A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

mttest vs career step mttest - Testing Styles

Posted: Sep 30, 2010

On the mttest site I have noticed that some are by Career Step and others are not.  I always pass the ones that are not, but when Career Step is involved, I seem to be told every time I need more schooling and this is after being an MT for 18 years and also having run my own business. 

Does anyone know of any companies that do not use Career Step for testing?  Where I work now didnt and I had no problems.  Other places I worked, I was not tested with Career Step involved and passed with no problems.

Any companies out there not using Career Step for testing?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

Testing Styles - cat/curious

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had the identical experience, passing the test several times except when Career Step is involved. I have been an MT for 7 years, graduating from an online course in 2003. On taking the test, I worked slowly, carefully, and believe I actually got 100%. I was shocked to be told that I should get additional schooling. Do you think we are supposed to become interested in Career Step as a potential school???

Testing - Career Step - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have to actually be in testing mode to find out which ones are Career Step or can anyone share names of companies that do?

Yes, me too - Mtgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Funnily, I graduated from Career Step and right after graduation I had no problems passing those tests, but oddly it's been 5 years and I just took one the other day and it said I needed more training. I actually think these companies that are using these as their test method are in cahoots with Career Step in drumming up business for them. Just makes me wonder....

Makes me wonder too.... - Testing Styles

[ In Reply To ..]
It's funny also that I always make it past the first part of the test, but the second part, I'm told I need more schooling. It is starting to look like they are promoting going Career Step first and then that company will hire you for even smaller pay than what is being paid now, if that is possible lol.

Testing - abcd

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you are correct. I know someone personally who works for Career Step and that is exactly what they do. If I see a job ad that requires the Career Step testing, I don't even bother.
so to me the questions are - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
does anyone actually get hired from CS testers? Another question - is it legit testing or is it just CS pretending they are intermediaries for companies? Are the companies on to them yet?

Is there some place to report this to? Can you talk to someone at the - companies directly? (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Ditto - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I have had the same thing happening to me. I have 28 years experience and also could not believe I did not even get past the first part. Something is fishy!!!

Here is some info about using MTTest -- posts by me. - Ex-Manager

[ In Reply To ..]
http://forum.mtstars.com/230789.html

http://forum.mtstars.com/231418.html

These give you some idea of the why and how, etc.

Ex-Manager

Thanks very much, Ex-Manager. I missed your informative posts - first time around. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Career Step MTTest - Sparky

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, I'm glad it's not only me. I have done transcription for 25 years and it drives me nuts when I think I have done 100% and then they say I have failed the test and need more training. I was beginning to think it was rigged some way, because it was just too weird.

Career Step MT Test - it is a joke

[ In Reply To ..]
Took it once and they said I didn't pass the grammer test. Took it a 2nd time and I passed the grammer test. Did the 2nd transcription test and just for kicks, verified every answer and I got the "You did not pass and you need to consider Career Step for additional traning". Have been a CMT for 22 years, taught an MT program accredited by my state and have 30 years experience.

IMHO it is a total scam!

A joke - sm - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Grammer?

Testing Career Step - Been around awhile

[ In Reply To ..]
I think their ads are misplaced. I have been in the business many, many years and took their test for fun. Golly,....flunked,....need to take their course. Duh..... I hope somebody will investigate them.

Similar Messages:

Do I Need BOS 3 To Take MTTest?
Dec 03, 2010

Does MTTest use the current BOS 3 rules?  I never updated because my last job didn't follow BOS that closely.  Would I benefit buying the BOS 3 and going through it before I tested at MTTest?  Thanks! ...

Using Mttest For Companies
Mar 25, 2010

How exactly do you score well on these automatically graded tests from mttest?  I am a CMT with many years experience and while I do pass, sometimes I get a score in the 80s and then other times its the high 90s.  I have been told that some let it automatically score and others manually score them.  What is the secret?  Is it just a formatting thing that throws the scores off so much? ...

Boycott MTTest!
Jul 15, 2010

I believe that if we all boycott MTTest, that these companies will have to find other ways to test applicants.  From this point on, I will no longer take any tests through the MTTest website.  Also, any company who throws more than 3 or 4 dictations at you for testing purposes isn't worth working for.  So, MTSOs, get ready for the onslaught because I doubt that I'm the only one willing to do this.  No company is worth the grief of having to spend hours taking tests, ...

MTTest - Wondering
Jul 17, 2010

Regaring MTTest and their pass/fail inconsistencies - I'm wondering if they don't set these things to fail anything after a certain number of test takers.  I'm just saying, if I were an MTSO hring a weed-wacker like MTTest, and with the high number of applicants these years, I'd be saying something on the order of "just send me the top 20."  and so MTTest takes the top 20 from say...50, or even the top from after 2 days of open testing, and then 'defaults ...

What Is The MTTest Website?
Oct 19, 2010

I'm a recent MT grad. and was wondering how this website works? Are there any websites that offer practice tests that are similar to the type online companies use? I haven't taken any online tests yet and wonder do most companies let you use a foot pedal? Or do they use the F1, F2 etc. commands? thanks for any advice! ...

Mttest Questions...sm
Oct 20, 2011

When using mttest, do you expand the abbreviations the first time encountered in the report?  I know mttest can be tricky and I'm worried I'm doing it wrong.   Thanks! ...

Tips For Using The Mttest.com Site
May 12, 2010

The site is very literal.  Here are some tips. Objective: 1.  Thoroughly read the instructions.  Don't try to think about the instructions - simply read them and follow them.  For example if it tells you to type the correct spelling of a word into a field (picking a misspelled word out of a phrase), only type that word - not anything else.  2.  Look up every single word and definition before you make a choice.  I don't care how much you T ...

Mttest.com - What A Waste Of My Time
Sep 17, 2010

I just had to say that when I see a company looking for MTs and they have to test through mttest, I cross them off my list of potential employment.  What a waste of my time.  Took it years ago and would never do it again.  There has to be some other way or just look at a person's resume and phone previous employers.  If I have over 25 years of experience, took pride in getting my CMT and have tons of experience in every specialty, chances are I am a good bet.  Just venting. ...

Has Anyone Started The MTTest And Had To Finish (sm)
Dec 08, 2010

it the next day?  Will they save your test overnight?  I started late today and ran into a problem (personal) and was wondering if I could finish the test tomorrow.  Appreciate any info. ...

Time To Boycott MTTest.com
Jan 11, 2012

Just took another test at that site and, as we all know, most of the time the tests are ridiculously easy and yet I keep failing...supposedly.  Something fishy in Vancouver:))) ...

Anyone Out There Recently Passed The Mttest.com
Mar 07, 2014

HELP? Has anyone out there recently passed the mttest.com (created by Career Step) that most all companies are utilizing to prescreen their candidates? I am a Career Step graduate (high honors) with many years� experience working for a very large global transcription company; yet I cannot seem to pass the aforementioned test to save my life. I find this strange for the following reasons: 1. I passed the same (or nearly the same) test, on the 1st try, with a 99% combined score t ...

MTTest Testing Sites
Dec 09, 2014

It has been my experience that any time a company requests that you go to their testing site to complete a test, it seems to be a waste of time in screening candidates.  The audio files are extremely hard to hear and half the time the audio skips.  There should be a better way to screen applicants than by using these testing sites.  It is a no-win situation.  You spend two hours doing their screening and trying to transcribe reports that are not the work type that they are ev ...

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Find Myself Shying Away From Companies That Use Mttest
Dec 09, 2010

I find myself shying away from companies that use mttest.  Something about that method of testing and scoring just doesn't sit right with me. ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Career Step - Knows Good Or Bad
Jan 26, 2010

I am just curious if anyone knows good or bad about Career Step Medical Transcription and Medical Billing/Coding online courses.  I would appreciate any opinoins about this particular online school.  Thank you. ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Career Step Has Job Openings
Apr 28, 2010

Fancy that! ...

Enrolling In Career Step
May 11, 2010

I am going to enroll in Career step tomorow.  I looked into Andrews, but if I had the 1000 to put down I would not be looking for a new career.  LOL.  Wish me luck! ...

Disappointed In Career Step
May 29, 2010

I'm very disappointed regarding this medical editing course being offered by Career Step.  In my opinion it's a terrible way to take advantage of newbies who are worried about the job market and willing to pay anything to upgrade their skills, when every employer I've ever heard of trains their MTs on VR.  I can't imagine an employer requesting a course in medical editing in addition to the standard MT course.  I myself am a Career Step grad, have been gai ...

Career Step And Unemployment
Jun 09, 2010

Do you know if it is possible to take career step courses for coding and still collect unemployment. I do not qualify for the displaced worker program and they will not let me keep my benifits if I chose to go to a regular community college. I have no idea how the reporting is done, but I would really like to get into coding (currently an MT). I have enough in savings to pay for the course, and I am pretty sure I could get it over with fairly quicly, but I don't want to push myself to work ...

Career Step Or TRS Institute?
Oct 15, 2010

I am trying to decide which school to go with.  I have read good and bad about both Career Step and TRS - does anyone have any additional considerations for me before I make my decision? Thanks! ...

Career Step Or Andrews??? SM
Nov 05, 2010

I am very interested in a coding career.  I have been doing medical transcription for the past 10 years and am tired of chasing after the money.  I need stability.  Coding has always seemed like a very interesting job.  I want to choose a course that is the most detailed so that I have the best chance of passing the certification test(s) and be able to land a job.  Can anyone advise on a great online medical coding course?  Thanks guys!!!! ...

Andrews VS Career Step
Jan 26, 2011

Hi everyone, I have been looking at both Andrews and Career Steps programs for coding. I am leaning more towards Andrews, but I am worried about the amount of writing assignments you have to do. Are these long assignments? What type of stuff do you have to write about for a coding course (without giving away too much info)? Career Step is completely online, and for some reason that just does not seem like the best way to go. I feel that you really do need hands on kind of work, and I don' ...

Purchasing A Used Career Step Course
Jul 25, 2011

I don't know how it will work as far as "enrollment" actually goes, but I'm really looking to do more of a self-taught kind of thing anyway. I know that access to instructors is important, and I have already arranged for that through my local college. Worst case scenario, I'm out $25.. but for that price, I couldn't pass it up!! Thoughts? ...

Career Step Vs SUM Program?
Aug 25, 2011

I'm currently enrolled @ Career Step and stumbled across this forum tonight.  This is the first time I've heard about this SUM program.  Should I be nervous that Career Step doesn't use this program?  I admit, I did not have the money for Andrews or M-tec and thought the AHDI certification was the important thing.  Now I'm not so sure.  Will I be passed over by recruiting agents without this knowledge? Thanks   ...

Andrew's Vs. Career Step
Oct 10, 2011

What is the difference besides price on these two schools? Do companies hire based mostly on what school you graduate from or by how well you test?  Does one school really prepare you better than the other, or are you paying for the name? ...

Career Step Vs Andrews
Jan 16, 2012

Okay, I know Andrews is the best, but has anyone taken Career Step and had any sucess?  It is an approved school on the AHIMA web site, but I don't ever hear anyone say anything about going through them for coding.  If anyone has, I would like to know if you were able to pass the CCS after completing the course?  My parents want to help me pay for school, and I hate for them to think I went and found the most expensive one out there; although, I know it is the best.  I just wondered abo ...