A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC versus Employee - Hunter

Posted: May 14, 2011

This post is not what you probably thought it was going to be.  I am not going to list the pros and cons of being an IC or am employee. It appears that MTSOs are "fudging" on these two classifications of workers to get the advantages. For example, as an IC you make your own hours.  There is no schedule; that is the nature of being an IC.  Yet these MTSOs want you to work a set schedule.  Another example:  You are hired as an employee.   Because you're an employee, you shouldn't have to incur work-related expenses such as LD phone charges or buying a foot pedal.   Yet these MTSOs expect you to do it.... without any reimbursement!! If you're contracted as an IC and the MTSO starts treating you like an employee, you can report them to the IRS.   That's because they can't have it both ways:  Getting you to work fot them as an IC but then changing the nature of that relationship.  

IC versus - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you and believe that almost all ICs here should actually be classified as statutory employees. I have delved into this quagmire of rules because I really would like to hire an IC to help me, BUT I don't want to do this wrong and get in trouble and I'm not trying to screw the IC, just need some friggin help :) I once worked as an IC for another transcription company and we would get a contract with EACH audio file (s) stating all specifics for those files. We said how much work we wanted, but they still said when it was to be returned and provided the format. I think to myself that would be the biggest hassle! It was a PIA on my end so I cannot imagine on that end for them. My problem as a small MTSO is I need some help but I also need it done within the time frame of my clients, not the IC's time frame of between shopping and taking care of everything else, and it has to be done according to the specs given TO ME. So if I understand the statutory status correctly, and anyone please correct me if I am wrong, I have to pay the FICA but not the income tax, but then can also determine the outcome of product and how/when it's done. I think. Interestingly, there is a form for ICs to fill out and send with tax forms that they can use to report misfiling by the company regarding taxes withheld. I wish I had known that when I did "IC" work on a required schedule way back when. I would have done so right away! But I do agree with you on this issue and it needs to be defined more. There is a section for homeworkers on the IRS site now that was not there before and it is also under the statutory section.

Similar Messages:

IC Versus Employee?
Aug 02, 2011

Would anyone care to share their preference as to IC versus employee? I am curious as to which is best and thinking of switching to employee status.  ...

Employee Versus IC
Apr 17, 2012

Can anyone give me feedback on switching from IC to an employee from home? I'm thinking about doing it but unsure if it would be wise .. It seems like the grass would be greener on the other side (in terms of benefits, W2 status for taxes, etc) but I hate to give up my freedom as IC unless it is REALLY worth it in the end. Also, is making 8 cpl after 4 years reasonable wage? Thanks for any input!! ...

IC Versus Employee AGAIN
Mar 26, 2013

I just started as an IC with a company I really like but they want me to work 8 hours a day. No problem. But it has to be a set time each day on a schedule submitted in advance and I have to let them know in advance if it changes. Now the reason I work as an IC and give up the benefits is so that I have flexibility. I had thought that as long as I work the number of hours during the morning or afternoon they want, I can't be held to a set schedule. Why do companies ALWAYS think they can ...

Employee Versus IC PT Status
Nov 23, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow with a company for PT employee status.  I have been an IC for many years and love it.  I am a bit concerned about going employee as I am used to the flexibility of being able to take time off for my kids' school parties, fall, winter and spring breaks and such without it affecting my job.  Can anyone give me a clue as to how employee status works and if some companies are more flexible than others?? I would love to stay an IC, but haven't f ...

IC VERSUS EMPLOYEE STATUS
May 09, 2011

I have an opportunity from two different companies. One is IC and the other as an employee. I have been an IC for so long.  What is the pros and cons of both.   TIA ...

Employee Versus IC--opinions?
Oct 31, 2012

I would like others opinions on employee versus IC status. I don't want to pass up an opportunity because its IC as I have been mainly applying to companies who offer employee status. Thanks! ...

IC Versus Statutory Employee
May 01, 2013

Can someone please explain the difference between an IC and a statutory employee, I have looked it up and am not clear.  I understand that statutory employees get social security taken out, when ICs get nothing taken out, but what are the other differences? Thanks. ...

Employee Versus IC Status
Sep 17, 2014

I have been a medical transcriptionist for 22 years' and have worked as an employee for most of that time.  I am still about 10 years out from retirement and am trying desparately to hang on to my beloved profession of medical transcription, but I am seeing it slip away from me little by little.  Companies who hire employees seem to seldom have enough work to go around, harangue their employees through QA, and tie benefits to production.  All these things combined are making it difficult ...

TTS Insurance..IC Versus Employee Status
Jun 04, 2010

I am considering TTS (Transcription, Technology, and Support) and was wondering what anyone could tell me about their insurance such as rates, etc.  Also, I'd like to hear from both IC and employees there.  I didn't know which would be the best way to go.  Thanks! ...

Can Someone Explain IC Versus Employee Status?
Mar 01, 2011

Can someone fill me in please.  Despite doing this for over 15 years, I still don't understand the "independent contractor" posts.  I have always been a straight employee at services.  What is the difference and what are the pros and cons?  Thanks for your help! ...

Very Informative Post About IC Versus Employee
Jun 03, 2012

The IRS Gives Employees a Whistle to Blow and Employers a Safe HarborBy Peter Milne | Published: May 5, 2011The IRS has given an employee worker wrongly clas­si­fied as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor a very loud whis­tle to blow and employ­ers the means to obtain an advance deter­mi­na­tion of worker clas­si­fi­ca­tion to avoid future dis­putes and tax liabilities.When is a worker an employee or an inde­pen­dent con­trac& ...

Pros And Cons Of IC Versus Employee ??
Jan 02, 2015

x ...

Independent Versus Full Time Employee
Sep 14, 2010

What is the benefit of working as an independent? Is the pay different? ...

Independent Contractor Versus Employee Status
Jan 16, 2011

Can anyone tell me if there are any advantages to being an independent contractor versus an employee?  I'm worried about being able to set aside taxes if they are not taken out automatically -- I work because I need the money and would prefer to not have to "bank it" for taxes later.  Seems like it is getting harder to find employee status jobs thay are not voice recognition / editing positions.  ...

Employee Status Versus Independent Contractor
Mar 13, 2015

Can someone tell me which position is more financially rewarding? Do ICs get 401k and whatnot? Basically, can someone tell me the differences between the 2?   Thanks so much. I am an idiot with money and taxes. ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

IC Or Employee?
Jan 18, 2011

Looks like the law is as gray as I've always thought. ...

IC Vs. Employee
Sep 01, 2011

I have only had one long-term position as an employee for an MT company. Left to get some work out in the "real world" but am in a position to return to an at-home job. Can someone explain the differences between an IC and an employee? What can I expect from applying for those jobs, and how does it affect your taxes, etc.? Thanks in advance!  ...

New Employee
Sep 15, 2011

Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever post anything friendly, kind, useful, thankful, etc. regarding MedQuist? Iâm a new employee and due to a recent acquisition would be out of a job without their support. Before accepting the offer I researched the company quite a bitâ¦M*Model merger, DocQscribe, stock prices and company growth to name a few. All this enables me to say that Iâm employed by the #1 transcription company in the country and dang proud of itï ...

Possible That I May Be A MQ Employee Soon
Oct 20, 2011

Hi everyone,  It seems the hospital I am employed by may be outsourcing completely to mq. Rumor has it, if this happens then the 20 or so MTs will be going to MQ or not have a job. Can anyone tell me what I am looking at if that happens, trying to figure out if I should be looking for employment elsewhere.  here are my main questions:  1.  Is there a starting pay or is everyone paid differently? 2.  Is there a schedule or is it flexible? 3.  What kind of benefi ...

New Employee Help
Sep 10, 2012

Has anyone out there accepted a job but then not been able to work because of technical issues?  I accepted a FT transcription position, did the necessary paper work and went through the remote set up on my PC.  I trained on the platform for 2 hours and spent another hour or so beginning to learn the account specs and editing a few voice files, all of that went well. The next time I tried to sign in, I could sign in to the VPN but not Ex Editor, it says to contact the system administra ...

As A FT Employee, Do I Have To
Sep 19, 2012

take lunch?  If you say yes, please provide some sort of link/proof. ...

Which Is Better, Employee Or IC?
Dec 16, 2014

I am a part time employee of an MTSO. In California the min wage is $9/hr, which means at 0.85/line for editing my LPH must add up to $9, while MTs in other states may only have to make $7.50 or so to remain employed. My Team Leader said that is somewhat unfortunate for me; as a 1 year out-of-school newbie I'm not as fast as other MTs.  A few years ago I was an IC and I recall they did have a minimum line count per day but I don't recall having to produce more than ...

Statutory Employee ?
Feb 11, 2010

Just exactly what does statutory employee status mean?  I was recently changed from independent contractor to this?  Never was that before, I don't quite understand it.  Please help.  Thanks in advance. ...

Medquist Employee
Feb 28, 2010

Does anyone else work for Medquist? I have been working for them for 8 years now and am getting really fed up with their unrealistic policies!! I swear 85% of the executives for that company have never even transcribed one report including my own supervisor. They want to you to maintain 98% accuracy while following every single clients nit-picky policies and then having to translate about 85% of the transcription received from foreign doctors....while maintaining a 150 line per hour production b ...

Sounds Like They Want An Employee, Not An IC
Jun 30, 2010

"Surgical Notes a national provider of transcription services for ambulatory surgery centers has an immediate part time opening for a qualified QA/Proofer.  The independent contractor position will be from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST Monday through Friday. The pay is $17.00 per hour." It's not a bad offer, but considering taxes and insurance.... it's probably closer to 12 bucks an hour, not to mention the hours/days set. ...

Statuatory Employee
Apr 27, 2010

Curious to know if anyone on this board is a statuatory employee with the company they are working for and outside of the company paying your SS tax and FWT, do you get any type of benefit, i.e., PTO, health, etc. Is it strictly just for tax purposes? Would you get a W2? Do you have to adhere to a schedule? I was a "stat" employee many years ago, when I first started and don't remember if it was just for the tax thing or if I got any benefit/s also. Thanks for any info. ...

If The Going Rate For An MT Employee Is (sm)
Sep 09, 2010

8 to 8.5 cpl why in the world are MTSOs only offering 7 to 8.5 cpl for IC status?  Don't they know the cpl is supposed to be higher for IC?  ...