A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So torn that I'm absolutely a wreck! Need advice please. - UNDECIDED

Posted: May 19, 2012

I've been reading these boards for years, and have never posted. But I'm desperate for some advice. I have worked for years at a very small company as an IC and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, life events threw me a curve and I was forced to find an employee-status job.

I thought I landed THE best opportunity. I have been with Accentus for a few months and absolutely hate it. I WANT soooooooo badly to like it and make it work, as I do believe it is one of the better companies out there. I do not like the platform at all, the inability to make a good line count, or even the account that I am on, the lack of feedback, and what I feel is overly picky QA. I'm hoping things will get better with time and maybe their platform is just going to take a longer learning curve.

However, I did test with another company a while back and was offered a full time job there as well. MD-IT. Which I have read/heard there are many different companies that make up that one company, and I don't know which one it is for. All I know at this time is that it is a strictly cardiology account that pays per dictated minute instead of the traditional per line. I can tell you though that cardiology is my favorite, and also my strongest, specialty. While what I'm typing at Accentus is a bit of everything, very heavy on OP notes, which I need a bit of refreshing on.

I hate to burn bridges with Accentus and jump ship too soon...but I'm wondering if I'm miserable now, if it will ever get better? And don't want to pass up what could be a perfect fit at MD-IT either.

I do not like to "job jump" and am looking to stay somewhere long term (was at my last for 8 years). Does anyone have any advice? I'm not new by any means, been doing this 10+ years. I'm just so frustrated right now, I really do not know what to do.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really do appreciate any advice at all. I haven't slept in days! :-(

Can you work both for awhile until you can make up your mind? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
If at all possible that is what I would do, at least until benefits kick in and then maybe stay at Accentus on a part-time basis.

my advice - mt22

[ In Reply To ..]
Take the job at MD-IT. If you can, take it as an IC (look into buying your own benefits, it's so much less stressful and no more expensive than what most companies charge you.) I work for an MD-IT company and as an IC I flex my time. So perhaps you could undertake working some extra hours until you see how the MD-IT gig pans out. My only concern for you would be volume of work available. You might find you can comfortably do both jobs.

accentus - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been at Accentus for about 6 months (acute care). I can make a good line count EXCEPT when I get a string of very short reports (all the demo stuff and using the TDE screen takes up a lot of time). I felt the same about the platform and still am not crazy about it, BUT have some shorts to make entering demo info easier.

I also HATE that I have to sign off each job, then reload the next one. It seems like I am sitting here typing a lot more than my required hours and this is part of it.

It is very difficult sometimes to get responses in a timely manner, BUT when I do get through, they are most always very nice and helpful; they are overworked as positions have been trimmed (I think the same as everywhere) to save money.

So I have thoughts of jumping at times too, BUT I am making fair money now, so yes it will probably get better. BUT I also like my accounts. I would recommend you ask if it is possible to change accounts, if you know anyone else working here ask their advice on the account. Let them know what type of work types you like, what type of reports, and see if you can get assigned to another account. The recent account opening they posted via e-mail is only for afternoon/late evening hours, but I had a friend who was on it who said it was a good account if that helps.

The advice to try both for a little while is excellent, I often fear jumping from the frying pan into the fire! That way you can try out the platform and the accounts before burning this bridge.

I feel some of your same frustrations but it is working for me, good luck with whatever you decide!!

Similar Messages:

S/l Torn Cord E Or Torn Quarde.....on Echocardiogram?
Jul 15, 2010

nm ...

Torn -- Any Advice
Oct 26, 2009

I am so torn.  I've been MTing from home for the last 13 years.  I'm married and have 3 boys, ages 12, 9, and & 7.  Lately, the money hasn't been so good and my husband and I decided it was time for me to get a better paying job outside the home.  I took my civil service test for a couple of different tests and did pretty well.  I just received an "availability notice" for a job that I really wanted.  It's medical records at a correctional fa ...

Torn Between Two Companies
May 10, 2011

Has anyone ever said yes to one company and was about to sign the paperwork but another job offer came through and had to say no to the first company.  I thought I would have a hard time  finding a job and then two offers came through. The hours for the second one is better.  I have not told the first company yet.  I feel awful. ...

Absolutely No Idea...HELP!
Oct 19, 2009

He had an abdominal ultrasound, which showed reverse lerndalytes and left guaddle veins. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...

I AM ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED.
Feb 18, 2010

Just had a doctor dictate that he told a young woman not to tell her sexual partners that she is HIV positive unless somebody wants to seriously marry her.  He told her just to ask them to wear a condom.  If they wanted to know why a condom, he told her to tell them it was a good idea for everybody to use them with all the diseases that are out there now.  Maybe I'm wayyyyy tooooo old, but I couldn't believe that a doctor was giving a young woman this advice.  ...

If You Absolutely Had To Choose ..help! ..sm
Jul 18, 2012

I've been looking for weeks.  The hospital I've been IC with for years is getting rid of all ICs - going totally VR and keeping only their existing employees.  I've tried to be very selective, looking for that great little company somewhere that would treat me with a little respect and value my years of experience.  Well, now I'm to the point that I need to start bringing in a paycheck ASAP.  I've been offered both M-Modal and Nuance - which were my v ...

Is TransTech Absolutely
Jan 25, 2013

I see they are advertising again.  I told them I'd take their test if they would tell me their line rate which they were nice enough to do (the lousy industry "standard"  8/4).  Worse than what I make now, so I had to pass, as I am trying to escape this crap job altogether.  Can anyone give me a  reason why I might try to get on with them if I were to change my mind? Thanks.      ...

I Absolutely Refuse
May 09, 2015

I absolutely Refuse to do any more VR for less than what straight typing pays. Find another Sucker to fix your jacked up reports. This is not worth my time, I am an Educated Professional.  Do not take advantage of me, I will Not sell myself short! Note to transcription companies:  Speech recognition is Not ready for medical or legal reports. It is more suited for personal or small business use at this point. Continue to push this VR crap and you will lose the good scribes.  Wha ...

Some Employers Are Absolutely Hateful!
Dec 22, 2011

It was not bad enough for them to let me go without any kind of notice, but now they will not tell DHS how long I worked for them so I can get food stamps!!  Thanks DSG!!! ...

Absolutely Ridiculous!! I Just Got Chewed Out By QA
May 07, 2012

for putting potassium was 216.  She said patient safety is an issue here.  I said ok.  I mean with the crap pay I get, they cannot expect me to memorize normal values in anything!!  That is what QA is for, for one thing.  For another, if that is what the dr said or even what it sounded like, that is on HIS shoulders!!  What a crappy job to have!! ...

Okay, Now I Am 6 Hours Into My Shift With Absolutely Nothing (sm)
Jan 30, 2013

and now I'm wondering if they threw me a bone yesterday just to leave me to starve today.  I have been checking every 10 to 15 minutes in between doing things around the house.  Thanks MM, since I had no work, I did get a chance to have lunch with my son who only had a half day of school today!  ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

I Leave MModal With Absolutely No Regrets!
Apr 05, 2013

I didn't get let go, fired, or whatever they spin it to be.  On Monday, I got a phone call from a place I was trying to get hired on with.  They had an opening, asked me if I was interested in doing transcribing.  I told them, not really.  But, after she told me that they have brought all transcription back in house, I had to come to the interview, if not for any other reason than that, curiousity.  It seems they tried "everyone" out there in terms of tran ...

Absolutely These Posts Are Monitored, But Who Cares?
Jun 02, 2013

"They" would be foolish not to read these posts.  What a great way to see what their employees are truly feeling...not that that changes anything or that they care.  As to the people who always jump on the people who "complain" (I call it venting), they are just arrogant, aggressive types who love to argue.  The one way below who was outraged that someone can't believe someone would be happy with their job, to her I say, good for you.  You're happy?  Well, you ...

You Know, MQs Speech Wreck Is Bad Enough
Nov 01, 2010

we have dictators who compose sentences such as this: "A xx-year-old female accompanied by daughter in secondary to within the last week has run out of her amlodipine, Prozac and clonidine anywhere from 3-5 days ago each of these." I kid you not, that is what this doctor said.  American doc, speaking clear English.  Now tell me, what am I supposed to do with that?  It is a verbatim account, but the last time I let some gobbly gook like that go through I got chewed out for it (!) ...

Voice Wreck For Sure
Jul 17, 2012

What's with voice rec when most of the file is full of words that are not what the dictator says. I have to type more than edit on these reports. It seems to me it should be put in the straight type pool. It is hard to concentrate on these kinds of files and do a good job. ...

Looking For Job That Does Not Use Speech Wreck
Sep 29, 2012

I worked for Spheris for 4 years and it was great. Mmodal took over almost a year ago and changed everyone to speech wreck, took Outlook email away and put us on some horrible slow email system and now it takes at least 30 minutes of wait time to get the Help Desk on the phone. I am looking for a new position that is straight transcription. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know!!!! Speech wreck has caused by paycheck to be cut in 1/3 at least. Thanks! ...

Another Speech Wreck
Nov 03, 2012

As per usual, SR came up with a medical worde for a non-medical word and used it throughout a report.  Think about what might sound like "peanuts" and substitute that in sentences like "the patient was allergic to peanuts,"  "She ate some peanuts." ...

When Correcting The V-wreck
May 22, 2014

I can't help but think of my days and months of training and if I consistently put out work like I am correcting, I would have been fired in a New York minute!!!  Please don't post the normal you can get out, it's your fault for staying, blah, blah, blah.  I just wish someone would listen as to what a mess this is and the chances of mistakes getting through because there are so many corrections and words that are not even medical or consistent with the report.  Just ...

Speech Wreck 101
Aug 16, 2014

hypo in a tree mix = hyponatremic   I wish we could bombard the emails of the powers that be and show them the crap that comes out of their famous speech recognition :o) ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Started New VR Job Today On Escription & ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT
Nov 15, 2010

I am so excited!  I started a new job today and I absolutely love my account and editing VR on this platform.  I made pretty good lines in just a couple hours using none of the VR key combinations because I haven't started utilizing them yet (figure it will take time to learn them) but I don't think avg. 300 lph is too bad on first day huh?  I was worried and now I can't imagine going back to transcribing, seriously.  I hope tomorrow and each day after is as go ...

I Absolutely Hate The New Group I Was Recently Transferred To.
Dec 30, 2013

I was transferred only about about a month ago (stolen according to my last TSM). This is a new account. Every single week it is something. I was moved to this group " because I had no production problems and no quality problems" according to my previous TSM. Thus far, I have failed 1 audit by 0.15 points, followed by passing an audit, and I have had, according to the email subject, targeted audits 3 out of 4 weeks. I got an email stating I had failed my targeted audit (1 error - date), and ...

Speech Wreck Suggestion
Sep 02, 2010

I have tried to explain to manager that the program is slow, and does not seem to ever correct a lot of "normal" dictation, so I have come here to ask a question of you.  I feel that we are not getting enough keystroke count for these jobs.  I have had lengthy jobs with small actual counts because of all the repairing (MEing), and pickiing up of nearby conversations, using markers judiciously as requested.  None of these markers are included in the count that I can see, but they a ...

Speech Wreck Programmers
May 09, 2012

Does anyone know anything about this job?  Are they real people?  Or is is a software program correcting the SR software program?  What do they get paid?  How does it all work?  How does the software program work?  It is watching the corrections we make on a dictator and make changes?  It is working from some kind of medical dictionary of possible pronounciations (I made that up!)?  Anyone up for the challenge of explaining it to me?  Thanks in a ...

I Am Already A Nervous Wreck Today
Mar 18, 2014

I know every time the phone rings or I get an Ipswitch email i'm going to have a tiny heart attack lol   The news probably won't come until tomorrow but it's the waiting to determine my whole future that's got me on edge! ...

VOICE WRECK WORSE THAN EVER
May 13, 2014

Voice wreck has been set up to make us fail. That is clear to me now. The dictation could not be more clear, but the voice wreck will change it just to mess us up and prevent us from attaining any incentive or bonus. This has been particularly true with regard to numbers in lab values, ages, medication dosages, numbered lists, etc. NUANCE DOESN'T CARE. They just want their money. Also, there is no chance for advancement in this company. The only chance for change in this company is t ...

They Promised They Would Fix The Speech Wreck.
May 23, 2014

We were supposed to provide 3 job numbers with examples of the same errors being made over and over again. Well, I did just that with numerous jobs because of numerous errors. Not one stinking thing has been done. Does this mean my TSM was just whistling Dixie and blowing smoke and did nothing about the information I provided, or does it mean the ASR technicians were whistling Dixie, blowing smoking and did nothing? Why is no one held accountable for the mess that is called Nuance? ...

Speech Wreck Venting
Jul 14, 2014

I just came across "Benzapril" listed as a medication that Speech Wreckignition picked up.  Granted, that is how this doctor pronounced it, but it should be "benazepril."  (Also notice that the original was capped while the correct is lower case.)  Now, I've seen this a couple times, and from what I understand, the speech system can't just "make stuff up."  Someone has had to have physically type that out in straight transcription (either when it was learning) or c ...