A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Let's code a colonoscopy dilemma! - JM

Posted: Apr 22, 2010

Op report reason:  Screening and Diarrhea.  Colonoscopy done, polyp found and removed.  The reason for the colonoscopy is both Screening and Diarrhea.  In fact, doc documents prime reason for colonoscopy is screening and second reason diarrhea.  What is the diagnosis code for this?  If a coder has to code by the documentation and the doctor's final answer is that it is for both a screening and for diarrhea, what is a coder to do? 

What is he screening for? - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]
What is he screening for, and does he think the diarrhea is a symptom of it?

Colonoscopy - JM

[ In Reply To ..]
This pt has never had a screening for colon cancer. By age, pt is just due for one. A screening by definition/guidelines - V76.51 is for/in a person with no symptoms, right? So, using V76.51 and also listing diarrhea would get you in trouble, yes? IS it diarrhea or is it a screening. This is the bind, doc wants it for both. You can't have your cake...

Ah ha! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, no, you can't have both a screening and diagnostic colonoscopy at the same time. You're correct . . . it's not a screening if there are symptoms.

The issue is whether the diarrhea warranted the colonoscopy. If the diarrhea was significant enough to warrant colonoscopy, and if your payer considers a colonoscopy to be medically necessary for it, then this is not a screening.

Does he tell you what caused the diarrhea and is it something other than the polyp? If so, that something is the first-listed diagnosis. The polyp is second, with no mention of V76.51.

If he feels the polyp caused the diarrhea, then list the polyp first. You could list the diarrhea after.

If it had been a screening AND the diarrhea was incidental and not enough to warrant a colonoscopy, you would use V76.51 first, the polyps, and then the diarrhea.

I'm not sure what his issue is, but he can't get paid for this twice. What's the point in insisting on calling it a screening?? Does the payer pay more for screenings? (??)

I'd check the payer's instructions, too, like the Medicare website for your state. Look at the LCD.

You can use V76.51 and diarrhea, if you were truly screening for a malignant neoplasm and you did not feel the diarrhea was a worrisome symptom and if it was not significant enough to warrant a colonoscopy.

I think I got that straight. :)

Colonoscopy. This is the world of coding, folks! - JM
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what the issue is with this doctor, it doesn't matter. The fact is that this is just how he documents. Where does it say I can use diarrhea or a symptom with a V76.51? I need that in writing! I feel I cannot code the diarrhea with a screening V76.51 because that is a symptom; therefore, that would cancel out the screening because it is showing the pt has a symptom! Chicken or the egg? I code for the facility side and follow Coding Clinic and Medicare guidelines which define a screening as done on a pt with no symptoms. No, they don't know what caused the diarrhea, no the polyp did not cause the diarrhea, not from the documentation. Therefore, diarrhea is the primary diagnosis. All opinions welcome!
Well, maybe . . . - Redpen
[ In Reply To ..]
I think you're on the right track.

Just for the sake of argument, what would you code if it was a screening that found a polyp? V76.51, polyp, or would you use polyp, V76.51?

Your answer should be V76.51, polyp. So, you see, you CAN use another diagnosis with V76.51. You code hemorrhoids, fissures, and diverticuli found on a screening, don't you? The sky doesn't fall.

You have an awkward situation with this kind of documentation. Sometimes it's easier to find documentation telling you what you CAN'T do than it is to find documentation telling you what you CAN do. The list of what you CAN do would be impossibly long, after all.

Another consideration . . . you'll need to use a code which includes removal of the polyp. That's going to have to be linked to the polyp, because diarrhea isn't going to do it.
colo - JM
[ In Reply To ..]
If it was a screening, it would be V76.51 and whatever is found during this screening is a secondary diagnosis, but primary remains a screening. Simple! Lovely! Yes, of course I code what is found during the screening and, yes, I would code the procedure. The diarrhea was not found during the procedure, it was a symptom coming in.

I am talking about the INDICATION for the colonoscopy. Screening and diarrhea.

In my scenario, the REASON for the colonoscopy was diarrhea and screening. This patient is coming in with a symptom that is one of the reasons the colonoscopy is being done. I am saying that you cannot have both. It is either a screening or a diagnostic. See? And if there is a symptom, it cannot be called a screening.
Yup, I see that! - Redpen
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I do see that. However, I felt obligated to raise all possiblities just so everyone could see how much fun coding is! (Thankfully, it's usually not this much fun.)

So, if you fear that coding is just copying the codes a doctor uses, here's evidence to the contrary. Coders can't just parrot the language the doctor uses, either. They have to make rational decisions about what really happened.

If he did that looking for the cause of the diarrhea, then that was his motive. At that point, there is no screening going on--he has a reason for that colonoscopy.

Yes, fun - JM
[ In Reply To ..]

Yes. A challenge. I'll post more. I have a lot of "fun" ones. I like hearing everyone else's take. Am I too rigid? Both of you responded that you would have posted the screening and also the diarrhea. I like Redpen’s answer about finding documentation telling you what you can't do and finding documentation telling you what you can do. In many situations there are not hard-fast rules to guide you to be found. If it does not say you can't, maybe you can. I find the rule/guideline and strictly follow, but they are not black and white.
This was fun to watch! Do more please. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Dilemma
Aug 02, 2010

After my worst day ever Friday and making next to nothing for the day, I had contemplated all weekend giving my notice this morning.  I have crunched numbers, talked with the husband and child, cried, and prayed.   My first two jobs this morning were for a dictator I could not even understand his name, doing cardio, in letter form to God-knows-who.  I (think) I sent the first one to QA.  The second one I am pretty sure I put all the troubles in the QA marker and then for ...

Serious Dilemma
Sep 16, 2014

Has anyone run across a suicide planning document?  Wondering how I can NOT be a participant in that... thx for any response. ...

QA Submission Dilemma
May 27, 2010

Report from a new dictator, not English-speaking of course, 84 lines, 10 QA markers.  Listened through the whole stupid thing twice to get it down to 10 markers, looked up old reports on the same patient, wasted a great deal of time trying to find anything helpful.  So finally sent to to QA.  Just checked to see if THEY were able to fill in any of the gobblety-goop.  Hasn't been done.  This will probably set me over the allowed 5% and for all that horrific work I di ...

Company Dilemma
Jan 04, 2011

I have 28 years experience as an MT. I recently left Spheris after MQ bought them out. I got a job doing clinic work, fantastic hours, decent benefits, and the people are totally wonderful. However, as some of you know, clinic work is hard to make a dollar with. I have seen the ads for Med-Scribe from Florida and I am wondering if I should apply. I really have to make more money than I'm making now. ...

My Dilemma W/ This Board
Feb 19, 2012

I've done this job for 12-plus yrs now, and I definitely agree w/ those who say we should have the grammar, spelling, research skills, etc., before we're even hired.  That said, occasionally I have a brain freeze when I have a PA or some such who can't pronounce a drug and refuses to give me a hint how to spell it.  I still refuse to tear someone down on here who has the stones to ask a question.  If the terminology is beginner-type stuff and it makes me suspect it ...

Is The Phrase "code Blue" Generally Capitalized As Code Blue Or Not?nm
Dec 17, 2010

nm ...

LINE RATE DILEMMA
Sep 13, 2012

My last couple of companies have been devoured by the squid so i'm again exploring other options. Better to take an offer of 9 cents per line for ESL/difficult dictators or 6 cents per line for easy work? Both call themselves IC, though really they aren't (want a schedule).   ...

Keystrokes Or Acusis, My Dilemma Continues.....
Sep 18, 2013

PT/Acusis or FT/Keystrokes/ Radiology/3rd shift@ $1 a report.  After being fired from what I thought would be a great job for me (Amphion), I'm gun shy. ...

Colonoscopy - Translumen
Sep 01, 2010

I am transcribing a colonoscopy report and the doctor states, "...The cecum was reached and identified.  The light translumen in the right lower quadrant.  The ileocecal valve was noted." I am having a hard time hearing, "The light translumen in the right lower quadrant."  The light translumen is the difficult part to hear.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Could this be correct? (P.S.- he typically leaves verbs out, so it could be - was in the right lower quadran ...

Colonoscopy - Mucopurulent ?
Nov 15, 2010

"Examination of the colon revealed mild colitis characterized by tiny mucopurulent (spots) in the transverse and descending colon." The word he uses acutally sounds like spock.  Could be spots but I just want to see if anyone knows something different? Thanks. ...

Colonoscopy Endoscopy
Aug 03, 2011

Is there any reason why I *should* type BOTH "colonoscopy endoscopy"? Or should I just omit "endoscopy"? Yes, it's an ESL doc. ...

Colonoscopy Classification
Nov 29, 2011

In a colonoscopy report, doc is dictating, s/l ? body I, ASA II.  I know about the ASA classification, but not sure about the other.  Thanks! ...

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors
Mar 06, 2015

link below ...

Biopsy Forceps In Colonoscopy
Sep 20, 2011

Dictated:  there was a small polyp in the cecum which was removed using large s/l bodding biopsy forceps. bodding, body-and, biting, bodine... I hear the 'b' at the start, the 't' or 'd' in the middle, and 'ing' or 'ine' on the end.     Any suggestions?  Thanks! ...

Fentanyl 50 Mg For A Colonoscopy - Shouldn't It Be Mcg?
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

Colonoscopy Report Question
Jul 15, 2012

Colonoscopy. The endoscope was advanced through the "Bowels of Houston." Thank you for any help. Jolly MT. ...

Code Blue Or Code Blue For Beg Of Sentence?
Dec 29, 2014

xx ...

Colonoscopy - Small Polyp That Was S/l Fil/der/ated ?? No Msg. Tx
Mar 01, 2013

x ...

Colonoscopy Showing Active Colitis Along With A Transverse Descending Sigmoid And Rectum Biopsies Of
Oct 22, 2011

nm ...

What Is This Code?
Nov 24, 2010

Does anyone know what this code is?  It keeps popping up on my blank document prior to CTRL-S to bring in a standard.   <non-s> and another one with the letters "red-s".   I can't type it in here, because when I do, it leaves a blank instead of those letters in brackets "red-s" Thanks! ...

Now There's A Whole New Pay Code
Mar 14, 2013

we now have the option of "Excused Absence - No Work".  ...

To Code Or Not
Mar 15, 2014

The truth is that transcription has changed and it will never go back to the good old days.  Mmodal sees this too.  They are shifting as is the norm these days.  Nothing is static.  They are transitioning and they are inviting you to go with them.  I am glad to see a training program for coders.  There are not enough coders out here.  Please be prepared to work your butt off.  Take it, work it, and learn it.  Coding is a unique, important, challenging ...

Code Blue
Oct 15, 2009

It is transcribed Code Blue or code blue?  Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Code Blue, CODE BLUE, Or Code Blue?
Mar 16, 2010

Thanks for help.  Brain doesn't seem to be working this morning ...

3-2-1 Code It ! 2nd Edition
Jan 07, 2011

Has anyone ever used this textbook and accompanying workbook? I was wondering if the answers were provided for the workbook before ordering it. Thanks ...

My Road To Code...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi coders,  I'm an MT with many years of experience and am trying to break into coding and billing.  I am starting with an on line course to get the basics and overview of the process. When I am done with that I will take a class at my community college to refresh and hopefully network.  Does this sound like a good plan to anyone?  Anything to recommend to be supplementing so I will do well on whatever certification tests are necessary when the time comes?  Thanks! ...

WRKA Code/help
Dec 28, 2011

Can anyone tell me when we receive NJA do we sign out immediately and then sign back in with the WRKA procedure highlighted in teamwork and without closing out docqscribe and waiting for the 15 minutes and say we do get work within 15 minute period do we just continue to be signed in until we are ready to sign off? I'm confused with this.  I know they want us to do the coding now in the teamwork for this 15 minute pay. TIA ...

Anyone Else Code In Their Sleep?
Jan 20, 2012

I know I'm finally learning something when I start doing it in my sleep. ...

A Code GI Bleeding?
Jan 30, 2012

Am I hearing this right? History of iron-deficiency anemia due to a (s/l code) GI bleeding. ...

BRCA Code
Apr 13, 2012

Doc dictates "BRCA thirty-two ninety-seven deletion six"   what is the proper way to type that value.  I've tried googling it and can't come up w/ anything I'm comfortable with. ...