A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Landmark Transcription - beginning to have my doubts - busygranma

Posted: Aug 29, 2013

Hi, all- I am a transcriptionist (employee) at our local hospital and we were all recently told that Landmark was taking over our transcription department. We were given severance packages and were told that we would be offered positions with Landmark to continue doing the hospital transcription. None of us have heard from Landmark yet, and I was just wondering about anyone else's experiences with this sort of transition and just how smoothly it really went. I'm beginning to have my doubts. Thanks.

Not usuallly good for the scribe - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on the agreement between Landmark and the hospital - they may not be under a true obligation to employ you, and even if they do you now work for them so expect many changes despite what they tell you.

One advantage you have is that you know the account - so unless they slash your pay, etc., it may not be too bad. Good luck!

That is REALLY surprising! - Landmark

[ In Reply To ..]
Landmark is a smaller company and it is pretty surprising that they are taking over. They are a pretty disorganized company. The "head person" there seems to have ALL duties, many of which she doesn't appear qualified to do. With that being said, if you want to work for them, I would just apply, because like I said as unorganized as they are, it is doubtful they are going to contact you.

Also, just keep in mind, there are some people on here that work for Landmark and love it. They say they never run out of work. BUT, there are COUNTLESS people who never are able to come anywhere near their line counts with this company. They will likely over-hire for this account and you will be in the midst of many MTs on it. They actually have an ad running now though, apply and see what happens, but HAVE A BACKUP PLAN.

I agree very disorganized!!! - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am related to the person who set up their computer and internet system and he told me to apply for a job. They are located in near neighborhood. I applied for a job and got the run around from them. They told me that I was hired but then told me things were slow and they would contact me when the work picked up. I read reviews about their employees running out of work all the time and having no work all the time, so I decided to stay where I was. I agree have a back up plan. Also, be prepared to get your pay slashed probably in half. That has happened to most in house MTs when their jots are sourced out to MT companies these days. It happened to me and it was extremely traumatic because I was doing the same job for half the pay.

I am very shocked that LM took over a hospital - BeenthereLM

[ In Reply To ..]
account completely and their employees, however, don't expect to hear from them, too unorganized. If you want a job with them, then you better apply. They usually do overflow work. There is really only 1 person running the show and that is K. No real QA, no training, no IT, nothing but K. I recently left due to lack of work, or at least never knowing until I tried to sign in if there was or not. NO STATUS UPDATES ever-so you have no clue what work is there. Very, very unreliable, so for those inquiring about transitioning, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP PLAN AND DON'T QUIT YOU DAY JOB, and they will surely overhire and you will sit with no work to do. Landmark is notorious for that and you can bet it will continue! I was there over 5 years and finally couldn't take it anymore, now at a stable company with plenty to do, good management and communication about accounts, and I don't have to worry about it! Just saying....think about what you need and take heed in the warnings while you figure that out.

By the way, LM has no health insurance or PTO. - LMMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you can get dental, vision, and life if you want.

@BeenthereMT - MTgonehome

[ In Reply To ..]
Your account of events are so true. The story is the same for countless MTs who cross their doors. I too used them for what they were worth because I never had any work and when going for days with no work, then all of a sudden the account is swamped and K sends out distressing emails about unhappy clients. When the work is caught up, you are told to log out of the system per the client says K. Then you are left holding your balls wondering what the F%#K. After a couple of years of this, I quit and went on to greener pastures.
MTgonehome - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
where all your bitterness and untruths come from. I am a single head of household and am able to support my family from what I earn at LM. Why are so many of us happy and you are always bashing? I truly hope you can move on to find something more to your liking.
They aren't untruths - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I once could support my entire family on LM salary as well and my work just stopped also. I was never told to log out of a system, but out of the 10 doctors I was typing for, 1 was left. No explanation of where these other ones went and each time I would ask I was told "vacation". I finally got another job and just left.

I made that transition (sm) - MT4LM

[ In Reply To ..]
Although there is negative talk about LM, I think most of the MTSO have the same complaints. The biggest issue will be salary. About 95% of my job is editing (not transcription) which pays .03 to .04 cents per line. This is ONE FOURTH what we made per line in the 1980s! I am making ONE FIFTH what I did at the hospital. Don't let any MTSO tell you that you should be able to edit in half the time it takes you to transcribe - not true. I would say on the average it takes 75 to 80% as long as it takes to transcribe, so you are taking a HUGE reduction in salary.

What I like about LM is that they pretty much leave you alone. You are not deluged with unwanted emails. They don't micromanage. The account I am on very rarely runs out of work.

Landmark - busygranma

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for the replies! I am expecting my salary to go down, and do have a backup plan. I've learned quite a bit from others just by reading this website.

I would try to transition........... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
into another completely different position within your hospital. The pay in a clerical job, medical records, reception, intake, etc., should be more than the at-home MT profession pays these days. Work at Landmark more than likely wouldn't last long enough anyway, as it tends to dry out after a while. Back when the owner "A" was running the company things seemed to run pretty smooth, now that "K" is in control, not so much. Good luck.

excellent advice (nm) - since MT is dying anyway

[ In Reply To ..]
!

Landmark - LMMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm one of the ones happy at Landmark. Not sure how the other posters can quantify a "couple" of people are happy yet 'countless' are unhappy.

I've referred several people to Landmark, which I wouldn't do if I didn't have faith in the company.

They are hands off but that's something I love about them.

I believe you get out what you put in in a lot of situations. I realize some MTs have different skill sets and needs.

It's smart to never keep all of your eggs in one basket. If benefits are an issue, look into securing your own.

Good luck!

I agree, I love Landmark - Happy worker

[ In Reply To ..]
They let you do your work. You get emails only when absolutely necessary. I love it. I find my manager to be very kind and friendly. She knows her stuff. Don't go by what you hear on this board. Try it and do your best, you may just like it. Lots of negative comments end up on this board. You will rarely hear from the happy people. There are lots of them though I am sure. Best of luck in the future. Things will work out for you the way they are meant to.

Happy worker - Black swan

[ In Reply To ..]
I second all you say. I have been in MT for many, many years and have worked for small MTSOs as well as for three large nationals. I think Landmark is the best of them all. The owners are honest and decent people who genuinely care for their MTs and treat them fairly. QA is outstanding--and kind (a rarity these days). Their standards are high. Sure, once in a while we run out of work briefly, but that happened to me at MedQuist, too, which was the largest company in the world at the time. I think it happens with all companies these days. I have been able to make a decent living with LM, and to do so while enjoying my work and being treated like a human being, not like a machine. I actually wake up looking forward to work each day. To those interested--give it a try--you might be pleasantly surprised.
what about pay, benefits?? - x
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Pay, etc. - Black swan
[ In Reply To ..]
My best advice is to contact Landmark directly with your questions regarding pay, benefits, etc. If you will contact management, I am sure they will be happy to answer your questions.
well that answers that question. wow - staying far away from them for sure
[ In Reply To ..]
I did apply with them along with 2 other companies but I will be sure not to even test now
Business manners - AM
[ In Reply To ..]
She was right not to state salary, benefits, etc. It is inappropriate to discuss such things on a public board. The proper way to get those kinds of questions answered is to ask a rep of the company. Most professional people know this.
Benefits/PTO - LouLu
[ In Reply To ..]
Having nice people to work for is more important to me than bennies at this point. In a few short months, we will be able to buy our own insurance through the exchanges supposedly. Sounds like Landmark is getting a high approval rating. Hope they at least do your taxes and you don't have to be an IC.
BLACK SWAN IS BACK! Always a cheerleader for LM- - BeenthereMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact is there is only ONE manager at Landmark and that's K. Secondly, there IS NO QA-that's K too, except for maybe 1 or 2 that "help out", so not sure why you made your "high standards" comment cause nobody is paying attention.

You will NEVER get audited or reviewed, you line counts will NEVER BE calculated because nobody cares how many lines you do, and you will never get any feedback, and that means NO COMMUNICATION in any form unless K wants you to work or not work, so that is the reason you aren't bombarded with emails.

Listen, K is it - period! One person can only do so much, so all those praising LM it is because they are pretty much on their own. K manages the accounts and keeps them in TAT, and is not concerned if YOU personally work, so overhires and everyone for themselves.

I did it for many years and finally wanted a little stability, left, and work for a very well managed and fair company that let's me know what is going on, instead of treating me like a light switch to just turn on and off when needed.

No health insurance or paid time off AT ALL, and pay is LOW-comparable to TTS and Sten-Tel!

So, tell the truth - it is what it is - like I and countless others before me have said.

P.S. If LM had just acquired my hospital, instead of waiting for them to contact me, I would be sending resumes elsewhere - every elsewhere!
countless others - purple swan
[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously? You are GUARANTEED to chime in on a landmark thread, multiple times so you can be "countless" if you're gone, then BE gone. If I'm reading correctly, there's a bunch of us who are pretty darn happy at landmark. My guess is you couldn't cut it and are sour grapes.
purple swan - another happy LMer
[ In Reply To ..]
I find it really sad that this person just seems stuck in so much bitterness. For whatever reason, LM is part of her PAST, so why doesn't she just move on and find something more to her liking? I guess it's easier to criticise (and spew untruths) than it is to better yourself. How sad. You can always count on her chiming in with some negative comment. What a waste of time--hers and ours.
I'm ex Landmark too - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not bitter, but I did all of a sudden have very little work with no explanation. After maybe a month of not even getting 200 lines per day and me repeatedly asking K what is going on, she never explained, just gave me a secondary account. Everything seemed great, back to good lines. That lasted maybe 3-4 months and AGAIN work disappeared with no explanation. I finally found a different full-time job and I work for LM part-time now.
To another happy LMer--read the LM post above on 9/2-your - BeenthereMT
[ In Reply To ..]
turn will come with this company, cause they don't care about you-just TAT, then we will see what you have to say! LOL
Oh, so Purple/Black Swan, what have you got to say - BeenthereMT
[ In Reply To ..]
about the Landmark thread started today, 9/2 -exactly, just what I said in my earlier post-but I'm the mean, bitter girl-HA! No I'm just speaking the truth! LOL

Similar Messages:

SUM Program Beginning Medical Transcription
Jun 04, 2014

Hi all, I am new here, this is my first post.  I am currently taking online classes to become an MT.  I've just finished all the medical background training classes and the BOS.  I've just gotten the SUM program for Beginning Medical Transcription today along with my foot control.  I have to say that I am pretty nervous to be actually starting the transcribing part.  Has anyone else used this particular program in training?  Any helpful advice? Thanks he ...

When I Have Doubts About My Decision To Leave,
Apr 28, 2015

I just come to this site and all doubts fade away.  As long as you continue to work for this company you will be miserable.  Moaning and complaining never fixed anything.  They don't appreciate you and never will.  They don't care about their clients, just the bottom line.  You are a number making money for them.  You can make the change, it just takes courage.  Good Luck.  I am wishing better things for all of you.  (Start by sending letter ...

Landmark Transcription In PA
Mar 05, 2010

Anyone with information on this company, good or bad.     ...

Landmark Transcription Out Of PA?
Jun 14, 2011

Do any of you work for Landmark Transcription out of PA?  I'm looking for information regarding work flow, scheduling, etc. please.  Thanks so much  ...

Anyone Know Anything About Landmark Transcription
Mar 07, 2011

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Landmark Transcription? ...

Landmark Transcription - Got The 411 On Them?
Aug 27, 2013

anybody got the 411 on them? ...

Landmark Transcription - Very Disappointed
Jan 15, 2010

Was hired by this company for a large hospital new account.  Owner said she was excited about hiring 40 MTs.  There has never been more than a few jobs per day.  It is definitely overflor and there is not a lot of that.  Not enough work for even part time.  Very vague about any further work.  Am very disappointed.  Owner does not have a grip on reality. ...

Landmark Transcription - Good Or Bad?
Feb 16, 2010

Any comments good or bad on this company? ...

Landmark Transcription - Platform?
Mar 06, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew what type of platform this company uses, and if they  are currently using VR.  Is there anything particular you MAY NOT like about this company or things you REALLY LIKE  about them?  I'd appreciate hearing about them.  Thanks  . ...

Landmark Transcription Any Experience?
Mar 23, 2010

Anybody have any experience with Landmark Transcription, good or bad? ...

Landmark Transcription Just My 2 Cents
Jun 21, 2010

I find it interesting that this posted at all, as when I was there starting part-time to consider full-time, supposedly my acct was "terminated" without notice. Now they suddenly have work?  I don't know....kind of puts the gut on alert IMO.  Just my 2 cents. ...

Does Anyone Know If There Is New Management At Landmark Transcription
May 07, 2011

Does anyone know if there is new management at Landmark? ...

Landmark Transcription Having Not Much Work?
Jun 29, 2011

I'm a newbie with Landmark. After reading the many posts on here regarding them not having much work, I realized I should have taken heed. Just the other day, I was logged in for almost 6 hours and only received 5 jobs! Anyone else have any similar experiences with them? Anything good or bad? I'd love to hear about some recent experiences.   Thanks so much! ...

What Platform Does Landmark Transcription Use?nm
Jul 14, 2011

nm   ...

Landmark Transcription Information?
Jul 15, 2011

Does anyone have any information about Landmark Transcription.  Do they have benefits? ...

Landmark Transcription - Any Info
Aug 30, 2011

Hi, anyone have any info on Landmark? Good? Bad?   Thanks ...

Landmark Transcription - I Think I Goofed
Apr 07, 2012

I think I may have made a HUGE error. After not reading and researching enough on site here I sent Landmark Transcription my resume. It wasn't until it was sent I discovered some of the messages from last year saying they are always out of work !! Just what I or any of us would need - sign on with a company who has no work. I left Soft Script because of that. Good grief, I wish I had seen all the feedback earlier. Live and learn I guess. ...

Anyone Here Work With Landmark Transcription
Jan 07, 2013

Anyone here work with Landmark?  Just want to ask a couple of questions.  I won't gab. Email me at scopekatherine at yahoo.  thanks ...

Landmark Transcription No Work ?
Mar 27, 2013

Anyone else get an e-mail this morning that as of April 1, they have lost a big acct. and we will have no work ?  Was basically told we could be put on a waiting list for other upcoming accounts, other platform.  Personally, I did not think this sounded very encouraging and with all the lack of work posts by others over the last few weeks, I guess I willl be looking at other options.  Luckily, I have work with another company and will try to get some more from them.  I really am tired of sta ...

Landmark Transcription - PA Pay Stubs
Jul 16, 2014

Is there a site or link somewhere where we can still get a record of our pay since we stopped getting pay stubs? Thanks! ...

Pay Period Changes Landmark Transcription
Nov 07, 2014

Landmark has been great for the most part until this recent notification of changes in our pay periods back to bimonthly.  Is anyone else just a little upset that we only get one week's pay for the first check of Dec. instead of usual 2?  We still only get the same check end of month for 1-15th.  Some of us have bills & will only get half the check.  I was told that no one else was too bothered by this.  Guess I'm the only one who actually works for my payc ...

Landmark Transcription Provides Equipment Or What Platform They Use? 
May 25, 2010

Does anyone know if Landmark (in PA) provides equipment or what platform they use?  TIA ...

Solid Information On What Is Going On With Landmark Transcription
Aug 17, 2010

Does anyone have any solid information on what is going on with Landmark?  I know they are doing layoffs, a friend of mine was laid off, but my account seems to be fully functional, no change in work status.  Someone said they they are closing and I was wondering if I should bail out or stick around.  ...

Landmark Transcription - The Owner Overhires
Nov 17, 2010

The owner overhires.  She gets very excitated about hiring and runs the business like a hobby.   She is a very nice lady but does not have a clue how to run a business.  This way why the recent pschy position was ignored.  Do not know if it was filled. ...

Landmark Transcription Part-time?
Sep 09, 2011

Hello.  I'm really needing a second job to make ends meet because of little work here lately and needing more money.  Was thinking applying for Landmark part time if possible.  Question:  Is this as an independent contractor or actual employee?  I would rather do individual contracting since I have my other job as an employee and would have a little bit more flexible hours.  Also, if employee, do they provide you with computer, etc.?  I looked at website but didn't find my answe ...

Any Pros And Cons About Landmark Transcription?
Nov 09, 2011

Any pros and cons about Landmark Transcription? ...

Landmark Transcription - Input On Company?
Mar 19, 2012

I have searched the archives, no real recent input on this company.  would be interested in hearing recent experience with this company, concerning work flow and whatever else ...

LANDMARK TRANSCRIPTION - Recently Hired Anyone?
Nov 01, 2013

Any MT's out there who have recently been hired by Landmark TS in Pennsylvania to transcribe for its new account? If so, what have you experienced so far in terms of management, type of work, etc.? As a recent new hire, I've found there exists a handful of dictators who consistently turn out muffled, tinny audio and/or speech that is all but incomprehensible. Yet, when I have pointed this out to the supervisor, she insists that I am alone in this complaint as QA seems to have n ...

Landmark Transcription Primary Seems To Have Dried Up
Feb 26, 2014

My primary seems to have dried up, I have OOW or dregs from secondaries.  No response to emails.  I have offered to change my shift, anything.  I need the work.  Any ideas/suggestions?  The same?  Different?  ...

Did You Give Landmark Transcription Any Notice
Aug 03, 2014

When there was all of a sudden no work any more? Or do they even care or notice whether you do or not.  Someone else is obviously doing the work so I'm thinking it won't matter much to give notice or not. ...