A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pre-employment testing sm - Applicant

Posted: Dec 23, 2013

Do all the major companies require actual transcription of voice dictation, or do some of them only require on-line skills assessment, i.e., Q&A, multiple choice, etc. I have found that some of these voice files are actually very hard to understand, deliberately done or not, placing the applicant in a disadvantaged position to start. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thx.

Testing - No more for me

[ In Reply To ..]
I recently applied at Acusis and they sent me an e-mail with instructions to do a two hour test. I e-mailed them back and said no way would I take a two hour test without knowing anything about the job, the hours, the pay, etc. I got a reply and they said that is how they do it. I deleted it! I have taken so many of those tests only to never hear back or not pass according to them. I swear you have to be a premed student or English major to do most of them. I have a job and when I applied, she sent me three dictations which I transcribed and I was hired; not all of these stupid hoops you have to jump through. I had a 30 day probation. it is just another way of these places beating us down or wasting our time. You are right on about the dictation too. I have had some where you can't even use your foot pedal and play it back. I have tried even writing them out and then copying that! How nuts was I? For what they give us and the way they treat the majority of their employees, I wouldn't feed their fire! The MTs have taken all of this and look how it has turned out, we need to turn it around and make the companies need us again, like they used to. If not, let India and VR do their work. They don't have to test!

Acusis testing - Curious

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the posters, but does anyone working at Acusis want to share their views? Did you get a lot more money by having passed (as opposed to the usual rates posted here)? Working conditions, NJA, and such? Please differentiate between ambulatory and acute divisions. Thanks.

I passed the test 5 years ago, worked - there for 5 years, and then - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
got tired of all the NJA, the bad accounts, the bad transcription platform, the constant instruction flip-flops, the daily b.s., and their super-cheap pay, and I left last year. Worst move I ever made, joining that rotten company.
TYPO: (i passed the test 6 years ago, - worked for them 5 years). Sorry
[ In Reply To ..]

A 2-hour test is ridiculous. I might think it's a way - to get a little work caught up for them. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
N M

Acusis Testing Didn't take me more than 45 minutes - YaWannaJobTakeTheTest

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Take the Test - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
WHOA! Hope you "get a grip" for Christmas!
Tired Of The Winey,DontWannaDoThis.... - GimmeGimmeGimmeAttitude
[ In Reply To ..]
around here.
Then don't read our posts, case closed SM - SamMT
[ In Reply To ..]
And what are YOU doing ... harassing and trolling the poster, who has every right to his/her opinion. Don't like it?? Don't read it.

You come across as a CHILDISH troll & bully.
I'm Sorry - Not Troll
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
Did you actually read your nasty post SM - Sammy
[ In Reply To ..]
before you posted it? How would you feel if YOU were on the receiving end??

This was an obviously mean-spirited post.
Then why do they call it a 2-hour test ? nm - Applicant
[ In Reply To ..]
Kudos to you! Everybody else requires 2 hrs.
Because the max time allowed is 2 hours? - Could be. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Maybe, maybe not - but any company that SM - HeidiHo

[ In Reply To ..]
had to resort to such tactics is playing LEGAL Russian roulette. Just think about it ... think about the nightmare of possibilities ... use your imagination (NO lol).

Most of them do require testing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but these are mostly the big companies. I have found that the companies I did not have to test for turned out to be a much better place to work than ones I had to test for. I have spent countless hours doing that stupid test on mttest, some of which I passed and some I did not. I am NEVER doing those tests again. Like the previous poster stated, why should we spend hours on a test when we know nothing about the job?! It's ridiculous.

Try TTS - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
I just recently applied at TTS and within 2 days had been hired with only a written 50 question test. No typing test at all. I am working with them as my second job but they are still hiring. The account that I am on always has plenty of work and OT if you want it, but no demanding emails like some companies telling you that you must put in OT.

I started at TTS - this past summer

[ In Reply To ..]
and they have kept me in work. I applied with them online at their website and the recruiter, I think his name was Gary, called me the very same day. We spoke several times and he had to make several phone calls to check for a position but it all worked out and I have been quite happy. They do make you commit to a schedule but they also have a pretty good vacation policy. Good luck to you.
TTS, stay or run? - jumpinship?
[ In Reply To ..]
Can you tell me if you're still happy at TTS? I have only been there a few weeks, but at 3.034 cpl, I don't think there is much potential in a good paycheck, even though the platform is easy... and some of the dictators are horrid. Are you able to get a decent line count now that you've been there a while? I'm debating whether to stick it out and hope for the best, but I've made that mistake before. TIA

Most job ads and company websites tell you something - about the job like if

[ In Reply To ..]
whether or not its acute care, type of platform, hours, if PTO is available and if you get benefits. You can ask about the cpl rate.

Not to be mean, but the idea behind testing on - difficult dictation is to

[ In Reply To ..]
see how well you can decipher it. If you are experienced in typing difficult doctors and heavy accents, it will reflect on the test.

MTSOs need to know that you are capable of doing the difficult dictations as well as the easy ones.

One last thing - Testing, Not OP

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP stated they didn't want to take the test w/o some information about the job, hours, pay, etc. I feel the company should provide some sort of information regarding the position, before you spent two hours or even 45 minutes on a test. Again, how many of us have taken those tests, to no avail? Again, don't be so harsh; took you 45 minutes, bravo, got the job, well you just rock. Are you making any money? If so, again kudos and if not, you are in the same boat as most of us, except with an "attitude."

A test without any information on pay, etc, is ridiculous. - Why waste my time on 3 cpl VBC? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to know what the hours and wages and schedules are first, before I waste my time even taking the test.

Why should I spend even 45 minutes on an attempt at a job where they want a CMT who memorized the BOS latest edition for only 3rd shift, all weekends and holidays, 3 cpl on VBC, and such other crap conditions.

I. Think. NOT.

I did that years ago, asked a prospective employer very politely for the information, stating that it's a waste of time for both of us (me taking and you grading) if the wages and conditions are not what I'm looking for.

It's a very fair and reasonable question to ask, and really sh**ty of an employer to not give you that information. If you test and then hear the deplorable wages, you'll likely refuse the job anyway, so it gains an employer nothing to withhold the information. It really saves them time and effort to post it right away so people know.

MTSO's - have some courtesy and professionalism at least for prospective employees. Withholding that information does NOT give a favorable impression of you at the start. People may take the job right now because they are desperate, but it certainly doesn't give incentive for someone to put 110% effort into the job for an employer who doesn't respect employees right from the start by withholding information and they'll likely move on asap if there's no trust or respect from you. Keep that in mind.

Some base pay on how well you test. - The solution to that is to
[ In Reply To ..]
simply ask what the pay scale is before testing. Most will tell you.
Acusis doesn't. They pay everyone the same - lousy poverty-wage. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Most MTSOs will not post pay info up front SMy - Paloma
[ In Reply To ..]
Usually they'll post the ad just giving bare-@$$ information about the job, along with a link where you will spend time filling out an application & then spend hours testing.

They are so picky re. PC requirements, equipment, platform experience, can you fly backwards, etc., that I want to know beforehand if I even qualify.
No, they wont post it. Thats why I said ask before - testing.
[ In Reply To ..]
They should have a phone number available on there website. If they dont have a valid contact number for MTs then probably best not to apply. They should atleast have a general toll free number with an option to press to speak with a recruiter or someone to ask that question.

RE: One last thing. You got the wrong poster - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
#1. OP said some files were difficult to understand; re-read her post paying particular attention to last few sentences. I am simply saying maybe they choose the difficult files for a reason - i.e. to see how experienced you are with difficult dictation and ESLs.

#2. I have'nt worked for an MTSO an over 6 months and when I did' I worked for MM' not the company you are accusing me of.

Again, I was not trying to be mean, just telling the truth. If I were going to hire an MT' I need to know if she is capable of doing ESLs and difficult dictations as well. There is no attitude in that.
One last thing - Not meant for you,
[ In Reply To ..]
but the post by the yawanna job, gimmegimme ones. Just listed it under yours without realizing you could take it that way. I agree with what you said 100%. The yawanna job is the one with the attitude and superiority complex! Nuff said, I am off to enjoy Christmas eve.

Similar Messages:

MT Pre-Employment Testing Scores
Apr 23, 2010

Hello All, I just received the results of my pre-employment testing.  I have not had to "score" on a test in quite some time.  One company asked me if I had been contacted because I scored 50% on the transcription side.  What does that mean?  The other company stated that I did not pass their test.  It was graded by a regional recruiting manager and they are saying that I made several critical errors?  Like what?  Does anyone have any insight to the scoring of ...

Precyse Solutions Pre-employment Ctr Testing
Jul 15, 2012

Does anyone have a link for a practice test or sample of pre-employment tumor registrar test? Thanks ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

At-will Employment
Aug 16, 2011

If your employment with an MTSO is "at will," doesn't that apply to BOTH you and them? The legal meaning of "at-will employment" is as follows: "A common-law rule that an employment contract of indefinite duration can be terminated by either the employer or the employee at any time for any reason; also known as terminable at will." So, given this legal rule, why are we deemed ineligible for rehire when we leave an MTSO without what they perceive as fair notice? ...

Need Employment Help PLEASE
Nov 18, 2011

I need some help.  I recently became a single mom....and then lost my previous job due to taking some time off to gain custody of my niece due to an abuse situation she was in.  So now I am a single mom of 2 children.  After 2 months I finally found a job but not doing transcription.  I am not making it financially with what I am doing now, especially adding the cost of gas driving 30 minutes each way back and forth to work.  SOOOO.....I am in desperate need of some help ...

PRN Employment
Apr 15, 2012

Are there any "reputable" companies offering prn transcription opportunities any more?  I am finding myself with times where my workflow is slow and would love to have a backup, but I also dont want to commit to more than I can handle.  Would appreciate some suggestion/feedback.    ...

Looking For Employment
Jun 24, 2014

Hello, I am currently looking for employment in either In-House transcription near Spring Hill, Florida or employment with a company that will provide the computer and equipment needed. Any information is appreciated. Thank you, Kathy ...

Employment Status Changes
Dec 06, 2009

For anyone who has changed from full-time to part-time status, have you still been able to get time off when needed, and what exactly is meant by flexible part time (flexible for whom)?  With all the recent changes, I am finding it necessary to begin heading in another direction. ...

Considering Employment With Medquist
Oct 05, 2010

I took a test for Medquist three months ago and was told I didni't pass, even when I know I had to have.  I got a call this afternoon from someone in HR about wanting me to please take the test again.  Is this company worth working for?   I've looked online and some people are posting that they are only making $7-9 an hour?  Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Considering Employment With Amphion
Jan 05, 2011

I am considering employment with Amphion.  I've heard it's a great company to work for. Does anyone have any feedback regarding Amphion that they'd be willing to share? Thanks - Joyce ...

Healthcare Employment
Jan 16, 2011

Has anyone else answered ads for them.  You do a really EASY test. They offer to train you for free..  then send you emails... basically to schedule a job interview.  You text them.  They send you this agreement, which says that in order to work for them you need to plunk out $450 to buy their software.. This does not quite seem on the level to me.. I have been working in this industry going on 20 years.  I work in house right now..  but job situation is precariou ...

Trying To Gain Employment
Aug 17, 2011

I graduated from Kaplan University last July and I have still not been able to find employment in medical transcription. I have even tried to get my foot in the door as far as working as a medical receptionist, secretary and in medical records to no avail. Is there any advice that you seasoned MTs can give me? Any and all advice would be greately appreciated.   Thanks, Keasha :) ...

Employment Advice
Aug 31, 2011

In a nutshell, I graduated from Career Step in 2007 with High Honors and worked for TRS for a year.  I was happy at TRS and produced quality work (98.5% accuracy).  Then life intervened and the past few years have been rough. The good news is, I survived   I would like to get back into transcription, but I am having a hard time filling the "recent" experience qualification most reputable companies have.  In an attempt to refresh my skills while I am waiting on rejection emai ...

MQ Employment Test
Dec 14, 2011

Has anyone with experience taken the employment test (transcription part) and not passed with 98?  I cannot believe this.... ...

Odd Employment Question
Feb 18, 2012

Let's say you apply for a transcription job and they intend to do a credit check which you know will show you late on payments (because you are unemployed).  Does that automatically disqualify a person?  I feel like I have no business applying knowing my credit is less than stelllar at this moment in time and it is depressing.  What to do. ...

Do You Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes?
Apr 23, 2012

If you are an independent contractor, do you have to pay self-employment taxes? ...

Employment Terminated
Nov 07, 2012

I got canned yesterday for not making over minimum wage. I meet over the minimum lines requirement, but still not enough for minimum wage for my state. We had also been running out of work a lot lately. I had one verbal warning over the phone a little over a month ago, no written warning, and no "performance management," and was scheduled for a mentoring session later this month...totally taken by surprise. I was hoping to hang on until retirement in 2 years, but with the drop in pay, increase i ...

Who To Contact About Employment?
May 31, 2013

I've applied at Nuance, but I never hear anything back. Does anyone have an e-mail address of someone I can contact? I've gone to the site but can't find one. ...

How About Synernet Has 2 Ads For Employment
Jan 06, 2014

Not fair. ...

MM India Employment Ad
Apr 04, 2014

Greetings from MModal, Coimbatore, TN. (Ex-CBaySystems).Immediate openings for MT Professionals for In-house work @ MModal, Coimbatore with below mentioned benefits:• Fixed Base Salary. Attractive Performance Linked Incentives for achievement and exceeding targets. Line one quality incentive over and above the target based on required quality% Lucrative Night shift allowance. Flexible Working hours for HBTs Performance based promotions as per Career Pathing and Development (CPD). ASR i ...

HDS Student Employment
Oct 11, 2014

Do you know of anyone that hires  students that are about to graduate with a 4.0? ...

Employment Question
Nov 21, 2014

Fifteen years ago, I worked for a certain employer and was terminated after 4 months in a particular position. I recently applied to that same employer for the same job. While completing the application, one of the questions was if I had ever been an employee of theirs, and I chose no because it had been so long. Is this going to be a problem (application didn't ask for SSN)? If so, should I try to contact the HR department and explain that I need to reapply and change my answer? Or if it g ...

Employment With Amphion
Feb 02, 2015

Anyone have any thoughts on employment with Amphion?  I have been an MT for over 23 years most recently working for small company which has been forced to downsize due to EMR.  I have applied at 10 different transcription companies only heard back from about 3 which is very frustrating.  Just wondering if anyone has any information good/bad regarding Amphion.   Thanks   ...

Employment Verification
Apr 27, 2015

I can't seem to find the number for empolyment verification.  Can anyone help? ...

Transcend Radiology Employment
Jan 21, 2010

Saw a job posted early this morning on the Transcend site, they have openings for radiology MLS if anyone is interested in applying. ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

Penn Foster Course And Employment ?
Sep 05, 2010

Has anyone completed the Medical Transcription course at Penn Foster and has successfully gained employment? ...

Re-employment Service Orientation (sm)
Sep 27, 2010

Has anyone on UE gone to a Re-employment Service Orientation appointment?  I have one scheduled for 10/12 and would like to know what it involves, what they do, etc.  Would appreciate any info.  ...

Anyone Heard Of Healthcare Employment?
Mar 09, 2011

Has anyone heard of Healthcare Employment?  They are, I think, located in Florida and paying from .05 to .11 cpl.  They have a training program which is free but the books cost $60, but the course is not mandatory.  ...