A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any input appreciated re: front-desk optometry office work - Ex-MT

Posted: Jun 21, 2012

I'm a former MT who decided I couldn't live "peaceably" with VR (LOL) and left MT a few months ago.  I've had some trouble finding a job outside of MT since then, though.  I'm willing to branch out, but I suspect that after many, many years of doing MT, some employers aren't willing to take a chance that I'd be happy long-term in a less-challenging job.  (The applications I most often get a response from are medical-type jobs.)  Maybe they're right, but I'd sure be willing to give it a good try if I could just get the chance!   

I've come to the conclusion that front desk/reception in a medical office isn't quite what I want because of the pressure, stress, and sometimes high anxiety of the patients you have to serve, though I sure admire those who can do that kind of work!  I'm just at a point in my life where I'd like a little less stress than that.  

I have an interview coming up soon for a front desk position at an eye doctor's office (optometry, not ophthalmology).  It involves greeting, scheduling, misc. office/customer duties, taking payments, closing out for the day...that type of thing.  Can anyone here comment on whether this type of office might be less intense than a medical office, or is it a similar kind of thing?  Just looking for any input, if you happen to have an opinion.  

It seems like it would be less emotional than dealing with patients who are ill, but I wonder if I'm just trying to convince myself of that.  I know every job like this has peaks and lulls in their hectic times, and the number of doctors in the office can make a big difference.  I like being busy enough that the day doesn't drag...but "tear-your-hair-out" busy, I can do without.  :-D  

TIA!

I've done both - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In the past, I worked as a receptionist in a Family Practice office and also later on in an optometrist's office. I would much prefer the busier office. I guess it would depend on how busy the optometrist is, but I was bored out of my mind and I was a temp, so it did not last long. I would go back to reception in a heartbeat, I loved it. Patients were not terribly sick and very friendly for the most part. I enjoyed working on the phone, verifying insurance, some billing, it was a small office. The only reason I can't do reception any more is because I am not bilingual and that is required in the area where I live. I did not think it was stressful. Doctor saw patients 3 to 5 hours a day, and the rest of the day was easy. I also got a chance to do some back office, which was okay. I would go with a small single practitioner office, multiple docs would probably be too busy for me too.

Food for thought - thanks, MT. - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the insight, MT. I'll try to get a feel about the boredom factor. That's big for me, too....and the reason I quit my bank teller job yeeears ago -- O.K. during the bouts of customer activity, but nothing to do in between customers. Told to pretend to look busy if a customer came into the lobby. That sure made the days drag by.

Anyone else's thoughts would be gladly welcomed, too!

My 2 cents - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My first exposure to MT was while working in the front office of 2 physical therapists. It was a busy office, and I scheduled, filed insurance and posted payments, and transcribed reports. I even cleaned up treatment rooms in between patient visits (wiped down tables, pulled fresh paper from a roll down onto the tables), and also threw used towels in the washer, put them in the dryer, folded them, and stacked them under treatment tables. It was waaaay fun and kept me busy, which I enjoyed. If the pay hadn't been so dismal, I would have stayed.

The thing that made this job fun was that it was a one-gal office. I enjoyed maintaining a calm, quiet, tidy environment and making patients comfortable, even when they were in pain. I did everything and didn't have to compete with others or engage in office politics, emotional outbursts, control issues, territories, etc.

only you will know - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
if the job is good for you, but if you're having a hard time finding a job, what harm would it do to give it a try if they offer you the job. If nothing else, you will gain some more experience. You didn't state whether your MT position was working from home or in an office, but if it was working from home, I think that makes it all that much more difficult to find a position out in the "real world." If the pay and hours are what you are looking for, I say give it a try and see what you think. Everybody's experiences and perception of their job are different. I recently left MT also after about 12 years. I actually liked my job as an MT so it was difficult but I knew I had to do it because of how things are changing and I needed a more secure future. Good luck to you.

You don't say if you have a job, but having one and building - a broader resume would be top

[ In Reply To ..]
priority for me. From there, I'd make further plans. For instance, if I liked it I might choose to transition to an optician's position, perhaps with an eye to eventually continuing on to become an optometrist (pays a lot more); in any case, I could study during quiet times in the office. Or I might use my improved resume to get a clerical job in an insurance agency. I might stay on that job while I took some accounting and/or IT classes so I could get a job with my own office in one of the local chicken factories. Actually, I'd never do that, but you get the idea.

Came back having given this about 20 seconds' more thought. I'd take the job and then find out what good jobs are going unfilled in my area for lack of trained people, pick one that suited me and paid minimum $XK after a year on the job, and then train for it. How's that for a plan?

Thank you so much, everyone... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
You have given me some great things to think about and wonderful, thoughtful input....thank you all for taking the time to post!

No, I'm not currently working but have been trying not to jump into just ANYTHING because I don't want to have a lot of job-hopping, if I can help it, and would like to find something for which I'm well-suited. I have "a thing" about not wanting to take a job, let them spend time and money training me, and then not stay very long....guilt, guilt, guilt. I wouldn't feel the guilt if it was for an MTSO, the way they've treated us; but a local office--well, I know myself, and I would stay too long, even if I wasn't happy. I know--I'm very bad about over-thinking things, and that's something I need to work on, but it's hard to get a leopard to change his spots, I guess.

If I'm fortunate enough that they offer me the job, I'm going to accept and hope it leads to some personal and skills growth. I know I'm a very good employee, so it's not like I wouldn't have a lot to contribute--it could be a "win-win" situation if they give me the chance! (haha) :-)

I really do appreciate everyone's input and advice...thank you!

Good for you, Ex-MT. Actually, I totally agree about - wanting to honor whatever agreement

[ In Reply To ..]
I enter into. Nobody's ever made a mistake hiring me, either. Best of luck with this one.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Have Any Experience With Opti-Script? Any Input Would Be Appreciated. TIA Nm
Jan 21, 2011

x ...

Does Anyone Have Any Experience With Chronicle Transcripts? Any Input Would Be Appreciated. TIA Nm
Jan 31, 2011

s ...

Optometry Word Help, Please?
May 24, 2013

I need help with this word, please?  Anything will help.  Thanks so much in advance! Visual acuity is 20/20 in each eye without correction.  Pupils and ocular motilities are within normal limits. She did note some mild pain on her eyelid (sounds like "mint").    ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

On Any Front
Nov 10, 2013

Here's my observation for a Sunday for what that's worth   No matter what aspect of Nuance you work in, be it MLS OR QC, you are never good enough, never fast enough, never perfect enough, you are not the mind reader they had hoped they had hired.   If you pore over a job to leave fewer blanks, you are too slow. If you try to meet production, you leave too many blanks.  Oh, and don't try to point out errors on the account specifics cuz chances are they will never g ...

What Does The R Stand For In Front Of The Job #?
Mar 16, 2011

Hi - Had 2 transcriptions from a new hospital, and both had an R encased in a box in front of the internal job number.  Anyone know what this means? TIA ...

Front Sac Capsule?
Aug 02, 2011

Contrast material was injected to distend the front sac capsule for provocation.   Is FRONT SAC right?   ...

Doctors And Front End SR
Apr 27, 2014

Hospital where I worked before being outsourced kept a friend of mine on for QA. Now they don't outsource at all. Using a program like Dragon and the doctor dictating has to edit his own report. And QA is auditing the doctors! If the report is not accurate, the doctor is written up. No more blaming the MT for their mistake. ...

Front And Center-it Seems The LM People Who Got Their Pay Cut
Aug 17, 2010

are the lucky ones.  (see below threads)  I have received emails of many being just laid off without warning and MAYBE a week's notice.  Take this as a warning people!  We work at home and don't know what is going on until it is too late-except for MT STARS.  GET IT? ...

Any News Yet On The Coding Front?
Mar 19, 2014

or maybe not so patiently :-) ...

DSS Voice File With A $ Sign In Front Of It?
Jul 29, 2011

I agreed to do some work in coverage for someone and the doctor sent files directly.  He uses an Olympus recorder that uploads on AS-4000 Pro Player platform.  Once uploaded, it sends each voice file out by encrypted email.  So I got the .dss file but it comes as .$dss In addition to the voice file, there is an .html file that contains the header information for the recording.  I downloaded the DSS Lite Player, but it doesn't recognize the file.  Before I start d ...

Synergy - Another Indian Front Company
Apr 28, 2012

When reading their website.  Little grasp of English grammar.  Misspelled words.  Typical foreign adjectives.  Bah! ...

Silent Type - Having To Pay Up Front To Train In Jersey!
Jul 08, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about having to pay up front to train in Jersey! I wouldn't even do that if we had the money when you don't know how awful of an account you may get or horrible platform. I was just getting ready to test. Thanks for the info! ...

So Sick Of Docs With 12-inch Thick Tongues! They Should Have To Use Front-end SR! NM
Jun 17, 2015

Webmedx Presents Award To Providers For Front-end Speech Implementation
Sep 17, 2010

This article was from July, I just found it. It may have been addressed back then, and if so I missed it. Here is one part of the article: "Currently in use at several Webmedx customer sites, the ability for physicians to capture documentation using front-end voice recognition and then self-edit their work reduces costs by 60% for every transcribed report." This is the link to the article: http://www.healthcareitnews.com/press-release/webmedx-presents-award-providers-front-end-speech-implem ...

Desk Space
Feb 10, 2011

Those of you that have two (or more) computers, personal and a company provided one and limited space, what kind of desk set-up do you have?  ...

Standing Desk
Apr 23, 2012

Has anyone tried a stand-up desk or just tried to stand while typing?  With all the stuff in the news lately about how dangerous sitting is, I would like to give it a try.  Just wondering if anyone has been doing it and has any tips.  It seems like it would be a little hard on the legs when trying to stand and use the footpedal. I have seen some new treadmill desks that look awesome, but obviously wouldn't work for us using footpedals. ...

Can You Email Help Desk?
Sep 03, 2013

I can't figure out how to log into Remedy and my phone reception is so bad they can't understand me when I call for help.  Is there an email address I can use? thanks.  ...

Treadmill Desk
Nov 22, 2013

Hello!  I have been an MT for going on 10 years now and have been thinking about a standing desk.  However, I have a tendency to stand in a way that I end up hurting the outsides of my feet.  I had an idea for a treadmill desk, but I'm stuck on the foot pedal issue and noise level.  I did a search and found a post on MTstars by someone who said it wouldn't' work because treadmills are too loud and one wouldn't be able to hear the dictation.  My work a ...

Help Desk Number
Jan 15, 2014

Can someone please send me help desk number, my emails and intranet are not taking my passwords, I was hoping maybe i was let go, but I can get into Fluency darn it!   I had the number written down, but of course now I cannot find it.  Thanks for any help! ...

Computer Desk Suggestions?
Jul 19, 2010

I need a computer desk for a small space. So the desk must be small, obviously. ;p It won't be for a desktop but for a laptop. I will be putting the laptop on a riser or lifter or stand, whatever its called. You know what I'm talking about. lol. I also will be using an external keyboard with the laptop, so it must have one of those keyboard pullout things. The most important aspect is that it needs to be an ergonomically correct desk. Any suggestions? Wal-Mart or a ...

Desk Top Icons Disappeared
Feb 10, 2012

I started my computer this morning and only 3 desk top icons came up.  The rest were still in my computer but it is like something erased them overnight.  I did nothing but shut down computer last night, did not add anything or any programs, nothing unusual.  I checked the internet and some people say they had the same problem with Dell and Windows Vista.  Any thoughts?  Thank you. ...

Whats Going To Be Next A Web Cam To Watch Us At Our Desk
Apr 10, 2015

this is a sweatshop.  The way they are monitoring means they expect our hands on our keyboard for the entire 8 hours.  Hate this company!!!! Have a couple leads on a new job.  Can't wait to be out of here.  And they will get NO NOTICE from me since I was never given any notice to all the horrible changes they made for me. ...

Webmedx Help Desk Won't Assign Work Any More?
Mar 25, 2011

So if a team member sees an account is in trouble and going to go out of TAT and calls to get the work they say no, they won't assign it?  Gee, what ARE they earning paychecks for at the Solution Center these days?  Fat lot of good it does to refer us to our account manager who only works 8-5 M-F - lets pretend there will never be ANY issues outside those hours!  Looks like we'll be losing a lot of clients since when the MTs that know the accounts try to be proactiv ...

Needing Advice On Desk Setup
Mar 29, 2011

For some reason I have recently become very, very uncomfortable at my desk.  My right leg is always hurting, falling asleep, or getting a charlie horse as I type.  I have a cordless mouse so I can switch hands, but it doesn't seem to matter, as both shoulders hurt from using it.  Also, my butt goes numb - LOL.  I really enjoy being a transcriptionist, but I cannot handle the discomfort much longer.  I have a very good chair and a fairly new desk.  Aga ...

Waiting For Help Desk Call Back.....
Oct 30, 2011

One hour so far.  Cannot log into Cornerstone.  No technician available. Waiting for call back.  With any kind of luck they will pay me for waiting all day...... ...

Work Station/computer Desk
Nov 30, 2011

I am needing to downsize from a large computer armoire to a smaller workstation. Has anyone found something they are happy with? I find that most of them have too narrow of a keyboard shelf for our larger keyboards plus the mouse. I don't need much - just room for the monitor to set on top and somewhere to put the PC. Also, so many that I look at do not have room underneath them for the foot pedal. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Interesting Job Crossed My Desk Today
Jun 12, 2015

An interesting job announcement appeared in my email today.  It was for a large vascular practice in Tampa, Florida.  It would be a good entry job for a new CPC.   You know how some people here insist that no one will hire you without experience?  For this one, experience was preferred, but not mandated, and ... even more encouraging ... a CPC was not required, either.         ...

My Right Shift Key Is Sticking. I Opened A Coke At My Desk
Dec 03, 2010

and it spewed.  It only dripped a little bit on the keyboard and I immediately cleaned it up, but obviously a drop or two got down into the shift key and now it is sticking and it is driving me bonkers.  It's a new keyboard so I really don't want to have to pop out the key.  Any other suggestions? ...