A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Keystrokes - straight transcription or VR? - wondering

Posted: Nov 19, 2012

I saw their ad that they are hiring.  I was curious, are their accounts straight transcription or VR?  I have been on VR for so many years now I actually prefer editing, but my paycheck has suffered pretty badly. 

sm - JD

[ In Reply To ..]
They have both depending on which account. They are always hiring, but I can tell you right now they do not have enough work to go around on the Radiology side. If it is acute care/clinic, you may get an account that has enough, but beware of Radiology.

Don't do it! - Leaving KS

[ In Reply To ..]
This is NOT a company you want to work for. There have been several pay cuts, a huge lack of work in both radiology and acute care (I work on both), and no real benefits anymore. PTO is almost impossible to earn now and people are leaving in droves, and I mean people who have been there for years. There have also been several lawsuits against them for not paying OT. I'm going to be leaving myself as I just took a new job. I personally cannot believe they are even hiring right now when their current MTs are practically starving for work. Run, don't walk. You can do much better.

I am removing my post because I have learned not to say anything positive on this board.sm - No Company is Safe Here

[ In Reply To ..]
Done with the negativity. I like my job and make good money. Anyone with a good experience or who is happy is slammed. Not worth it. I wish there was a place that we could all talk opening, regardless of our opinion, without being bashed. Not here, that's for sure.

Sounds like poor management or favoritism then. - Why not spread the work around?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not heard anyone say they don't care about a paycut. You're right it is getting bad out here when people defend paycuts.

Are they paying you for the OT because it seems there were posts they do not and try to "fix" timesheets? Didn't they have to go to court for that?

Good to know at least someone is happy! Enjoy!
been there, and it was just that in your subject line. - exKSbeastBurden NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Give me a break - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am highly offended by your post and think that your blanket statement was totally uncalled for. I personally have been with Keystrokes for well over 4 years now and in that time I have taken 3 pay cuts and have been struggling to make ends meet financially because I rarely have enough work. There will be a couple of days where I seem to have plenty of work and then nothing for days. In the past whenever there was enough work, I always did well over the full-time line count requirement and always offered to help out extra. I always went above and beyond to both try and help the accounts as well as support my family. My lowest QA score in my 4 years with Keystrokes was 98.9%, yet my pay still gets slashed and I continue to make less and less money. I have stayed with the company while others were leaving in hopes that things would get better, but just the opposite is happening. For you to assume that most of us want "everything for free" absolutely disgusts me beyond belief. I have been in this industry for almost 20 years and I can count on one hand how many vacations I've taken and how many large, luxurious purchases I've made during that time. I work 6-7 days a week just to try and get by, pay my bills, and put food on the table and what I'm making at Keystrokes isn't even doing that anymore. I'm literally starving. In my honest opinion, the only MTs Keystrokes is "weeding out" are the good, hard working, experienced ones who are absolutely fed up and disgusted with the constant drops in pay, poor management, overstaffing of accounts, and just overall being treated like a slave. I am absolutely appalled by your post. You MUST be in management or a "favorite." I don't know any MTs who are happy there right now. I know several who have already left and who are going to be leaving in the not so distant future.
Totally Agree Old MT! - Marilyn
[ In Reply To ..]
I also have 20+ years experience and work for KS and everything you said is spot on "Old MT!"! As for making more money with the pay cut as "Long Time KS MT" stated she was doing, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! To even imply that anyone is happy with a pay cut is ludicrious! I have never made 7 cpl in my life until this recent pay cut at KS, not even when I started out as an MT over 20 years ago! It's a joke, not only with KS, but any of these companies that think 7 cpl is a good wage! I'm in the same boat you're in "Old MT", basically starving and the moment I can find a decent job, I'm done with KS! I'm not surprised they're hiring because MTs are leaving as fast as they can apparently after the pay cut, the write-ups for stupid things like having a minute or two of OT because you're finishing a report or something else equally ridiculous because they treat you like you're 5 years old! Give me a break!
I hear ya! I am in the same boat. - See below
[ In Reply To ..]
I have had 3 paycuts and they have totaled 36% so far. I too am looking but stayed out of loyalty and hoping things would get better. I can no longer do that. I haven't made enough to earn PTO in at least 2 years and asking for more work gets me nowhere and the discount insurance is for someone who is healthy and not major medical they are advertising, I couldn't pay for insurance anyway because I don't make enough money. Those of you who are making good money and are busy more power to you, don't rub it in the faces of those who are not and struggling. I agree with Old MT, I don't know of anyone who is happy and you must be a favorite or management. We are entitled to our opinions and speak the truth as to what is happening, unlike you.
Long Time KS MT post...I smell a shill... - AnotherOld1
[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't have said it better, OMT. KS is not the place for a qualified, dedicated MT to look for a job.
HappyMT - HappyMTatKS
[ In Reply To ..]
I look at it this way, at least I have a job where I can work at home. There are people out there with no jobs!
Restating the obvious - AnotherOld1
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that you are grateful to have a job where you can work at home does nothing to address the practices of the offending MTSOs. We all know there are people without work, and we are all grateful for something. Reread OldMT's post and many others just like hers. Tell these MTs to be grateful that they at least have a job.
You hit it dead on - Frustrated
[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, have been employed by Keystrokes for several years and I always used to defend them to the death on this board, but I can no longer do that. This is not the same company it was a few years ago. Things have gotten particularly worse over the past year to year and a half. I'm also not making any money there and am going to leave as soon as I can find a better place to work. I'm sure I'm not the only one at KS who just took yet another pay cut. With all of the pay cuts, ridiculously strict rules on no overtime, not even a minute, loss of several accounts, elimination of account leads and implementation of the "CSS" system, and the loss of insurance, it's pretty obvious that Keystrokes is a sinking ship and it's only a matter of time before they go under completely. I feel that this company has been grossly mismanaged over the years, which has led them to this point and it's sad. I also have stayed out of loyalty because they really did used to be a good company, but it's pretty obvious that they will never be the company they once were ever again and it's time for me to look at other options.
I think they are gearing up to sell. It will be a sad day for me. - signs are there
[ In Reply To ..]
I still enjoy working there, and I am glad that we are getting Blue Cross insurance starting Dec 1st.

I don't think they're a sinking ship; I think they did the things they did to not sink. Unfortunately, now they pay like other companies and have eliminated the leads. I did hear through the grapevine that they are putting leads back and getting rid of the joke that is CSS. They are all either clueless or rude.

Don't hold your breath on getting BC/BS. - Heard it all before.
[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a co. that has BC/BS, and that's exactly - what it is - BS! It hardly pays for anything.
[ In Reply To ..]
.x.
In my opinion... - common sense would tell you
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't buy another transcription company and buy Chartnet and then say pay cuts are needed to keep KS afloat. In such dire times, it just does not make sense to make such purchases and especially to treat loyal employees in such a manner. That is called being irresponsible and insensitive.
Sounds like MM and Nuance, doesn't it? - Just Saying
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
Webmedx did the same thing. Bought a bunch of companies, cut our pay and then sold. sm - wow
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that the signs are there but I was ignoring them. I loved WMX and then the did all that. I love KS and I have a feeling it's going the same way.

I don't think they are having financial difficulties; I think they are getting ready to sell.
you won't be able to afford BC/BS, so they won't be payin - much on the company end either. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
`
Same story here - GLMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I was employed by KS for 8 years and thought I had found the place I would retire from. Great pay, accounts, supervisor, etc. There were a few bumps in the road like a late paycheck here and there and the constant switching of insurances with little to no notice, but nothing that would make me want to give notice. But in the last year or so, things have really gone down fast. Morale and workload took a nosedive. Requests for more work were totally ignored. My paycheck was cut in half in just the last year. Finally, I had enough and gave notice. What a joke to see on the jobs board that now all of a sudden they need more MTs. It really is sad. Not that long ago, I would've defended KS to anyone that would listen. That's just not the case anymore.

Waiting for you to remove your post - Okay

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Saddened by Keystrokes - out of work
[ In Reply To ..]
I too have experienced the horrible changes at Keystrokes. Had enough and finally left. I worked for them for several years, and over the last year or so, things have drastically changed. They lost several accounts, have dropped pay, changed "insurance" numerous times, and practically bullied many of us into quitting. They sent out a company survey, which concluded how happy we all were, and then surprise - another pay cut notification AFTER the survey was complete!! There is definitely not enough work to go around, yet they keep hiring. The administrative behavior at Keystrokes, to me, suggests trouble must be on the horizon.... just a guess. Very very sad.
kinda gives the -strokes in Keystrokes new meaning. - :-(
[ In Reply To ..]

LOVE-IT - LOVE-IT

[ In Reply To ..]
I LOVE it here!! I have a great coordinator and wonderful accounts. I can't say enough good about Keystrokes. Some companies are really bad, but I would say this is ONE of the BEST! YAY KEYSTROKES!!! :)

to LOVE-IT - Love-it2

[ In Reply To ..]
I am STOKED WITH KEYSTROKES!

Similar Messages:

Keystrokes - Straight Typing Jobs (sm)
Apr 05, 2012

Does anyone know what Keystrokes is offering to pay for the straight typing jobs?  Thinking of applying.  thanks! ...

Keystrokes: Is It More Straight Transcribing Or More Speech Editing?
Jun 15, 2012

thanks! ...

Is 8 Cpl For Straight Transcription As An IC Too Low?
Dec 17, 2011

I'm looking to transition from being an employee to an IC postion.  I've been offered 8 cpl for straight transcription.  Is this the new going rate, or should I hold out for more?  I've got about 9 years of experience.  Thanks! ...

Looking For Straight Transcription Job
May 04, 2012

Does anyone know of a company that is hiring for straight transcription? My job recently changed over to speech recognition and my pay has been cut almost in half because of it. ...

Straight Transcription
Oct 17, 2012

Are there any transcription companies out there that still use straight transcription that are hiring? ...

Increased ASR, Less Straight Transcription??
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody notice increased ASR in the last week or 2, with less straight typing.  Just when I thought I had already hit the lowest I possibly could, they do this.  I was at least getting between 100-300 transcription lines before, now all the sudden lucky to get any.  My pay has already been deposited in the bank, down another $100 from before.  What do they want next, blood? ...

VR Versus Straight Transcription
Apr 28, 2011

With my company I get about 80% editing and 20% straight transcription, about half as much per line editing as for transcription, of course.  Personally, I'd rather transcribe a difficult dictator than edit most anyone.  My pet peeve is when a difficult dictator's reports (which used to be transcribed) gets changed to editing status, and it takes just as long to fix the VR document but now at about half as much pay. ...

Why Are All The Reports Straight Transcription Now?
Jul 31, 2012

Not complaining, just curious.  Wondering how long I will get to type before the cruddy ASR starts again.  ...

Straight Transcription Definition
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone define for me exactly what "straight transcription" is when a company advertises for it.... I am an IC looking for the best possible line rate. Thanks! ...

Changing A VR Job To Straight Transcription
Jun 11, 2013

Sorry to bother everyone, but knew I could get an answer here.  You have a job that comes to you as VR, can someone tell me exactly what you do to change it to straight transcription?  I thought I remembered if being F11 so I did that and it said it was going to delete the text. I said okay and transcribed job.  Do I need to do anything other than that?  It never showed up in my transcription line count for the day but it is showing up as VR line count and I wondered if I did ...

Straight Transcription On Windows 8
Jul 07, 2013

Does anyone know of any transcription companies that have openings with straight transcription that accept Windows 8? I had to buy a new computer and there are so many companies that do not accept Windows 8. Good luck everyone when you have to buy a new computer because Windows 8 is the only thing out there now. ...

SR Vs Straight Transcription With Arthritis
Oct 18, 2013

Is SR easier on your fingers, joints than straight transcription? TIA. ...

Straight Transcription Counted As ASR
Nov 25, 2013

Noticed today that my one and only transcription report, was counted as an ASR job. What? I debated what to do, because it was a short dictation, after all. But, no I can't allow that. I have to count every penny. So watch those kinds of things, too. Check your stats, make some type of notation. Shouldn't let this type of thing go... ...

Straight Medical Transcription
Mar 28, 2014

Are there any companies left that do straight clinic typing with no SR?  If so, I would appreciate a share.  Contact me via e-mail.  ...

IC For 7 Cents A Line For Straight Transcription....sm
Aug 23, 2011

and 3 cents for VR?  Unbelievable!  That equates to about 5 cents and 2 cents per line respectively after taxes, and they require a second or third shift schedule.  Are they serious?  I guess some MTs are content to work for little more than minimum wage.  Too bad! ...

Are There Any Companies Left That Do Straight Transcription Instead Of VR?? NM.
Sep 11, 2011

x ...

What Companies Offer Straight Transcription Only
Jun 01, 2012

Does anyone know what companies are straight transcription? I am looking for an employee position not an IC. I really do not know the first thing about how to going about being an IC, so I will stick with what I know.   Thanks! ...

What Is The Going Rate In The Midwest For Straight Transcription And For VR?
Oct 25, 2012

I submitted my resume for an IC position and received an email requesting that I submit a proposal of what I expected to make per line for straight transcription and for VR.  With 20 years as an MT, I felt that my proposal was pretty fair.  I said 8.5 cpl for straight transcription and 5 cpl for VR. I received an email from the company telling me that generally thye pay their ICs 7 cpl for straight typing and 3 cpl for VR and asked me to consider lowering my quote.  I was fl ...

Potential To Switch From Straight Transcription To SR?
May 15, 2013

Hi - I have been doing acute care work for this client as an IC for almost two years. While I enjoy the work, I know it is probably in my best interest to start doing some SR work as well. The company I work for just asked their ICs if anyone is interested in learning the SR platform for some new SR work that is coming onboard. I am currently only making .07 cpl! I know that SR line rates are generally lower since the "assumption" is you can go a bit faster, can anyone give me a fair id ...

Straight Transcription, Opinions Wanted
Sep 25, 2013

I would like to know others' opinions on the state of "straight transcription"...is there any kind of future for it, or will the few jobs remaining gradually fade out? If, by any chance, I was fortunate enough to find an acute care typing job, will it just be lost to VR? I know it all depends on the individual account, but I am speaking in general terms, and what will be the ultimate impact from EMR? ...

What Determines Which Reports Are SR And Which Are Straight Transcription?
Jan 16, 2014

I'm just curious how the clients and/or MTSO's determine this.  You'd think it would be the best dictators use SR, but we have one that is such a horrid dictator it is faster to just transcribe.   There are also some excellent dictators that come through for transcription rather than SR.  Is this a decision the doctors can usually make? ...

Patient First Transcription Straight Typing
Apr 24, 2014

I have been seeing posts about Patient First, but I have looked everywhere and have not seen an ad or link to their website to check to see if they are hiring....I am hoping to find a good company that does straight typing, and Patient First might be an option for me....thanks in advance. ...

SoftScript Hiring For Straight Transcription
Jul 20, 2014

SoftScript hiring for straight transcription with $600/$1200 sign on bonuses. Does anyone work for them that can give me some info.? What does trans pay? Do you run out of work, how many lines to you do a day, would need 1200 at least myself at 7 or 8 cents to pay the bills. Please give me ANY info. you can. Thanks! ...

Does Command Health Have Any Straight Transcription
Oct 15, 2014

Was thinking of applying but trying to remember, I think someone said they don't do straight type anymore? ...

Missing Credit For Straight Transcription Typing
Mar 18, 2011

Does anyone seem to be missing credit for straight transcription typing.  I keep meaning to keep track of the straight transcription reports I type compared to ASR even though they are very few and far between, but I swear, every time I do get them, when I review my counts, it seems like some of them are missing.  I am going to try to keep better track of them.  Surely Medquist wouldn't stoop THAT low to cheat us . . . or would they?? ...

Are There Any Companies Hiring P/t That Still Offer Straight Transcription (no VR)?
Dec 16, 2012

Looking for p/t straight transcription with a reliable company.  Are there any left that don't require VR? ...

Question For Editors: How's Production Compared To Straight Transcription?
Sep 25, 2012

Fair Rate For Straight Radiology Transcription Per Report
Apr 05, 2013

What would be a fair rate for straight radiology transcription per report for a well-seasoned, part-time employee working every Friday and Saturday from 3P to 11P? Thank you. ...

Did Anyone Apply To Landmark For Straight Transcription Position And Hear Back?
Dec 31, 2012

I applied and got no response, just wondering if anyone was hired for the account they said started January 3.  Thanks. ...

Anything About Keystrokes Transcription?
Oct 20, 2009

Does anyone know anything about Keystrokes Transcription?  I have been burned by a company that posted a job on this site, so I try to check things out now before jumping..... ...