A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tips for using the mttest.com site - (sm)

Posted: May 12, 2010

The site is very literal.  Here are some tips.

Objective:

1.  Thoroughly read the instructions.  Don't try to think about the instructions - simply read them and follow them.  For example if it tells you to type the correct spelling of a word into a field (picking a misspelled word out of a phrase), only type that word - not anything else.  
2.  Look up every single word and definition before you make a choice.  I don't care how much you THINK you know - you won't know your errors if you don't catch them.  Look it up!  Use at least 2 resources to compare definitions/usage.
3.  Save your work with each set of questions you answer.  
4.  BEFORE you submit the objective, go back through and make sure you answered every single question.  An unanswered question is a wrong answer. 

Transcription:

1.  Make sure you proofread thoroughly.  The spellchecker does not have any medical terms and does a pitiful job with English, too.  Do your own proofreading - read it through twice.

2.  Relisten to each report while you read it.

3.  Just save each report and move to the next.  Go back again and relisten/proof before clicking the "save this report and move to the next one" because you can't go back to it  then.

4.  Just be completely sure you've combined through all the reports before you upload.

Great advice! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I figure if it's an open book, untimed test, there really should be no reason not to double and triple check everything, especially when pay is dependent on those test scores (ironically, I scored 85 on one of my english usage tests and 100% on the med terminology portion and "very well" on the transcription portion according to my recuriter).

Would you mind clarifying #3 under - transcription? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Atleast to me, it was a little confusing. I have never done a test on the site.

Sure. - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
On the mttest.com site, once you get to the transcription portion, you will probably have more than 1 report to transcribe. Usually they have 4 reports.

You can "save" any report at any given time and take a break (log out and come back another time to finish). This simply saves the information you have transcribed. You can go back to the site and pick up where you left off. You can also use this feature to do a "draft" on all reports and just simply "save" so you can go back and re-read or re-listen before submitting.

You also have the option to "save this report and go to the next report". This will permanently save the one you just finished and mark it with a green checkmark and move you to the next report. You cannot go back to the previous report once you choose that option.

My advice is to simply save each report so you can go back and work/proof/re-listen, etc., until you are ready to submit that report. Then choose the "save this report and move to the next one" option. Review that report and repeat until all 4 have a green checkmark next to them.

Then you click the button that submits the whole transcription portion. You cannot go back once you click that button.

I have a question about this - #3

[ In Reply To ..]
If you mark the report save and go to next report it will let you go back in to edit it, but does it not save the changes you make? I think that is what I have been doing wrong. I got feedback from a company saying that I had 11 errors in 4 reports and I knew there was no way that was possible. I had listened to those sound files 3 times each and made corrections. But, I had marked them complete and went to the next and then went back to proof and correct them. So, did it not save the corrections I made when I went back and listened again?
Once the green check mark is in place there are - no changes made to the transcription tests
[ In Reply To ..]
So if you went back and listened once you had already hit the box that said save this and go to the next file, no, none of your changes were made.

Not the OP, but I've been through those tests more than once for different companies.
OMG.....that is what I have been doing wrong - No wonder
[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like an idiot. No wonder I wasn't passing these test. I thought that was the only way to move on to the next test was by marking it save and go to next test....jeesh. I actually had a company nice enough to tell me what my errors were in the report and while she was telling me, I was wondering does she have the correct test, because I know I didn't leave those mistakes in there. Well now maybe I can find a decent job since I know this.

MT Tests - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, what I generally do in the transcription portion of the test is use Microsoft Word and my expander. That way, I can use my Stedmans to check for spelling errors, et cetera and I then copy and paste into the area on the test site, save it and then move on to the next report. Hope this helps

Any Recruiters willing to answer a question, especially from companies using MTTEST - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

Great instructions.  I know many people will find your tips really helpful. 

I have now taken 8 tests on MTTEST and am becoming, I feel, somewhat of an expert. 

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the Board that other people were also not being contacted after completing all portions of the test.  I would be interested to know if they have any insight as to why they never heard back.  Did it seem to take an extra long time to complete the transcription part?  Did you have to leave a lot of blanks?  Did you follow the BOS guidelines? 

Any Recruiters out there willing to give us any insight into what we may be doing wrong?

Two additional things that people taking the tests might want to keep in mind. 

1.  The Company requesting the test can have it set up any way that they want, but the majority of the tests are pretty much the same.  Some of the tests do give a “suggested” time at the beginning of each section – one of the tests I took today stated the test “should require” “7 to 10 minutes” to complete for the first part (they called it the Screening portion) and the next “should require” “35 to 40 minutes” for the second part (they called it Objective portion).  Although they do not say it is timed, the Recruiter does know how long it takes you to complete each section.  Just to be absolutely sure they do not mark you down for taking too long, try to stay within their suggested time periods.  After all, MTSOs not only want quality, they want it done quickly. 

A TIP:  I set a timer to go off 3 to 5 minutes before their suggested maximum time, just to be on the safe side.  I go through the test the first time and answer by gut and experience.  I then go back and use references to look up any answers that I might not be absolutely sure of (which is sometimes 99% of the questions).  By the time the clock timer goes off, I am on my third look-over, and I know for sure I still have time to send it off before their suggested time expires. 

So far, Amphion is the only one I have found that actually tells you that you are under the gun: 

2.  For the transcription tests, according to the Career Step website:  “The transcribed reports are then compared with the sound file key using our text-comparison program.”  Since Career Step uses the AAMT/AHDI Book of Style, your best bet is to follow the BOS standards when doing the reports. 

I have been able to verify:  “Recruiters will be able to see what you answered for your tests and how long it took you.  The score is automatically generated by an answer key.” 

Some of you are probably wondering why I have taken so many tests.  Basically, it is because I never hear back from the company, even though I have passed all portions of the test.  I am never sure how to get a hold of the Recruiter to find out how I did, if the Recruiter does not contact me by phone or Email first.  I have Emailed using information from their website, but never get a response back. 

I have a suspicion it is because it takes me too long to complete the transcription tests.  I am presently unemployed and had to return the computer to the company when I left.  My personal computer is so old, it still has a floppy-disc slot.  I can never get the foot pedal to work, and I have loaded and reloaded Express Scribe and have gone through all the FAQ troubleshooting suggestions on the MTTEST site.  So, I end up using the F-keys, and even those are a pain.  So by the time I get to the last report, my nerves are fried and I am lucky to get them all complete. 

I am sure that translates badly to the Recruiter.  I just keep taking the tests, hoping one of the Recruiters will not look at the time thing and give me a call.  So, for now, I just keep taking the MTTEST tests.

Thanks. 

I documented my experience already down below - Tired of testing

[ In Reply To ..]
But, I am perplexed that out of seven tests on the MTTest.com, I was called back on two, told I did great and offered jobs. Then, I never heard from two other and two did not even let me do the transcription part, stating that I did not pass the objective part. HUH? It is very frustrating to say the least. P.S. I turned down the two job offers due to the low pay.

Another tip - beenthere

[ In Reply To ..]
I type the reports directly into a Word document, which also has spellcheck and where my dictionary resides. A simple copy and paste back into the online testing site page after fixing errors is all it takes!

me 2 . . . . - another voice

[ In Reply To ..]
when i have tested i have also typed the test in word and used my spell checker and copy and pasted onto the testing site

Similar Messages:

Transcend's Facebook Site For Editing Tips
Sep 14, 2011

well, someone finally had a good idea to try to help us, but.... typical of such boards, there is one busybody know-it-all that is dominating everything and she is the only one with an idea, the only one who is right, the only one who can do anything.  Must be nice to have such a superego.  Sue needs to watch out, this woman will be sitting at her desk soon. ...

Mttest Vs Career Step Mttest
Sep 30, 2010

On the mttest site I have noticed that some are by Career Step and others are not.  I always pass the ones that are not, but when Career Step is involved, I seem to be told every time I need more schooling and this is after being an MT for 18 years and also having run my own business.  Does anyone know of any companies that do not use Career Step for testing?  Where I work now didnt and I had no problems.  Other places I worked, I was not tested with Career Step involved and ...

Do I Need BOS 3 To Take MTTest?
Dec 03, 2010

Does MTTest use the current BOS 3 rules?  I never updated because my last job didn't follow BOS that closely.  Would I benefit buying the BOS 3 and going through it before I tested at MTTest?  Thanks! ...

Using Mttest For Companies
Mar 25, 2010

How exactly do you score well on these automatically graded tests from mttest?  I am a CMT with many years experience and while I do pass, sometimes I get a score in the 80s and then other times its the high 90s.  I have been told that some let it automatically score and others manually score them.  What is the secret?  Is it just a formatting thing that throws the scores off so much? ...

Boycott MTTest!
Jul 15, 2010

I believe that if we all boycott MTTest, that these companies will have to find other ways to test applicants.  From this point on, I will no longer take any tests through the MTTest website.  Also, any company who throws more than 3 or 4 dictations at you for testing purposes isn't worth working for.  So, MTSOs, get ready for the onslaught because I doubt that I'm the only one willing to do this.  No company is worth the grief of having to spend hours taking tests, ...

MTTest - Wondering
Jul 17, 2010

Regaring MTTest and their pass/fail inconsistencies - I'm wondering if they don't set these things to fail anything after a certain number of test takers.  I'm just saying, if I were an MTSO hring a weed-wacker like MTTest, and with the high number of applicants these years, I'd be saying something on the order of "just send me the top 20."  and so MTTest takes the top 20 from say...50, or even the top from after 2 days of open testing, and then 'defaults ...

What Is The MTTest Website?
Oct 19, 2010

I'm a recent MT grad. and was wondering how this website works? Are there any websites that offer practice tests that are similar to the type online companies use? I haven't taken any online tests yet and wonder do most companies let you use a foot pedal? Or do they use the F1, F2 etc. commands? thanks for any advice! ...

Mttest Questions...sm
Oct 20, 2011

When using mttest, do you expand the abbreviations the first time encountered in the report?  I know mttest can be tricky and I'm worried I'm doing it wrong.   Thanks! ...

Mttest.com - What A Waste Of My Time
Sep 17, 2010

I just had to say that when I see a company looking for MTs and they have to test through mttest, I cross them off my list of potential employment.  What a waste of my time.  Took it years ago and would never do it again.  There has to be some other way or just look at a person's resume and phone previous employers.  If I have over 25 years of experience, took pride in getting my CMT and have tons of experience in every specialty, chances are I am a good bet.  Just venting. ...

Has Anyone Started The MTTest And Had To Finish (sm)
Dec 08, 2010

it the next day?  Will they save your test overnight?  I started late today and ran into a problem (personal) and was wondering if I could finish the test tomorrow.  Appreciate any info. ...

Time To Boycott MTTest.com
Jan 11, 2012

Just took another test at that site and, as we all know, most of the time the tests are ridiculously easy and yet I keep failing...supposedly.  Something fishy in Vancouver:))) ...

Anyone Out There Recently Passed The Mttest.com
Mar 07, 2014

HELP? Has anyone out there recently passed the mttest.com (created by Career Step) that most all companies are utilizing to prescreen their candidates? I am a Career Step graduate (high honors) with many years� experience working for a very large global transcription company; yet I cannot seem to pass the aforementioned test to save my life. I find this strange for the following reasons: 1. I passed the same (or nearly the same) test, on the 1st try, with a 99% combined score t ...

MTTest Testing Sites
Dec 09, 2014

It has been my experience that any time a company requests that you go to their testing site to complete a test, it seems to be a waste of time in screening candidates.  The audio files are extremely hard to hear and half the time the audio skips.  There should be a better way to screen applicants than by using these testing sites.  It is a no-win situation.  You spend two hours doing their screening and trying to transcribe reports that are not the work type that they are ev ...

Find Myself Shying Away From Companies That Use Mttest
Dec 09, 2010

I find myself shying away from companies that use mttest.  Something about that method of testing and scoring just doesn't sit right with me. ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

SR Tips & Tricks
Sep 09, 2011

I am fairly new to SR and have been doing it for about a month.  Does anyone out there have any tips to share on how to become quicker?  I have memorized keyboard commands and am trying to speed up dictation.  Is that all there is to be successful at this? ...

Extext Tips?
Jan 20, 2012

Any tips on editing in Extext? ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...

Proofing Tips
Jun 01, 2012

Would anyone be willing to share their proofreading tips. I find that VR requires a much higher level of concentration and focus to catch errors. The text on the screen can become a blur. After a couple of hours it is so easy to "hear" what the voice engine blew out and not catch a small but significant error. I am finding that something that needs to be deleted from the text is actually harder to catch than something that needs to be changed or added. Any tips would be helpful. I do see m ...

Editing Tips
Sep 13, 2012

Hi!  How do you all do it?  I have a job that is 70% editing and about 30% typing.  I can't seem to get any faster with my editing.  I have tried to teach myself to only edit when absolutely necessary (not that I agree with that) and I have turned the speed up.  I am not sure where I am going wrong?  I try to keep with account specifics as well.  BUT I do admit that I still throw in a comma where I think things could be confusing or put in a period with a ...

Marketing Tips?
Jun 25, 2013

I will appreciate any marketing tips anyone can share. I'm a small MTSO and recently lost a client not due to EMR but the client went bankrupt and still owes me some invoices. I've tried cold calling which worked a few years back but nowadays it doesn't seem to work anymore. Thanks in advance. :) ...

Need Advice/tips
Aug 29, 2013

I think I read every single line along with the speech, and I think I double check every single ADT, too.  Then I get back my report back from QA and it's obvious that my mind wandered because there will be a line that is completely off and/or a wrong ADT.  Do you all do this and if not is there any tips you can give me to help me keep focused? ...

POSITIVE Tips For A New MT Please
Sep 21, 2014

Hello, I will be starting a full-time transcription job October 7th.  I have about 3 years experience in medical transcription, but have never worked for straight production pay, never worked from home, and have never transcribed 8 hours a day, every day.  I have been reading these forums and have read all of the negative thoughts about getting into medical transcription.  That's not what I'm looking for.  I would like tips for starting with a new company, new dic ...