A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Advertisement on TV - RLee

Posted: Mar 22, 2010

Last night I saw my first commercial on TV promoting EMR sponsored by GE.  I guess thhis industry is down the tubes very quickly.  I feel sorry for the newbies trying to get into this business, as they are just wasting time going to school expecting to make a decent living after graduation.  I have been in this field for 22 years and have seen such a drastic change more so in the last year. 

I do not feel sorry for the newbies and for the - no

[ In Reply To ..]
persons enrolling in MT schools, now.
When you explain the miserable situation of the MTing industry, they just label you as a bad person, trying to talk them out of this, implying that one does not want newbies to enter the MT world.
But they do not want to listen and continue to spend tuition for a training that has minimal chance to provide a job.

Did you ever consider - that maybe

[ In Reply To ..]
they already paid their tuition when they ask questions here? I realize this is not always the case, but it seems like some people don't take that into consideration when answering their questions, and just pile on the negativity, when at that point it is too late and what they REALLY need is advice on how to make the best of what they've already paid for!!!!

Just saying....

Sometimes it's good to consider another perspective - Think

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you're a bad person but I do think it's good to see things from another perspective. I believe that a lot of the current advertising about the MT industry may be just hype because when you try to find a job, it's a different story than what you've been led to believe. With that said, some people take MT courses because they need to find somewhat legitimate work from home jobs. It's not always a matter of "wanting" to work from home. Sometimes there is a "need" to work from home for health reasons, either the student or someone they may be caring for. I've gotten some useful info from this board. However, the problem is that I didn't find about this board until I was knee deep in the MT course I was taking. My school has been mentioned on this board and if I had known what I know now, I would have pursued something else.

just graduated - patti

[ In Reply To ..]
I just graduated last Thursday. Are you saying this was the wrong profession to get into??
If MT is how you plan to make a living, then YES. - If its just for something to do, then NO. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
True, I agree with this - no
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Wrong profession - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
If you plan on making a decent living this was definitely a bad choice - times have changed. If you are a single person trying to make a living and are the only breadmaker - you better think twice. If you live in a household with a dual income then maybe it would be the right choice - everyone's circumstances are different. You will not get rich by any means and will have to struggle to pay your bills if you rely solely on your paycheck alone.

the MT industry started already 10 years ago to - MTing career?

[ In Reply To ..]
go downhill. People should know this by now.

But what I find really stubborn and delusional is the fact that even if people are warned and advised not to enter the MTing field in these day, they start to verbally abuse you.

Even on this board it is not allowed to discourage people to enter this field. often these comments are deleted or the poster is banned.

Well, how should people then know how the situation really is? But people, anyway, believe the advertisements and the faulty statistics since people believe what they want to believe.

I don't feel sorry for them either. - ncmt

[ In Reply To ..]
They were told and told, and wouldn't listen. Now they've wasted thousands of dollars and are crying about it. The sad thing is some of them STILL are planning on enrolling in these schools. What's going to happen 2 years from now when things are even worse? They'll be crying.

exactly my thoughts, they fell for the wrong adverts and statistics - no

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Newbies - Negative Nellie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am tired of being labeled "negative" when you try to give the new people a heads-up on the realities of the outsourcing, reduced pay, lousy hours and not enough domestic work to keep you busy for 8 hours a day.

Negative Nellie - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not consider that being negative at all - it is trying to look out for fellow MTs even if they are newbies. I feel sorry after they spend all that money on education before they know all the facts about where this industry is headed. Hopefully they will pay attention to the negativity, as it comes from voices of experience !!!!
true, but they continue to ignore the voices of reason - blame the misleading
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
OMG!!!! - Maybe it is because
[ In Reply To ..]
they've already spent the money and are IN IT NOW! Why do you people seem to ignore that fact? Most of the newbie questions are not from people trying to pick a school, albeit some are. So, what good does it do to "warn them" when what they need is actual advice? Why should they immediately take the advice given here and leave the field? You're not...why should they do it, just on the word of people on a message board? I know, it's a hard concept to grasp, but it is possible to offer encouragement, or at the very least sympathize with people who have already gotten themselves into this predicament (notice the word "already," there). There is no reason for folks to think a school is making false claims, because most don't (in other fields), at least not to the extent that MT schools do. Also, if you're not a frequenter of message boards (as I wasn't before I started MT-ing), why would you think to visit one before going to school? Do people go to message boards to help them decide on careers typically? I don't believe they do.

One other point: There is a BIG difference between warning people of problems in the industry and downright belittling/making fun of/verbally attacking people! Honest advice and cautions aren't what people are griping about! There are right and wrong ways to talk to people. Jeez.
WHY are you asking for ADVICE then, if - positive advice?
[ In Reply To ..]
you reject ALL negative advice and accept only advice that fits into your mind frame?

It seems that you want to accept only the kind of advice that you WANT to hear and abuse and insult posters who tell you things you do not want to hear, because you are already "in it."

Admit that it was, at least, partly YOUR fault that you entered this field, especially if you started only 10 years ago, when it already began to go downhill.

I, actually, do not know what "kind" of advice you are looking for? A positive one, in these times? Forget it.
Let me see now. You can't get or keep a job but you are advising others - What is wrong with this picture
[ In Reply To ..]
It always strikes me as strange that a small but loud group posts over and over that all is horrible and the sky is falling. They, the ones who are not successful, advise others on what they should and/or should not do.

I have already stated elsewhere that I have not had the experiences you are having and don't agree with your conclusions. If I did, I would be out doing some other kind of work right now instead of posting on a board for a career that has not worked out for me.

Also, I personally know quite a few successful MTs who are for the most part just quietly working and some of them working overtime because there is so much work. I've asked several of them if they would come over and give 'our' side, and they refuse, because they would rather get their work done and have time to have a family life.

Occasionally I just have to put my 2 cents worth in and say, if it isn't working well for you in MT, do something else, but do something! Some of you spend your lives so unproductively it's no wonder you were unsuccessful. I've got work to do.
what a hateful and "pompous" comment. You do not know anything about me! - silly assumptions
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You should READ once more this post.(posted above) - see inside
[ In Reply To ..]
the MT industry started already 10 years ago to - MTing career?

Posted: Mar 23rd, 2010 - 8:44 am In Reply to: Sometimes it's good to consider another perspective - Think

go downhill. People should know this by now.

But what I find really stubborn and delusional is the fact that even if people are warned and advised not to enter the MTing field in these day, they start to verbally abuse you.

Even on this board it is not allowed to discourage people to enter this field. often these comments are deleted or the poster is banned.

Well, how should people then know how the situation really is? But people, anyway, believe the advertisements and the faulty statistics since people believe what they want to believe.
-----------
Have a nice day!

Newbies - Elsinore

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone taken the MedTrans course? If the market is so bad now for MTs, I may look at something else. Was looking for a part time job to make a few bucks. Any opinions? Thanks

There's big $$$ to be made training people for nonexistent jobs - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
People are still training for court reporting, CAD-CAM, and lots of other occupations going the way of automation or overseas.

The only job NOT being offshored is vocational training.

I think you can probably add CODING to the list! - no/msg

[ In Reply To ..]

You got it, you summoned up the whole misery in 1 sentence! - training for no jobs / sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It irritates me so much seeing all these adverts for school enrollment on TV.
Schools take this opportunity to lure people into schools for all kind of training since their motivation is "People have no jobs, they sit at home, twiddeling their thumbs,lets lure them into schools, WE make money!!"

What happens afterwards when all these "newly graduated people" are looking for jobs? Will there be enough jobs for all the people that are then looking for jobs, or will it be then even worse than now?
I heard this morning that grocery clerks are no longer going to be needed - No jobs anywhere doing anything.
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a new system. You just drive your cart through and it automatically tabulates all of your purchases.

There soon won't be any jobs for Americans at all.

Why is it legal for them to lie they way they do? - nobody else can

[ In Reply To ..]
If diet plans are forced to admit "results are not typical" and pharmaceuticals must list their side effects, why aren't schools forced to use a disclaimer "Attending this school may very likely waste your time and money and promote false hope. Graduating this school does not guarantee employment, or the ability to make even poverty level wages working multiple jobs simultaneously"!

BECAUSE THEY HAVENT BEEN CAUGHT YET. - But just wait -- it"ll happen...... nm

[ In Reply To ..]

And the Labour Department should UPDATE - faulty statistics!

[ In Reply To ..]
and correct their misleading and faulty statistics that they get submitted by whom I do not know exactly, or, even better, do their own research instead!!!!!!

All Newbies and people who want to stay in this field. - Wise Up

[ In Reply To ..]
You want advice? Wise up. Look at the trend of this industry. If you knew the amount of work that was off-shored from this country you would understand this trend and know that it is not going to get any better. The work that has remained here will have to be done at VERY low cost in order to compete and stay in business. Okay, so you can't find MTs to work for 3 cpl, minimum wage, whatever. The only answer to that is VR. That is the only way they can compete with the offshore prices.

VR was introduced and found to be quite lacking in production, efficiency, etc. but technology has been working on that and will continue to work on it until it is the only answer. If you prefer to do straight typing, that will be very difficult to find in the future. EVERYONE is going to go to VR. What is left will be ESLs impossible to put on VR and these jobs will be at rock bottom wages. No, it is not completely here yet, 50% maybe, but it is coming. Essentially what this does is wipe out half the MT population. Say you had 20 MTs on an account. When it went to VR you only need 10. This is simply about the cost of doing business.

Wages have been driven down. You will never see 9-10 cpl in the future. Companies will eventually require all their ICs to be certified and there will be certified people willing to work for their wages as long as they can work at home. Employee status will be a thing of the past because of all the turnover. It is said that a client changes, on average, every 18 months. Then you are laid off. When they get new business, they get 100 applications for each position.

You have MTs with 10-15-25 years experience and it will not mean a thing! But remember, newbies, this is who you will be competing with for a job. I am sure many of you see this already. So the advice is this: Take your losses and run. If you are young enough to begin a new career, get started, unless of course you do not need a decent income and you have a second income to rely on.

There are still many happy MTs, even on VR. They are not the ones moving, and they probably won't. The very experienced who have been laid off due to offshoring and VR are moving and will get most jobs. Some of us have been around 20-25 years and are too old to start new careers. Employers are certainly willing to train us on VR because of our experience. That will not be the case for long. The job requirements will state VR experience.

This is not negativity, just facts. Do with it what you will.

wise up - well said

[ In Reply To ..]
I intend to print your post and keep it handy for those who continue to ask me about this horrible industry!

I totally agree with this, I could have written this. - so true

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Is it okay with you if some of us love our jobs and even enjoy VR? - Not everyone is doing poorly

[ In Reply To ..]
I know some of you are having a rough time and I sympathize with you. That happens in any kind of work though. Some people do better than others. The anger from some of you just seems so unhealthy for you. I say that sincerely, not with sarcasm. I hope you will find something very soon that you enjoy doing, and I hope you will be very good at it. That also is not sarcasm. It's sincere. If it's okay with you though, let those of us who are enjoying what we are doing in MT continue to do it without all the meanness. If you put all that energy toward doing something productive, your problem would be closer to being solved.

Not Everyone Doing Poorly - see message - Is It Okay with You?

[ In Reply To ..]
That every post on these boards is certainly not addressed to everyone? It would not take a genius to figure that out (not being sarcastic or anything). I think it is great that you are not doing poorly, you enjoy your work, and love VR. Not being sarcastic or anything, but wouldn't it be obvious to you that not everyone is in your position. Is it okay with you that we communicate with each other and offer advice to others in the same situations? I don't think that is mean. These posts should not bother you since you are busy being "productive."

Tell me: what is the REASON and AIM of your post? - Quo vadis?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You should ask yourself: How long will it last? - how long...?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

I Just Checked Out An Advertisement
Jun 01, 2013

It was a full time position as an IC, hourly wage.  Wages advertised were $10 - $11 per hour.  Education qualifications:  MASTERS DEGREE!!!  yeah, like anybody with a Master's Degree is going to type insurance forms for $10 an hour....give me a break!!!  ugh. ...

Saw This Job Advertisement And Thinking Of Applying
Sep 11, 2012

Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. Teamwork: We strive to create an environment in which everyone has a chance to showcase their individual talents. We build better relationships and produce greater results for our customers when we work together as a team. Our goal is to empower our people to work smarter and more effectively. Customer Focus: We always seek ways to enhance the client experience a ...