A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are the practical differences between ICD-9-CM and ICD-10? - Does anyone know?

Posted: Oct 25, 2011

I've been reading a little bit about it, but what are the actual differences between ICD-9 and ICD-10? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure, but Redpen or one of the other experienced coders will know - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think what we've learned is, we don't know anything about it - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
You would think someone would know a little more about this, because it's a big thing and it is happening soon. Not one of us seems to know anything about it, really.

It's more specific. I think it has an extra digit. - All I know which is not much

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard that hospitals are having to put in new equipment because ICD-10 requires an extra digit, because it's more specific. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's as much help as I can give on the subject.

Not sure, but is it supposed to be faster and easier? - Lou

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see why they would want to make it faster and easier. Maybe that's the point of all of it.

Isn't it supposed to take effect in 2014? - Terrified of learning ICD-10

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole thing sounds scary to me. The teachers are just clueless when you ask them questions about it. They don't have any answers.

The scary thing about is nobody knows very much - In my opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
Anything new is always scary, but in this case, most of us are clueless. That is really scary!

I believe it's 2013 - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I don't know why they don't leave it as it is - If it aint broke dont fix it
[ In Reply To ..]
What's wrong with the version we have right now? Why do they have to change it?
ICD-10 - formerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The version we have right now, is not sufficient to code to the detail of treatment, the rest of the world has been on ICD-10 for awhile, we are just getting it. It will be effective February 2013, right around the corner. They are changing it to get on board with the rest of the world, to increase efficiency, to provide a greater level of detail and improve the reimbursement cycle.

ICD-10 - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of coders know ICD-10, but you might not have met any of them. The people who are most focused on learning it right now are faculty and coders closely involved with the transition process.

The US will switch to ICD-10 in October of 2013. The move is necessary because we outgrew ICD-9. There weren't enough code numbers left to enable us to add new diseases. Medical knowledge has exploded in the last few decades, tons of procedures using equipment unheard of years ago are now possible, and there is an increased need to collect accurate, specific information about patients for research purposes and for reimbursement.

ICD-10 will allow us to classify diseases and conditions more specifically since the codes have more digits. It has room for more codes and room for expansion.

There are 2 parts to ICD-10. If you are an outpatient coder, you only need the diagnoses. Inpatient coders will also need to learn the procedure code set.

The diagnosis codes are very much like what you have now. There are more digits and the numbering is a little different, with codes beginning with a letter, but it's basically the same. The organization of the code set is basically the same. You will still look up codes in the Alphabetic Index and then in the Tabular List. There are just more possible diagnoses and more detail in the codes.

The procedure codes are quite different. Outpatient will still use CPT codes, but inpatient coders will use ICD-10-PCS. Since it is a completely different animal, it will take longer for you to learn. You might need more background knowledge of medicine, procedures, and anatomy. The main difference is that you construct the code as you code rather than relying on the same static, kind of vague codes in the code set now. Each digit in the code codes some feature of the procedure -- the type of procedure, the location, the approach, instruments used, etc. Again, it isn't terribly difficult.

Is it faster? Not particularly, but that isn't the reason for the change. The reason is that the current code system WAS broken. ICD-10-CM/PCS will fix that. It will give us a code set that can be used for years to come.

I sure hope - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
coding gets more accurate. My husband injured his finger and the bill had 2 surgeries on it, one was for putting stitches in and the other was for putting a gauze wrap on it. When I asked why there was a 390 dollar charge for putting gauze on and it was called a surgery, they told me that was just how it is coded. That's ridiculous.

Thoughts - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Where was this done? Did the bill state the CPT code numbers for these "surgeries"? They would be 6-digit numbers.

There would have been a code for the repair itself, which would include local anesthesia, stitching, and bandaging. There could also have been a code for the supplies used--the anesthetic, the syringe, the suture material, the scissors, the drape, the Betadine, the swabs, and the bandage. That is a surgical tray, which has a code, but the words they use sometimes don't convey what it is. $390 wouldn't be unreasonable for that, especially if this occurred in an ER.

Does that look like what you have on the bill?

Unless you saw other charges for supplies, my guess is that the $390 is for the tray. It should not be for applying a bandage, though, because that is included in the repair code.

Keep in mind, too, that ER bills can include all sorts of things other than the repair--they can charge for the facility while you can still get a bill from the doctor. Some of their charges can be outrageous, which is why you want to avoid using an ER whenever possible.

This is Excellent Information - Beautifully Written and Easy To Understand - Thank You!

[ In Reply To ..]
Finally we have a clear and informative explanation about the why's and wherefore's of ICD-10. I thought I knew quite a bit about it until I read this and realized that I not only could I not have described it this well, I actually learned something! Thank you, again.

You're welcome - glad it helped - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I appreciate the comment that it was clear and informative, and that I had described it well. After being called rude and sarcastic elsewhere on this board, I almost didn't answer.

I thought it sounded like Redpen because you write beautifully and well - Thank you again
[ In Reply To ..]
I always learn something from what you write. Please don't stop posting. You have a lot to offer.

ICD-10 - formerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am taking ICD-10 right now, the main differences are:
7 digit codes as opposed to 5
Laterality markers (R and L) sides with a terminal digit.
more OB-GYN codes
there is an ICD-10 CM an ICD-10 procedure manual, this will take the place of the CPT.
it is very, very, very detailed and I am literally reading every word of it over and over and over!

Correction - it isn't taking the place of CPT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
ICD-10-PCS is not taking the place of CPT. It is only replacing the ICD-9 procedure codes.

CPT is used for physician services (outpatient coding). It will continue to be used for that. In most cases, outpatient coders will not need to learn ICD-10-PCS.

If you are just learning this, then it's understandable that you would feel it necessary to read it over and over. That's just because it is new to you. It would be especially noticeable if you were not already a coder. All new coders feel that the code set is very, very, very detailed, but they get over this eventually and settle down to seeing it as just a code set.

None of the differences you mention in ICD-10-CM will make a hill of beans difference in how coding is done. The process is exactly the same -- the code numbers may differ in structure and there may be more codes available, but using the code set is the same.

ICD-10-PCS, on the other hand, is different and many coders will have to expand their knowledge of medicine considerably in order to use it.

Similar Messages:

Pay Differences
Jun 03, 2014

There has been quite a bit of talk about pay discrepancies on here of late, and I have a question along this vein.  If one was hired for clinic work but was later assigned work on an acute care account, should there by two different LPH amounts paid based on which account you are working in?  Now, I say "should," but I also want to know if anyone has experienced this and actually gotten paid two different amounts? When I first started, I was told that clinic accounts were all paid at ...

I Passed My RDA Practical!
Dec 23, 2010

Just got notice I passed the practical for dental assisting.   Now I'm too excited to sit here and work :) Plan on taking the written test next month and then I'm out of here!!!  It hasn't been easy going to school and scraping by here, but I have to pay the bills.  I'm leaving transcription kicking and screaming.  At my age, I thought I would be doing this 'til the end of my working days.  So sad. ...

Anyone With Playback Problem With Practical Part Of M*Modal Test? Sm
Mar 21, 2012

I had no problems wit the objectiv questions but when I tried to use the keyboard controls or foot pedal to transcribe the sample reports, wouldn't work, even after I downloaded their footpedal software from Career Step.  ...

What's The Hour And Line Count Differences Between Part Time And Flex Part Time?
Jan 12, 2012

I'm currently flex part time only working 18 hours a week but I do have a set schedule.  What are the requirments for part-time and how may hours per week do you have to work.  Also, is there a difference between the line counts for part time and flex part time. Thanks. ...