A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Landmark hires employees or independent contractors? - 1moretime

Posted: Dec 18, 2012

Could anyone tell me if Landmark hires employees or independent contractors?  Would appreciate your help on this.  I went to their website but it does not mention it.  Thx.

Either option is available - take your pick

[ In Reply To ..]
I chose IC, but I could understand if you work on an eScription account at the 3cpl, that might border on the insane. (I am in ExText at 8 cpl for straight typing and 4 cpl for editing.)

LM IC v EMP - LM MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The ONLY thing being an employee gets you is they withhold your takes and match your SS. No PTO or other benefits to be had. At least any of the umpteen times I've asked, I've gotten no response, so I'm guessing they dont offer anything.

you got it - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
you got that right, take the "no answer" for the answer "NO"

And if you're an IC you submit them a schedule anyway - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They told me as an IC I need to submit them a schedule of hours/days I would be working. And they told me I MUST work one weekend day. Now, how is that an IC?!

sigh schedules - lmmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Just because you are asked to submit a schedule, does not mean you are NOT an idependent contractor. I sure wish people would educate themselves. And Landmark doesn't tell you what hours you will be working, you are telling them. As to the weekend, they have to have coverage 24/7. Again, it doesn̢۪t make you an employee because you work a weekend day.

when it is mandated you have to work a weekend day - that is - no longer IC - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As a true IC, you also don't have to submit a "schedule" of hours. You can say my TAT is 8 hours, 12 hours, whatever. If they are asking for a schedule of between when and when or a shift, that is no longer IC - it is employee. It's your contract to negotiate. Sadly, people will just let them manipulate the IC/Emp fine line instead of turning them in. You don't have to work there to turn them in, either.
not to quibble - but i am quibbling
[ In Reply To ..]
Because I give them a schedule does not mean I'm not a contractor. It does not make me an employee to say I'm working on xx at yy.

All this "turn them in" stuff is ridiculous.
They don't require a schedule - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They require that you tell them daily how many lines you plan to type. That is not a schedule. They also require a weekend day, but you can work anytime you want during that weekend. I no longer work for LM, but I do believe they are one of the few TRUE IC jobs left. If you were hired as a painter, independent contractor, the person hiring could tell you...."I need you to paint on the weekends, because that is the day it is best for us to have wet paint around." You, as an independent contractor, could say "NO, I only work Monday through Friday" and they could find a contractor that best suits them OR you could agree, because that is best for your customer, and you could get the job. It does not make you an employee just to agree to work certain days. LM requires no certain hours at all just an "estimate" of lines you plan to type and in my experience there, they did not even harass me about that. BUT, I never was able to get my lines due to lack of work, that part wasn't good.

I like Landmark - AB

[ In Reply To ..]
I just started as an IC for them. There is a lot of work on the account I am on. They leave you alone to work and don't bombard you with e-mails or anything.

I like them, too - Happy

[ In Reply To ..]
I've only been with Landmark for a few short months, but I really like them as well. It's true that they don't bombard you with emails or phone calls. They totally leave you alone to do your work. The only time you really hear from them is when an account needs extra help. They are also extremely flexible. When I was hired as an employee (not IC), I was asked what I preferred for hours and I told them that I prefer evenings, and that was good enough for them, so I don't really even have a set schedule. They do ask that you try to put in at least 8 hours during the weekends, but you can do those hours whenever you want and don't have to sit there and do 8 hours all at once, which is great. Most importantly, I have always had more than enough work and never run out. I highly recommend checking them out. They hire both employee and IC.

employees but NO INSURANCE - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been working for them for a few months now. While they say you are an "employee" all they do is take out taxes (of course) and do NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE. They will pay a PORTION of your insurance premium but you have to find your own insurance somewhere else, and they pay maybe 5%. Also, I haven't gotten paid the past 2 pay periods. Supposedly it is an "error" but my checks are not direct deposited even though I filled out the paperwork and they PROMISED....I got a paper check 5 days after payday, and now was supposed to get paid again this week, no money yet. I am done typing another character until I see money and a good explanation. If you have another option, I would say keep on going past this company.

No pay - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I suggest you go and get a prepaid debit card and use that to direct deposit your checks if you do not have a bank account or do not wish to use yours. I worked for Landmark as well and I know they don't intentionally not pay, but they are VERY disorganized. I also opted for paper checks initially and I also got my checks extremely late and there was ALWAYS an excuse! One time the owner told me there was a "bad storm" and the mail was slow and my check was three weeks late!! I know there wasn't a storm bad enough to delay mail delivery for three weeks or that would have been all over the news. Then, it was computer error, person forgot to mail checks, etc. I finally just signed up for direct deposit and my checks were never late again.

Do we work for the same Landmark... - Never had a problem with Pay

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't dispute anyone's experience, but are you working for the same Landmark I work for in Pennsylvania? I've worked for them for over 4 years and have NEVER had a problem with my pay being late. Never. The only time I had an issue was when they switched payroll companies and the old bank account into had been moved over instead of a new bank account. That was rectified on the next business day.

There are pluses and minues to every company out there, but at least with this company, being paid on time has never been an issue for me.

I've never had a problem with pay either - Landmark MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been with Landmark for a little over 2 years and have never had a problem with pay ever. In fact, my direct deposit usually shows up in my bank account the day before pay day. My pay has never been late.
Never had a problem with LM pay - Knitter
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with LM for quite a while and have never had any problems with pay. It is always accurate and direct deposited on time. No complaints here.
except - apples and oranges
[ In Reply To ..]
the person who commented on the pay very clearly stated she was dealing with a paper check. Everyone who has stated their pay is on time has said they have direct deposit. So the experience of the DD MTs simply doesn't compare with that of the paper check MTs.
Re: Paper checks - Anna
[ In Reply To ..]
Why on earth does anyone not use DD in this day and age?

Similar Messages:

How Do I Pay Other Independent Contractors??
Oct 30, 2013

I am a self-employed medical transcriptionist. I work for a single practice as an independent contractor. I need to "hire" other independent contractors to help me keep up with my work load, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any and all information and advice from others who have done this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!! ...

Anybody Heard Of This For Independent Contractors?
Nov 17, 2009

In order to comply with the standards and criteria the Federal Government has set forth to determine who qualifies for IC status, MD-IT has designed a couple of very basic questions to see if an individual is eligible to be classified this way.  1.  Is your business incorporated, a LLC, S-Corp, or Partnership, with a separate FEIN, or are you a sole proprietorship with a registered DBA (fictitious name)?   If yes - can you provide evidence of such? (copy of registration ...

Illegal Not To Pay Independent Contractors
Dec 13, 2010

Is it illegal not to pay independent contractors twice a month.  It was agreed to in the hiring process? ...

Independent Contractors And Nuance
Jun 06, 2012

When Nuance bought Webmedx they said they intended to keep the Independent Contractors. They have now "laid off" the last of one, with no notice. They were able to get around the 2-weeks notice by laying them off instead of officially terminating them. They talk about re-instating them "soon," but since Nuance has no other independents that the one they inherited with Webmedx, I certainly have my doubts about any reinstatement. ...

Should I Hire A Tax Pro Or Do Most Independent Contractors
Feb 18, 2013

This is my first year filing taxes as an IC.  It seems over my head, but maybe just because this is my first time.  I really would like to avoid the 250+ my local tax person wants to charge and apply that amount to the taxes I will be owing.  So is it that difficult or should I just let the pros do it?  Thanks ahead for any advice ...

Question For Independent Contractors
Sep 13, 2014

To the independent contractors out there...How much do you usually average per hour when being paid per lines?  I just recently took a job a new company, what they offered in cpl seemed to be decent, but once I got working the software they use is extremely hard to get a good line count.  It seems I just keep typing (and/or edit for the SR) away, but the lines take forever to add up.  I think we are paid 72 characters for line, no spaces, no headers/footers, and you ...

The President's Speech About Independent Contractors
Jan 25, 2012

The President gave a speech today/yesterday (work the midnight shift so it is still today).  He was talking about the independent contractor thing.  Here is that part of the speech.  Is there any hope for me?   Helping Middle-Class Families Win the Future .....blah....blah....blah.... and then: Ensure Proper Classification of Employees to Protect Benefits.  When employees are misclassified as independent contractors, they are deprived of benefits and protections to w ...

Companies Wanting Independent Contractors These Days ? 
Dec 13, 2009

Why are there so many companies wanting independent contractors these days ?  Some of us need benefits ! ...

Landmark Insurance - Does Landmark Offer To Full Time Employees?
Jan 24, 2012

What kind, if any, insurance does Landmark offer to full time employees? Medical, life, dental, etc Need medical and dental and thinking about taking a job here. ...

Who Uses DocQscribe And Hires Employees?
May 12, 2015

thanks ...

Does Anyone Know If Keystrokes Hires Part-time Employees? Nm
May 04, 2012

nm ...

Does Landmark Use Employees Or IC? Ad Doesn't Say. Nm
Jan 13, 2012

. ...

TTD Contractors And Other CA Contractors Who Are Owed
Aug 22, 2012

Here are the two places you need to contact.  File those claims!  Don't let these cheats get away with this.  and MOST IMPORTANTLY contact the companies who contract with the company who isn't paying you - I'm sure they would like to know the (lack of integrity) of the company they are dealing with.   California Dept of Consumer Affiars:  http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/index.shtml   Small Claims Court Advisor:  http://courts. ...

How Much Should Indendent Contractors Save...
May 14, 2010

From each paycheck? Is it 15%? I might be becoming one. ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Independent Contractor Means "independent" Contractor - Sm
Oct 22, 2014

I am so tired of these companies hiring for an IC position and then when you are not at your keyboard johnny on the spot at 11 a.m. every day to start your day and sometimes start at 12 p.m. or 12:30 p.m., they are calling your cell, sending threatening E-mails.  They never stipulated in their contract that if you say, per se, you are going to work 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and you start a little later, say 12 p.m. and work until the work is completed still getting getting the work completed well w ...

Hires New MTs
Jul 02, 2010

In my ongoing search to find a job, I came across this company that I thought I would pass along. It is Northeast Transcription Inc. and their site says they hire new grads (within the past 6 months). You have to be able to stand on your own from the start - there's no mentoring or special support, but it would be worth checking into. Good luck. ...

To All You New Hires
Oct 04, 2012

I wish I could be happy for you; however, the MTs on my account have been out of work for the better part of the week and we were informed recently of the plan for the company to add more MTs to this account. Great, more of us sitting around out of work. Welcome to the company. ...

New Hires At AHD
Feb 13, 2014

Any of you folks started working for them yet?  ...

New Hires
May 04, 2015

I notice in their multiple job postings that Nuance mentions "a steady flow of work" and a "sign on bonus"..... I am just wondering how many of you new hires out there have actually seen this bonus come to fruition....or the steady flow of work??? ...

MQ Recent Hires...
Dec 29, 2010

So did anyone who trained in the last month start working yet?  How's it going?  Any insight to offer those of us still waiting to start?  I'm kinda freaked out at everything I read here and I truly should stop reading it; however, it's like a train wreck I can't seem to look away long enough to give myself perspective.  Add to that that I'm already depressed for other reasons and things are not looking so hot in my neck of the woods on any level.&nbs ...

Does Anyone Know If MQ Hires PT MMEs?
Feb 16, 2011

x  TIA ...

SoftScript Hires IC's?
Aug 12, 2011

Does anyone know if SoftScript hires IC's?  Thanks! ...

Does Anybody Know If Keystrokes Only Hires
Sep 06, 2011

full-time positions or do they have part-time positions as well?  TIA ...

Transtech Hires IC's
Sep 18, 2011

Can anyone tell me if Transtech hires IC'S?  Thanks! ...

Anybody Know If Transcend Hires P.R.N.? Nm
Jan 09, 2012

X ...

So MM Is Offering 7 And 3 To New Hires Now??
Apr 18, 2013

As per the post below, 7 and 3 pennies per line.  Seriously, when will the madness end?! They have got to stop treating us like "typists." Actually, even a typist would make more than that.  You'd be making like 7 bucks an hour!! Oh I am just hopping mad right now. This company is just appalling.  Glad I am planning my escape. ...

Medical Ink New Hires
Mar 31, 2014

I was wondering if any of you have had work yet on the account that starts with K and is in CA.  I have not had any yet and made my hours in the early morning until early afternoon.  Thinking I may have to switch but will give it some time for the dust to settle so to speak since it is a new account.   ...

New Hires At Patient First?
Jun 22, 2014

Anyone recently hired by Patient First?  How long did the whole process take?  It seems like things are moving really slow. ...

Medscribe New Hires.. How Is It Going?
Nov 02, 2014

Anyone willing to tell how they like working there?  Does there seem to be enough work? QA seem fair? any info helpful. thanks. ...