A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What are the chances? SM - Anon

Posted: Sep 14, 2011

If I am working in the radiology department of a hospital as an MT, what do you think the chances are that after I complete my coding course that I would be considered for a coding position?  The job board for this hospital for coding jobs states that within 2 years of employment you must gain the CCS credential.  Therefore, I assume you do not need to be credentialed to be hired.  However, I wonder if they would even consider me without coding experience.  What I would have going for me is that I am already employed by them, my 12 years of medical transcription experience, and that I would be a recent graduate of a very thorough medical coding school.  Any opinions?

My guess is that it depends on the quality of training you are getting - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're getting the level of training that prepares you to sit for and pass the CCS exam and CPC exam, I would say your chance is excellent! Most schools don't teach to that level, so graduates of most schools would end up after that 2 years not able to pass the test, even with experience, and would lose the job.

My experience has been - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
I could NOT obtain a job in my local hospital (I had worked there previously and know the people well) because they told me even though I was an MT for many, many years and worked for the hospital, they didn't have time to bring me up to speed. They had done this in the past with other people but she said they could not do it anymore.

I have since gotten my CPC. However, I cannot even get my foot in the door anywhere. Every place wants at least 3-5 years of experience. It's tough out there. They don't look beyond your resume and if the experience isn't there, forget it.

I did get 1 interview and the lady told me she had some with the CPC and some with experience. She told me she didn't care that I didn't have actual coding experience but in the end, it mattered. She had 18 applicants so there was no way someone like me had a chance.

I'm still trying though and haven't given up but it's really tough to break into, at least in my area, where jobs in coding don't come open very often.

I think you'll find that having a CCS really will help, if you are able to get that credential - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
A coder with a CCS is valuable to a hospital. You might want to go to the AHIMA web site and try some of their test prep quizzes and see if you are ready to take that exam. It's going to make a difference. I can't guarantee that there would be a job in your area, but in that group of 18 applicants, probably very few of them will have had their CCS, and a coding applicant with a CCS would have gone to the top of the stack. Of course an applicant who is a CCS and has experience would be on the very top, but those are not that easy to find when you are looking to hire coders.
For this job, they wanted the CPC - sm - Coder-to-be
[ In Reply To ..]
Huge, huge hospital and each division has their own physician coders. The CCS would not have helped.

It seems to me there is a huge division between people with CPC and CCS, both defending their credential as the best. I don't get why - you either want to code inpatient or outpatient so you get the credential you need. If you want to be invaluable, get both. I have talked to people with CCS and they look down on the CPC credential. Again, I don't get it.

Note: This isn't written to/about this particular post - just an observation in general.
Well, I wrote the above message and I like and respect both - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think coders are way ahead to have both. Certainly I didn't mean to put a damper on the CPC, but I have seen many hospitals eager to find coders with a CCS and unable to find them.

Similar Messages:

What Are My Chances Of Getting Hired...?
Jan 13, 2010

I have a GED but no college. I can type fast and accurately and I am a quick learner. If I take the CareerStep course, what are the chances that I would get hired by an online company? ...

What Are My Chances Of Getting Hired Anywhere
Aug 31, 2012

I have two years experience but my experience is not recent.  I did not graduate from a school or course, rather, I was trained by an MTE and by someone who had a general practice that they typed for.  Eventually I was able to take over the general practice but had to give it up because my husband's health was critical. I would like very much to get back to MT work but the ads I'm seeing are not conducive to me thinking I'm going to get hired......  What y'all ...

What Are The "odds/chances"
Dec 10, 2010

I have been an MT for over 16 years and have seen the field I love go downhill for the last few years.  I have been looking into Coding extensively and am very, very interested.. HOWEVER, what are the chances/odds that someone of my age (50 in June 2011) with NO coding experience, just a certification, will be hired???  Do I spend my very hard-earned money on a course that pretty much gets me in the door to take the exam, but then I might actually not land a job due to AGE and inexperi ...