A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am so angry, this might not make sense, I am hoping it will......sm - Cyndiee

Posted: Dec 14, 2011

I have been a very successful MT (mostly) for over 18 years, building up my experience, my abilities with ESL and difficicult dictators, constantly growing in knowledge, and each time fought to be careful with which job I chose and to better myself each time.

Okay, I know things are tough, but I just read something really ABRASIVE AND SAD. An ad that touts loudly "ALL STRAIGHT TYPING" "YAY"!! Very celebratory.

Next line----and this is for experienced ACUTE CARE -- 7 cpl.

I made that back in the mid 90s and thought that we were growing, moving forward, and that with all the very hard work, I would never have to go BACKWARDS in pay. WAY BACKWARDS!!!!!

So, now we are having "all straight typing" flashed in front of our hungry eyes like a SUPER PRIZE, an honor to be highly sought-after, nah, NEVER MIND THE CPL, girls, you will be STRAIGHT TYPING!!!! (and I will say with all honesty that my last job that I was at for several years, I was making 8.5 for a GROSS LINE, which was on average about 11 to 13 cpl in line count and pay.

As long as we fall for this payment, we will be stuck as veritable chattle and serfs for the rest of our miserable lives, or we can get our own accounts, which I am in the process of finally buying a call-in voice system for my docs rather than be told I have to make what I was making 30 years ago....or we can quit, retrain, whatever. I have never been as disgusted to be in this field as I am right now. Look on the Job Seeker's board and you can find this wonderful ad. Sorry if you think I am too snarky, this really hurts after all this hard work and the investment of really my life's work.

Yay for straight typing at 7cpl....... a Joke - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
I just saw that ad and hope NOBODY applies for them. Not only would it be bad for an employee status, but they are asking for IC status, which when all is said and done, you would be working for about 4 CPL........ These people make me sick and how unprofessional to put "yay straight typing". I am an employee at a MTSO part-time and make much more than that...

Please people, do NOT apply for jobs that low especially as an IC........

the heyday of MT is gone - em

[ In Reply To ..]
A friend of mine has a small MT business and she is losing accounts left and right to EMR. She's very frustrated like you, that she spent all these years building her experience and her business and now it's all falling apart.

I'm afraid the peak of MT has come and gone. I'm investing my time and energy in getting out.

Very true... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing happened with the last company I worked for 20+ years (and had been in business for 30 years). Small, the owner valued her employees, good pay, 5 weeks of vacation, etc. She lost accounts to EMR and so had to to close up shop and retire. It didn't matter how the doctors felt; administration makes the decisions now. It's sad because it's just going to keep happening more often. Unless you work for doctors who actually make the decisions, it's inevitable that jobs/pay will be cut due to point-and-click EMR, Epic, offshoring, etc.

Agree. That employer advertises all the time - because no one will work for them

[ In Reply To ..]
People are on to them. They specify a very specific schedule and then go on to say that as an independent contractor, blah, blah, blah. I don't think they can get any one to work for them at any rate.

So, as our payscale, benefits, and general work environment are all....sm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
getting downgraded very quickly to "below newbie" levels (or at least what the Newbies USED TO GET), why don't these companies save themselves a lot of aggravation and stop making themselves so ridiculous, and just finally take ALL the MT JOBS RIGHT OVER TO INDIA, THE PHILLIPINES, ETC.....most are going that way now, and now we want 10-year-experienced, acute care MTs in all specialties and subspecialties, working as ICs without benefits or time-off, working at the same wages as 30 years ago??? And we who have been here all this time KNOW THIS and can verify it with our check stubs! Oh yes, and we will call you an IC, but you MUST WORK WEEKEND DAYS, YOU MUST WORK BETWEEN SO-AND-SO HOURS, WE WILL SET YOUR SCHEDULE AND HOUND YOU TO KEEP IT, in flagrant offense of Working Status Laws with the I.R.S......BECAUSE WE CAN!! yes, we can get away with it as we downgrade you and take more and more of your jobs away, tell you how grateful you should be for "the benefit" of working at home. What? It is a BENEFIT for the company, we use our own equipment, references, electricity, office space, DSL/connectivity, EVERYTHING, while giving up the above-mentioned accrued time-off, any benefits, ....oh yes, it is "PushMe-PullYou", the creature who had to have it both ways!! When I had to work at home in order to raise my three children, it was the HARDEST JOB EXPERIENCE ANYONE CAN HAVE if you try to do it correctly, taking good care of your child/lots of love and interest, while keeping up a vast work load at greaater than 99% accuracy. Yes, that was a REAL vacation. I loved working in hospital, but wanted to be there for my children, always.

So, if we are to get excited because we GET TO TYPE!!! OH WOW!!! at 7 cpl, what a slap in the face of someone who 1)Went to formal college for this as part of an Allied Health Career; 2) Has spent thousands on upgrading a vast library of reference books, electronic dictionaries, newer, better, more efficient PCs and software, and then took all the CMT readiness and practice courses; 3) Payed membership for years for AAMT, as this was said to be a sign of PROFESSIONALISM and DEDICATION.....Okay, enough. Just take the jobs where you won't even have to PRETEND you are fairly employing anyone, you can bring all the jobs to the third world countries, pay everyone 3cpl or whatever they make, I have a feeling they are not catching up on us FAST, and we can finally leave a career that we loved, trained and studied very very hard for, one which we tried to make better and more respected....I am lucky to be able (I think) to retire in about 5 to 10 years, I shall get a doctor practice, of which I have many around here, and just forget about my "MT Career."

I could not agree more or have said it better. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You took my feelings right out of my heart!! - Please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually posted on the main board a couple days ago under a title something like "MT career could be over, blessing in disguise". I've worked really hard to take care of my body in this profession, but I have recently found out about an injury caused from working myself to death at this job. The damage is so bad that even after surgery, I might not regain full function in all digits of my hands; therefore, my MT career could very well be over.

I have cried ever since reality has set in, as I love the work I do and learning every day, but I am sick of where this profession has gone, and how we are treated! We are so much more than what we are given credit for!

This injury may be a blessing in disguise and God's way of showing me it's time to take a different direction in my career. I have gained a lot of knowledge throughout the last 20 years; it's not just about the typing!

Maybe it's time more of you start thinking about doing the same thing before you develop a life-changing injury. I never thought it would happen to me.

Do you have carpal tunnel, because I had to have the surgery...sm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
way back in 1999. I had been suffering increasingly with numbness, tingling, pain and ice-pick feelings in my hand and arm (right) all night long...I had a great neuro surgeon and I healed really quickly and well from it. I immediately went right back to MT, I have flares of pain here and there, especially when the weather is very cold and snowy/rainy, and I surely cannot bowl anymore, but now I am getting it in the left hand, very painful. But I am a fighter. There is nothing left to fight for nowadays, though. I SCOUR numerous MT boards for jobs, and I have tried to maintain my standards. I have been willing to come down a bit from where I was, I realize with this economy we are all battling in different ways, but who in this world is taking an almost 50% pay cut??? And in most cases more demands put on you? Your IC status is not respected??? I just feel that the really experienced, really knowledgeable, really talented MTs are NOT WANTED anymore, we can demand more money (or at least, we SHOULD be payed more money). They want kids who have enough knowledge to be trained like a robot, do what they are told, and "hey, be glad you are working at home, and you are actually TYPING instead of all the crappy VR/SR editing messes with lousy pay!" For the first time, I am downplaying my experience and education, etc.....I am an expensive ANTIQUE right now, an extremely efficient, educated MT who is very well experienced in ALL PHASES, ALL SPECIALTIES, even fantastic in ESL and hard dictators........so what????

No, it's not carpal tunnel; I kind of wish it was! - Takecareofyourself

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a different nerve that affects different fingers. It can actually do a lot more damage if not treated before it becomes severe. It is similar to carpal tunnel as it considered an occupational disease; although, it's not one that we think about getting frequently or at least I didn't worry about it.

I'm glad you healed well from your surgery years ago!! Take care of your body and don't kill yourself for this profession. The more they cut our pay, the harder we have to work to try and make money!! I know that's what happened to me. I quit taking breaks, and I sat in my chair hour after hour afraid my work would run out. It's so not worth it.
I hope you qualify for Permanent Disability! - A small silver lining, at least! -nm-
[ In Reply To ..]

Not only that, but the "straight typing" they're - so excited about is likely the - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
dregs of the dictators. The ones who are too bad to ever be able to use VR, and who are such a pain to transcribe that their inhouse staff (if they even have inhouse staff anymore) won't touch them. Yes, for that *incredible* per-line pay of 7 cents, you'll get ESLs, mushmouths, and interns who think they're dictating the next Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, and change their minds every other sentence. You'll get the narcissists who think they're so doggone special that the rules, be they hospital dictation standards, English grammar, patient care, or even common decency don't apply to them. You'll get lots and lots of broken files, too. All the incomplete dictations, or reports with no sound on them at all. Of course, you'll first spend 20 minutes trying to put together the demographics that they didn't bother to dictate or key in, and after you finally get that mostly filled out, THEN you'll get nothing but dead air, and no report.

You'll spend time looking through those 100-page account specifics as you try to figure out what it is the dictator is asking you to do, only to find it's not covered, because it's never happened before. So yay - you get to spend half an hour on the phone trying to explain it to your supervisor.

Or else you'll be wondering what to do with a report that wouldn't completely download, but now you can't get it to go away, either. It won't download, it won't erase, you can't deallocate it, and shoot - you can't even kill it with CTL-ALT-DEL and the Windows Task Manager. Meanwhile, you can't get on to the next report until this one is gone.

I would be pretty leery of all that rah-rah "straight typing" hype - because it's just far too likely it'll be garbage-work that will earn you far less in the long run.

So sadly, I can almost "bet the farm" that you are right on with that assessment!! :(..... - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Sorry, But Does This Make Sense?
Jan 17, 2010

There is a tachycardia present with a rate of 175 without atopic beats. ...

Does This Make Sense - Please Sm.
Feb 03, 2010

He does s/l weigh with the natural resting position to external rotation.   ...

Does This All Make Sense?
Feb 03, 2010

long day and not sure this all sounds correct. tia.   MRI scan does show a complete tear of the supraspinatus portion of the rotator cuff with a retracted tendon.  It also shows a partial tear of the subscapularis tendon and transverse humeral ligament.  There is also splitting of the biceps tendon in the glenohumeral joint.  He has an anterior/inferior labral tear and some paralabral cysts, and severe degenerative changes in the acromioclavicular joint and some degenerativ ...

Does This Make Sense-
Feb 07, 2010

Knee range of motion is lacking 5 degrees of full extension to 110 degrees, at which point there is soft tissue approximation. ...

Trying To Make Sense Out Of This
Mar 31, 2010

I agree that the MT biz has become extremely hard and frustrating, but I am copying and pasting something I read below because if I had responded to that, it would have been lost, as messages don't get updated on this board, and I would like other's opinions.  "You are absolutely right. I had worked for a couple of other good companies before going back to MQ, and found that the "experience" I got from MQ was not very good at all. The new companies followed the Book of Style 3, w ...

Make Sense??
May 06, 2010

Hypertension ocular losses.  is that right?? does it make sense?? ...

Does This Make Sense
Jul 15, 2010

His psychotic symptoms have always been [s/l a vague and oddness] ...

Does This Make Sense???
Sep 16, 2010

Operative Report PRIMARY PROCEDURE: Rongeur of perforated duodenal ulcer omental patch. He has an accent and I didn't think "rongeur" made sense, and not sure if I should put a comma before "omental patch". I'm very new to this too, so any help would be apprectiated. Thanks ...

Do You Think This Would Make Sense In
Feb 20, 2012

Previous treatment had targeted speech reduction, subjective and possessive pronouns, regular and irregular past tense verb use and answering *wh* questions.     As in who, what, etc.      TIA ...

Does This Make Sense To Anyone?
Jul 04, 2013

Prominent hardware left hip after varus fusing osteotomy?  Thank you if you can help. ...

Does This Even Make Sense?
Sep 02, 2013

I got my very first VR job and I just really hadn't been able to make any money on it and by "not making any money" I mean just below minimum wage and just minimum wage on a GOOD day.  I kept on pushing through, even though I wanted to quit on the very first day, and I finally got to where I was over minimum wage, but working my butt off for $8-9 per hour.  I didn't like it too much, working that hard when I was used to making much more for much less work, but I decided it wa ...

Does This Make Sense?
Jun 24, 2015

... weeks ago underwent "pulsation" of the right brachiocephalic fistula." ...

Word Help Please And Does All Make Sense
Oct 30, 2009

MRI scan results show findings consistent with an anterior dislocation with a probable small *S/L heal saxilation* in the posterior humeral head.  There is a small anterior-inferior glenoid labrum tear as well.  There also is the elongated piece of the posterior-superior labrum 5mm to 4 mm in diameter, which probably is an old detatched posterior labrum. TIA ...

Does This Work Make Sense?
Jan 20, 2010

He had successfully withdrawn from both heroin and alcohol three years ago, but in the last month, began using this obstensis, rapidly increasing the amount tolerated to the amount used on admission ...

Wouldn't It Make Sense
Mar 16, 2010

When you have a report that is with a difficult dictator and within the first few lines you have a blank you know you are going to send to QA - if the report is long and there are a few other blanks you might have to leave but might be able to get if you spent time researching, wouldn't it be better to not even waste time researching those blanks since all the lines are being counted toward your 5% submission rate - it would seem that it would be best to do the rest of the report as quickly ...

Does What I Think I'm Hearing Make Sense?
Mar 29, 2010

Does the following sentence make sense? If so, what does it mean? Thyroid ultrasound was performed gratis for realtime visualization. Thanks! ...

Doesn't Make Sense To Me
Jun 16, 2010

The patient was treated for pneumonia and urinary tract infection source for pneumonia at the hospital and her antibiotics have been stopped. How is a UTI the source for pneumonia? ...

How Does VR Make Sense For The Transcriptionist?
Sep 10, 2010

Company A pays an experienced transcriptionist/MLS 3 or 4 cpl to edit VR.  Company A boasts about how this makes for a faster turnaround time on everything.  Company A tries to tell seasoned MTs with years of experience that their productivity will actually go UP if they learn to be good little VR editors. Company A apparently fails to realize that some transcriptionists can also do basic math pretty well, and can see that they are actually getting paid less to d ...

Bore Out? Does This Make Sense?
Dec 07, 2010

"He does have some osteoarthritis in both knees and that is (bore) out on examination." Thanks- ...

Does E. Coli IgG Make Sense? Please Help!
Jun 11, 2011

The pt has a problem with diarrhea and weight loss. Doc is saying something before IgG, and it sounds like the audio may be skipping or something, but I think I hear her saying E. coli in a distorted way...but sounds like "eatquilla IgG"..would E. coli IgG make sense???     ...

Does This Phrase Make Sense
Jun 02, 2011

The patient had a biopsy study, which showed the anterior wall alive. I clearly hear those words but cannot confirm that statement at all, nor have I ever heard anyone say the same.   Thank you.   ...

Sometimes Certain Rules Just Don't Make Sense
Oct 24, 2011

There are some things that don't make sense to me in regard to certain rules for companies.  At my company, when you send something to QA, you have to put a blank and the number where it is, but if we think something "sounds" like something we cannot put that in because the QA person could hear what we are hearing and not really hear what is being said.  Now, what in the heck is VR then?  Sometimes when you see text presented on screen it may sound like what you are seeing.&n ...

Does This Make Sense? R/O Please...eye Exam.
Feb 01, 2012

The patient has pink eye...doctor says..."There is mild injection of the conjunctiva, both bulbar, and pale pupil on the right eye." Does that make sense? I thought it should be conjunctivae, but he goes on to say that the contralateral side is not injected, which makes me think that I have that sentence written incorrectly or am not hearing something right since "both bulbar" would indicate injection of both sides...right? ...

Orthopaedics-does This Make Sense?
Apr 30, 2012

About two months later he was noted to have an infection and underwent surgical debridement of his Achilles tendon which did involve removal of suture material and partial removal of the ___ of the tendon.  Could the blank be "subs"? I swear that's what he is saying.   Thank you! ...

It's All Starting To Make Sense Now
Jan 10, 2015

I'm cross posting part of something I wrote today on my FB page. Something's up with The Big N. This is my personal opinion only, based on things I've been reading over the past couple of months. The link is to an article that seems to bear my thoughts out. I think Nuance is going to break up into smaller pieces. There's been talk about this over the last year or so, but as usual there is (almost) never a mention about NTS, only the VR side of things and other healthcare en ...

Lumbar X-rays - Does This Make Sense Here?
Oct 17, 2009

The lateral view showed similar findings, both anterior and posteriorly, superior and inferiorly, of the lumbar vertebrae and more significantly **autofusion** was noted at the L4-L5 level.  ...

Does This Make Sense? Getting New Things Today.
Nov 13, 2009

I think he has a little peroneal tendinitis with some super imposed neuritis as the sural nerve crosses the peroneal tendons. tia.   This is new to me and it is not too clear. thanks for any help. ...

Is This Punctuated Correctly And Does It Make Sense?
Nov 25, 2009

MRI scan does show a tear of the medial meniscus, a partial detachment of the meniscal femoral ligament, a lateral meniscus tear, posterior horn complete anterior cruciate ligament tear, and some impaction fractures in the lateral femoral condyle, the lateral tibial plateau, and on the articular surface of the patella, and hemarthrosis in the knee.   tia. ...

CA Median Nerve Make Sense?
Mar 01, 2010

At the same time, he has weakness of abductor pollicis brevis (CA, median nerve) as well as numbness of first finger and thumb on the left (median nerve C6).   I am not sure what he is referring to when saying CA and wonder if this makes sense? ...

Does This Make Sense? Valor/Valour? Sm.
Sep 08, 2011

Dr. states "I wonder whether or not the better part of 'valour' might be to have a pulmonologist evaluate the patient prior to surgery." Or maybe does he mean "value?" Please help! ...