A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Am I too old to be studying to be a medical coder - Doozer

Posted: Jun 14, 2010

Dear Coders:

I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to transition into medical coding.  I am 53 and I want to know if you think I am too old to start a new career as a medical coder. I would like to start the Andrews School or Career Step on September 1, 2010.  I would like some advice.  Thanks.l

Doozer

coding - longs for "old days" of transcription

[ In Reply To ..]
I would never say one is too old to learn, but realize ICD-9 coding will be changing soon to ICD-10 coding. All the current codes will change, ex. htn. 401.9 won't be that code in 2 years. What you will learn now won't apply in 2013. This will require additional training.

Code changes - no worries!

[ In Reply To ..]
People should not let the fact that ICD-10 is coming in 3 years keep them from training today for a career in coding! First of all, we don't memorize codes. We learn HOW to do coding. It is a process that people will need to know. It also is unlikely that it will take 3 years to complete a coding course. I'm sure that employers will provide whatever training is necessary for their coders to make the transition to ICD-10. I think there is a lot of needless hysteria about the fact that things are going to change a bit. Changes occur in EVERY field. People can and will adapt.

Benefits of learning now - MTLC

[ In Reply To ..]
I have seen some coders mention that the benefits of learning coding now is that everyone will be in the same boat when ICD-10 training starts. If we get educated now plus a year or two of experience under our belts, we will know what all the other coders are talking about when we learn the changes.

Plus, some courses/schools may offer ICD-10 training at a reduced cost for those who took their course. It's a good idea to ask when checking out a school/course.

I have to respond to one statement - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
your statement "I'm sure employers will provide whatever training is necessary for their coders to make the transition to ICD-10" is a presumption on your part and not necessarily true. I know for fact it is not true for the organization where i work. we have been told that as professionals it is our responsibility to maintain and upgrade our skills! And I know other coders who have been told basically the same thing by their facilities. I know many coders who are now considering their options for whatever they will need to transition to ICD-10 on their own.
I agree with CJ that you may have to upgrade on your own - Linda Andrews
[ In Reply To ..]
I suspect there will be many different seminars and workshops available for that purpose. There's still lots of time between now and then, CJ, but I wonder if they will give you the time off if you sign up for one of the seminars. I hope so! :)

On being too old to learn ICD-10 - Redpen

[ In Reply To ..]

No, you aren't too old!  Not at all.  You will find your advanced years to be an advantage in coding.  Seriously, younger individuals often lack a certain degree of maturity and tend to have a narrow, sketchy focus.  They're often in too darned much of a hurry and lack attention to detail.   Many coders are career-changers and second-careerers.

OK, about ICD-10.  This is what someone above said:  ICD-9 coding will be changing soon to ICD-10 coding. All the current codes will change, ex. htn. 401.9 won't be that code in 2 years. What you will learn now won't apply in 2013. This will require additional training.

You're correct that additional training will be required.  But, coders require additional training EVERY year. 

What you learn now WILL apply.  You will be surprised at how much is the same from one code set to the other.  The general principles you learn now will carry over.  Are the diseases that affect mankind going to change?  No.   401.9 will be I10, but, you know, you're not supposed to be memorizing codes anyway, are you?  (No, you're not.) It will be in the same general area in the code book with the same diseases and conditions that keep it company now.   The coding guidelines are mostly the same. 

You'll also need to know ICD-9 in order to code anything that occurred prior to the date the code set changed.  You'll need to know it in order to use older coded data, sort out denied claims, and all sorts of other things. 

And, it isn't true that ALL the codes will change.  Only ICD-9 will change.  Everything currently coded in CPT and HCPCS will remain the same.  You could almost say that only half the codes will change. 

And, no, I'm not posting this because I want to sign people up for Andrews.  I'm doing it because no one deserves to make the wrong career decision because of misinformation.

Too old? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are too old then so am I. I am almost 56 and started Career Step in May. I want to work as an MT for as long as there is a job for me with my current employer but hope my coding skills will come in handy too. Good luck with your classes.

You are never too old to learn! Go for it! - Myka

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 47 and going back to school the end of August. You are never too old to learn. Good luck!

im 50 and going back to school for coding in August - GOOD LUCK!

[ In Reply To ..]
Best to you!

51 here and starting classes in August (sm) - another oldie

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope we're not too old! :)
we're not old, we will look EXPERIENCED :-), nm. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
lol
too old - newbie
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL Im 53 and I am taking a course! No, you are never too old to learn, as a matter of fact, I had someone tell me once that the older you are the better you learn (not distracted by boys, clothes, mom, dad, sister, friends, etc.)

Similar Messages:

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Medical Coding - Do Any Of You Regret Becoming A Coder?
Dec 27, 2011

Do any of you regret becoming a coder? ...

Does Anyone Work At Home As A Medical Coder?
Aug 22, 2012

nm ...

MCOD Medical Coder Job Listing
Mar 12, 2013

x ...

Remote Medical Coder Position
Nov 12, 2013

I noticed that Precyse Solutions has a job posting for a remote medical coder. Does anyone know what they pay? ...

Is There A Test That I Can Take Or Quizzes That Will See If I Am Made To Be A Medical Coder
Jun 16, 2010

Dear Coders and students:I want to know if there is a test that i can take or a quiz that I can take to see if medical coding is right for me. I know they have pre tests for medical transcription,  but I would like to see if there is one I can take for medical coding.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.   Doozer ...

They Are Studying Whether We Need A
Mar 19, 2012

how long should that take?? ...

Studying For RMT Exam
Oct 11, 2010

I am studying for RMT exam and cannot find what furc/o means in terms of combining forms, prefixes or suffixes.   Thanx ...

Studying For MT And I Have Questions
Oct 19, 2010

I recently found this career from my Aunt.  She works at a doctor's office and told me that her friend recently quit doing it because she no longer needed the extra work or money.  From research on the internet, I found an at home course to get certified to be a Medical Transcriptionist.  I just spent $1,100 for this at home course and I get to keep the Medical Transcription Third Edition book along with the Infinity Foot Control.  The woman my Aunt knows was taking clas ...

I'm Studying To Take The CCS Exam
May 27, 2013

I'm studying to take the CCS Exam.  Has anyone taken it and could you give me a few pointers?  Were you able to finish the test in the four hours given?  ...

Question For Raine59 Re 2h Qd Studying
May 10, 2010

The Andrews School web site says it will take 12 to 24 months to complete the course. My questions to you are: How long will it take you at 2 hours a day, and how many days a week do you study? Thanks for any info. ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Questions For CODER
Jun 05, 2012

I have read many of your postings and find them all to be extremely intelligent, informative, and logical.  Here is my situation.  Seven years as MT (mostly acute care accounts with H&P's, discharge summaries, consultations, operations and procedures).  I have a BA in biology and a master's in ecology.  Was making good income until editing replaced transcribing, plus industry rates keep going down with constant buyouts/mergers.  I am 61 years old. I h ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Coder And Coder2 -- Help?!
Sep 21, 2013

I am grappling with something in my mind.  Can you clarify it for me?  What would be the difference between a late effect and a past history when you are coding?   In my book they say "Leg pain resulting from old fracture" or "Intellectual disability due to previous poliomyelitis".  And that's obviously a late effect.  But in my mind, I just can't see doctors telling you that so prettily and obviously.  How do you know if something is a late effe ...

What My Coder Friends Said
Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!" "OMG!  What is wrong with them?" "Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane." "And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!" "Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow." "Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?" "Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Wi ...

Coder II Job Description
Mar 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if this is an entry level coder job or does it sound like they are looking for a more experienced person? I am taking the CPC-H exam June 6th. It states medical records coder II.  Qualifications: EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred. Eligible for RHIT or coding certification. SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Codes all diagnosis and procedures on discharged inpatient, and outpatient charts using ICD-9 diagnosis codes, ICD-9 procedure c ...