A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thinking of Coding. Help - MT

Posted: Mar 29, 2010

I have been a MT for over 4 years.  I am thinking of switching to coding.  How hard is the switch?  Can you find work at home jobs?  What are the best online schools for it?

Thank you

switching to coding - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been an MT for many years but have also decided to try to get into coding and am taking the course through The Andrews School. From what I have seen, coding it rather hard to break into, much like transcription. The old catch-22 that you can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job. I understand that many places will consider you without experience if you have a credential so I am hoping to be able to pass the CCS when I finish my program. AHIMA also has a program that looks okay but beware as there are a lot of so called coding programs that I don't think are much good. Good luck.

Good Questions! - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
You asked, "How hard is the switch? Can you find work at home jobs? What are the best online schools for it?"

The switch isn't terrible, but like anything worth doing, you want to do it well. A solid coding course is probably going to take a couple of years, or possibly a little less in a more self-paced program.

You don't want an "Introduction To Coding" kind of course unless you just want to work in a doctor's office in more of a billing capacity with just a tiny bit of coding.

Most coders work in hospitals and/or clinics. Some are beginning to work from home, but it isn't like transcription where almost everyone works at home. Whether you would find a work-at-home job in coding depends on where you live and what is available when you are finished with training.

What are the best online schools for coding? Obviously I think The Andrews School is the best, but I'm supposed to think that. The serious answer to that question is recommend that you e-mail 5-10 online schools, including mine, and ask for more information. As you read through what everyone sends to you, you'll start getting a handle on what is important and what is just 'fluff' or time-fillers. You want to find a course that provides you with the most experience actually coding, not writing essays on this or that or learning things unrelated to coding at the expense of your coding education.

As you read through 'promotional material' or e-mail sent from the various schools, you'll be able to sort things out.

Then write back to the schools with more specific questions and compare the answers.

Finally, call and talk to your final selections. Eventually you'll find a school that is the right one for you.

Andrews - Coding

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Linda,

How many students each year that enroll in your school drop out before they reach the end of the course? Just curious. A common theme in people I have talked to who have enrolled in courses in coding (on line and college) start with a big group but by the end it dwindles to a few.

This is true of ALL courses, - not just coding.

[ In Reply To ..]
The dropout rate in most schools, for-profit and community-type colleges is very high no matter what the course. It's just that the drop rate is "invisible" at schools where students can't really see each other.

A lot of college health information management programs, like those teaching coding, would have even higher drop rates were it not for the practice of making students take general courses like English, math, anatomy & physiology, and med terms before they can even apply for the HIM programs. That gets rid of a huge number of students without making the HIM department look bad.

If you take classes at schools like that, you often use course management software which lets you compare your test grades with other students. By the end of some courses, like coding, you can see that a bunch of students vanish after the first test, a bunch more after the second, and so on until sometimes only one or two remain at the end.

Coding schools - Coderx

[ In Reply To ..]
If you go to the AHIMA and AAPC websites you will find a list of schools also that are online that are approved by their associations. It is a great place to start for looking into quality education. They have a list of all schools that are approved by them, the very associations you will eventually (hopefully) get your credentials from. The websites are a wealth of information. Be sure to do some VERY good research before choosing an on-line school. Be sure to read all the posts below as this was discussed heavily below and some very good points were made. Good luck with your venture. :-) Just an objective point of view!!

What's in an approval? - Hidden agendas

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't always know what an approval means. In some cases, it might mean only schools that are members of an association can get approved. Sometimes, schools aren't approved because they would have to reduce the amount of subject matter coverage they provide or the way they teach it, in order that the organization's own course doesn't look bad by comparison.

And sometimes, approval just means the teacher took a very expensive course, pays an exorbitant licensing fee every year, and agrees to use only the organization's materials. The approval is just paid advertising for a plug-n-play system.

Not all graduates of approved schools pass the credentialing exams. What actually happens is that most grads don't test at all. Some take the same course two or three times to learn enough to brave the exam. When organizations recommend their approved grads have 2 years of experience, then up it to 3, and still have so many failures that they are willing to cook up a dumbed down credential as a solution, you have to wonder what exactly is getting approved.

It's probably better to evaluate a course on its own merits.

What all prospective codings students should read - Coderx

[ In Reply To ..]
What is in an approval? You should go to this link and read this if you do not know: http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_043741.pdf

I would suggest anyone who is thinking about going into the profession of coding go to this website and read "what is in an approval." There is a lot of important information in the AHIMA and CAHIM websites. A great place to get some information to educate yourself before you spend all kinds of money on an education.

It would seem "rather accusing" to try to portray that these organizations, the very organizations that will grant our credentials, would try to keep out a program because it would "compete" or "make "their" program look bad. Quite a statement, to say the least. Not one I would be prepared to make unless I had some solid proof to back it up. Do you??

While it would be true that not all graduates of approved programs pass their credential exams, it would also be true that not all pass from "other" on-line programs as well as those from actual on-campus classes. I guess that is true about any course that is offered in any field.

I think it goes without saying that in our world nowdays of all of these internet "so-called" schools/programs, there should have to be some type of organization or governing body to keep people from getting ripped off/scammed. Who better to do this than the very organization that is granting these credentials we are working towards. They have given an in-depth ouline on their website as to what should be in an approved program to protect people from getting ripped off by programs claiming to be something they are not. I guess it would seem odd to me if a program is claiming to be of such great quality that they would not get the approval of these organizations, the very organizations they themselves are going to send their students to, to get their credentials. It would also seem odd to me that potential students would ignore these organizations recommendations and spend their money on something else that is basically not proven. To each their own.

Now, you also accuse them of cooking up a "dumbed down" credential as a solution. Again, this is quite a statement. Obvsiously, these organizations realize what an undertaking coding is and how hard it is to pass their exams. They do suggest you try to get some experience. I think that is an "honest" way of going about it. Would you rather they portrayed it like some of these on-line schools do and tell you that you should be able to pass right out of school when they themselves know that the pass rate is not that high. They prove the percentages on their website as CJ had listed below. Isn't that just being honest?? Basically telling you to save your money until you are truly ready. This is no different than the CMT test in transcription. They also suggest people have experience before they take that. Of course, I am sure you feel that have "Dumbed down" those credentials now too. That is quite an offending statement to all of those people out there who have achieved those credentials. I do not consider any credential a "dumbed down" credential or a waste of time. I feel any credentials anyone has worked for are worthy, and shame on you for downplaying one's hard work.

In education, even our public schools/private schools, for our children, they all have a governing body who has to approve any course/curriculum that they want to implement into their educational system. It is designed to keep out the bad programs so that the wrong information is not being taught.

It is a no-brainer to me that one would seek out an approved program to educate themselves to protect themselves from getting ripped off and potentially shortchanging their future career.

FWIW.

thank you - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
well reasoned, logical and intelligent response.
Why would posts be deleted? - Strange
[ In Reply To ..]
Seems very strange to me that posts disappear off of this board for no reason at all!! Gee, one would wonder who really is running this discussion/advertising board??
The poster probably deleted them - Figures
[ In Reply To ..]
Linda, herself, probably deleted them as she was pressed to answer questions and quit evading them, which she is so good at doing, so she got deperate and deleted them. Anyone can delete their own post if you want too. Just go into Options and use the editing tool. Seems as soon as things get to be too much for her, she sends her backup crew out to handle her affairs, Redpen! Her posts are deleted from above to be replaced by Redpen's responses as well, and also just like she did below. What's up with that?
deleted post? - plse
[ In Reply To ..]
I was the one questioning her. Can she delete my posts? I was wondering where it had gone. I am glad, though, that I am not the only one who thinks she is evading answering the questions and should not be using this discussion forum to try to sell her school! Let's see if i get deleted again!
No oe else can delete your posts specifically ... SM - Moderator
[ In Reply To ..]
However, if a other poster entered a code to edit or delete their own post, all replies to that post will be deleted.

Similar Messages:

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

MT To Coding
Sep 27, 2010

I've been an MT for going on 8 years now, and I've been throwing around the idea of taking a coding class. I would really like to have something else to fall back on, as it seems that MT'ing is going more and more to VR. There's a local coding class that begins in January for $1700, but I wanted to get some feedback of current coders before signing up. Is the demand for coders still fairly high? Is it hard to find a job as a newbie, even with already having experience in the ...

Is Coding The Way To Go?!
Jan 19, 2011

I have almost 12 years experience as an MT (turn 30 in a month ACK!)  My mom has been telling me for a couple years now (since it started going downhill) that I should maybe think about coding as a career.  I guess she thinks I'd be good at it, but I have no idea.  I have just started my research but I thought I would kind of get some pros and cons about it see if anyone had advice or thoughts on anyone thinking about it.  I always feel like I'm too old to start som ...

What Do You (did You) Like Best About Your Coding Course?
Dec 27, 2011

What was the best thing about the coding course you took? Did it prepare you for the CCS and CPC exams or maybe just the CCA? Did you take any of those exams and did you pass or fail them?  What course did you take? Did you think it was hard or easy? You don't need to answer all of the questions, but maybe a couple of them. Thanks.  ...

I Keep Looking At Coding, Considering It But........
Feb 11, 2012

there's just ONE little thing that keeps me doubting the possibility of it being a long-term career: I keep seeing more and more ads every week for "at home coders".  Does this make you at least a little nervous?  It makes me a LOT nervous.  We all know that once MTs started working from home, the MT field went into a tailspin, pay-wise, because "work-at-home" seems to translate into "work-in-India", instead.  Also I see some ads for MTSOs that also offer coding.  ...

E&M Coding?
Apr 16, 2012

Is Evaluation and management coding hard to learn? ...

Coding Vs MT, What To Do....
May 10, 2012

I am generally pretty good at making my own decisions; however, I need advice on what to do in this situation. I am currently an MT making $55,000-$60,000 year. The last few years MT work slowed down due to VR/EMR and it was harder and harder to replace lost accounts. While I was looking for another client/MTSO to fill the gap last year, I took a college course for coding and passed the CPC thinking I would have a back-up plan if needed; however, I found more MT work shortly after passing the C ...

How Did You Get Your First Coding Job?
Aug 14, 2012

I passed the CCS and CPC exam 8 months ago but have yet to find a job :(.  I busted my bu** to become a certified coder, and now that I am one, no one will hire me without experience.  I live in a small town.  We have one hospital.  I applied and was flat out told they cannot hire coders without minimum 2 years experience.  I asked if I could volunteer or job shadow and they said no.  No jobs there in HIM at all.  Our local medical clinic has a coding company t ...

Coding As An Art: Another Way To Look At Coding
Oct 12, 2012

I think it's a good artcile about coding and will give you a glimpse into it too. ...

Is Coding Going To Go The Same Way As MT?
Jul 09, 2013

Before I take this leap of faith into coding school, will the EHR/VR technology be sinking the coding ship too?   ...

Help With Coding Course
Jul 21, 2013

Can anyone help out with a basics coding course I am taking? ...

Be Sure You Know What You're Getting Into With The Coding
Mar 12, 2014

Just got an e-mail from my manager stating that if you get accepted into the program, all money paid while training will have to be paid back if you do not complete or pass the course or if you pass and do not stay with the company for 24 months following completion of the training. You also still have to work your regular number of hours. If you can't get your homework done in the 20 paid hours, then you will have to do it on your own time. ...

Considering Coding And Have
May 14, 2014

I've seen lots of people ask questions about coding, but I have some questions I haven't seen asked before and was hoping somebody could answer them.  I'd hate to go to school for something and then learn the hard way that I hate the job.  BTDT and don't want to do it again! -What do you like best about coding? -What do you hate about coding? -What is the most stressful part of the job? -What kinds of people would like coding? Thanks in advance for any answers ...

So I'm Trying To Get Out Of MT And Was Considering Coding
May 19, 2015

based on reading here that they prepare you for the CCS, which is know is pretty much mandatory .  Anyway, what I read there about their coding program sounded really good, but then I read about their transcription program.  I now have lost respect for this school.  How can I believe what they say about coding when they tout medical transcription as still being a good career?   I know I work for the notoriously WORST of the worst company, Nuance, but I think all MT companie ...

Coding Won't Die - Here's Why
Jun 10, 2015

Coding As An IC?
Jun 14, 2015

Are some coders doing coding for private practices as an IC from home?  MT for 22 years thinking of coding school.  If this is being done, how would this work?  Would you charge per report?  Do you have the reports emailed to you and then how would you do the coding?  Would you need to remotely log into their electronic records system?  I apologize if these questions sound dumb.  Truthfully I really know very little about coding as I have just begun researching ...

MT/Coding Magazine
Nov 03, 2009

I used to receive a free magazine that was mainly for coding, but it had some MT information.  It was more of medical information magazine.  I have since stopped receiving it and can't remember the name of it.  Does anyone know what I'm tallking about?  If so, can you send me the name of the magazine so I can contact them and get another subscription.    Thank you. ...

Going From MT To Medical Coding
Feb 04, 2010

Any informatioin regarding medical coding and billing? I am thinking about going back to school. I recently lost my MT job. Thanks! ...

Coding Educaiton
Feb 23, 2010

I'd like to know where/how coders out there got there education.  I live in central Iowa and took a an "insurance billing" class along with my MT class, at a local community college.  However, I did not feel that it was very good training for coding, and the teacher wrote the book/manual herself.  We did, however, use the ICD-9 and CPT books in conjunction with her manual.  Do most medical coders take their training online, or do they attend a school?  If you atten ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

Basic Coding Help
Apr 20, 2010

Hello, I am looking for anyone who is a coder, or understands the basic concepts of using the ICD-9 book. If possible I would like to speak with someone directly and can arrange a phone call. I am only a few weeks into this, I do not want to be a coder, I am getting my degree to be an MA. Just reading examples of how or why to code something a certain way is really giving me trouble. If anyone hear can offer any help please drop me a line. I don't know if there is a way to PM someone o ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding Study On One's Own
Apr 25, 2010

I'd like to begin studying medical coding on my own to see if it it's a match iin terms of learning and liking the field. I have 30+ years of transcription experience and usually learn fairly quickly. What books/workbooks do you suggest as a start to see if this feels like it will work for me? And for people who have done this on your own, what did you include in a program of study for yourself? Are there some areas that you feel an in-house course is needed?  Replies greatly app ...

WR Typing And Coding
Apr 30, 2010

Any info on them? Supposed to be out of AL but when I google them, nothing comes up.  ...