A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Offered VBC line rate - unsure

Posted: Jan 07, 2011

I have been offered a position for 0.08 VBC line/65 characters.  I can obviously figure this is going to be less than with spaces.  Is there anyone here who DOES get paid this way and if so, how much of a difference overall is it?  I have not accepted the position and am not sure how offended I should be, or if I should be offended at all since "this is the new industry standard."  I have been in this buisness a long time and have apparently never dealt with this "new" way of doing things.  Anyone with personal experience? 

unsure - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
well, what is your experience, you didn't say. Unfortunately it seems to be the going rate these days. If you don't accept they will probably find someone that will.

15+ years - AC, multispecialty (nm) - unsure

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

years of experience - IC

[ In Reply To ..]
see previous post on this board titled "8 cents 20 years experience" that pretty much sums it up. Seems as though companies are getting hundreds of resumes

sorry but what is VBC - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
?

"virtual black character" - visible to the eye - no spaces (nm) - unsure

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

VBC is just another way to cheat us on pay. - If their counting software only - see/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
recognizes and counts actual characters, and not spaces, then a REPUTABLE company would shorten the number of characters that constitutes a line, such as from 65 char/line down to 53-55 char/line. That would be the FAIR thing to do, but of course, we all know these vermin are anything BUT fair.

Comes out to about 7 cpl - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Not worth it - I'dbetypingjustlikethisandseewhathappens. A space is a keystroke and should count as it keeps the verifiable black characters as words insteadofonebigmessforsomeonetofigureout. :) JMO.

just about 7 cpl is right but it is not 7 cpl - mtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
It comes out to approximately 18.5% less in pay. So do that math.

The THEORY behind VBC is to INCREASE the MT pay so there is no financial loss.

I'd tell them thanks but no thanks.

I would take it but . . - job searching

[ In Reply To ..]
keep looking and see if you get another offer

I emailed you, I may have gotten the same offer today. nm - Sap

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

History of VBC - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
When MedQuist was sued (and lost millions) for fraudulent billing practices, MTIA and AHIMA (who are deeply beded partners) decided they needed to protect the industry and provide a line count that can be verified independently and decrease confusion. When they proposed billing by VBC, it was applauded more by MTIA than anyone else, but there were protestors even high in the ranks who feared this method would be used to decrease MT pay. AHIMA did not embrace the concern that the industry would use VBC as a reason for decreased pay. If you care to search, you can find threads discussing the issue. Some argued that the per line rate would certainly go up because of the new math.

You should expect higher per line rate with the VBC method, not less. Instead of 8 cpl, you should expect 11 or more. Even AHIMA representatives stated the VBC method was meant for billing clients, not for being the method used to pay MTs.

I boycott any service offering pay by VBC and encourage everyone to do the same. I would be interested to know whether or not MQ MTs were transitioned to VBC pay since the lawsuit was lost.

Another way of paying VBC, as my MTSO, pay on a 56 - character line instead of a 65 char. line. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oops, should say pay on the equivalent of 65 char - line. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oh for heaven sakes, the VBC in itself is not the bad thing - it is the rate of pay that is offered. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company that does the regular 65 character line WITH spaces and then other accounts that are VBC because of the contract. So when getting paid for spaces I get paid X-amount of cents per line and for the VBC they add 18% to my standard pay to make up the difference. So let's take industry standard which is 0.08, so do the math 0.08 x 0.18 = 0.0944. That is at LEAST what you should expect with pay. Its not the counting method that is the problem, its the rate of pay. Get it?

yes, i get it and..... - unsure - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I counter offered for .09 and was told they could not do that, so I've decided to pass. With my experience, I felt this was just not good enough. I'm also good at what I do and love what I do, so I think I'll hold out for something better. I'm grateful that I can hold out and it saddens me that this is what it has come to. Thanks everyone for your input!

Similar Messages:

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

What Is The Going Per Report Rate For Radiology? I've Been Offered A Job
Feb 16, 2012

that pays per report and I'm trying to get an idea if what they are offering is fair.  I live in the rural midwest.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

I Just Got Offered .50 Cents Per Line And Wondered
Mar 25, 2014

what is the going rate for most MT jobs per minute of dictation? Help! ...

RE: Post Below About New Hire With 30 Yrs Exp. Offered 4 Cents A Line
Nov 03, 2010

She says the offer was "set in stone."  This makes me believe that MQ is going to either try to cut everyone's ASR pay to 4 cents a line.  They will either get rid of the ones somehow (nit pitting followed by QA pay cuts, making "tweaks" to DQS that are annoying and slow us down, causing up to want to quit, etc) or we will accept their new "set in stone" rate.  They will sugar coat it by saying, "We are ONLY reducing your ASR pay not your regular transcription rate" and then ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

Per Line Rate
Oct 13, 2009

Is it typical to be paid a higher per line rate with a clinic account or a hospital account? ...

PT Line Rate Cut
Nov 25, 2009

I  know a lot of us wonder what the reason is for PT status MTs to lose 1/2 cpl.  We have been told that it is because at some point we could possibly switch to FT.  If our bank, where we have our checking and savings accounts would send us a letter telling us that starting next month we would have to start paying $200 per month for our house payment, even though we do not own a house, but this was just in case some day we might, I think we would all tell that bank they were nuts ...

LINE RATE FOR VR?
Nov 03, 2010

Hi.  I used to work for MQ when they started VR.  The original pay cut was 20% of CPL.  I know it is much lower now.  What are they currently paying for VR.  Not interested in coming back but just curious.  I left when they took away our primary accounts and started to send us reports from God Knows Where...Each report from a different account.  Do they still do that also?  Thanks in advance. ...

Rate Per Line
Nov 09, 2010

does anyone know what the going rate for line count (not character) is?  someone is wanting to hire me for $.03 per line and i thought that was robbery ...

ASR Line Rate?
Feb 04, 2012

I was told that if they have to keep supplementing your paychecks to get you to mini wage then they will have to take action.  What is the logic here?  On the accounts that I work on I have yet to break 160 lines an hour and mostly stay around 150. I swear it just can't be done.  All I get is ASR.... so here is the math... 150X.04 (I think) = $6.40 The requirement to keep my job is only 120, so really I am doing 40 more lines than I should.  Here is what I need to ...

VR Line Rate
Apr 05, 2012

The company is moving over the VR.  Currently I am paid 9.5 cents a line for straight typing.  Can anyone tell me what would be an equivalent line rate in VR? I appreciate any input.  Thank you. ...

$$ Line Rate For VR?
Feb 25, 2013

Can someone please tell me the variables for VR line rate?? Highest amount per line anyone is making? I have been offered .045, is this average or low? ...

Line Rate?
Mar 20, 2014

I just got laid off after 9 years of getting paid by the hour.  At the end I was making $12.50 per hour that was with a large pay cut I got last year.   I have no clue of what is a good line rate and how much that approximately equals per hour.  I have read posts saying people are making mininum wage.  What rate should I look for and how much per hour would that be for part time work? ...

QA/QC 0% And 0.07 Line Rate? Why?
Dec 17, 2014

I am Ambulatory.  My time card says my QA and QC are 0% and my line rate is 0.07.  What???  Like someone else who posted on here, I only have 1 score in FIESA from back in the beginning of December, and that score was 100%. Does anyone have any insight into why my line rate is 0.07 and why my QA and QC are 0%??  Anybody else in Ambulatory seeing the same on their time cards??     ...

QA Line Rate
Jan 01, 2015

Does anyone know what the going pay rate is for QA lines?  Is it normal to get hired into a company as QA, or could it possibly be an MT position and they just want to pay me slave wages?  I do have 15 years' experience, but wanted to make sure this is possible. ...

What Is The Line Rate At SS?
Feb 08, 2015

I'm down to 2 companies left and SS is one of them. Tried all the rest I care to. I've always hesitated to fill out their application because I thought it was ridiculous for just an application. I'm surprised they don't ask when you were weaned or potty trained! Anyway, I'd appreciate an honest answer. Thanks. ...

TTS Line Rate
Feb 18, 2015

The last I heard TTS was paying .0342 CPL for editing.  Is this still the case?   I tried to calculate extra for headers that I understand TTS pays for, but that would only amount to about $1.65 per day, not even enough for a box of Top Ramen!   I'm curious if anyone has insisted on more.   Also interested in what you think of the platform used for oncology. Thanks for any info!  ...

Fair Line Rate For SC
Jan 04, 2010

I am starting up my own MT Business and want to make sure I am not over/under charging.  I was thinking 12 cents a line.  Is this too much/too little? I am currently working for a MT business and I am making 8 cents a line but that company is located in Virginia so I cannot really use them as  comparison of what to charge the doctor's offices.  Please advise! ...

Line Rate Incresae
Mar 05, 2010

Hi, Just wanting to get some opinions on a way to go about asking for a pay raise from a doctor that I transcribe for.  I definitely want to send a formal letter of some type and I'm not sure if I should ask for an increase or just state something like, Effective April 1, 2010 my rate from (whatever it is), will go to (and then the new rate).  I really appreciate any input that anyone has. Thanks! ...

Holiday Line Rate
Mar 10, 2010

Just a question.....Tried to see where it was on the Q sites, but I just don't have the time to look.  Anyone know if Easter Sunday is one of those days where we get paid 'extra' to work? ...

Does Anyone Know What The Current Line Rate For ASR Is Now
Apr 01, 2010

Last I heard it was 3.5 cpl.  Do they offer shift incentives?  Thx. ...

QA Line Rate Reduction
Apr 26, 2010

Why is it that we receive a reduced line rate when the blanks cannot be filled in by QA either? I've checked my feedback and most of the QA markers I left were also left blank by the QA person. So those reports should not count against us. How am I supposed to know what QA can hear or what they know? ...

QA Rate 3.5 Cents Per Line??
Sep 25, 2010

It is just me or is 3.5 cents per line for quality assurance editing sound like a very low rate of pay, or is that the norm now a days? ...

Question About Line Rate?
Jul 19, 2011

Is 8 cents a line (paid for spaces) a good rate for an IC? Is it typical? ...

DTS / Transcend - New Line Rate?
Jul 20, 2011

Has anyone been requested to call to find out your 'new' line rate.  ...

Will Someone Tell Me How To Find My Line Rate?
Jun 16, 2012

I went into Ultipro but still cannot find it. On the base rate page or whatever it's called, which I thought was where the line rate was, it's not there and all numbers are different and I'm probably not even reading the forms right. Thanks. ...

What Is The Line Rate For Holidays?
Sep 03, 2012

Does anyone know?  ...

LINE RATE DILEMMA
Sep 13, 2012

My last couple of companies have been devoured by the squid so i'm again exploring other options. Better to take an offer of 9 cents per line for ESL/difficult dictators or 6 cents per line for easy work? Both call themselves IC, though really they aren't (want a schedule).   ...