A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

very informative post about IC versus employee - NC MT

Posted: Jun 03, 2012

The IRS Gives Employees a Whistle to Blow and Employers a Safe Harbor

By Peter Milne | Published: May 5, 2011

The IRS has given an employee worker wrongly clas­si­fied as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor a very loud whis­tle to blow and employ­ers the means to obtain an advance deter­mi­na­tion of worker clas­si­fi­ca­tion to avoid future dis­putes and tax liabilities.

When is a worker an employee or an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor for fed­eral income tax pur­poses? Dis­putes over employee or inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor clas­si­fi­ca­tion fre­quently arise and the out­come is usu­ally very impor­tant to one and very expen­sive for the other. Mis­takes are some­times made, but more often, employ­ers will incor­rectly clas­sify an employee as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor for sev­eral rea­sons. The most com­mon rea­son is to avoid the pay­ment of the employer’s por­tion of employ­ment taxes (usu­ally about 7.5% of gross). The sec­ond rea­son is to avoid the prepa­ra­tion and fil­ing of quar­terly 941 employ­ment tax returns. Another rea­son is to avoid mak­ing employ­ment tax deposits. Some­times, employ­ers may not under­stand the legal and tax dif­fer­ence between an employee or inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor and clas­sify the worker in what­ever way the worker suggests.

A worker who should be clas­si­fied as an employee may want to be treated as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor so that pay­roll taxes and fed­eral income taxes are not with­held from his or her earn­ings. More com­mon is the sit­u­a­tion where a worker who is clas­si­fied as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor wants to be treated as an employee so that more of his or her earn­ings are reported to the Social Secu­rity Admin­is­tra­tion. The more income reported as earned, the higher the monthly retire­ment ben­e­fit. In cer­tain trades and busi­nesses, such as con­struc­tion, land­scap­ing, house­keep­ing, jan­i­to­r­ial, farm­ing, ranch­ing, fish­ing, repair and maintenance-where work­ers tra­di­tion­ally earn piece­meal or by the job and are often unskilled and less edu­cated –the worker sim­ply has no choice as to whether they are clas­si­fied as an employee or as an inde­pen­dent contractor.

The IRS pro­vides Form SS-8 -Deter­mi­na­tion of Worker Sta­tus for Pur­poses of Fed­eral Employ­ment Taxes and Income Tax With­hold­ing– for use by an employer when the employer is not sure how to clas­sify a worker. Upon sub­mis­sion of the SS-8, the IRS will make an advance deter­mi­na­tion of how the worker should be clas­si­fied, which gives the employer a safe har­bor if the worker ever com­plains or if the wrong clas­si­fi­ca­tion is made.

In addi­tion, the IRS pro­vides Form 8819– Uncol­lected Social Secu­rity and Medicare Tax on Wages- to a worker who believes that his or her employ­ment clas­si­fi­ca­tion is incor­rect. Form 8819 is the big, loud and often very expen­sive whis­tle, that when sub­mit­ted with Form SS-8, alerts the IRS to a pos­si­ble improper clas­si­fi­ca­tion and per­mits the employer’s por­tion of social secu­rity and medicare taxes to be cred­ited in advance to the worker’s social secu­rity record.

If the IRS ulti­mately agrees that the whis­tle blow­ing worker has been mis­clas­si­fied, the actions of the employer will be care­fully scru­ti­nized. An employer who improp­erly clas­si­fies an employee as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor may be sub­jected to an audit. The books and records of the employer will be exam­ined and work­ers may be ques­tioned. In addi­tion to an after the fact assess­ment of the employer’s por­tion of employ­ment taxes, the employer who mis­clas­si­fies a worker or work­ers may be sub­jected to ordi­nary civil fail­ure to deposit, fail­ure to file and fail­ure to pay when due (delin­quency) penal­ties, the more seri­ous civil fraud penalty and the most seri­ous of all, a fed­eral crime. None of these out­comes are good for busi­ness, even in the best of times.

If you are an employer that is unsure of how to clas­sify a worker, that has dis­cov­ered cer­tain work­ers have been mis­clas­si­fied, or that has inten­tion­ally mis­clas­si­fied work­ers, seek legal assis­tance imme­di­ately. If you are a worker who believes that he or she has been mis­clas­si­fied and wants some recourse, don’t wait to blow the whistle.

The area of worker clas­si­fi­ca­tion can be very con­fus­ing. Mis­takes are com­mon. Mis­clas­si­fi­ca­tion of worker sta­tus to keep costs low or for exploita­tive pur­poses fre­quently hap­pen.

I wonder if - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can do that after you are no longer working as an IC. I worked as an IC for 2-1/2 years and I believe that I should have been an employee the whole time, but I have not worked there in almost 2 years. Wonder if they go back that far?

Yes you can! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You can still submit your form to the IRS to receive a determination letter even though you are not currently working there.

IC in transcription was popular in the early 80s. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
At that time 10 cents to 13 cents some were getting as being an IC. Some disgruntled MTs filed unfair labor disputes. I only heard stories through other small services at that time and that there were several owners who were about to lose their homes because of the taxes. Then MTs were changed to 'statutory employees.' The small service I worked for then, she had to attend meetings on how the laws were coming down on this profession because of the tax evasion practices. Then I remember the ruling also came out that if a business had 6 employees, she HAD to OFFER health coverage (could be unaffordable and near NO coverage)but had to be OFFERED. Maybe different laws too in different states. Many laws, many changes we have seen. Now IC and employees and less benefits and less wages, but still taxes! The saying nothing is for certain except death and taxes has not changed as this job IS killing us.

Similar Messages:

IC Versus Employee
May 14, 2011

This post is not what you probably thought it was going to be.  I am not going to list the pros and cons of being an IC or am employee. It appears that MTSOs are "fudging" on these two classifications of workers to get the advantages. For example, as an IC you make your own hours.  There is no schedule; that is the nature of being an IC.  Yet these MTSOs want you to work a set schedule.  Another example:  You are hired as an employee.   Because you're an employee, you shoul ...

IC Versus Employee?
Aug 02, 2011

Would anyone care to share their preference as to IC versus employee? I am curious as to which is best and thinking of switching to employee status.  ...

Employee Versus IC
Apr 17, 2012

Can anyone give me feedback on switching from IC to an employee from home? I'm thinking about doing it but unsure if it would be wise .. It seems like the grass would be greener on the other side (in terms of benefits, W2 status for taxes, etc) but I hate to give up my freedom as IC unless it is REALLY worth it in the end. Also, is making 8 cpl after 4 years reasonable wage? Thanks for any input!! ...

IC Versus Employee AGAIN
Mar 26, 2013

I just started as an IC with a company I really like but they want me to work 8 hours a day. No problem. But it has to be a set time each day on a schedule submitted in advance and I have to let them know in advance if it changes. Now the reason I work as an IC and give up the benefits is so that I have flexibility. I had thought that as long as I work the number of hours during the morning or afternoon they want, I can't be held to a set schedule. Why do companies ALWAYS think they can ...

Employee Versus IC PT Status
Nov 23, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow with a company for PT employee status.  I have been an IC for many years and love it.  I am a bit concerned about going employee as I am used to the flexibility of being able to take time off for my kids' school parties, fall, winter and spring breaks and such without it affecting my job.  Can anyone give me a clue as to how employee status works and if some companies are more flexible than others?? I would love to stay an IC, but haven't f ...

IC VERSUS EMPLOYEE STATUS
May 09, 2011

I have an opportunity from two different companies. One is IC and the other as an employee. I have been an IC for so long.  What is the pros and cons of both.   TIA ...

Employee Versus IC--opinions?
Oct 31, 2012

I would like others opinions on employee versus IC status. I don't want to pass up an opportunity because its IC as I have been mainly applying to companies who offer employee status. Thanks! ...

IC Versus Statutory Employee
May 01, 2013

Can someone please explain the difference between an IC and a statutory employee, I have looked it up and am not clear.  I understand that statutory employees get social security taken out, when ICs get nothing taken out, but what are the other differences? Thanks. ...

Employee Versus IC Status
Sep 17, 2014

I have been a medical transcriptionist for 22 years' and have worked as an employee for most of that time.  I am still about 10 years out from retirement and am trying desparately to hang on to my beloved profession of medical transcription, but I am seeing it slip away from me little by little.  Companies who hire employees seem to seldom have enough work to go around, harangue their employees through QA, and tie benefits to production.  All these things combined are making it difficult ...

TTS Insurance..IC Versus Employee Status
Jun 04, 2010

I am considering TTS (Transcription, Technology, and Support) and was wondering what anyone could tell me about their insurance such as rates, etc.  Also, I'd like to hear from both IC and employees there.  I didn't know which would be the best way to go.  Thanks! ...

Can Someone Explain IC Versus Employee Status?
Mar 01, 2011

Can someone fill me in please.  Despite doing this for over 15 years, I still don't understand the "independent contractor" posts.  I have always been a straight employee at services.  What is the difference and what are the pros and cons?  Thanks for your help! ...

Pros And Cons Of IC Versus Employee ??
Jan 02, 2015

x ...

Independent Versus Full Time Employee
Sep 14, 2010

What is the benefit of working as an independent? Is the pay different? ...

Independent Contractor Versus Employee Status
Jan 16, 2011

Can anyone tell me if there are any advantages to being an independent contractor versus an employee?  I'm worried about being able to set aside taxes if they are not taken out automatically -- I work because I need the money and would prefer to not have to "bank it" for taxes later.  Seems like it is getting harder to find employee status jobs thay are not voice recognition / editing positions.  ...

Employee Status Versus Independent Contractor
Mar 13, 2015

Can someone tell me which position is more financially rewarding? Do ICs get 401k and whatnot? Basically, can someone tell me the differences between the 2?   Thanks so much. I am an idiot with money and taxes. ...

Anyone Willing To Do An Informative Interview
Jan 20, 2010

I am about half way to getting my MT certificate. I have an assignment in my career development class where I have to set up a phone informative interview with somebody in the MT field. It would be about 15-20 mins. and I would basically be asking about your personal experiances, advice, ect. If anybody would be willing to help me out on this, it would be greatly appreaciated. Please let me know as I have to have something set up by Fri. The interview does not have to be by Fri. just have to hav ...

I Love Shaw's New Tip!! So Informative
Nov 19, 2013

Need for speed.  Really love that one.  I can tell Shaw has transcribed multiple times before. ha ha ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Post Audit And Now A Post Audit M Report!!
Jan 19, 2015

Has anybody gotten the above email stating now there are 2 post audit reports that we have to pull?  The regular one and now a post audit m report???  What is this for???  This gets crazier every day ...

IC Or Employee?
Jan 18, 2011

Looks like the law is as gray as I've always thought. ...

IC Vs. Employee
Sep 01, 2011

I have only had one long-term position as an employee for an MT company. Left to get some work out in the "real world" but am in a position to return to an at-home job. Can someone explain the differences between an IC and an employee? What can I expect from applying for those jobs, and how does it affect your taxes, etc.? Thanks in advance!  ...

New Employee
Sep 15, 2011

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever post anything friendly, kind, useful, thankful, etc. regarding MedQuist? Iâm a new employee and due to a recent acquisition would be out of a job without their support. Before accepting the offer I researched the company quite a bitâ¦M*Model merger, DocQscribe, stock prices and company growth to name a few. All this enables me to say that Iâm employed by the #1 transcription company in the country and dang proud of itï ...

Possible That I May Be A MQ Employee Soon
Oct 20, 2011

Hi everyone,  It seems the hospital I am employed by may be outsourcing completely to mq. Rumor has it, if this happens then the 20 or so MTs will be going to MQ or not have a job. Can anyone tell me what I am looking at if that happens, trying to figure out if I should be looking for employment elsewhere.  here are my main questions:  1.  Is there a starting pay or is everyone paid differently? 2.  Is there a schedule or is it flexible? 3.  What kind of benefi ...