A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Operative reports/ESL - TB

Posted: Nov 28, 2011

Is it possible to find a job with one of these national companies with not a lot of operative report experience or ESL experience?   Those seem to be the two things they are most interested in.  I have been an MT for27 years.  I have tons of experience in a lot of different specialties, just not much in the way of op reports or ESL.  I worked for Transcend for five months (very difficult account) and found it almost impossible to learn the op reports, mainly because it was so very difficult to understand the ESL docs, plus so many residents, etc., never got a chance to get the hang of any one doc.  Just wondering if it is time to find a new career, even though this is the only thing I have ever done!

LOL ... how does that happen? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow ... what I find incredible is that you've been an MT for 27 years and never got good at the 2 biggest factors for tenure in acute care. My first thought is that you must've done clinic notes for urgent care in a place like Middletown, Nebraska because as an MT in any other city, Op Reports and ESLs are a MUST.

op reports/ESL - TB

[ In Reply To ..]
Not really so incredible. I worked in an orthopedic office for 10 years as their transcriptionist, followed by Family Medicine and many years at a rehab facility. Following that emergency room reports, and now back to Family Medicine reports again. Up until just recently I have made a good living! Just seems now most of the docs are moving to EMR and finding ways to eliminate MTs.

Looking for work to match your skill level - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
There are several companies who have acute care divisions AND clinic divisions and depending on your experience you'll probably qualify for 1 of the 2. Acute care/hospital work is what is in highest demand because of the level of experience required with ESL and Op Reports but it sounds like clinic work might be better suited for you which are outpatient procedures, urgent care and emergency room notes. When you apply around, be sure to let the companies know that you are looking for outpatient work. In my experience in recently looking for a new company was that most of them were more than willing to match my experience level, hours of availability, and past work experience with the work they have available. IMO you shouldn't have that tough of a time finding clinic work.

Years of Experience - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, 27 years is impressive, but it's not 27 years of acute care, so you are better suited to clinic work, which for years has been gradually becoming more and more lost to electronics. I would recommend (if you can afford it) taking a full MT course that has heavy training on acute care. You'll breeeeeze through the clinic stuff, and since you have had some terminology knowledge in general, you'll get through a lot of the acute care stuff, too. It's a matter of getting your ear used to the ESLs and the flow of the op notes. You would definitely get through the class faster than someone who has had no experience. You already have some terminology, and you already have that coordination thing between the ear, the hands and the foot pedal.

P.S. - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
P.S. You also have some medication knowledge, which is in your favor big time, but do keep in mind that there are many meds that are very specific to hospital use and you won't hear in clinic reports. Ditto for a lot of the terminology.

If you like ortho - I have heard that wordzZpressed (sm) - pearlywhite

[ In Reply To ..]
is an excellent place to work. It's mostly clinic work. 7.5 cpl, but I have heard lines are very easy to get. Good dictation. I didn't pass their test (2x). I think they are looking for near 100% perfection. I know I passed the second time because it was very easy, so I am wondering if they count off for every comma, etc. I also don't have the BOS 3 and that may have hindered me. I have also heard that the team leaders are very, very nice. Good luck.

wordzXpressed...sorry - pearlywhite

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

BOS 3 - TB

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have the BOS 3 either, maybe I should get that! Thanks for all the good advice!

Ortho - wordzMT

[ In Reply To ..]
WordZ is an AMAZING company to work for. Been with them for almost 5 years and make a great living. Yes, the test is hard but if you can get past that, it's a breeze.
They might be great but they're not hiring - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
They're not hiring right now. It's posted all over their website and they also say if they're not advertising for help on MTJobs.com then they pretty much don't want to hear from anyone, LOL.

Breitner - Helping Hand

[ In Reply To ..]
Try Breitner. They are a good company and they do a lot of clinic notes, but they do expect high-quality and for one to be able to work with very minimal supervision/help with regard to platform, PC setup, account specifics, etc. They want one to "hit the ground running." Once done with training, which is about 3 days, they expect you to pretty much work on your own. If you are able to do that, this may be the place for you; if not, then no need to waste your time or theirs. Not meaning to sound rude or anything, just matter of fact. Best of luck to you!

Similar Messages:

Do Tier 2 MTs Do Operative Reports?
Aug 09, 2012

x ...

Operative Word
May 10, 2011

The sentinel node was identified and excised.  It had an (s/l ex-vevo) count of 2800. Thanks in advance. ...

Need Help With An Operative Word!
Sep 07, 2011

This is in reference to a gastric bypass, ......Roux and Egrec were performed.  THANKS! ...

Surgical / Operative Position
Jun 15, 2010

The patient was placed in a Maltern-dalenberg position.  (The procedure being performed is a total abdominal hysterectomy.    It sounds like Maltern-dalenberg.  This was also dictated in an ear lobe mass excision.  Any idea what the right word would be?  Thanks! ...

Coronary Bypass Operative
Dec 31, 2010

A reverse saphenous vein graft was then constructed to the third obtuse marginal, brought to the circumflex using running 7-0 Prolene for old distal anastomosis and probing old distal anastomosis prior to completion of _______ (s/l    d-cert they were paytent??).  Cold blood cardioplegia was given through each vein graft with the completion of the distal anastomoses. I have hilighted the areas that I need help with.  Any suggestions?? ...

Operative Note Mess
Jul 07, 2011

The distal end of the bile duct was oversewn with running, locking 3-0 PDS, and the end-to-side choledochojejunostomy was done to the loop of jejunum with a running 4-0 PDS suture. We placed Evicel around this **s/l "so a ligamentum teres off the shassum posterior** and anchored. Omental pedicle flap was then fashioned **s/l and anterior to anteriorly** to protect the anastomosis. Thanks in advance. ...

Operative Report-revised Septorhinoplasty
Apr 14, 2010

Operative report, secondary procedure is revised septorhinoplasty.  The preoperative diagnosis is "Palaferal calasis nasal deformity" is what it sounds like, but I have looked in my book and searched the web-cannot find anything that matches...can anyone help me please!! ...

Ortho Operative Note Help Please, He Is Cutting It Off .... Sm
Aug 18, 2010

Some *Daptik* was applied to the wound and the patient was placed in a soft cast.    I know this but he is cutting himself off and my mind has gone BLANK!!!   TIA ...

Operative Report Anthology Stem
Aug 17, 2011

Anthology stem, high offset with a plus 8 occinium head Do you captilize Anthology and Occinium? in all caps like online? ...

Type Of Sheath- Operative Report
Nov 21, 2012

7-French "dilock" sheath ...

Operative Procedure - Right Hemicolectomy With Intraoperative Biopsy Of Sm
Apr 15, 2010

peritoneal s/l "seeding"? ...

Operative Report Skin Grafts From Burn
Feb 07, 2011

Transcribing Operative Report (Burns, skin grafts from thigh) The tourniquet was tested and was found to be working and was placed up at 300 mL of mercury prior to excising__________(sonds like - uraft)and taking the donor skin.   Just can't figure it out....Thanks! I think I have the 300 mL of mercury right..... ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

All Kinds Of Help With An Operative Report With A Surgeon With Heavy Accent: Primary Procedure: Rong
Oct 26, 2010

I am having a really hard time under the Findings and Procedures with an Operative Report. The Primary Procedure is: Rongeur of Perforated Duodenal Ulcer Omentum Patch. The Secondary Procedure is: Standard Gastrostomy and Witzel Jejunostomy. Can anyone please help me? Thank you in advance! ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

Surgical S/l "floor Time" In Operative Report
Nov 11, 2011

Is this a commonly used term?  I have not done very many operative reports, and none for this particular doctor.  It sound like she says "Floor time 9.25 minutes."  I guess this means the time in surgery, but I have not heard this before.  ...

ER Reports
Nov 21, 2009

Should ER reports be a priority? I work in-house and this week our transcription department was ordered to type all ER reports as priority, before any inpatient or radiology work. The order came from the ER committee to our department head and down to the transcriptionists. Any thoughts on this? ...

Looking Up Old Reports
Mar 07, 2010

does anyone know if this dqm lookup reports is working adequately.  It seems like a whole lot of trouble to find any. I know this was discussed down below about where the heck is dq main menu and search.  I tried looking up by dictator and its a waste of time as there are not any old reports there.  Thank you to any help out there.  ...

Anyone Know If You Can Look Thru The Old Reports When
Mar 09, 2010

you are not clocked in and working in Docuscribe?  ...

QA On Reports
May 11, 2010

Can anyone tell me since MQ has gone with the Swap Board and First Time Right, and we are sending reports, etc.  Have you had more frequency of being followed by QA?  I was just wondering how that works?  ...

Re: OB Reports
May 17, 2010

I know I will be asking many questions in the coming weeks since I am going to be taking a more active approach to studying for the second part of my final. Can anybody please tell me where I can go to get more info on OB reports online? Some of the stuff that the doctor dictates is so hard to figure out since I am not familiar with the OB terminology at all. For example..here is the physical exam section of the report (keep in mind I have flagged certain sections). Here it is:   ...

Can You Look Up Old Reports At Your Job?
Jul 28, 2010

I used to be able to at my old job last year. Now I can't do it at my new job. I asked and was told it is because of HIPAA. Can you look up old reports at your job? It sucks that I can't do it. It would help a lot. ...

Oh, No. My Op Reports Went ASR.
Aug 11, 2010

I love doing op reports even with the mandatory standards as I can insert my expansions and am very familiar with them (when I get my primary).  Now it's all ASR and I have to use those standards.  I have to cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste, lose my skip markers, can't use my expansions AND I now get paid less for the reports.  Any suggestions? ...

Too Many Reports To QA
Dec 03, 2010

I just was spanked for sending too many reports to QA.  I sent ONE to QA in the last 3 months!!!  HAHAHAHA!!!  ...

QA Reports
Apr 13, 2011

Anyone out there who works remotely for a hospital.. can you tell me how your QA is done.  Wondering if most are like my employer.  Our QA is done sporadically.. maybe twice  a year.  We get a stack of reports in the mail that may be 6 months to a year old.  Our editors follow none of the standards our department has set up, and usually just whatever they feel is wrong, is wrong.  Also, we can't go back and access the voice when we are looking at the errors to ...

Where Are My QA Reports Going??????
Jan 30, 2012

I checked my work 1 hour ago.   Just checked again and all 6 reports with 100% QA are gone.   Three new reports, one with crappy grade (missed a heading), and 2 100% reports now show.    How can you maintain QA with reports flipping in and out??????  This is Nuance.  ...

Does Anyone Keep A Log Of Reports For The Day?
Apr 17, 2012

Hate to waste the time but Im gonna do it today..I have several jobs that I put through QA for terms that I really should know but cant find and I never get them back from QA with fixes...Just wondering, we were victims once before and no matter how much OT I work the counts never seem to go up much... ...

Reports
May 28, 2012

Have you ever noticed that as soon as you are proficient in an account you are switched to a new one???? AND in certain reports are required to use a standard even though it is an SR report SO you are doing straight type in an SR report, being paid at SR rate.  Something doesn't seem quite right or fair. ...

IME Reports
Jul 05, 2012

Can someone explain to me the expertise required to do IME reports as it compares to acute care hospital work? TIA ...

Reports Going To QA
Oct 16, 2012

If a report is really bad, cant even find the patient- when it is uploaded and we have a note to QA, is that report sent to be charted and the doctors, or does QA fix it, whatever, and THEN is sent? Do we do anything different so it does NOT get sent to the client first? Thanks you guys!! ...