A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The overhiring syndrome - ACalfornian

Posted: Dec 09, 2009

I’m not an attorney; therefore, cannot give you any legal advice.  Please consult an attorney should you need help with the issue raised below.

I’ve been in this industry too long.  Have watched this transcription industry go from “a soccer mom’s best friend” where a soccer mom could take care of her children at home and at the same time make some extra money to support her family…to “transcription goes to New York Stock Exchange” with Fortune 500 companies investing heavily in transcription companies, when greed set in with those “suits” taking over the transcription industry, helping themselves with chunks of investors’ money in the form of personal bonuses, and throwing in the MTs to take the fall in the form of huge pay cuts and voice recognition platforms!

In the midst of all that came the overhiring!  The employers have been hiring “full-time employees” offering them benefits, but have not been providing enough work to them.  As a result, though hired as full-time employees, these MTs are unable to make a living due to lack of work.  It’s about time to send a message to the “suits in the industry” about the Fair Labor Standards Act.

In a case decided by the highest court of the land, i.e., the United States Supreme Court, the Court interpreting the Fair Labor Standards Act said that an employee is entitled to pay for “waiting for work” and for “standing by on call” too even if there is no work.  Here are excerpts from that case:

Tennessee Coal Co. v. Muscoda Local No. 123, 321 U.S. 590, 599 (1944)

Section 3(j) of the Act expressly provides that it is sufficient if an employee is engaged in a process or occupation necessary to production. Hence, employees engaged in such necessary, but not directly productive activities as watching and guarding a building, [Footnote 13] waiting for work, [Footnote 14] and standing by on call [Footnote 15] have been held to be engaged in work necessary to production and entitled to the benefits of the Act.

[Footnote 14]

Fleming v. North Georgia Mfg. Co., 33 F.Supp. 1005; Travis v. Ray, 41 F.Supp. 6.

[Footnote 15]

Walling v. Allied Messenger Service, Inc., 47 F.Supp. 773.

And the Department of Labor has the following definition for the term “work time” with links and excerpts (with emphasis added):

http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/index.htm

Hours Worked (PDF): Hours worked ordinarily include all the time during which an employee is required to be on the employer’s premises, on duty, or at a prescribed workplace.  (emphasis added) 

<http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf>

Application of Principles

Employees "Suffered or Permitted" to work: Work not requested but suffered or permitted to be performed is work time that must be paid for by the employer. For example, an employee may voluntarily continue to work at the end of the shift to finish an assigned task or to correct errors. The reason is immaterial. The hours are work time and are compensable. (emphasis added)

Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depends upon the particular circumstances. Generally, the facts may show that the employee was engaged to wait (which is work time) or the facts may show that the employee was waiting to be engaged (which is not work time). For example, a secretary who reads a book while waiting for dictation or a fireman who plays checkers while waiting for an alarm is working during such periods of inactivity. These employees have been "engaged to wait." (emphasis added)

Based on the above, it is my understanding that if the transcription companies do not have enough work for the MTs because of the overhiring or because the client is not sending enough work because the physicians are on vacation, the MTs are still entitled to their full-time pay if their status is full-time.  It’s not the MTs’ fault if there is no work.  The transcription business is a risky business which the companies knew before hand when they set up a transcription company.  They need to learn how to deal with their losses, and not rub those losses on to the MTs.

I know quite a few of you are very resourceful.  Have an attorney look at these links and send out a message to the “suits in the transcription industry” about overhiring.

P.S.:  I will not respond to any responsive messages under this thread; I simply do not have the time.  Just wrote the above to help you all.  Good luck!

Funny, I guess I did ok as never thought of this as a - Gets on my last nerve

[ In Reply To ..]
"soccer's mom's best friend" job. That is just so irritating to me, to hear a statement like that. I never got into this field because "I wanted to stay home and raise children." I got into it because I loved the medical field and was advised to try this because of my excessive speed in typing. The above statement is probably why the MTSOs take such a lowly view of the transcriptionists.

To the *excessive speed in typing* typist - who is probably an undercover suit

[ In Reply To ..]
You should have gone into a data entry job instead of transcription because the voice recognition does not need your *excessive speed in typing* anymore.

I do not see anything wrong in a woman being a soccer mom, yet wanting to make some extra money too to help her family financially.

That is such a monotonous statement, sounding like suit - Cannot think of other things to say

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you donĂ¢€™t read the other posts on here but can you not be more unique? Suit is such an overused term and most probably are MTs just like me. My excessive speed got me through my actual working life and served me extremely well, ahh I think VR did not really come into play until the last few years. Oh, by the way, I have mastered that and although do not need the extreme speed as in typing anymore, needs the speed to be able to exit fact and got that under control, also. There is nothing wrong in a mother being anything but to say "looky, you can be a soccer mom and still be a transcriptionist at the same time," puts the MTs exactly where they are now, without a good job, without the decent salary they should make, waiting on work. How many women going out to work do you ever hear that said about? None.

Not the point - outofworkMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are missing the whole point of what acalifornian was making. Her point was not about being a soccer mom or whatever, she was trying to help MTs who have to sit through their shifts with no work, not making money. It was very nice of her to take the time to post all that info. Thanks acalifornian!

Some view MT as our career - All that And More

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with excessive speed typist comment in that many of us here do not see this as as part time job to make some extra bucks - though, yes, some of us do, and some are probably soccers moms. I don't have children and purposefully got into this industry in the mid 80s because I found it as a certificate program at a community college and was too antsy as a 19 year old to stick with the 4 year nursing program I was 1 year into.

I take great pride in my work, and I think that's where the comment that may imply more of us are just kinda sorta doing this but all have husbands who really bring home the bacon, and it gives or gave us time to raise the little ones - is hardly an accurate description of many of us.

I think we are a varied bunch, is my guess. I do think we have had somehow tacitly allowed a lowly view of us and our extensive skills, but honestly, I don't know what could have been done or should be. AAMT and CMT sure didn't do a thing!

I don't think term soccor mom was meant as a slam. - darlene

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not take that term as a slam, no, not at all. Working at home has enable many moms to not have to paid unaffordable child care, make a living and be at home too. I think the original poster was just using a phrase and trying to be helpful to other MTs with information. Unruffle, not meant to be mean saying soccor moms. That is a good term; means a multitasker, moms do 90+ of everything that needs to be done in the world and of course not fair (at all to be a multi-care taker FOR LIFE, no vacations from this chore.)

Johnny Moms - MistyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been in the field a long time too. I did take the job because I could work at home and not need to hire childcare, but I've always treated it as a "real" job. I've been in the position of hiring many times in the last 30 years and frankly, it's the very "Johnny Moms" (or soccer moms or whatever moms) that you harken back to that began the demise.

MTSOs realized they could hire Johnny moms cheaper than those of us who viewed it as a career. I'd love to have a dollar for every applicant I talked to who said they only wanted to work 2-3 hours a day for full time pay, I could retire quite nicely.

People willing to work for cheaper and cheaper rates, undercutting their own local MTs had just as much to do with this nothing-trickling-down effect as the big time MTSOs.

Ya can't cry foul once the ball's out of the park.

I am so very glad to hear you say this - Not your stay at home mom

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so agreeing with what you said, when this became a job where it was trending towards having a job and having a kid sitting on your knee, then all over except the shouting. How many times have I read want to do this so I can stay at home to raise Johnny, like you said. The only reason for this has turned into a glorified babysitting job and now the pay just about mimics that.

To MistyMT - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't agree more. The mommies in jammies syndrome is the number one factor in ruining this profession. MT is not a giant daycare center.

Well this ball is way out of the park - gourdpainter

[ In Reply To ..]
at least from my experience. I can't believe you, MistyMT, are blaming MTs for the deplorable work conditions of today. If you've been doing this for 30 years, I have a few years on you and have also been in the position to hire. NEVER have I interviewed anyone who wanted to work 2-3 hours/day for full-time pay! So if you went by my experience you'd be retiring under a bridge somewhere rather than "quite nicely" as you said. If you've been in the business for 30 years then you must remember when employers valued their MTs and they usually showed it in the paycheck and incentives were REAL incentives not chicken feed. I never was a "soccer mom" but with 4 kids and a CAREER I shuffled between hauling kids to football practice and games, softball, cheerleading, music lessons, doctors appointments, all things related to kids. Also, never neglected my "career." Of course that was back in the days when the TAT wasn't 30 seconds from the minute a report was dictated and one was only required to produce a certain number of pages/words/lines in a 24 hour period, however a company paid. With 30 years experience I am ashamed for you that you would post such nonsense. Most MTs were/are in the business to make a living not to make a little change to buy chewing gum!

Absolutely right, gourdpainter! - Alicia

[ In Reply To ..]
Unbelievable--MTs blaming fellow MTs instead placing blame where it belongs.

I have as many, if not more years in this than you - Not your stay at home

[ In Reply To ..]
And I totally agree with what Johnny's mommie had to say. If you read these posts, it happens all the time. Women are forever saying they cannot go out of the home to work because of "Johnny" or "Mary" and do you not think that the MTSOs know exactly this? What I read, women have been brainwashed into believing this job is a miracle in that they can run after the kids and get all those lines at the same time. I HAVE even had people approach me, knowing that I work from home, and ask me about how they can get into this because they also "have to work" from home because of children. I worked out of home for years and I remember base pay and incentives and our job was respected and well thought of, no more. Johnny's mom was dead on, even if you want to disagree. I have not retired yet, do not plan on it and am seeing the trends in transcription from the 70s on through now.
I started this career in the 60s - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously you got in in the hayday. In the 60s there were no MT schools, MTs were trained in the hospital and it was a MINIMUM WAGE JOB and was never a high paid job in a hospital. MTSOs came into vogue in the 70s. That's when a fast typist could make many dollars and that's when I jumped on that bandwagon. MTSOs have outlived their usefulness in my opinion.

Yes, I have seen posts on this very board with people who say they have to "work at home because of the kids." This, again in my opinion represents a very small percentage of MTs. My husband is currently an inpatient in a hospital. Yesterday when I visited him an auxillary lady was in the room chatting with him. He is proud of what I did for a living and still tells everyone. I joined in the conversation. She said her daughter was a single parent with cerebral palsy twins. She spent money to take an MT course...from one of the better known schools...wasn't able to find a job. She believed the ads about how much money she could make to support her kids and THAT is what attracted her although I doubt anyone would deny she has a full plate and could benefit from working from home. She was only asking for a job that would pay her the $35,000+ the schools are so proud of advertising whether in-house or at home. Locally hospitals contract directly with their MTs who work from home under the conditions we enjoyed back in the 70s. Guess what? Their MTs are happy, they make a good salary plus incentive with benefits. They don't overhire and they rarely have a position open for an MT. Win/win situation.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Sure there are a few bad apples in every barrel but I know it to be a fact that the majority of MTs are no different than any other job or profession as you prefer. They are just hard-working people trying to feed their families. For you to put MTs into some special category where all, or at least the majority, are basically free-loaders is just plain wrong. I wonder if you will feel the same when the chickens come home to roost on your porch?
Ahh, do not remember saying anything about free loaders??? - Not your stay at home
[ In Reply To ..]
and have no idea what you mean by that and also chickens coming home to roost? Just not catching your drift. I was one of those home based hospital workers, for awhile and a short while until outsourced to MTSO in the early 2000s. I never knew about MTSOs but loved working inhouse because of the money. I don't know about your hospital experience but in the 80s I earned in the 60,000 range - working in a hospital- where you said minimum range job. I don't consider that minimum wage and then when outsourced in the 2000s - working in hospital - making in the 40,000 range, no overtime so that still is not your average minimum wage job. Just saw a post this morning where person finished school, only to do this for a little extra money- hubby just got out of the service, unable to find a job and now she is unable to carry the full load of the family's finances. This job for her supposedly just a little extra until she could start nursing school and now running out of work, which seems to be the norm here. Inhouse we had total of over 40 MTs and never ran out of work, always plenty. There was a glorious day for MTs once, not anymore.
Reading comprehension - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
Let me try to explain: I also topped your salary in my best years. I was talking about TRAINING and MT-ing BEFORE MTs were paid on production. Obviously you don't go back that far. Hospitals never paid the kind of salary you are talking about until they went to production pay. I read the same post you read about the person wanting a "little extra money." Basically what is wrong with that? Isn't that usually why people take part-time jobs? Maybe they don't need full-time income? Notice I did not say you said anything about free loaders. That analogy was mine because what you said left that impression at least to me.

As for the chickens coming home to roost. You can probably google that old saying for a better understanding.
I am old enough to know the saying and know exactly what it means, - do not have to google but
[ In Reply To ..]
just have no idea how that goes along with me, none whatsoever. As far as the part time job/payment, you think a person goes through all this training and money it costs for the most part for just a part time?
Dusty dialogue - MistyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
GP, you "wonder how you will feel" is dragged out for every discussion you enter.

Right now, I work at home because I can. I also raised 3 kids while working at home, but I had to choose make lots of money or be a mom. Well, the kids needed that roof over their head so I worked the job like a "real" job, not an afterthought.

Today, I can go visit the grandkids, run my errands, etc. and still come home to get my work done.

No one holds a gun to anyone's head and says- You must work for slave wages. People ACCEPT the slave wages. Is an MTSO to blame for THAT too??
Empathy is a BAD thing???? n/m - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
Try putting yourself in the shoes of others for a change instead of lauding your own great success. So what if I always say "wonder how you will feel," although I wasn't aware that I "dragged" that into ever discussion I enter. But for the grace of God, you might be the one losing your home or whatever. I doubt that you would say then that it was the MT's fault.
Sorry, I said no message but I did have a message. - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
x
25+ years - fielded all kinds people wanting to be MTs - Most saw it as an easy way to stay home with the k
[ In Reply To ..]
I have 25 years of experience as an MT and CMT and also taught MT at a community college. I fielded numerous calls and then emails over the years from all kinds of women - never men - who wanted to work at home. Most didn't have a clue what MT was (they would ask, do you have to read the doctor's handwriting?)... most just wanted to work at home. I invited many to my house to see what I did, and many walked away without a single question, no longer interested, as it clearly was not easy work. And, in the latter years, many turned away because of the increasingly lower pay. Then there were nurses and other healthcare professionals who were sure that because they knew anatomy and a few drugs, they could immediately hop into MT'ing - because they wanted to be at home with their kids.

Anyway, my experience was that the majority of women in my classes, as well as all the calls I received, was not that many of them viewed MT as a career but simply as a means to be home with children (or, a few, just to be home) and happen to make some money. Out of all the people I talked with over the years, I would say 3, maybe 4, had the aptitude, actually got what MT was and found it appealed, and are still MTs today.

This is just my experience.

I don't think we are blaming MTs here at all - there is blaming, and there is taking responsibility. I don't blame my fellow MTs for the state of things, but I DO think all of us in one way or another are complicit in some aspect, though likely minimal compared to what the MTSOs and AAMT have done, and that would likely be standing up for ourselves. No way meant to beat any of us up, but just to make us realize maybe we shouldn't have just been sitting back at our desks and definitely can't do that any more?
If anyone should know about this, that would be you - Not a stay at home
[ In Reply To ..]
You have been there and really been there, not just as a transcriptionist but also teaching this in a college. Thank you for saying exactly what others see, that is if you do not have blinders on. People who have asked me had no idea it was not just a bon-bon job where you could work a little here and a little there. Most that ask me just wanted to know ONLY because you work from home, had no clue about ESLs, good English, good terminology, QA scores you have to meet, lines you have to put in, and the list goes on. Thanks for your speaking out.

Who's to blame - MistyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
GP, I don't "blame" MTs for the deplorable work conditions, that's just silly. BUT, I *DO* blame MTs for dumbing down the profession and treating it like a job at a mini mart. That umbrella doesn't cover EVERY MT, but there were many, ARE many, who only want to work a few hours a day, which is fine. Or those who want to do crap work and be paid the same I'm being paid to do perfect work. The "suits" as they like to refer to them here, and the clients, finally said well if we have to pay for crap along with the perfect work, let's adjust the wages. Yes, much of it was about greed and lining their own pockets, believe me, I had some wonderfully lucrative years 10 years ago (but I took care of my MTs).

If I'm selling jam for 50c a jar and you're selling jam that looks and smells like mine for 5c a jar. When the customer gets yours home and realizes it taste like crap, it's all to easy to rationalize, "It just cause me this much"

So yes, I do hold MTs accountable for their part in the beginning of this slide. Now we're ALL paying that price.
Perfect work - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
My hat is off to you IF you always produce "perfect" work. I produced excellent quality but I never ever claimed to be perfect. My initials are not J.C.

Maybe it's possible to watch the kids/aging parents or whatever, - and still be a professional. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I supervised, I used to be pretty very discouraged about the so-called "Johnny Mom" situation, too, and I do feel that to a great extent MTs have had to sell their souls to be able to work at home. Now that I have an aging parent who needs someone at home to help out, I appreciate how important it is to be able to do that and still earn a living. I have arranged a schedule that is comfortable for me, my parent, the MTSO and the client (and, yes, it involves evenings and a weekend day), and I try to keep the flexibility to a minimum. I also keep up with my MT skills and maintain good production and QA. It's not always an easy life but it works, and I'm proud of my ability to be a good daughter AND a good MT at the same time.

I agree, many of us can and are both a professional and a parent. - No answer here

[ In Reply To ..]
Long note here: I'm the poster below with 25 years and who taught MT classes. Just this year, the non-MT administrator of the MT classes where I used to teach approached me about possibly being a "guest speaker." I was amazed that the course is still even running. I discussed with her how things really are - that I've been making the same wage and had my last raise about 10 years ago, no cost of living, and about all the cuts in pay during mergers, VR, or whatever the MTSO has dreamed up lately, attributing it to the ballooning health care costs/the economy/the cut-throat business created by the MTSOs... I actually felt kinda embarrassed to describe this - and I realized it was because it seemed to reflect back to me, my OWN CHOICE in the matter. Kinda like someone sees you and thinks, Oh, well, to put up with THAT CRAP, you must really have a good reason.

We all have our reasons, and we all may have had our head in the sand to some degree, wish we hadn't, and are perplexed at how to change anything. It gets discussed here pretty often: Up and quitting, organizing a mass exodus from various MTSOs due to their latest pay cuts or merger or latest demeaning marginalizing decrees, getting a union started, starting new groups to take action, contacting Congress or newspapers, changing careers mid life stream... So far none have been The Answer? Maybe because we don't band together enough in numbers to matter, maybe because the economy is terrible and keeping our jobs is essential no matter what.

Anyway. I don't mean to sound hopeless OR helpless, but I really don't know what we can do. Nowadays, when I do share about our plight, most people say, well, that's happening everywhere. And, it is. People are being laid off, pay is being cut, benefits are being decreased, and people are without jobs. And so, we are lucky to be making the same salary we did 10 years ago, AND sitting on the edge of our seats wondering what the next way the MTSOs will cut our pay further. And, then I come back to, well, yep, we are lucky to have our jobs. But what IS different is that for some reason, though crappy things and pay cuts are happening in numerous industries right now and for the last few yrs, this has been happening to US for a decade at least.

Even in the heyday of my career (mid 80s to mid 90s)when I made the most, was valued without even expecting it, we were still often delegated to a barely renovated broom closet in the basement of the hospital. My first MTSO job (a woman and her husband and daughter ran it), we literally were in a storage closet (a big one, but still, a storage closet).

So, what is it that inherently has put MTs at the bottom of the heap? In spite of our skills, in spite of our continuing education and our serious professionalism/CMT, pride, teaching, being mentors, being editors and QA, taking on VR and excelling with it... ??? Is it really the crappy cheap jam versus the real thing jam? Maybe it is.

I wish I knew. I love being an MT.

Thanks for listening.
mommie or not - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I started my MT career in the 80s as a way to start my own business. Since then, I've gotten married and started a family. I often thank my lucky stars that I am in a career that I can do at home without getting daycare for my kids. Daycare services are very pricey and a lot of people work simply to pay a chunk of their check out to this service.

I don't think you can put the demise of the MT field at the feet of those with children. You must put the blame where it actually goes, which is in the hands of the MTSOs. They decide the cpl and benefits they want to give an MT. They decide how much experience or training they want in an MT. They put out this information and then hire from those applications/resumes recieved.

If you don't like the information supplied in a job ad, then don't submit a resume. If you think you are too experienced for the CPL offered, then don't apply.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. When you need a job, you apply for whatever comes open regardless of the wages, benefits, etc., offered. This, my fellow MT'rs, is the reason why our field is going down the tubes. If nobody with experience or training applied, these MTSOs would be begging for it and paying more.

I'm sure the on-the-job training these non-experienced MTs get does pay off eventually for the MTSOs. However, it's us experienced MTs that make it possible for them to hire them in the first place. We carry the newbies and keep things in TAT and QA'd. Without us, the MTSOs would loose accounts right and left.

It doesn't matter if you have kids at home or not. It doesn't matter if you stay in your PJs all day or not. It doesn't matter what your reasons for becoming an MT are.
Bottom of the heap - MistyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
"So, what is it that inherently has put MTs at the bottom of the heap?

Transcription is a cost for hospitals. It's never been a profit center for hospitals. Outsourcing to MTSOs works because they dont have to even give up storage closets for MT space. They don't have to carry FTE costs. And they shop around to make that cost the lowest it can be.
I hear you but what about other - Outsourceable positions?
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I'm trying to figure out why MTs. I totally get what you are saying and don't disagree...

In the hospitals, there are loads of employees who could be outsourced - always have been. Guess we were the first? Now it is happening to other health care professinals - coders are facing what we have already been facing... nowadays, radiology reports and other labs can be read in the middle of the night by some radiologist or qualified professional in another country. Wonder if the radiologist's day jobs might be threatened some day - me thinks an MD will never face what we have!

But I think - correct me if I'm wrong - this is all relatively new for coders and other outsourcing? It is NOT new for us as MTs. It's been this way for a long time, as I said, at least a decade. Are other industries just catching up to ours and starting to really crap (sorry) on the workers, those who are the backbone. Don't get me wrong, I know we are not the first to be marginalized, or the first to have lay offs and pay cuts are not brand new...

It just seems to me that out of all the employees in the hospital for some reason, MTs were indeed considered to be at the bottom of the heap, even when (back then) they didn't think of out sourcing us, even when they still paid us relatively well and gave us benefits willingly and seniority actually mattered.

Is it really the economy driving this? It is really and truly just the almighty dollar and greed and we just happen to be an industry, a group, that is easily pushed to where we are now?

I'm just wondering out loud here.
Met a nurse the other day while getting nails done - and she and other nurses outsourced
[ In Reply To ..]
You know when you have information on your insurance card, if you need this a nurse is on standby 24/7 to answer your questions.She told me she and others outsourced from a hospital. By the way, the information given out basically same thing. They read from a printed form and the bottom line is you need to contact physician if serious enough. Talk about a waste of their time.
Wow, that's interesting. It's everywhere... - Nurses with pay cuts?
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if the nurses - the ones who choose an outsourcing job, and the ones who do not, who stay in house, are all having decreased pay because of the outsourcing (and the service that outsources them not having to pay benefits?)... nursing has tended to, from what I've read and heard, get paid well and get cost of living?
good question - MistyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
MT is a primary COST, not a profit center. There's nothing about MT that brings in money for the hospital (this is how the board of a major hospital explained things to me when I was marketing to them.) There are other departments you might see as not generating a profit but most have something to do with the hospital profits in some way. Coders for instance. My argument was always that the coder can't do what they do without me doing what I do. But the wisdom was that coders are directly responsible for the billing for services.

And yes, I think you're right that the economy is now driving things. We were sort of like the template. A lot of them have learned the do's and don'ts of outsourcing with the MT labor.

And I do think SOME doctors may see themselves outsourced too, especially in radiology.

"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle Is The Hand That Rules The World" - A William Ross Wallace fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe some of the UNFEMININE responses above. Some *WeMEN* actually resent being referred to as *soccer moms!*

Behind every successful man, there is a *soccer mom* woman. In the leader of the free World's case, there were three; his grandmother, his mother, and his wife; all *soccer moms* first, and *career women* next.

As William Ross Wallace put it so beautifully in the poem below, "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle Is The Hand That Rules The World."

*Blessings on the hand of women!
Angels guard its strength and grace,
In the palace, cottage, hovel,
Oh, no matter where the place;
Would that never storms assailed it,
Rainbows ever gently curled;
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is the hand that rules the world.

Infancy's the tender fountain,
Power may with beauty flow,
Mother's first to guide the streamlets,
From them souls unresting grow-
Grow on for the good or evil,
Sunshine streamed or evil hurled;

Woman, how divine your mission
Here upon our natal sod!
Keep, oh, keep the young heart open
Always to the breath of God!
All true trophies of the ages
Are from mother-love impearled;

Blessings on the hand of women!
Fathers, sons, and daughters cry,
And the sacred song is mingled
With the worship in the sky-
Mingles where no tempest darkens,
Rainbows evermore are hurled;
Is the hand that rules the world.*

Hats off to all the *soccer moms* of the World! You rock!!!

Soccer never played by my children at all and it could be - baseball mommiesm same as

[ In Reply To ..]
The majority of women here probably mothers with few exceptions but that means nothing when it comes to just wanting to stay at home because of running after kiddies. DonĂ¢€™t need poems to explain the sad state of affairs of MTing these days. Do you really think a poem written in the 1800s represents the work force of today? I remember in the 1950s when women were able to stay home and maybe rock the cradle. Those days are mostly gone now. Women wanted their rights and so it is.

Definition of a soccer mom - by Cambridge Dictionary

[ In Reply To ..]
soccer mom noun
n [C] informal
a mother who spends a lot of time taking her children to activities such as music lessons, sports, etc. It is often used for referring to a type of middle-class mother.

It refers to a "type of middle-class mother."
soccer moms - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
It can also (but NOT always) refer to women who do not know how to set and maintain boundaries between their work and personal lives.

soccer mom's best friend???? - MT way too long

[ In Reply To ..]
Having done this for nearly 34 years, I have never thought of this as a "soccer mom's best friend" to make some extra money while she stays home with her kids. That attitude is one of the reasons for the downfall of this profession.

Some may not agree with me and that is fine, but at one time, MTs were respected for what they do and paid accordingly. This business of making MT a "work at home" job instead of one that you could do at home if you choose, is a big reason for the downfall of the industry. All the schools that make the promises of big money with little schooling and no experience etc etc having participated in causing this profession to lack respect. Years ago when this started, I said the same thing and now folks are beginning to see this is true. While there are some MTs coming out of school who do well, I believe those are the ones who would have done well anyway because they have a natural apptitude for medicine. The rest who are making no money is because they lack practical experience and you can only get that by working in an office or MR department for an hourly wage while not under the "production stress" that working for cpl brings.

If you think the idea of this profession as being labeled a "soccer mom's best friend" was a good thing, then think again. Big disaster!

When MT was respected before the "at home, watch your kids while you work" nonsense, the so-called "Fortune 500 companies" also rewarded their employees accordingly.

Nope, in my opinion, this whole soccer mom stuff etc, is part of the problem, a huge part!

(Good grief!) Thanks for very valuable info on Fair Labor Standards Act interpretation. NM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Congenital Cholestatic Syndrome S/l "coregulorelajor Syndrome
Jul 24, 2010

This patient has congenital cholestatic syndrome, and in the assessment the doc says: "Congenital cholestatic jaundice likely secondary to s/l "coregulorelajor syndrome." Yeah, it's that bad. I have no idea what the syndrome is. Anyone with some GI knowledge who's heard what this might be? I know it's a long shot, but thanks in advance. ...

Nothing Like Overhiring And Then NJA
Jul 30, 2013

They overhire and then we have NJA.  Then we have to move our hours to accomodate.  Here is a hint...DON'T OVERHIRE! ...

S/l Letsocoso Syndrome Or Lutz Kusso Syndrome?
Feb 26, 2011

It's a baby with developmental delay s/l letzcoso or Lets Kusso or Lutz Kusso syndrome?   TIA ...

Transcend Overhiring
Jan 16, 2012

Any Transcenders other than me noticed that the "teammates" page of your primary account is getting very crowded lately?  ...

Overhiring Offshoring/outsourcing
Oct 07, 2012

The url link is a thought about where we are. It doesn't matter if we stop work, type one report a day, call in sick, because they have already overhired and they keep sending more and more work to India.  They won't even notice that we have not logged on to work.  Do it anyways, for yourself. It will be a statement about ourselves, for ourselves.  We matter.  I care that I have lost my income from a job I once really enjoyed.  I care that you cannot pay your ...

Greedy Companies, Overhiring, Etc.
Dec 11, 2013

I am so tired of all of these companies overhiring.  I would log in on a daily basis, there would be 50+ jobs in the pool and I would feel somewhat comfortable that I am going to be able to get at least 10 or 15 of the jobs to type, only to find out that out of the 50 jobs in the pool, I am lucky to get 5 jobs.  These companies expect us to dependable, loyal to just working for them, etc., etc., and this is what we get in return.  We are told we are to do 1000 lines a day at a min ...

S/l Derry White Syndrome, And Not Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome
Jun 14, 2010

Can't find this, gets infections and cellulitis because of this syndrome, TIA ...

Wondering If "winter Slow Down" Really Means "our Typical Overhiring And Overstaffing
Jan 30, 2013

xx ...

Gui-ann-by Syndrome
Mar 02, 2011

sounds like "geeanbye" syndrome ...

Down Or Down's Syndrome
Sep 02, 2011

Which is correct? Total brain freeze here. Needing the long weekend badly! :o) ...

? Syndrome
Jan 16, 2013

The patient had s? ____ collagen syndrome and had multiple distractions and multiple procedures for distraction, ____genesis for management DIAGNOSIS:  TMJ ANKYLOSIS WITH POSSIBLE CORONOID IMPINGEMENT   Thanks! ...

Near Shock Syndrome?
Mar 14, 2010

"Patient presented in early infancy with (s/l near shock) syndrome." I can't find anything in my references that this would be.  Any ideas? ...

S/L Ostergonin Syndrome. Anyone Know?
Mar 15, 2010

nm ...

Cromoquois Syndrome?
Mar 25, 2010

The patient is achondroplastic and the doctor spelled the syndrome "cromoquois," but I cannot confirm it anywhere in reference books or on the Internet.  Any ideas? ...

Some Sort Of Syndrome
Mar 14, 2011

She's dictating history, and I'm hearing s/l Mori-Mori syndrome...any ideas? ...

Issacs Syndrome
May 21, 2011

I am wondering if it is Issac's syndrome, Issacs syndrome or Issacs' syndrome? ...

Kettleman Syndrome
Jul 01, 2011

Anyone ever heard of Kettleman or Keddleman syndrome?  Definitely not saying Cattleman syndrome.  Thanks. ...

Word Help[syndrome]
Oct 13, 2011

It sounds like the doc is saying lilly garlingson syndrome.   I believe maybe it is Early _____ syndrome. This is driving me crazy, he stumbles then goes back and says it again but I have no idea!   ...

SIRS Syndrome
Jan 27, 2012

Doc says "SIRS syndrome" but the last S stands for syndrome. Transcribe as dictated or leave off the word syndrome? ...

S/l Bayset Syndrome
Jul 19, 2012

Dictated as "an unusual manifestation of (s/l) Bayset syndrome."  Report is on a patient with possible connective tissue disorder...I can't find anything remotely close and suspect I just can't see the forest for the trees on this one. TIA to anyone who can help! ...

S/L Don A Barro Syndrome
Jul 26, 2012

The infant has a possible history of Don A Barro syndrome.  Sorry I did not put it in sentence form the first time. Thanks for your help. ...

Hade's Syndrome
Mar 22, 2013

Given the aortic stenosis, this could also be secondary Hade's syndrome (s/l) ...

Tahki-tuo Syndrome
May 19, 2013

the norepinephrine component can have cardiac effects such as tahki tuo syndrome.    Spelling ?? ...

Need Help With CHARGE Syndrome Dx.
Jul 07, 2013

Hey all, I'm doing a psych report and one of the diagnoses is CHARGE syndrome. My question is--do I spell it all out?  Or is an accepted abbreviation for the diagnoses section? CHARGE stands for the following:   Coloboma, Heart, Atresia of the  choanae, Retardation of growth and development,  Genito-urinary, Ear anomalies and hearing loss Coloboma, Heart, Atresia of the choanae, Retardation of growth and development, Genito-urinary, Ear anomalies and hea ...

Softy Syndrome?
Aug 30, 2013

It is in a past medical hx list, have no clue! ...

Butke RA Syndrome?
May 31, 2014

He states that a patient underwent a liver transplant for (s/l Butt-key RA) syndrome and secondary to myeloproliferative disorder. I'm lost on this one.  Anyone have any ideas? ...

Long QT Or QTC Syndrome??
Sep 03, 2014

All I have ever seen is QT syndrome and all I can find when I google it but it sounds like he is saying QTC syndrome??? ...

Sl Pick-quick-eon Syndrome
Oct 15, 2009

This in a list of diagnoses.  By context, it is a respiratory condition.  Thanks.  ...

S/l *desirae Russay* Syndrome??? Thanks. Nm
Oct 24, 2009

nm ...

The Turn Signal Syndrome
Nov 11, 2009

Honestly, this dictation I'm doing is like the turn signal syndrome.  What I mean by that is people who don't bother to use their turn signals when they turn (I know, I'm anal.  I even use mine in parking lots).  There's a reason they're on the car and it's against the law not to use them when indicated. This doctor doesn't know how to use the turn signal, er, um, pause button, and I'm sitting here listening to um, ...