A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stay at home mom to Coder..... - RR

Posted: Apr 20, 2012

I've been a stay at home mom for 7 years. My youngest daughter was born with a heart defect so we decided that it would be great for me to stay home and focus on being a mom. Well 7 years later I decided to get back to work. Since I've been at home for that long I also decided to go back to school to get an education and gain experience to be able to get a job above minimum wage!!! I tried to go to school for coding about 6 years ago but because of health circumstances with her I had to stop. I am going to start a Medical coding program program this Summer. My issue is (sorry) Im soooo worried about going back to school and starting a new career!!!!! I feel like I am going to be way out place....Im 35..not old but older and I just wanted to hear from others who may have started later.... Thanks

Starting later - On my 4th

[ In Reply To ..]
OK, I think I understand what you are asking and I am guessing that you are asking it because ... umm ... well, maybe I am not sure why. Hmm. Let's see ... you might be worried about going to college at your incredibly advanced age because ... umm ... those young whippersnappers will laugh at your turquoise eye shadow and love beads? Or the Big Hair? (Please tell us it is not a mullet!)

Not to worry! A trip to your friendly fashion consultants ... an Aveda salon and the Lancome counter ... will take care of that. Love beads are back in style now, anyway.

Feeling out of place is a superficial issue. It is perhaps something we fear because we do not know what the environment will be like. We may think ... mistakenly, as it turns out ... that the "right time" to go to college is directly after high school. While a lot of people do that, not ALL people do that. Some do it later and some do it more than once. They do it to change careers and even just for fun.

This is not always the case in fields like math and chemistry, but it is definitely the case in health information fields where you can begin with one thing like coding or HIT, go back for HIT or tumor registry or an RHIA, go back for informatics or data analysis, go back for a master's and go back for a PhD ... and even branch off into computer programming and even law. People do this their whole careers.

The only situation in which you might be much older is at a "career college" or "tech college," one of those for-profit affairs that sprout up to rake in loan money They prey on people who can't get into regular colleges or who do not know what a degree mill is. That isn't something I would ever recommend because you would not just be older, but you would feel out of place socially and intellectually, and your chances of finding a decent job would be worse.

Do you need to worry that you can no longer learn at your age? Not at all. You might find it easier becaue of your life experience. Your experience with your daughter's healthcare will actually give you a valuable frame of reference to build on.

Do you need to worry that you might not know how to study? YES! That is going to be the big factor in your success or lack of it. Not because of your age, but because it is for everyone. There is a nice book on Amazon called "Build Like an Ant" by DJ Chung, a Duke University graduate who explains the advice his wise mother gave to help him become high school valedictorian. Every word will help you. The Kindle version is only .99 (at least it is today). If you have no Kindle, download Amazon's free Kindle reader software to your computer so you can read that book.

There is other advice on the net about studying. Students at major universities often have websites with that kind of information. Just Google for it.

I know I started off kind of silly, but I tried to answer your concerns. Or what I thought your concerns might be. Was I even close? If not, tell us more so we can understand what you are looking for.

Stay at home mom to Coder - Jan

[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I was 47 when I decided to go to school for Medical Billing and Coding. I wanted to work at home on the pc and this is what I chose. My children all supported me and chipped in to help with quizzing me before various tests. I was nervous when I started in January of 2011. I will be 49 next month and currently doing my externship. I graduate in July 2012. So my advice to you is to hold your head up, concentrate and try not to be nervous. After the first week everything will just flow.

Thank You - RR

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for responding!!! Yes Im worrying about the studying already!! My daughter is excited that she'll be able to help me study. Everything in both of your posts is what I feel. Training, studying, passing tests, job search when training is over and YES the young ones LOL !!! I wanted to hear from others who may have felt the same. Thank you again... I know the fear will pass!!!

Suggestion - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The easiest way to study is to teach someone else. Turn your lessons into learning for your daughter. You will both have fun.
Great Idea - RR
[ In Reply To ..]
Thats a great idea Coder!! That would help me with learning the material and she would love that. It would also include her in what I am doing so she wont feel left out. Thank you..

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Work At Home As A Medical Coder?
Aug 22, 2012

nm ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

TTS - Stay Away
Feb 04, 2010

Stay away from this place.  They have no technical support and terrible communication. I tried to work with them for 3 weeks and was never able to work without problems.  The owner told unemployment that my issues were normal technical issues, resulting in my benefits being suspended.  I also spent money on software and upgraded my ISP and she's saying I didn't give enough effort! It's been my past experience that when I start with a new company platform that after a few days ...

Why I Stay
Aug 23, 2010

As much as I hate it here, I feel like I am trapped here. I am getting ready for major surgery and need the insurance. I can't afford to go to another co. and wait for insurance to kick in, plus "pre-existing condition" worries. I could just sit and cry when I start work. NJA and helper pools for hours, plus I don't feel well.  Flame me if you want (usually someone does), tell me how lucky I am to have a job with insurance. I really am beyond caring. Okay, just my private pity p ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
Sep 08, 2010

like many of you, Ive been with MQ for a while, pushing 10 yrs, and like most of you, have gotten spooked by the changes of late.  Mostly the NJA and now the all ME work, which I can finally see, can really be not too much of a big deal. have the chance to either change my status, adding hrs and gaining some PTO, or making a total change and going to another, much smaller company.  Similar MT rate, less for ASR there, no PTO for P/T. feel afraid to make a move either way...is MQ stil ...

Why Do You All Stay?
Dec 27, 2012

I understand all the difficulties involved in trying to get into another line of work but why do so many of you stay month after month when you have no work?  It's not going to get any better.  I have had work but the work is so terrible that I suspect they won't put a lot of MTs on it because they can't handle it.  I've been doing this over 40 years and the work makes me want to cry much of the time.  I'm only part-time and think if I had to do this full-time I woul ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go ?
Feb 13, 2013

So, the long and short of it.  I have been an IC for the last 15 years.  I have typed for orthopods, general practioners, neurologists, dermatologists, and have done 2 years of acute care (both in-house and at home).  After transplanting to TX and losing my full-time job in MI, I've been searching for that "perfect" transcription job.  I love being an MT .... love the work, the flexibility, etc ... and have been told on many occasion that I am good at what I do ...

Stay Or Go?
Mar 23, 2014

Having a hard time deciding whether I should continue working for MM until they go under and have to lay off everyone and I could collect unemployment or if I should just leave, thereby leaving behind all the stress and frustration that I feel daily. I do not necessarily need the $, but it does help pay some bills. If I stay, I would have to do some training for Fluency and switch to VR from straight transcription. I know my pay will be cut drastically with this change. I'm not sure I ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Questions For CODER
Jun 05, 2012

I have read many of your postings and find them all to be extremely intelligent, informative, and logical.  Here is my situation.  Seven years as MT (mostly acute care accounts with H&P's, discharge summaries, consultations, operations and procedures).  I have a BA in biology and a master's in ecology.  Was making good income until editing replaced transcribing, plus industry rates keep going down with constant buyouts/mergers.  I am 61 years old. I h ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Coder And Coder2 -- Help?!
Sep 21, 2013

I am grappling with something in my mind.  Can you clarify it for me?  What would be the difference between a late effect and a past history when you are coding?   In my book they say "Leg pain resulting from old fracture" or "Intellectual disability due to previous poliomyelitis".  And that's obviously a late effect.  But in my mind, I just can't see doctors telling you that so prettily and obviously.  How do you know if something is a late effe ...

What My Coder Friends Said
Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!" "OMG!  What is wrong with them?" "Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane." "And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!" "Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow." "Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?" "Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Wi ...

Coder II Job Description
Mar 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if this is an entry level coder job or does it sound like they are looking for a more experienced person? I am taking the CPC-H exam June 6th. It states medical records coder II.  Qualifications: EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred. Eligible for RHIT or coding certification. SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Codes all diagnosis and procedures on discharged inpatient, and outpatient charts using ICD-9 diagnosis codes, ICD-9 procedure c ...

MM Coder Training.
Jun 27, 2014

Have you heard any more about whether MM will be offering the program again in July? ...

OMG! Just Got A New Job As An Inhouse Coder
Jul 12, 2014

(not my first), and STARTING pay is $60K a year!  I'm ecstatic!  Can't give out the name of the hospital, but will give out the state:  OREGON ...