A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It seems everytime someone asks about a company they are told STAY AWAY.. so here is my question.... - curious

Posted: Jan 15, 2011

Who do you work for then?  If every company is horrible.. what do you do?  It seems there are no recommended companies anymore, not one.  In that case, it would seem that maybe everyone should start looking for a new career, no?

Im not being negative...or mean.  I am just curious.  Where do you go from here when the pay is low, or the company is horrible?

When I first started doing MT work 10 years ago this site was plumishing.  There were a few companies that were considered great companies that if you could get in with them, then life would be great.  lol.  Now one of those companies, OTI, is getting negative reviews.  Other companies that were given great reviews are the same way.. like JGT (if they are even still around)

I know I have lost a huge account that paid 10 cpl and was a great account to work on...and all I can find are companies paying 6-7 cpl for the most horrible dictators/accounts ever. 

I am taking a coding course now, trying to find a different career, but I need to work in the meantime and I am just looking for at least one good company to apply to..... and cannot even find just one.

What is plumishing? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I think I have heard that before.... - fishing with a plumber!

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

I think "flourishing" gone wrong. :) nm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

no more great companies because... - NocturnalHooter

[ In Reply To ..]
This industry is dying in America. Maybe someday it will come back, but I don't have time to wait. I suspect most MTs can't wait either. I would strongly encourage ALL American MTs to keep looking for either in-hospital positions or new careers entirely. At least with an in-hospital position, when the hospital outsources or offshores or goes to EMR, you will have access to unemployment compensation or possibly other positions within the hospital!

I'm back in college in my mid-40's, trying to get completely out of healthcare (B.S. in Criminal Justice scheduled for 2012, hoping that my 50th b-day present is a law degree).

Politically speaking, our jobs have left this country in horrifying numbers. It is time to pick careers that CANNOT be offshored. (I'm really not convinced that medical coding meets that criteria). Sure, we could make all sorts of noise and become activists. In the meantime, however, our children need to be fed, clothed, and sheltered. Best wishes!

That said... I am reasonably happy with my current company. Not because of the great pay (8 cpl) or the plentiful work (hah!) but because they are good people and reasonable in their expectations. The writing is on the wall though, and it's in plain English.

I don't think it is necessarily the company is bad - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
I think there are a lot of Prima Donna MTs who really just won't accept that the business has changed. I know from experience. I had a hard time accepting that I could no longer work from home and make an outrageous salary with benefits...harsh reality. I took a year off and decided to try to find other work....guess what, that really didn't work out either. Jobs are hard to come by. And work at home? HA. I finally realized that I had to suck it up and accept the changes and find a company where I could work the schedule that best suited me and for the most part I cannot complain. Is the company perfect, no, but my hospital job wasn't perfect either.

I think the MTs that are working for a great MTSO (SM) - Yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
are not telling or have been asked by their MTSO not to tell because they get flooded with resumes. I believe there are still good MTSOs out there...just have to search and try out the ones that have never been talked about on this board. A little scary, but an online background search doesn't cost too much when you are really serious about hiring on with an unknown MTSO. That's all I can figure anyway.

Also, some of the better MTSOs are requiring a higher line count, a strict schedule or a one weekend day schedule. I can't work weekends because I care for my blind Daddy so that leaves those MTSOs out for me, plus the ones that will not accept wireless internet. Good luck!

Historically speaking, the vast majority of posts are negative. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the content MTs don't post. It's the unhappy, company-bashing, industry-bashing, AHDI-bashing, suit-bashing, [fill in the blank]-bashing MTs that do most of the posting.

When the content MTs post - they too are bashed

[ In Reply To ..]
They are called liars, suits, or just plain too stupid to know they should be miserable.

I agree with the poster who said MTs don't give out the names of the good companies. Competition for jobs is enough of a beast without waving a T-bone at it and inviting it into your backyard.

Truth to tell, I mention my company because it's - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
very large, but if I worked for a good small one I wouldn't post it here, not for worry about competition from the good MTs, but to protect it from applications of others whose posts suggest they would not make good employees.

The MT industry has changed - my 2c

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the reason for the change that you see on this board is because the MT industry has gone through some drastic changes over the past number of years (and still is). Not only has the industry changed, but the companies themselves have changed too, which is why you see some companies who used to get glowing reviews now getting negative reviews.

Our jobs are being sent offshore more and more as time goes on, and one of the results of that is there are now more U.S. MTs who are either unemployed or underemployed. So, that puts more MTs out in the job market, sending resumes and looking for work.

And one of the unfortunate results of this is that the MTSOs start to adopt a more "easy come, easy go" attitude. Some of the MTSOs who used to respect their MTs and treat their MTs fairly in terms of pay, schedules and workload are now seeing literally hundreds of resumes coming in, so their individual MTs are just not that important any more because, in their eyes, they can be easily replaced.

I'm not saying that all MTSOs have this attitude (there are still a few good ones), but I do see it becoming more prevalent. If you look at OTI, the company that you used in your example, they still got glowing reviews up until just a few years ago, but then the company (management attitude) started changing and that's when the negative opinions started increasing. Like other companies, they just don't value their MTs as much as they used to.

I do agree with the other poster that the best thing to do is to start planning to change careers. The MTs who are nearing retirement will probably need to hang in with MT, but for those younger MTs (and I mean MTs in their 50s and below), I think it would be smart to start looking for a different career. With both offshoring and VR, the MT job of today is quickly becoming a minimum wage paying job in an industry that no longer respects their workers because MTs are becoming "a dime a dozen."

A lot of people who have great jobs........ - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
are not going to post their great jobs, because they don't want thousands of resumes going into their company. I do actually work for a great company and don't believe I have ever seen this company mentioned on this board.

I work for a great company - - MD-IT

[ In Reply To ..]
but it depends on what office you get and the truth is, I love the company but it's not w/o issues.

EVERY company will have an issue for SOMEONE.

You apply and try; if it doesn't work out, rinse, repeat.

I also know the office I work for hires rarely, which IMO, says a lot about the office.

There are small companies out there that are still really good to work for. Again, you have to network, apply & try :)

with changes in industry comes negativity. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, there are good companies. I work for one. - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
But they are under the radar because they are on the smaller side and haven't hired anyone for at least two years. They have not been mentioned on this board for at least 2-1/2 years, the last time they had to add staff. They don't hire often because have very low turnover. This is because they treat their MTs with respect, are fair, communicate with us, and pay decently. I hope to stay with them for a long time.

Answer to question - i like working for free

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been in this business for 20 years. I have seen my pay go from $35,000+ a year to lower than poverty level. I work all day for $3.50 or less an hour. All companies are pretty much the same now. They promise the sky and you get nothing even close. I went from unlimited work and a respectable career to working all day for nothing to being laid off/unemployed. There are good companies out there if you consider that you were lucky enough that they hired you and you now have a job to put on your resume.

Similar Messages:

Kind Of Sad When Someone Asks About The Company You Work For, And Sm
Aug 08, 2014

all you can think of to say is "they pay on time" and "there seems to be plenty of work right now." That should be a given, especially the paying on time thing. Otherwise, all I can say is it is a low-paying job that sucks the life and vitality out of me every day, driving my feeling of self worth a little bit lower, and taking away my hope for any kind of a future. ...

Another Company To Stay Away From Is
Sep 25, 2012

TransTech.  They will offer you great pay, but when you get going good and fast, they tell you to slow down!!  Beware!! ...

One Company To Stay Away From Is Fast Chart
May 04, 2011

One company to stay away from is Fast Chart, but they OVERHIRE BIG TIME, and you cannot make a living, always running out of work, they ask for shifts, but it's a free for all, and they even posted in their newsletter and congats to a VR editor or edited 53,000 lines in a pay period!  Now, tell me how is that possible and maintain 98%, NOT. unless you are glued to the chair with a catheter, and also what about the other eidtors that needed the work!  Letting people work a free for all in ...

Stay Away From Precyse... Horrible Company!
Jun 23, 2015

nm ...

SITS Solutions STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY!!!!
May 07, 2015

WARNING, WARNING   I worked at SITS Solutions and never got paid for the work I did.  I also had an associate that was done the ssame to.  They give a false address on their contarcts 1016 W Franklin St Chicago but when I called there they had never heard of them. They are Indian based and have no US staff. If you want to work for free it's super opprotunity:)   mtpro ...

Would You Stay With Your Company If They Started Sending Some Work Overseas?
May 11, 2012

My company has begun, one by one, sending accounts overseas.  We only have one account left being typed by those of us in the US, and I imagine that one is going over there soon.  They lie to us about where the work is going or tell us that there's just not a lot coming in.  But MT's can go into each job typed and also see the amount of work coming in.  It's obvious that the jobs are now being typed by people whose first language is not English.  I'm ...

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

I Have Norton Antivirus And Everytime It Does Something It Slows My Computer Down.
Apr 11, 2012

Hard to work when it does that.  I have stopped the full system scan and made it at night but Norton still does other things and of course checks all emails and the computer just slows down so far it is hard to work until it is done. ...

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

Where Is All The Help, She Asks
Jun 06, 2015

pssshssst....not on your life! I'm not getting on to work on my Saturday here unless they are coughing up some extra bucks! ...

Hard To Believe What Mgm Asks You To Do
Jan 13, 2013

This past week editing a report and the dictator was giving the diagnosis. By the way this was an ESL so lots of the voice recognition was wrong to start with, numerous corrections had to be made. The guy started out with 1 and then 2 and dictating away. They then said #6 and I did not hear the numbers in between. I sent instant message telling mgm and was told after the fact I should have divided the categories. I am not a physician, could not differentiate that clearly to start with, the guy c ...

TTS Asks If You Are Up For A Challenge, As If Working For Their Sm
May 07, 2013

pitiful wages is not enough a challenge. No mention of paying any higher for this challenging account. Pfooey. ...

On Job Seekers Board, MT Asks "what Is CV And Why Is It Asked For?"
Dec 07, 2009

On Job Seeker's Board, which is for employers to post jobs available, someone who appears to be a job applicant, and seems to be a "new" poster asks:  "What is CV and why would someone ask for that to be included in a job application?"  Since this question might get lost or deleted from the Job Seeker's Board, I sent an e-mail to the poster, but will reply here in case more than one person has wondered.  CV can be the abbreviation for the Latin term Curriculum ...

Okay, Yet Another Person Asks Me "Where Do You Work?"
Jun 12, 2011

I say, I work at home.  They say "What do you do, and where do you work?"  I say I am a Medical Transcriptionist, and I work for blah blah blah.  They say "Are they hiring?".  I say yes all the time.  Then they say "Do you need experience or training?".  I am soooooooooo tired of this!!!!  People thinking they can do what I do, with no training and no experience!  So, they say "Well, I will go to the website and fill out an application and see what happe ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

TTS - Stay Away
Feb 04, 2010

Stay away from this place.  They have no technical support and terrible communication. I tried to work with them for 3 weeks and was never able to work without problems.  The owner told unemployment that my issues were normal technical issues, resulting in my benefits being suspended.  I also spent money on software and upgraded my ISP and she's saying I didn't give enough effort! It's been my past experience that when I start with a new company platform that after a few days ...

Why I Stay
Aug 23, 2010

As much as I hate it here, I feel like I am trapped here. I am getting ready for major surgery and need the insurance. I can't afford to go to another co. and wait for insurance to kick in, plus "pre-existing condition" worries. I could just sit and cry when I start work. NJA and helper pools for hours, plus I don't feel well.  Flame me if you want (usually someone does), tell me how lucky I am to have a job with insurance. I really am beyond caring. Okay, just my private pity p ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
Sep 08, 2010

like many of you, Ive been with MQ for a while, pushing 10 yrs, and like most of you, have gotten spooked by the changes of late.  Mostly the NJA and now the all ME work, which I can finally see, can really be not too much of a big deal. have the chance to either change my status, adding hrs and gaining some PTO, or making a total change and going to another, much smaller company.  Similar MT rate, less for ASR there, no PTO for P/T. feel afraid to make a move either way...is MQ stil ...

Why Do You All Stay?
Dec 27, 2012

I understand all the difficulties involved in trying to get into another line of work but why do so many of you stay month after month when you have no work?  It's not going to get any better.  I have had work but the work is so terrible that I suspect they won't put a lot of MTs on it because they can't handle it.  I've been doing this over 40 years and the work makes me want to cry much of the time.  I'm only part-time and think if I had to do this full-time I woul ...

Should I Stay Or Should I Go ?
Feb 13, 2013

So, the long and short of it.  I have been an IC for the last 15 years.  I have typed for orthopods, general practioners, neurologists, dermatologists, and have done 2 years of acute care (both in-house and at home).  After transplanting to TX and losing my full-time job in MI, I've been searching for that "perfect" transcription job.  I love being an MT .... love the work, the flexibility, etc ... and have been told on many occasion that I am good at what I do ...

Stay Or Go?
Mar 23, 2014

Having a hard time deciding whether I should continue working for MM until they go under and have to lay off everyone and I could collect unemployment or if I should just leave, thereby leaving behind all the stress and frustration that I feel daily. I do not necessarily need the $, but it does help pay some bills. If I stay, I would have to do some training for Fluency and switch to VR from straight transcription. I know my pay will be cut drastically with this change. I'm not sure I ...

Have You Ever Been Told This And If So------
Apr 09, 2010

what would you do about it.  My TL repeatedly tells us to get off the system when the work volume is low because we are taking food out of other MTs mouths because they cannot feed their families or pay their bills because they need to get at least 20,000 lines per pay, but they cannot do that if we stay on the system,and we need to have compassion for them and get off the system so the ones who need it the most can pay their bills.   Even if our line count is not met, they need i ...

Has Anyone Else But Me Been Told....
Aug 08, 2010

That you can't work on any computer besides a Medquist computer?  I don't get along my CCM.  We don't like each other.  I wanted to load my programs on my laptop so I could work when I was away from home, and I was told that was not possible.  I said I had done it in the past.  I was told, not anymore.  Support backed him on it.  But here lately I have heard people talking about working at Starbucks!!!!  That even during training they ...

Has Anyone Ever Been Told
Jul 16, 2012

that you are the only one who complains about pay and the lack of improvement of ASR? Somehow I find it hard that I am the only one on my team who voices their opinion. ...

Let Go Without Being Told
Jul 08, 2014

So I tried to get into mail and it didn't work.  I then tried to get into web clock and it didn't work.  I then tried to get into my regular work platform and again no luck.  Last week I was called about being short an hour and some minutes.  I was questioned about line counts also but was never told I was getting written up or terminated so what the hell?  Has this happened to anyone else with Nuance?  The thing is before this super unprofessional action ...

EMR's , Will This Mean The End Of Transcriptionists Or Is There Something We Can Do To Stay In
Nov 10, 2009

I am curious what the thoughts are about this. Will is be mandatory in a few years that all doctors offices go to EMR? Will this be the end of the medical transcriptionist or is there something we can do now to prepare for the change and still be in this field? ...

Please Tell Me How To Stay Focused!!! Sm
Dec 04, 2009

I have done this type of work for a long time.  The last couple of years I have a terrible time staying focused on my work and not emailing, texting, surfing the web, etc.  I need the money really badly!  What is wrong with me?  I am not destitute yet - I keep asking myself if that is what has to happen before I can get serious and do my job.  I should be able to do 2000 lines a day but instead I am doing 950 to 1000. I am literally sick over it and worry about i ...

Stay Away From ATSI
Jun 10, 2010

They can't even figure out when someone has left their employ. I get an email saying why aren't you working this is an ongoing problem with you we are going to disable your ID Well go ahead because I gave my 2 weeks notice 6 weeks ago!! ...

Stay Employed At TTS
Jun 15, 2011

So, from what I understand, to stay employed at TTS, you basically have to just work and agree with mgmt at all times?  Never question them on anything?  Is that the only thing they are concerned about??!!  No one has ever mentioned how they feel about production met or not, etc.  Not that meeting production would be a problem for me, but if they don't care about that, it makes me wonder what kind of company they are running if all they care about is being right and not being questioned ...

How Do You All Stay Awake? HELP!
Feb 22, 2011

As soon as I start playing the audio, I can't concentrate and I start falling asleep at my desk. I literally have to get up every 15 minutes to keep from snoozing at my desk. Proofing my work is a hassle because, again, audio starts and I'm falling asleep. It doesn't seem to matter how much sleep I get, how much coffee I'm drinking, protien I'm eating, or vitamins I'm taking....nothing helps!  It's getting so bad that my production is seriously slowing dow ...