A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Silent type is advertising again. Is there sm - anon

Posted: Aug 22, 2013

really work for them?  Wondering.

I can't believe - they get anyone

[ In Reply To ..]
to come in for some kind of training, unless you lived within a 50 mile radius.

Silent Type - another anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No, there is not consistent work. If you want to work for a company that doesn't provide their MTs with enough work, who hasn't given raises in years, who has cut the PTO rate as well as the number of PTO days, then by all means, feel free to apply.

You will also be required to attend training on site, which you pay for out of your own pocket and if, and that is a big if, you happen to last there for six months, she may reimburse you up to $500 (no matter how much it cost you). If she or her QAs decide they don't "like" you, you will know well before that six months is up though and you will never see that money you spent to "work for her." Forewarned is forearmed. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Silent Type - Old-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
RUN!!

That's why I didn't take the job when I was offered. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
She said that all expenses (flight, rental car, hotel, food, etc.) had to be paid out of my pocket and she said in 6 months I would receive HALF of the payback amount (I don't think she gave it a $500 cap) and then i would receive the other HALF 6 months after that, as long as I remained employed. I am NOT going to pay money out of MY pocket under those circumstances, it's just to shady. PLUS, why don't she get on the wagon with every other MTSO, we can train FROM HOME!! What do they possibly feel they need to teach you there? My BIGGEST concern was the fact that she was telling me about getting a rental car and I thought someone from the company could AT LEAST offer to pick me up from the airport or give me the choice...it just sounded very impersonal and I had the feeling it would just be me paying for a trip up there when I had no desire to go.

this has changed and not for the better - ex-STMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for her a couple of years ago. I did get reimbursed the full $500 after six months (although it cost me almost twice that to go). At that time, she did have someone pick you up at the airport, bring you back & forth to the office, and take you back to the airport. So this just looks like one more way she is trying to save money, since I doubt most people will last an entire year there. The problem I had was that you HAD to fly to the airport she designated, and you HAD to stay at the expensive hotel that she designated. I could've saved a lot of money if I'd had a choice.

The two days of training were just a waste of time. The system was easy enough to learn from home, but she definitely has control issues and this is just a part of it.

Pay rate, vacation time, health benefits were all dependent on making minimum line counts, which became impossible to do. Then you would get snarky emails saying there was plenty of work, there must be something wrong with you.

Stay away from this place unless you want to be criticized constantly, made to feel stupid, and end up on the street because you can't pay your bills.

Wow, now it's a year? - another anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It was definitely six months when I worked there. I also heard from an MT that she recently stopped paying the twice a year bonuses, which MTs used to earn based on their satisfactory audits.

You were smart not to take the job! - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
You can do much better!

not only - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
do they NOT pick you up, you'd think they'd at least provide lunch but no, you're left to your own devices.

The training is pointless. Seriously pointless. I've trained with many companies with much more complicated systems or specs and did it at home. Going to her cost me $1150 and I was reimbursed $500 after six months (and two weeks of begging). Then the work dried up and I asked about PTO and those questions went unanswered. Then I asked about more work and was met with a nasty-M-gram.

I've many years experience in this field and working for her was one of the worst experiences ever.
The only advice I have about Silent Type - Longtime MT
[ In Reply To ..]
is run the other way. FAST.
Agree - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you are in a strange town where you don't know people. It seems they would welcome you aboard, provide transportation, lunches, etc and maybe even assign you a coworker or something to make you feel a little more comfortable while there. They just make you feel like a stranger or something....very weird people for sure!
Agree - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe not so much weird as just plain old unprofessional? There are a lot of people in the business world who don't know very much about business manners. These people could match you with a mentor, take you out for coffee and spring for a lunch. I mean, come ON. Their trainees are paying their training costs. Somehow this just does not seem fair.

Silent Type - Job posting says top wages

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure what that means but if there is no work, it doesn't matter what the pay is. Top wages x no work = $0.

Silent Type - WMCBS

[ In Reply To ..]
WHAT MORE CAN BE SAID!

Agree with:
1) There is no work.
2) You do get told you are the only one not making production; hard to do with no work (but you know that is a lie because others are complaining of the same thing).
3) You do not get your benefits because you didn't meet production; WHICH (OMG I used the forbidden word, LOL) is hard to do with no work.
4) I was not reimbursed for my travel/training expenses (my e-mail requesting it was totally ignored and never answered (x 3) WHICH total cost was 1200.00; of which reimbursement was to be only 500.00 but that NEVER happened either.
5) Once hired the atmosphere of the working relationship/communication takes a turn from friendly and helpful to COLD AND INDIFFERENT with short-snippy emails.
6) THERE IS NO QUESTIOINING your line count, guidelines, QA audits or anything. She is ALWAYS RIGHT!
7) PTO that you do accrue, if you do happen to get enough work to earn it, will not be paid if the work dries up, and you will be told it was taken away because you did not meet production on a consistent basis (head scratch - is she joking - there was no "friggin" work, can't meet production when no work equals 0% production) so you lose your PTO that you had already earned.
7) Again, WHAT MORE CAN BE SAID!? A LOT, but its a mute point, so I'll just put that "puppy to rest."

For those who will ask, yes I did work for her well over the year requirement, and yes I did meet above minimum QA requirements and in the beginning met way over minimum production until the work dried up, so I should have been paid for my travel expenses and accrued benefits, BUT WAS NOT!

So if you fancy a vacation (because it is on your dime) to NJ, being lied to, and making no money...ITS A GREAT JOB waiting for you!, but I'm outta there!!

Elvis has left the building....LOL

Crazy - Not a lawyer but...
[ In Reply To ..]
...I would question the legality of some of these things this company is doing, that's for sure.
Where's Nick, our favorite MT turned law student? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
He may have some input.

Similar Messages:

Job From Silent Type Sm
Dec 15, 2010

I am wondering what the pay for minute dictation versus line dictation calculates to.  What would be a good pay for minute dictation.  If there are any Silent Type employees who read this board, please email me and let me know what to expect on an offer from them that would be good?  Thanks! ...

Silent Type?
Sep 26, 2011

Can anyone give me info on Silent Type, either on the board or by e-mail? Would like to know about steady work flow, general idea about line rates, if they provide equipment, straight typing versus VR, weekends required, and do they still require you to train on site at your own expense and if so when is that reimbursed?  Any current info would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance. ...

Silent Type. Yay Or Nay?
Mar 15, 2012

Before I entirely commit myself to what seems to me to be their rather intricate and involved application process, would love to hear what others have experienced with them.  I am a long-time MT (20+ years).  I have been around the block but am not a job hopper, so I am looking for a long-term employer.  Thanks! ...

Silent Type UEB
Jun 18, 2012

Have any of you filed for unemployment benefits yet?  I am only getting enough work for about 15 hours a week, if that.  Just curious if anyone has filed for UEB and, if so, did Silent dispute the claim. ...

Silent Type MTs - Nm
Jul 03, 2012

deleted ...

Silent Type MTs
Feb 14, 2014

Do the latest emails mean we are officially part time? Who can live on this? ...

How Has Silent Type Been For Everyone
Sep 04, 2014

How has Silent Type been for everyone else recently?  Do you have work? ...

Silent Type Job Posting
Mar 24, 2010

Did anyone apply or test for Silent Type and if so, would you care to share? ...

Silent Type - Good? Bad?
Aug 02, 2010

Good? Bad? Any info would be appreciated. ...

Has Anyone Had Any Experience With Silent Type? Sm
Jan 10, 2011

I have never seen anyone post anything bad about them, so maybe that it is a good sign?  I wouldn't mind the trip to NJ.  Any information is appreciated.   Thanks. ...

Silent Type 2-day Training?
May 12, 2011

Has anyone actually traveled to New Jersey to do the 2-day training? ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Silent Type?
Sep 02, 2011

Is anyone familiar with Silent Type? What platform do they use? How are they to work for?   Thanks! ...

Silent Type Travel
Nov 17, 2011

Does anybody know if Silent Type still requires traveling to them for training?  TIA ...

Does Anyone Know Whats Going On With Silent Type
Feb 23, 2012

Does anyone know whats going on? ...

Status Of Silent Type
Apr 16, 2012

Does any one know the status of Silent Type?   Is there work there or not?  Are they being bought out?  Did the contracts not get renewed?  Should one look elsewhere for employment?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help. ...

Silent Type Work
May 24, 2012

I have been with Silent Type for a year now.  I enjoy the fact we work M-F schedule and no weekends.  I also enjoy the fact that we have good QA.  I also enjoy the fact we get vacation and bonuses.  I also enjoy the fact we are offered health insurance and 401-K.  Girls don't forget these perks when you are complaining about the work being light.  I have been in this field for over 35 years and there is always the concept of too much work or no work in the field of transcription.  Do ...

Silent Type.. Just Wondering
Jul 11, 2012

Anyone gotten any info on the "something spectacular" that was suppose to happen in June? Still waiting..... ...

Silent Type MTers
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone have a clue anymore?  Looked like work had picked up a little and today nothing, got a couple of jobs, then ZIPPO-nothing.  Is anyone getting any work?   QAs, MTs, anyone????  time to cut the losses and move on!!!     ...

Silent Type - Any New Information?
Jul 26, 2012

Does anyone have any new information about Silent Type in New Jersey? Thanks! ...

Silent Type MTs Come Forward
Sep 27, 2012

Is anyone getting work?? I am told there is plenty of work, but keep getting "no jobs available". If you are getting work, when do you get it?? I have flexed every way I know and still get no work. If you are getting work, are you milking the system 24 hours a day to get it?? If someone would please tell me how they are making production requirements I would sure appreicate it, because I haven't made it for months now. ...

Silent Type - No/low Work
Dec 27, 2012

I checked the archives and there were some posts from earlier this year about no/low work. Just wondering if anyone has any more recent information on this company. ...

Silent Type MTs - Who At ST Does VR, Are You Meeting Yours?
Feb 06, 2013

Any MTs at ST doing straight transcription, and if so are you meeting your required production? Who at ST does VR, are you meeting yours? If you are meeting your required production, would you mind sharing with me the schedule you are working to meet the requirement. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

How Is The New Year Looking At Silent Type? Nm
Jan 02, 2014

? ...

Silent Type - What VR Platform They Use?
Jan 23, 2014

Can anyone tell me what VR platform they use?  Thanks. ...

Silent Type Is Getting So Scary
Feb 05, 2014

This is getting so scary.  It's more than just holiday slowdown and winter storms.  Where is all the work?  Please, please, please, if any CURRENT employee knows anything, I'm begging you to share with the rest of us.  ...

Any Current Information On Silent Type
Nov 11, 2010

Any current information on ST?  I kow you have to go to N.J. but other than that, what's the scoop?   Thanks!! ...

Silent Type - Enough To Share Any Updates?
Apr 10, 2012

Anyone brave enough to share any updates? ...

Silent Type MTs - Required Pages For The Day?
May 23, 2012

Are any of you getting the minimum required pages for the day?, because I'm not. Kinda erks too, as it really brings our average down and our benefits and PTO are based on our average pages, not to mention the bonus, which will now be the minimum because we can't get work. ...

Silent Type - Anyone Else Still Out Of Work Today?
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone else still out of work today?  Just wondering if anyone else has work actually.. im out. ...

Silent Type MTs Plenty Of Work
Aug 21, 2012

I was hired and told there was plenty of work.  I could get all the pages I wanted.  I am seeing a patten of only 1-2 days a week where  I get work and the other days it just trinkles in.  Is the the normal pattern for the work flow??  If so, I may have to swim out of this stream real fast.  Any info you would be willing to share with me would be appreciated.  I left my last job because of low work volume but was getting more than this.  I came to Silent Type because I was promised pl ...