A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you absolutely had to choose ..help! ..sm - sadMT

Posted: Jul 18, 2012

I've been looking for weeks.  The hospital I've been IC with for years is getting rid of all ICs - going totally VR and keeping only their existing employees.  I've tried to be very selective, looking for that great little company somewhere that would treat me with a little respect and value my years of experience.  Well, now I'm to the point that I need to start bringing in a paycheck ASAP.  I've been offered both M-Modal and Nuance - which were my very last resort, bottom-of-the-barrel options.  I figure I can grit my teeth and take one while I keep looking for that "great" job.  Also, because of physical limitations, I'm unable to work outside of my home - or else I would be applying at Walmart with all the rest of the fed-up MTs.  So, all that said, in your opinion which is the lesser of two evils - MModal versus Nuance....just taking a poll here while I try to make up my mind and convince myself to take the leap into Hades............  thanks in advance for any responses!

the only reason I would say MModal is for the - program, however,

[ In Reply To ..]
Things are just so unpredictable right now there that Nuance might be a better place for stability. ??? I think its a crap shoot either way.

About the same, considering the rumors - that nuance wants to buy mmodal

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone just put a link about that here a day or 2 ago. This field is depressing these days, no matter who we work for. I'm desperately trying to get out, into some other field of work, but the economy sucks, and there is nothing right now. Sorry such a downer.

Hesitantly, I would say Nuance - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you get on an Escription account I think that program is excellent.

I have only 2 negatives about Nuance and that is the low pay, which sounds like MM is the same, and the QA can be a bear. However, if you stay on top of your QA reports and challenge everything immediately, it is possible to get that 99% and your bonus.

Just based on the complaints on the 2 boards here, Nuance wins by a nose.

Plus the 3 team leads that I have had so far have been wonderful at Nuance.

I worked for MedQuist years ago and if MM is still basically the same, I would absolutely choose Nuance.

Nuance. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Having worked for both, I would say try Nuance. I worked for a once wonderful company that Nuance bought out and I'm sticking it out until retirement next year. Good luck to you.

P.S. I've worked on the M*Modal platform and found it cumbersome, lots of extra keystrokes, which we don't get paid for regardless.

thanks so much sm - sadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was already leaning toward Nuance. My one hesitation is that while I have recent experience in acute care basic 4, I've done radiology for years. I know MModal has some radiology - but recruiter for Nuance says they don't do much. Anyway, thanks so much to all of you - I appreciate the info from those who work/worked for either. Additional opinions will be appreciated!

Similar Messages:

Which To Choose...
Oct 16, 2009

The inguinal ligament was lifted up the artery, at which point there was significant amount of bleeding, which was controlled with finger pressure. Do I get rid of was, which I clearly hear, so it makes sense. Or, does another way work? ...

I Choose
Oct 22, 2012

Pay - What Specialty To Choose
Feb 04, 2010

Does anybody know which MT specialty offers the best pay rate?  I was told by one of my instructors that pathology and radiology were this highest paid MTs around.  Another instructor thought that specializing in OP reports would offer the greatest income potential.  Thanks   ...

Everyone HAS To Choose One Of The 2 Plans? You Can't Opt Out?
May 18, 2012

x ...

Typing Or VR? Which Would You Choose As Best Overall?
Jul 28, 2012

Looks Like QA Really Can Pick And Choose!
Jan 04, 2015

After browsing around in FIESA, I found what looks to be an instruction manual for the people who audit us and after looking at it, it sure does look like they can pick and choose which reports to audit, rather than randomly. I have also had the worst dictators audited more than the good ones. Of course it's easier to find a mistake that way and easier to keep our pay down! Remember 7 cpl is really equal to only 3.5 cpl if most of your jobs are VR. ...

Sooooo, Who's The Bachelor Going To Choose? NM
Feb 08, 2010

NM ...

MedQuist Or Spheris? If You Had To Choose...
Mar 18, 2010

Anyone with knowledge of these two companies have any advice for choosing between them (for a new MT)?  Thank you. ...

If You Had To Choose Between Proscript And Transcend, Which Would It Be?
Aug 19, 2010

Just looking for opinions.  Don't see a lot of recent stuff on Proscript on here. ...

Which Keyboard Would You Choose? Logitech
Mar 04, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions! ...

Absolutely No Idea...HELP!
Oct 19, 2009

He had an abdominal ultrasound, which showed reverse lerndalytes and left guaddle veins. ...

HELP! I Have Absolutely No Clue What This Could Be.
Nov 12, 2009

This is a cardiologist dictating a med list.  He spells it out as OTROCEFF.  I tried changing the ceff to ceph tihnking the pt just sounded it out but no go.  Any ideas at all? I am completely stumped here.   ...

I AM ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED.
Feb 18, 2010

Just had a doctor dictate that he told a young woman not to tell her sexual partners that she is HIV positive unless somebody wants to seriously marry her.  He told her just to ask them to wear a condom.  If they wanted to know why a condom, he told her to tell them it was a good idea for everybody to use them with all the diseases that are out there now.  Maybe I'm wayyyyy tooooo old, but I couldn't believe that a doctor was giving a young woman this advice.  ...

Is TransTech Absolutely
Jan 25, 2013

I see they are advertising again.  I told them I'd take their test if they would tell me their line rate which they were nice enough to do (the lousy industry "standard"  8/4).  Worse than what I make now, so I had to pass, as I am trying to escape this crap job altogether.  Can anyone give me a  reason why I might try to get on with them if I were to change my mind? Thanks.      ...

I Absolutely Refuse
May 09, 2015

I absolutely Refuse to do any more VR for less than what straight typing pays. Find another Sucker to fix your jacked up reports. This is not worth my time, I am an Educated Professional.  Do not take advantage of me, I will Not sell myself short! Note to transcription companies:  Speech recognition is Not ready for medical or legal reports. It is more suited for personal or small business use at this point. Continue to push this VR crap and you will lose the good scribes.  Wha ...

If You Don't Mind My Asking, Did Anybody Choose IC Over Employee With Transcend? And Why?
Dec 02, 2009

Still weighing my options and am not sure which way to go.  I understand FT and PT got a cut in pay, but not ICs.  Is this true?  Any other downside to IC status other than the SE tax and being lowest on the totem pole to get work when it's slow? ...

Help: Job Offers From Both Synernet And Amphion. What Should I Choose?
Jan 04, 2013

I have full-time job offers right now from both Synernet and Amphion and I don't know what to do.  They are both for the same shift/days.  Synernet is straight typing and Amphion is mostly VR.  I just don't know what do choose.  Anybody have opinions? ...

Some Employers Are Absolutely Hateful!
Dec 22, 2011

It was not bad enough for them to let me go without any kind of notice, but now they will not tell DHS how long I worked for them so I can get food stamps!!  Thanks DSG!!! ...

Absolutely Ridiculous!! I Just Got Chewed Out By QA
May 07, 2012

for putting potassium was 216.  She said patient safety is an issue here.  I said ok.  I mean with the crap pay I get, they cannot expect me to memorize normal values in anything!!  That is what QA is for, for one thing.  For another, if that is what the dr said or even what it sounded like, that is on HIS shoulders!!  What a crappy job to have!! ...

Okay, Now I Am 6 Hours Into My Shift With Absolutely Nothing (sm)
Jan 30, 2013

and now I'm wondering if they threw me a bone yesterday just to leave me to starve today.  I have been checking every 10 to 15 minutes in between doing things around the house.  Thanks MM, since I had no work, I did get a chance to have lunch with my son who only had a half day of school today!  ...

Absolutely No Motivation For This Job Anymore.
Mar 20, 2015

After 21 years of doing transcription, yes starting with a typewriter, I have no will left to do this job. After searching other companies, it seems the industry is in the toilet. We are at the mercy of companies like Nuance because in-house transcription is a thing of the past. I woke up this morning and realized in the last 16 years I have come full circle, 7 cpl when starting at home, and now most likely back to 7 cpl with this new grid. I don't even see the point in arguing over the QC% ...

On Our Timecards, Do We Choose Report Paid Hours
Oct 13, 2012

instead of Production Hours?  I want to add some PTO to my timecard this pay period but I don't know how.  I went to learning under HR but still can't figure out how to add PTO. Gracias! ...

Keystrokes Or Transcription, Technology & Support.. Which Would You Choose?
Nov 13, 2014

x ...

So Torn That I'm Absolutely A Wreck! Need Advice Please.
May 19, 2012

I've been reading these boards for years, and have never posted. But I'm desperate for some advice. I have worked for years at a very small company as an IC and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, life events threw me a curve and I was forced to find an employee-status job. I thought I landed THE best opportunity. I have been with Accentus for a few months and absolutely hate it. I WANT soooooooo badly to like it and make it work, as I do believe it is one of the better companies out ...

I Leave MModal With Absolutely No Regrets!
Apr 05, 2013

I didn't get let go, fired, or whatever they spin it to be.  On Monday, I got a phone call from a place I was trying to get hired on with.  They had an opening, asked me if I was interested in doing transcribing.  I told them, not really.  But, after she told me that they have brought all transcription back in house, I had to come to the interview, if not for any other reason than that, curiousity.  It seems they tried "everyone" out there in terms of tran ...

Absolutely These Posts Are Monitored, But Who Cares?
Jun 02, 2013

"They" would be foolish not to read these posts.  What a great way to see what their employees are truly feeling...not that that changes anything or that they care.  As to the people who always jump on the people who "complain" (I call it venting), they are just arrogant, aggressive types who love to argue.  The one way below who was outraged that someone can't believe someone would be happy with their job, to her I say, good for you.  You're happy?  Well, you ...

DH And I Are Buying A New Computer. He Absolutely Wants Windows 7. I'm Job Hunting.
Dec 16, 2009

nm ...

Started New VR Job Today On Escription & ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT
Nov 15, 2010

I am so excited!  I started a new job today and I absolutely love my account and editing VR on this platform.  I made pretty good lines in just a couple hours using none of the VR key combinations because I haven't started utilizing them yet (figure it will take time to learn them) but I don't think avg. 300 lph is too bad on first day huh?  I was worried and now I can't imagine going back to transcribing, seriously.  I hope tomorrow and each day after is as go ...

I Absolutely Hate The New Group I Was Recently Transferred To.
Dec 30, 2013

I was transferred only about about a month ago (stolen according to my last TSM). This is a new account. Every single week it is something. I was moved to this group " because I had no production problems and no quality problems" according to my previous TSM. Thus far, I have failed 1 audit by 0.15 points, followed by passing an audit, and I have had, according to the email subject, targeted audits 3 out of 4 weeks. I got an email stating I had failed my targeted audit (1 error - date), and ...

Social Security. HaHa! Tried To Apply-absolutely Frustrated
Dec 03, 2009

First, they took almost $300 off me back in the '90s because I didn't pay for a year.Does wages of $37 and payment of $2 to SS count? The following year, it shows no income. Okay, maybe I didn't work that year but I still had 40 credits then. Now, I tried to apply and they want my W2 for 2008 according to the online applications. SS called me today. They show no wages for me in 2005. Send a W2, but they do have 2008 and  i don't have to send that. They show les ...