of the personal data has been used improperly.

Read more: http://www.bnd.com/2010/09/27/1416591/nyc-hospital-info-on-6800-patients.html#ixzz10pWdy7yU

The idea that medical records will stay confidential is...sm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]
just plain crazy with the implimentation of EMR. It just won't happen. We will be seeing many more breaches in the future.

Future? There have been so many in the past people are immune - to the consequences. It hasnt affected SM

[ In Reply To ..]
them yet, probably wont affect them in the future and so what, who cares?

Who cares? Professional criminal syndicates, for instance. - Poppy

[ In Reply To ..]
Record confidentiality in the Information Age isn't just a healthcare issue. This goes across the board, across all industries, across the planet. In future people will shake their heads in amazement at how sloppily people's valuable information was handled in the past.
But for now they don't care. - So what, who cares??? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Almost all major newspapers are on line now. Pick a good one - or two and get acquainted with your world. :)
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the Information Age. Our worlds are no longer bounded by where the track disappears around the bend. Unless we insist they be, of course.
Report in paper just ink. When change comes then I will know - that people really care. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It's up to us to make people care. We are the soldiers - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
on the front lines. People don't care because people outside the healthcare industry don't understand or don't realize. It's up to us to make people understand. To ask people "did you know that your medical records could end up in India?" How secure are servers in India? How protected is a person's health information when it leaves the borders of the United States. Not protected at all! HIPAA laws don't extend past our borders. So your information can be posted on the internet by an Indian MT or service and there is not a darn thing you can do about.

EXCEPT... you can demand to know what happens to your EMR, who sees your EMR. You can tell your healthcare providers that you absolutely do not want your information to leave this country.

I get so tired of the "who cares" attitude. We all should care! It's our job to care. Part of our job is protecting the patient! We are part of the Health Information Management department. It is our job to manage patient information and make sure it is secure and protected. That's why we all sign confidentiality agreements and if we work in hospitals, we have to pass HIPAA training. Because IT IS OUR JOB!
I DO tell everyone I can but NOBODY cares. I will keep telling others - and will fall over the first person that seems con
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
... that seems concerned. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Informed people DO care. Change HAS come. Why else would - Read. Understand your world.
[ In Reply To ..]
it be discussed here at all if it weren't? These resentful little posts are in response to the change that has already occurred, is occurring, and will occur. Lots of smart, knowledgeable people are busy working away at it right now.
Oh, you mean like the republicans who just killed the bill to end - tax credits for sending work OS? See, I read nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Bit of a tangent and apparently shortest book ever, but okay. - :) NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
What book?! Above post talking about newpapers, not books. - Comprehend much or just guess?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Sorry, reading newspapers is also great. I have 3 of the best in the country - Mea Culpa
[ In Reply To ..]
waiting on line each morning totally free. Like strolling down a breakfast buffet at a great hotel.
How many phone calls of outrage have made about this issue? - How many letters have you sent? Or are you like S
[ In Reply To ..]
most citizens, sitting back, waiting for "them" to take of the problem (whoever "them" are?) Most people think so what, who cares.

Info leak - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, if I were one of those patients I would be contacting (a) the ACLU and (b) my own private attorney (he's a good pit bull type). There is no excuse for this.

Similar Messages:

Matching Hospital Info On Files
Jul 30, 2013

I have been an MT for a very long time.  I remember when MTSOs first came about, we were not really required to make sure specific work types went to specific folders or do all of the hospital specifics such as that.  We sent our work to our MTSO and it was someone elses responsibility to make sure it found its right place in the hospital chart. Today, the MTSO that I work for deducts THREE points off of your score if you mismatch something in the database, so if you do this, you auto ...

Info. Needed On Transcriptionists Who Work In The Hospital.
Mar 10, 2010

Hi all, I was just wondering what a transcriptionist in a hospital makes per hour compared to working for a large transcription company at home.  The job I am seeing is for a part time transcriptionist, so I am assuming no benefits would come with it, not sure.  Thanks for any information! ...

Did Anybody Hear About A Breach
Aug 12, 2013

Did anybody hear about a recent breach of confidentiality by an "offshore partner?"  I got a whiff of this and was unable to verify on Google... just curious if it has happened (again).  ...

Another Medical Record Breach
Apr 05, 2010

Below is a link to another breach of medical records. We can directly blame the fact that today's medical records largely dwell on the internet. Lest some of you come back with "but without the internet, we would not have jobs", let me tell you that we got along without the internet previously and had higher pay because the offshore vultures could not get at the records and we were in higher demand. We can do it again.   http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/ ...

HIPAA Data Breach
May 02, 2010

I am reading far too many cases of MTs being fired/threatened for copying the wrong doctor on a report.  While this constitutes an error, it does not (NOT) constitute a HIPAA breach.  HIPAA law is being wielded like an axe by misinformed management, with the regulations being used to threaten and fire a huge segment of the American workforce.  MTs fired for a "cc" issue need to report their job loss to their state labor department as well as the department of health and human se ...

Very Scary. Another Breach Of Medical
Dec 21, 2010

dictation found on the internet back in 2008.  Just now reporting this apparently to the general public.  Just saw this on Facebook.  ...

Probity/Nuance Data Breach
Jun 09, 2014

Anyone get a notice of data security incident from PayTime regarding a hackers getting payroll information on MTs? OMG the list of information they got for me includes SS#, direct deposit bank account, DOB, phone number, home address, hire date, wage information . . . This is just so frustrating!! ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Info On Accentus US Ambulatory? Is It Associated With Nuance? Any Info Appreciated. NmNm
Feb 18, 2014

Xx ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...

Hospital Job?
May 14, 2011

Just curious if anyone has a remote (long-distance) position with a hospital.  If so, did you have to work inhouse initially before being able to go home or not? My last employer (the current one MTSO I work for stinks so bad I don't even consider them an employer!) was a hospital that was part of a chain.  Of 50 MTs, there was one in Canada, one in Mexico, and one in China.  However, I'm fairy certain that they were Americans who lived locally and then subsequently mov ...

Seriously Hospital
Oct 06, 2014

Why can they not get this hospital to fix this? The only place I notice it is the OR dictations, so that narrows it down doesn't it? And today, is the worst I have heard it in a while.. ...

Cap THE In The Children's Hospital?
Nov 10, 2009

Consequently, we will educate ourselves on this particular disease as well as obtain medical records from the Children's Hospital. ...

Hospital Pay--is This A JOKE?
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

Hospital MT Pay Rate?
May 28, 2010

Hi everyone! I have been doing MT from home for about 20 years now.  I have been offered a position at a local hospital doing MT on a per diem basis.  Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of pay to expect?   Thank you. ...

Update On The Hospital Job
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks to everyone who responded and I did call on this job but it was an evening job 3-11 so even though it was 18 bucks an hour that does not work for me have children at home...so back to looking into the MTSO companies and finding the best one out there - if anyone has suggestions let me know ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

Getting A Hospital NEVER Received Before, Sm
Jan 11, 2011

Started getting these clinic notes from a hospital definitely not in my region and dictators are not giving out any correct information as to attending or medical record #'s.  what to do when the subjective info on vital signs cannot even be understood at all.  I PRIDE myself on quality work, and have been here at Q for 18 years.  I already took pay cuts, and don't know what to do as QA sup and CCM are not answering, nor is MQMail updated at all.  I am sure they are ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Departments In Hospital
Feb 18, 2011

When typing the name of a department in a hospital, do you capitalize it?  Such as: We consulted Pulmonology. ...

Working For A Hospital
Feb 23, 2011

Does anybody out there work at home for a hospital, not a transcription company.  How do they handle the running out of work situation - do they expect you to use your PTO or take it without pay.  Are they more flexible with scheduling - I was hoping for some place that might say you have to work 8 hours a day anytime between say 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  Do they still pay by the line, and less for speech recognition? ...

Hospital Work
Feb 28, 2011

Anyone out there work for Wellspan in Pennsylvania? ...

Working PRN For Hospital? See Msg.
May 12, 2011

Been doing this at home for 15+ years and going for a job interview to work p.r.n. for a local hospital.  Not sure of the details as of yet but if anyone out there has any input from their own experience on what exactly being an in-house p.r.n. transcriptionist is all about, please share.  Pros, cons, how the scheduling works, etc.  Thanks!  :) ...

Hospital Sitters?
Sep 28, 2011

Does anyone know what a hospital sitter gets paid and what qualifications they need?  Maybe this would be a good thing to get into as we lose more and more opportunities in the MT field.  ...

Contingency Job In Hospital
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone know how it works if you are hired as contingent in a hospital?  Do you have to have certain hours you are available?  There's a contingent transcription job I'm thinking of applying to just to get my foot in the door at a local hospital, but I work full time elsewhere (still MT), so I wonder if this would work. ...

Hospital Select?
Apr 17, 2012

Patient is in the skilled nursing wing. Doctor dictates that s/l "hospital select has been consulted"- is Hospital Select an organization that needs caps? Hyphens? Does it even exist? Thanks in advance. ...

Hospital Transcription
Sep 06, 2012

Does anyone know of any hospitals in the U.S. currently hiring experienced MTs? I am in need of a good job with benefits that I can do from home. Please e-mail me with your response. Thanks in advance. ...

Working With A New Hospital And
Feb 26, 2013

in the labs, the doctors keep referring to "the CMS" (shows potassium...CO2...ALT...). For the life of me, this old MT cannot figure out what CMS stands for other than the name of a lab, and I don't believe that is it.  Any thoughts? ...