A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC for 7 cents a line for straight transcription....sm - oldMT

Posted: Aug 23, 2011

and 3 cents for VR?  Unbelievable!  That equates to about 5 cents and 2 cents per line respectively after taxes, and they require a second or third shift schedule.  Are they serious?  I guess some MTs are content to work for little more than minimum wage.  Too bad!

Sad. (nm) - Zville MT

[ In Reply To ..]

Well - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't necessarily think it is that we are content to work for these wages per se.... I know for me personally while the wages are low, bottom line I make more doing MT/editing that I can make at a job outside of the home and get to be there to see my girls off to school and to welcome them home, and then get to be there for them during the "critical" time between 3 and 5 p.m. when lots of kids get into trouble. I also don't have to dress up, and I get to clean a bit when I take my 15 minute breaks.... all in all I could not make what I make, be here for my kids, and get to keep up on housework, and not have to worry about dress codes or office politics. I certainly do understand the frustration though:)

Awful wages for an IC... I hope nobody accepts this - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
Please people do NOT accept this. I was an IC working for 9.5 cpl 2 years ago and at least I made a living... no VR, just straight typing. That is simply highway robbery and people need to "call them on it."

I have to agree ... with Just Me - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
It's an issue of choosing what is most important to you. Sure, I'd love to make what I did back in the early 1990s (7 to 8 cpl for gross lines), I feel that the #1 issue for me is having total control of my schedule. I've got insomnia and also spinal arthritis, and I will never again be able to work a full 8-hour shift, even with two 15-minute breaks and an hour for lunch, like "in the old days." After that, I think of the money I save on clothing and transportation. Sure, the extra tax load is no fun, but the other issues are important to me. That, plus working on accounts where most of the doctor actually speak English. There's a few ESLs, but nothing that I get into a twist over.

Unfortunately, someone will. nm - sad face

[ In Reply To ..]
nn

sad wages - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Approximately a year ago I was making 8.5 cents/50 character line, great docs. The only thing was the owner NEVER paid on time, at times I waited 2 months. Only reason I stayed was because the pay and the doctors. Then she cut the pay to 8 cpl, sighting companies going overseas(no idea why that would affect what she already had), oh and the economy. Second pay cut to 7.5 cpl, sighting the economy, oh and she was starting a HUGE campaign ad, which I asked her about on the phone one time and she forgot she was having one. Third pay cut came, now 7 cpl and went to a 65 character line, sighting this time that all other companies paid this amount so wanted to line up more with them. What a bunch of you know what.

Not necessarily - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
While I don't agree with that ridiculous pay the OP was quoting, I know my boss (small MTSO in business for 30 years that ended up closing) had a difficult time trying to keep us at our pay scale because she was competing with MTSOs that were continuously under-bidding us. Yes, while doctors want us, administrators just deal with saving money so every year we had to deal with the whole bidding situation. I know now, for example,paying us shift and weekend differential, she was actually losing money. Your owner citing pay cuts because of those companies outsourcing could be valid.

understand - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I can understand what you are saying, but she could have given us plausible reasons like you have mentioned rather that this muck she was trying to come up with.

I wouldn't work for 7cpl/3cpl even if it were a fully - benifitted employee position. But IC? Sheesh!

[ In Reply To ..]
But, I guess there's a sucker born every minute. And that's what these greedy companies are banking on.

7 cents per line - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't accept these positions regardless whether employee or IC. They are lying to us and as long as we accept these positions the pay is going to continue to go down to where we are working for next to nothing, (which we already do even at 8 cents per line). We are cutting our own throats here and I for one refuse to work my butt off for this pay and have to stand in the food stamp line. Lets not mention health insurance which most all of us can't afford now.

7 cpl - anniep

[ In Reply To ..]
so what do you think is a respectible cpl wage? I don't really have a lot to compare it to. I have 7.5 and i'm good with it. of course i would love more, but i like staying home, and totally depends on how focused i am. Is there a difference between companies on how character lines are determined? Coz I know I'm earning the 7.5 cpl on more than 65 characters per line.
7 CPL - tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, 7 cpl, now figure how much work you do for free, demographics, cc copies, finding doctors, what about when the doctor changes his mind and wants a whole line or paragraph deleted, research we do not get paid for. So then what cpl are you actually working for when you take all of that into consideration. What other line of work requires you to do any or part of your job for free? We have allowed the MTSO to low ball us and we accept it, and so have I, but this is where I will take my stand. I will get a job at Walmart before selling my knowledge for less than its worth. For me enough is enough. They are welcome to send my job to India or wherever cause I won't do it for any less than what I am making now (9.25 cpl).
I am just hoping that one day we will see - MY2c
[ In Reply To ..]
this whole line count thing collapse and hospitals and services will have to start paying a decent hourly wage to everyone with good skills, maybe with some sort of incentive. I know there will be some who come on here and go on and on about how they make 30 and 40 an hour doing this, but most of us are not so fortunate. And I doubt even those folks are making that every hour of every day they work, because there are too many variables now. I think the 18 to 20 dollar range would be a good place to start per hour, but I am probably just dreaming. Otherwise I don't see anyone doing this job anymore even for stay-at-home pin money because it takes too much education and training.
per line - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, there are people like me, desparate, needing a job, applied to over 1,000 companies in the last 3 years and have no job that will take the 7 cpl. When you are desparate, man, you will do it.
It's desperate not desparate - go for it anon!
[ In Reply To ..]
Wake up MTSOs!!

I agree - with you sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You can bet they're not charging less. Unfortunately, there will always be someone who will work for peanuts. Wait until it goes to 6 cpl and it will sooner than later. I agree with the other poster, I'll work at Walmart before I work for 7 cpl. And to the MTSOs, I've seen the work put out by transcriptionists with little experience. You get what you pay for. **Not to say that ALL transcriptionists with little experience are bad (I was a newbie once too). I have 19 years experience and I won't work for 7 cpl.

The reality is that if you are making 5 cents a line....sm - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
after taxes you could make $15 an hour if you consistently transcribed 300 lines per hour, $10 an hour for 200 LPH, about half of what I make as an employee with benefits. Very sad. Where is the benefit of being an IC if you are required to work a schedule, especially second or third shifts? I hope the IRS comes down on all of these MTSOs.

Oh, I do too, VTMT! - IRS NEEDS to get involved...

[ In Reply To ..]
For an experienced MT doing straight transcription, 9 cpl was average for employee status in the early 90s and just look how much has been taken away since then. What is particularly infuriating is to hear corrupt politicians and greedy heads of corporations referring to India as our ''global partners'' and blaming the victim, the American MT, pontificating about the need to retrain and change with the times. Nothing but BS--Our jobs have NOT been phased out or made obsolete. It is NOT akin to when the automobile phased out the horse-and-buggy. VR, generally speaking, does a miserable job and can NOT replace an MT (except maybe with the most basic radiology work). MT's are very much needed. MTs DID retrain to VR, and in return for our efforts, we were kicked in the throat with increasingly insulting line rates and more and more work sent to India by corrupt corporations. It's a corrupt game of dirty pool that, unless there is some government intervention, the American MT has no chance of surviving---unless as the other poster said she is just working for ''pin money''. Do these greedy politicians pontificate and condescend also to the people who have been given our jobs and who can, unlike the American MT, AFFORD to work for peanuts?

Similar Messages:

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Transcription Doctors' Ad For Paying 3 Cents A Line
Apr 16, 2012

Hey, I thought the moderator "unposted" the jobs that were posted here if they paid less than 4 cents a line.  I wonder whatever happened to that?  It seems like I read that somewhere, anyhow.  At 3 cents a line, TTD is  beginning to bump up against the states' minimum wages.  The only way that I see that they will be able to get around that is by saying they will hire independent contractors only, and I don't think we are all so stupid as to take 3 ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

If You Thought 8 Cents Was Bad, 6 Cents/line Is Downright Insulting
Apr 13, 2010

RE:  Posting on the job seekers board.   ....especially for something like psych where you can't make as many big normals like you would be able to do with other specialities. I would have liked to work some extra on some psych accounts, but that pay is just disgusting. ...

How Is 5 Cents A Line For QA?
Aug 18, 2010

I've been offered 5 cents to QA, I used to QA hourly but I've come to realize hourly isn't offered much anymore.  I'm getting carpal tunnel, which is quite painful, and I'd love to type less and still make money.  Is this rate too low??  I'd also be independent contractor, but I don't mind IC.  ...

Cents Per Line
Aug 29, 2010

Were you recently employed by Medquist, OSi or Transcend?  What is your rate per line?  How many previous years of MT experience?  Where do you live? ...

6 Cents A Line??
Oct 19, 2010

Surely they jest!! ...

0.375 Cents Per Line
Feb 23, 2012

Why not just ask for volunteers and be done with it? ...

6 Cents A Line!!!
Mar 28, 2013

Why don't we just transcribe for free and get a charity deduction!!!  LOL  It just keeps getting worse and worse.  So depressing. ...

Job Offers: 0.04 / 0.05 Cents Per Line
Jul 30, 2010

Hello all.. this will be my first real job.. I've applied at several places, taken the tests, sent in resumes... and now I'm getting calls with job offers. These people are company owners who sound very nice and legitimate, but what I'm being offered sounds pretty low.  The first company says: 0.04 cents per line, and the second one says they pay 0.05 cents.  The second company says they pay by the "byte" rather than by the line.  You take the total number of bytes ...

QA Rate 3.5 Cents Per Line??
Sep 25, 2010

It is just me or is 3.5 cents per line for quality assurance editing sound like a very low rate of pay, or is that the norm now a days? ...

6 Cents A Line...MT Is Becoming A Joke
Oct 18, 2010

There is a new job posting for 6 cents a line....this field of work is becoming more unappealing every day; to think I have given this field 37 years of my life including weekends and holidays, I have never taken such big step backwards.  Barely making minimum wage these days.  I remember the good old days..... ...

Any Companies Pay More Than 4.5 Cents Per Line On SR/VR?
Dec 15, 2010

I've been working for a national company for over 5 years and all of my accounts have been transitioned to 100% SR work at 4.5 cents per line (a far cry from what I used to make).  I'm now basically making minimum wage due to all the editing that needs to be done to these reports (and we've been on SR for over a year now).  They keep making changes to improve SR but it's just getting worse and worse.  From what I've read it sounds like 4.5 cents per line i ...

How Much On Average Does 8 Cents A Line Come Out To Be?
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious as I have never been paid by the line, how much does getting paid 7, 8, 9, 10 cents a line average out to be.  I realize it all depends on how fast you are but say on average???  What do most companies pay?  Thanks! ...

7 Cents A Line W/o Spaces!!
Oct 24, 2011

There has got to be something better than this!!  Any one know of any companies that pay more than this for subcontractor with 4 years experience? ...

5 Cents A Line With Templates
Jun 20, 2012

I'm wondering if 5 cents a line with 40% templates is a decent pay rate.  This is all straight typing, no VR.  Anybody else in this situation?   I need to make a decision.  Thanks for any info! ...

Would You Work For 5 Cents A Line?
Jul 28, 2012

I was offered a job making 5 cents a line for straight transcription.  Is that an insult or a fair wage?  ...

Whatever Happened To 8 Cents A Line?
Aug 03, 2013

When I took the Career Step course not even 5 years ago, the industry supposedly was paying on average 6-9 cents a line. I worked in a hospital at an hourly wage for a few years and was recently laid off and am working at one of the online companies now - and I REALLY want to know what happened to the 6-9 cents a line I was told was industry standard FIVE years ago? I'm making 4 cents a line now -- how does an industry pay LESS 5 years later? ...

IC Pay Creeping Further Down To 6 Cents/line?
Sep 16, 2013

And a required test as a further insult? ...

IC Line Rate Of 9 Cents Per Minute?????
Apr 02, 2010

I have never heard of being paid by minute of dictation. What would you say is fair for an experienced MT doing acute care as an IC? Is 9 cents per minute low, or is it just me? Anyone have any input on this or experience with this type of pay plan? Thanks in advance. ...

Company Offering QA 3 Cents Per 65 VBC Line?
Aug 02, 2010

Those are slave wages to a highly experienced QA person.  What is the industry stooping to these days? ...

Flat 4 Cents A Line Starting Feb 1???
Jan 15, 2011

Noticed in the MQ MT "rewards" plan  (wow I can't even type that w/o laughing), that as of Feb 1 the pay will be a flat 4 cents per line for ASR.  It does say this applies to new hires only; however, it says if hired prior to Feb 1 the editing  rate will be "equal to the greater of 60% of the transcription base rate."    What does "equal to or greater of 60%" mean exactly?  Does that just mean 60% of your regular straight transcription rate like it is now?&nbs ...

6 Cents A Line Blended Rate
Sep 25, 2013

so ive been offered a position at 6 cents a line for both straight and SR.  these are new accounts and we have to train the VR so in a few months it should be 80-90% VR.     Thoughts? Opinions?   ...

I Just Got Offered .50 Cents Per Line And Wondered
Mar 25, 2014

what is the going rate for most MT jobs per minute of dictation? Help! ...

Question Re Bayscribe Cents Per Line
Apr 04, 2015

Am I understanding correctly that we will only be paid 7.5 cents per line if we don't produce 150+ LPH? Thanks in advance! ...

7 Cents A Line, IC, No Bonus Incentive Program...sm
May 13, 2010

Would you bother? It's clinic work, so it should be easy, but I don't think I could make a living on that. ...

Does Anyone Work ONLY QA (no Typing, No SR) And Get Paid By Cents Per Line
Jul 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question, but please no snide remarks.  If you do not have any constructive comments, please move on.   If you only do QA and are paid by cents per line (NOT hourly), how do you make any money or plan your day.  Are you not dependent on how many reports other Medical Transcriptionists send to QA?  So, if everyone is just spot on and only 1 or 2 reports make it to QA in an hour, how do you make any money?    I saw the ad on the Job Seeker& ...

RE: Post Below About New Hire With 30 Yrs Exp. Offered 4 Cents A Line
Nov 03, 2010

She says the offer was "set in stone."  This makes me believe that MQ is going to either try to cut everyone's ASR pay to 4 cents a line.  They will either get rid of the ones somehow (nit pitting followed by QA pay cuts, making "tweaks" to DQS that are annoying and slow us down, causing up to want to quit, etc) or we will accept their new "set in stone" rate.  They will sugar coat it by saying, "We are ONLY reducing your ASR pay not your regular transcription rate" and then ...

Question About 7 Cents A Line With Spaces Counted
May 10, 2012

I have a question:  I currently make 8 cents a line, but it is VBC.  If I had a job that paid 7 cents normally, but paid for spaces and other things in the report would one be coming out ahead making at least 8 cents a line or may be even more when it is all figured out?  Has anyone ever done this and actually making more $$$ by making the 7 cents a line instead of 8 cents?   I used to have a job that paid 10 to 10.5 cents a line, but they sold out. I was just ...

I Feel Like Basically When U Do VR U Work For 4 Cents Rather Than 8, Same Line #'s
Feb 17, 2015

just sayin' ...